Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

XxAtillaxX

Should Indirect Swearing be Censored?

Seeing as these forums are for a game meant for children, should indirect (not against any individual) be censored?
-
I think recall seeing and being subjected to games regardless of age that has vulgar language in it--I'm not even sure if it's taken seriously in this age; for example, if you look at the PG-13 games that have swearing in it.
-
There could be a rule on the Terms of Service that prohibits registration unless you agree to be subjected to occasional swearing.
-
So, what's your thoughts on this?

signature.png
*u stinky*

#2 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

Re: Should Indirect Swearing be Censored?

I'm happy with what he have right now on the forums. Infrequent swearing or missing the censor isn't punished, but frequent swearing or purposefully going around the censor is. While swearing usually isn't taken seriously anymore, I don't think we should make it a habit. There are other, better words that people can use, and any situation where a swear could be used probably won't be improved by it. Adding a note about swearing on the ToS is a good idea, since there are a couple of users who insist on it.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#3 Before February 2015

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

I think swearing shouldn't be allowed at all, unless it's hidden and clearly has an disclaimer and warning. Like Different55 said, there isn't really many times when swearing would make things better.

Last edited by N1KF (Jan 13 2014 12:17:53 pm)

#4 Before February 2015

Bimps

i think we should add spoiler tags. also: <spoiler>test</spoiler>

#5 Before February 2015

Creature

Bimps1002 wrote:

I agree,im planing some projects and ive like to use spoiler to it.

This is a false statement.

#6 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

That's not related to the topic at hand. We are discussing swearing, not spoilers. Please stay on topic.

- ShinsukeIto

#7 Before February 2015

XxAtillaxX

Different55 wrote:

That's not related to the topic at hand. We are discussing swearing, not spoilers. Please stay on topic.

It could come in handy to regulate swearing, but an option to switch seeing swear words off or not would be handy, too.

reidolol wrote:
Bimps1002 wrote:

So in that case

Hidden text

not too sure about it however.

signature.png
*u stinky*

#8 Before February 2015

Bimps

XxAtillaxX wrote:
Different55 wrote:

It could come in handy to regulate swearing, but an option to switch seeing swear words off or not would be handy, too.

reidolol wrote:
Bimps1002 wrote:

So in that case

Hidden text

not too sure about it however.

i don't understand what's wrong with it, seems fine to me

#9 Before February 2015

Echo!

Technically, I'm not kid safe. So under my name it should say "not kid safe" or something, instead of "member"..Anyway..

I see no need to swear, it adds nothing to a sentence. I find young people just swear to sound cool, and older people swear just because they can... I don't see the point in swearing.

#10 Before February 2015

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

So, this is how I think it should work: The rules would require you to type

Contains profanity; not for young or sensitive readers

when you need to swear for whatever reason. If you do so not outside the spoiler, an action should be taken by the moderator, with the action depending on how bad it is.

Last edited by N1KF (Jan 17 2014 12:59:39 am)

#11 Before February 2015

skullz17

Echo! wrote:

Technically, I'm not kid safe. So under my name it should say "not kid safe" or something, instead of "member"..Anyway..

I see no need to swear, it adds nothing to a sentence. I find young people just swear to sound cool, and older people swear just because they can... I don't see the point in swearing.

I think swearing is useful and is quite powerful in modern language. The fact that it's considered "bad" or "rude" is what gives it that power. It makes a sentence sound more effective, whether in a bad way or a good way.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#12 Before February 2015

Echo!

skullz16 wrote:
Echo! wrote:

I think swearing is useful and is quite powerful in modern language. The fact that it's considered "bad" or "rude" is what gives it that power. It makes a sentence sound more effective, whether in a bad way or a good way.

Why would you need power..? I prefer manipulation to get what I want

#13 Before February 2015

Anch

Swearing doesn't solve anything, and just makes people angry. Especially that there are a lot of young children on this forum.

How do you do a spoiler thing?

Don't click here

Last edited by anch159 (Jan 22 2014 3:27:56 pm)

#14 Before February 2015

Creature

I have a idea: Place the option birthday,depending your age,it will be censored.

#15 Before February 2015

Bimps

Creature wrote:

I have a idea: Place the option birthday,depending your age,it will be censored.

that's actually not a bad idea. no really this idea is rly good

#16 Before February 2015

Creature

Bimps wrote:
Creature wrote:

that's actually not a bad idea. no really this idea is rly good

I know some young peoples put as older people

#17 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

Swearing isn't like drinking or smoking. It's not an age thing; it's a personal preference. And, as this is a forum for a kids' game, the parents should have some input. Age can easily be lied about, and implementing any sort of system involving parents would be hard and can also be lied about. Its allowance needs to be based on the merits of swearing itself.

- ShinsukeIto

#18 Before February 2015

Anch

Different55 wrote:

Swearing isn't like drinking or smoking. It's not an age thing; it's a personal preference. And, as this is a forum for a kids' game, the parents should have some input. Age can easily be lied about, and implementing any sort of system involving parents would be hard and can also be lied about. Its allowance needs to be based on the merits of swearing itself.

Like the old chat system, kids probably don't know their parent's PayPal account, or whatever online money thing they use, so the parents pay 1 cent for them. Although, I don't know why someone's parents would pay to see someone swear.

XxAtillaxX1423712759248673

Board footer