Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-02 04:17:54

SirJosh3917
Formerly ninjasupeatsninja

[Release] NETCHK - A simple solution to handle checking .NET for you!

- DOWNLOAD -

Hello! I have created a small application to include in your projects that automatically check for .NET versions!
It's a batch file that handles Windows OS checking, as well as .NET Framework checking, to handle .NET errors for you!

It comes in two versions:
1) The normal version ( With comments, multiple newlines, spacing, clean code, e.t.c )
2) The compressed version ( No comments, everything compressed by scooping repeats into variables, saving space whenever possible, e.t.c )

Both versions work exactly the same, and the compressed version is more likely for average use due to it saving space to make the download quicker ( not that a few KiB matter //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue )

HNr57at.png
The compressed version, on the left, versus the uncompressed version, on the right

NETCHK is simple and easy to use. Open it with notepad, and then set the desired .NET Framework version, and then close it, and you're done!
Let the user run NETCHK, and NETCHK will tell the user information relating to .NET and their machine:

reS5mVS.png
A picture of NETCHK in some of it's possible states

NETCHK is on Github

- DOWNLOAD -

Wooted by:

#2 2017-02-02 18:02:48, last edited by LukeM (2017-02-02 18:04:11)

LukeM
Website

Re: [Release] NETCHK - A simple solution to handle checking .NET for you!

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:

0408rcp_xp1.ashx
2015-11-0212-18-08.jpg

Just to let you know, those are very outdated statistics, ive quickly found some more recent data (I think the percentages are % of all computers):
Windows-OS-Chart-304x288.png
Windows XP is hardly used by anyone now, so I wouldnt worry about having support for it

In my opinion, you could probably just write next to the download link 'If the bot doesnt run, make sure you have .net X.X+ installed'

#3 2017-02-02 18:23:09, last edited by LukeM (2017-02-02 18:24:29)

LukeM
Website

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:
destroyer123 wrote:

Windows XP is hardly used by anyone now, so I wouldnt worry about having support for it

That's like saying "Armour Games is hardly used by anyone to login to EE, so I wouldnt worry about having support for it".

destroyer123 wrote:

In my opinion, you could probably just write next to the download link 'If the bot doesnt run, make sure you have .net X.X+ installed'

But how does the user check if they have the .NET X.X+ installed? Why do I have to check that in order to run your bot?

You shouldnt need to, unless the bot doesnt actually run (isnt there an error message telling you what is missing anyway), in which case a quick google of 'how to check .net version' will tell them how to.
Also, if someone is using a old operating system, then it is their fault, as they havent been bothered to update etc.

#4 2017-02-02 19:02:01

LukeM
Website

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:

...If the bot doesn't run then refer to NETCHK for help...
...But wouldn't an application to do it for them be much easier on the user?...

I get your point, but to me, it doesnt seem useful enough to include it with every bot, just because a few people might have problems and not know how to find out whats causing them

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:

...Yes there is, but this error message is vague, and forces upon the user .NET 4.6.2 when 4.6.2 isn't needed some of the time...

Isn't it a good thing to tell them to install the newest update? Then you wont need to install another version if something else actually needs the new version

den31071486078165646303

Board footer