Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

"off topic" discussion

This topic has been modified from its original version and edited for content.

This thread is in reply to the ([not] currently [existing]) most recent posts in the "why is he banned" topic by Meredith and aslai. It was posted as a new topic instead of a reply because a subject like this deserves its own thread.

Aslai wrote:
Meredith wrote:

[...]This post signifies the end of public discussion of the matter, should you wish to take this up please do so in the PM system ( that's what it's there for.)

[...]Also, what's the point of PMs if the whole world can't see when you get mad and rage-delete a discussion?

Sorry to continue discussion but what you've said brings up more points. You can't just make a post like that and expect people to walk away.

First, the situation. PMs are ineffective, because it's only 1 on 1, and nobody cares enough to do it. Creating a new topic has the same problem in most cases. People don't care enough. What should be done in a situation like that? The topic it spawned from would seem to be the best option. After all, the discussion came from the original topic somehow in most cases, so you could consider it an evolution of the original topic in those cases.
The old forums had the same problem. Just because it wasn't the intent of the topic creator doesn't mean it's okay to kill the discussion. How about this: if it's not interfering with discussion, then let it live. Meaningless arguments not unlike the one in here can be ended peacefully with a sentence or two without adding to the argument.

Second, the PM system. It can't be used the way you think it can be used. Until group PMs (sort of like a private topic) are a thing, we shouldn't even bother telling people to move off-topic discussions into PMs, and even then it's not appropriate in many cases.

I'd also like to point out [that] it is NOT okay to go editing posts everywhere. [...]Deleted or modified posts lose a lot of value. Post codification is being taken far too lightly. This [...]is not the main topic of discussion in this thread although you are free to discuss if you have something to say, of course.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#2 Before February 2015

Pingohits
Banned

Re: "off topic" discussion

If I could +rep this more than once without abusing, I would.

791mAP8.png

Different551423713005248427

Board footer