Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-08 15:29:56

Dazz

Dyscalculia anyone?

I'm almost sure most of you know a little or have heard something or more about dyslexia, if not, you'll probably hear more than once in the next few years, because is quite common these days but what about Dyscalculia? apparently right now, unfortunately dysclaculia is not well known and ignored by many teachers, including doctors and parents, not to mention that some are considering this to be a fake way to stay away from solving difficult problems at math, read music, or interpret various schematics, etc, The struggle is equally real as with any other well known affection of this kind, the problem is that there is not enough info about it and for now there is a certain amount of ignorance into this by avoiding intensive research to define exactly how and at what level people get affected by this, informing doctors and especially pediatrics on how to inform parents and how they should behave/react and ofc schools, teachers on how to help or diagnose kids with this problem without making them the clwons of the class. 

So anyone here with dyscalculia? I would like to know what affects you more since it's so different from person to person?

Wooted by: (2)

#2 2015-07-08 17:33:29, last edited by SmittyW (2015-07-08 17:36:26)

SmittyW

Re: Dyscalculia anyone?

I understand that some people just aren't as good at math as others, but to diagnose it as a disorder? I think the term "disorder" is being thrown around too lightly now and days...

inb4 every parent starts claiming their child has dyscalculia.

Wooted by: (3)

#3 2015-07-08 18:08:06

Dazz

SmittyW. wrote:

I understand that some people just aren't as good at math as others, but to diagnose it as a disorder? I think the term "disorder" is being thrown around too lightly now and days...

Well, that's exactly what I was thinking, there is more here than you think, this is ''new'' as a diagnostic recognised only in certain countries but the said affection is not new at all, just unknown by many because of ignorance or lack of information, except now it has a vague theory and a name while before you were called simply stupid or idiot. Just because one (not affected) can't understand it, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, your post shows a lot of the typical skepticism as I mentioned above, people think this is actually an excuse. The brain is extremely complex, why is so hard to understand that this is plausible? especially now that random people are starting to figure out that there might be something to this, after years of struggling with this deficiency. Think about this: do you really think one person, a kid to be precise could endure so much shame in a class room during 5-10 years of school just because is lazy? that's absurd and totally not true, they do really struggle and have to deal with tons and years of shame and laughs from teachers and classmates. If you search a little you'll see this is not so uncommon as some might think. Trust me, the stuggle is real.

#4 2015-07-08 19:04:58, last edited by ILoveBaconYUM (2015-07-08 19:15:57)

ILoveBaconYUM

I don't think this is a huge problem though. Powerful calculators are so easy to use. I could whip my phone out right now and do a trigonometry question in two minutes. Google even has one. I see this becoming less of a thing over time, kinda like how hardly anybody recognises dyslexia now due to autocorret.

#5 2015-07-08 19:21:44

Kirby

I have dyscreativeea, I can't make creative concepts in EE. It's a real disorder, guys.

Wooted by:

#6 2015-07-08 19:37:19

Krosis
Formerly Arkonagames
Website

Kirby wrote:

I have dyscreativeea, I can't make creative concepts in EE. It's a real disorder, guys.

This is a serious thing, don't do it

Krosis.gif

#7 2015-07-08 20:04:16

Ratburntro44
Website

SmittyW. wrote:

I am sure the cognitive psychologists know a lot less than you do.

#8 2015-07-09 06:01:42, last edited by Dazz (2015-07-09 06:07:22)

Dazz

ILoveBaconYUM wrote:

I don't think this is a huge problem though. Powerful calculators are so easy to use. I could whip my phone out right now and do a trigonometry question in two minutes. Google even has one. I see this becoming less of a thing over time, kinda like how hardly anybody recognises dyslexia now due to autocorret.

I guess you're right about this, except there are many more issues such as delay, performance on working memory tasks, inability to visualize mentally, difficulty mentally estimating the measurement of an object or distance,  and many more.

Anyway, since there's no one with this problem here to discuss it I think it's better to put to sleep this thread. I feel bad that some still think this is some kind of joke, generally speaking.

#9 2015-07-09 17:21:51

Evilbunny

Is there any treatment for it? People would probably start taking it seriously if they saw that taking some kind of medicine makes things easier for people with Dyscalculia.

Evilbunny (in cursive)

#10 2015-07-09 17:37:13

Different55
Forum Admin

Locked on request of owner.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

Different551436459833520071

Board footer