Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

calculusguy

CA blocks!

/|\ Although the end may look like a bot's work, its just me trying to find a way to show how the uses would work. /|\

I had an idea while reading about Conway's game of life. I was wondering if CA (cellular automaton) blocks which follow the game of life should be implemented. There should be 3 types: Dynamic, Perma-on, and Perma-off.

Dynamic:
These blocks dissapear and make more with the regular game of life rules. These will be most common for action things.

Perma-on:
These blocks are always considered to be on for the game of life blocks. These, when stablized by Perma-off CA blocks, can make art.

Perma-off:
Like perma-on, but these are always considered to be off.
Edge blocks are always considered to be perma-off.
Speed:

For an unsaved world, the speed is always set to one generation per .3 seconds and will always be set to on. However, Gol's time will only start if noone placed a CA block for 4 seconds.

For a saved world, there will be a place in the control bar (the thing with modify level) that lets you control the speed, and toggle if Gol is on or off. If it is on, and like unsaved worlds, Gol's time will only start if noone placed a CA block for 4 seconds.
More info:

When a CA block overwrites another non CA block, the block that remains will be the empty block.
Uses:

>Cleaning portions of an open world with a rake.
>Escalators with guns.
>Temporary elevators or moving bridges with spaceships.
>Making challenges out of oscillators such as blinkers, pentadecathlons, or fumaroles.
>Making a line of (EE) blocks in an open world with a wickstretcher.
>Although this might be hard, making moving pointers with guns and eaters.
>New meaning for F-bomb thats not the curse. Your going to have to search for this one...

Last edited by calculusguy (Nov 19 2011 8:06:37 am)

#2 Before February 2015

superk

Re: CA blocks!

Sounds hard to program.

One of my concerns is that if you place the block incorrectly, it spend more blocks which eventually it would troll your world.

Maybe one could set it so that it would only happen within a frame?

Otherwise, great idea!

#3 Before February 2015

calculusguy

Well, the B3/S23 rule doesn't explode very often, so it wouldn't happen very often. However, if you get a methuselah, it might explode, but people won't want to remember the list of those.

Also, what about the 4 second rule? Or what if you just turn off the CA time?

Last edited by calculusguy (Nov 19 2011 9:32:36 pm)

#4 Before February 2015

superk

Sorry, I havn't really looked into that much.From what i knew of it, it seemed a very real possibility.

I think the could be an option for, if you hit the CA blocks, to be sent to a portal. For example, in a gun.

#5 Before February 2015

calculusguy

? So if theres a pattern that makes and cleans up methuselahs (if that exists), and you set it so if you touch a CA block that you lose, you can make an avoider game? That would be cool.

#6 Before February 2015

sportakus1

dynamic is good idea for me :rolleyes:

#7 Before February 2015

calculusguy

Well, the others are mainly used for art, I guess.

#8 Before February 2015

calculusguy

calculusguy wrote:

Bump... Any more ideas or additions for this suggestion?

Bump... Does anyone have any more comments or ideas for this? Also, mods or admins, any way you think this can be implemented?

#9 Before February 2015

superk

Don't triple post. That's my comment.

#10 Before February 2015

calculusguy

No, you are allowed to bump threads after 48 hours. And at least your nicer than smileyxp, who -repped me for doing this.

#11 Before February 2015

calculusguy

Bump... Any more comments, or maybe one from a mod or admin?

#12 Before February 2015

epicsmiley

what are you talking about??

#13 Before February 2015

calculusguy

Read the links I posted.

#14 Before February 2015

calculusguy

Bump... Any more comments? The only two comments were:

Sounds hard to program.

One of my concerns is that if you place the block incorrectly, it spend more blocks which eventually it would troll your world.

Maybe one could set it so that it would only happen within a frame?

Otherwise, great idea!

and

Sorry, I havn't really looked into that much.From what i knew of it, it seemed a very real possibility.

I think the could be an option for, if you hit the CA blocks, to be sent to a portal. For example, in a gun.

Does anyone have any more?
EDIT:

FC challenge!
Challenge: Give some more comments on this idea!
Reward: 10 points

Last edited by calculusguy (Dec 11 2011 7:51:10 pm)

calculusguy 1423737039224393

Board footer