Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

calculusguy

Stop being so lenient to the newbys.

Most mods and admins don't warn newbys when they break the rules, such as this, which probably gravedug and was spam at the same time. This should get him 2 warns, but bass5098 simply dismissed it with

Welcome to the forums.

http://eeforumify.com/misc.php?action=rules

I would recommend that you read the list of rules, this post broke a few of them.

But what most people are forgetting: All newcomers "must" read the rules (in quotes because they don't) to register.
Only some people (like me) actually read the rules, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.
The rules say:

A. Breaking any rule will yield one warning, unless otherwise noted.
B. 3 warnings - day ban
C. 4 warnings - week ban
D. 5 warnings - month ban
E. 6 warnings - permanent ban

The newbys don't get what the rules said, [X] warns. This might even make them break the rules more, because they know they won't be warned.
To stop this, mods/admins need to warn ALL rule breakers, not just the people who mods think have read the rules.

Last edited by calculusguy (Dec 25 2011 9:42:27 am)

#2 Before February 2015

plat aka kingpooultra

Re: Stop being so lenient to the newbys.

They give them one chance most of the time. One only. I see nothing wrong with that. It gives newbs time to think next time or they will get a warning.

#3 Before February 2015

Monstar43

Since most new people are either 8-10 year olds whos parents just told them to skip the rules, or are just lazy, the mods give them a chance before they warn them. The system you want is just too strict Calculus. All people make mistakes sometimes.

#4 Before February 2015

calculusguy

Kingpooultra wrote:

They give them one chance most of the time. One only. I see nothing wrong with that. It gives newbs time to think next time or they will get a warning.

The time to think was when the forum told you to read the rules, not when you break the rules.

Monstar43 wrote:

Since most new people are either 8-10 year olds whos parents just told them to skip the rules, or are just lazy, the mods give them a chance before they warn them. The system you want is just too strict Calculus. All people make mistakes sometimes.

Then the parents are noobs. I actually read the rules when I was 10 (I was bored). Its just like reading how to register, not an entire 900 page book.

The newbys don't get what the rules said, [X] warns. This might even make them break the rules more, because they know they won't be warned.
To stop this, mods/admins need to warn ALL rule breakers, not just the people who mods think have read the rules.

#5 Before February 2015

Monstar43

The mods can't just be like "You spammed. Warned." if they just posted. They remind them to read the rules and 2/10 times they actually do and know what to do.

#6 Before February 2015

calculusguy

Then a mod should post like this:

You have been warned for the above post due to it being spam. Please read the rules, and try not do this again.

#7 Before February 2015

Monstar43

You don't understand. A good mod has to be forgiving to new players. They give them one chance to correct themselves and they don't play games anymore. If said newbie doesn't learn, they get banned. The current system is fine and doesn't need to be so strict.

#8 Before February 2015

calculusguy

You don't understand. A good mod need to do what the rules say, or else

#9 Before February 2015

Monstar43

That is a strict mod whom people want to be more lenient. Users and mods alike help newbies read the rules so that they don't get in trouble. If they don't get it, it's their fault. You don't see anyone else complaining, do you?

#10 Before February 2015

Lopoi2

I understand your point calculusguy. But at least in the first time, they just tell to the newbie that what he made is wrong and show them the rules.

But after it, its just warn.

#11 Before February 2015

calculusguy

Maybe a 25% chance that the newby will get a warn? //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

#12 Before February 2015

Lopoi2

In case of 2 rules broken, he should get at least 1 warn.

#13 Before February 2015

calculusguy

So what about my example in the OP? Should he have gotten warned or not?

#14 Before February 2015

Monstar43

Well, it is annoying to see such things, but he is a new person so he needs some leniency. Just one chance like the other people and, as I've said many times now, if they don't get the message, they get a warning. If they still don't get it, another warning then another then a ban. If they STILL don't get it, it's all downhill from there.

#15 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Hey, some people just aren't as sharp as people who have been here for a while.

I'd rather give them a chance to recognize their mistake and fix it themselves instead of forcing the solution on them. If they don't want to fix their mistake then they can enjoy their ban, because it was well deserved.

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

#16 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

Excuse me, did YOU read the rules when it said to? Most people don't. Most of those noobs who break the posts are either banned or just gone within a week.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#17 Before February 2015

Lopoi2

Different55 wrote:

Excuse me, did YOU read the rules when it said to? Most people don't. Most of those noobs who break the posts are either banned or just gone within a week.

This look a bit rude for me. But I think he said he read.

#18 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

Sorry, I didn't mean it to sound rude. But most people do not read the rules when they first join. They read them when they are asked to, when they are warned, or they get banned after post 8.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#19 Before February 2015

calculusguy

Different55 wrote:

Sorry, I didn't mean it to sound rude. But most people do not read the rules when they first join. They read them when they are asked to, when they are warned, or they get banned after post 8.

Actually, I did read the rules before I registered. http://eeforumify.com/viewtopic.php?pid=148105#p148105 Heres the post I explained it.

#20 Before February 2015

Chewy
Banned

Personally, I'm not lenient at all. You may hate me for it, but I'm here to keep the rules, not be your friend.

#21 Before February 2015

calculusguy

Actually, I kind of like you for that, (untill you give me a warn). But doesn't your sig say that?

Ponies love and tolerate, I don't.

#22 Before February 2015

Chewy
Banned

calculusguy wrote:

Actually, I kind of like you for that, (untill you give me a warn). But doesn't your sig say that?

Ponies love and tolerate, I don't.

Sure?

#23 Before February 2015

Krazyman50

The newbies need to learn before being warned. Here's an example of what we mean:

lol hi

^Warned for spam. Read the rules.

Geese it wass msy frirst sday god sioo mean!

^Warned for spam. Read the rules.

Stoppdat! Plewsrze?

^Warned for spam. Banned for 1 day. Read the rules.

How it is now:

lolhi

^Please read the rules, or you will get a warning.

kk sorrz
Nywyz dts nicee lvl u got

[In mods head]
...Mission accomplished.
*Challenge accepted face*

Last edited by Krazyman50 (Dec 26 2011 10:35:22 am)

#24 Before February 2015

calculusguy

The noobs are supposed to learn when they read the rules before they register.

#25 Before February 2015

Monstar43

Krazyman's example is pretty much what would happen if mods would stop being lenient. Newbies would get banned instantly and we'd get almost no new members and a bad reputation for being too strict. Newbies need to learn the easy way before getting blasted with warnings, in other words being told to read the rules before they get banned for being too lazy to read them.

calculusguy 1423707825253607

Board footer