Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-02 04:17:54

SirJosh3917
Formerly ninjasupeatsninja

[Release] NETCHK - A simple solution to handle checking .NET for you!

- DOWNLOAD -

Hello! I have created a small application to include in your projects that automatically check for .NET versions!
It's a batch file that handles Windows OS checking, as well as .NET Framework checking, to handle .NET errors for you!

It comes in two versions:
1) The normal version ( With comments, multiple newlines, spacing, clean code, e.t.c )
2) The compressed version ( No comments, everything compressed by scooping repeats into variables, saving space whenever possible, e.t.c )

Both versions work exactly the same, and the compressed version is more likely for average use due to it saving space to make the download quicker ( not that a few KiB matter //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue )

HNr57at.png
The compressed version, on the left, versus the uncompressed version, on the right

NETCHK is simple and easy to use. Open it with notepad, and then set the desired .NET Framework version, and then close it, and you're done!
Let the user run NETCHK, and NETCHK will tell the user information relating to .NET and their machine:

reS5mVS.png
A picture of NETCHK in some of it's possible states

NETCHK is on Github

- DOWNLOAD -

Wooted by:

#2 2017-02-02 15:53:14

SirJosh3917

Re: [Release] NETCHK - A simple solution to handle checking .NET for you!

Oops, forgot to put the source code on Github.

The source code is now on Github, sorry about that.

#3 2017-02-02 16:03:22

XxAtillaxX

The only thing people need to install is the latest .NET runtime. If they're unable to, then they should upgrade their OS.

signature.png
*u stinky*

#4 2017-02-02 16:07:10, last edited by SirJosh3917 (2017-02-02 16:08:39)

SirJosh3917

XxAtillaxX wrote:

then they should upgrade their OS.

Easier said then done.

XxAtillaxX wrote:

The only thing people need to install is the latest .NET runtime.

Not really... Windows 8 and above stopped supporting .NET 2.0 by default, and not all computers can get .NET 4.6.2, but this could easily be fixed if people upgraded their OS, as you said ( but sadly, easier said then done when upgrading your OS. ).

#5 2017-02-02 16:19:06

XxAtillaxX

You're crying about deprecated software. It isn't the issue of the developer that the user lacks compatibility.

Windows XP is deprecated, no longer supported by its vendor, and no longer supported by developers.
Microsoft DOS is deprecated, no longer supported by its vendor, and no longer supported by developers.

Windows 8 and above do not include .NET 2.0 and below by default because it's a deprecated run-time.
Guess what? None of your .NET software runs on .NET 1.0. Oh, no!

signature.png
*u stinky*

#6 2017-02-02 16:41:36, last edited by SirJosh3917 (2017-02-02 16:42:05)

SirJosh3917

XxAtillaxX wrote:

You're crying about deprecated software.

Huh? I'm simply making a tool for bot developers to include so that their user's can get information if they can run the bot or not, and why.

XxAtillaxX wrote:

It isn't the issue of the developer that the user lacks compatibility.

Yes, but what if the user runs to the developer and says "Bot maker! Your bot doesn't run, and it's all your fault!". NETCHK is there to inform the user if their OS doesn't support the bot, if they have the .NET Framework, and other informing things.

XxAtillaxX wrote:

Windows XP is deprecated, no longer supported by its vendor, and no longer supported by developers.

0408rcp_xp1.ashx
2015-11-0212-18-08.jpg
Windows XP is a reasonably-sized portion, being behind Windows 7's tail, and Windows 8.1 is behind Windows XP's tail!
Even though it's discontinued, it's still in use, kinda like Turbo C++, with some programmers still using it.

XxAtillaxX wrote:

Microsoft DOS is deprecated, no longer supported by its vendor, and no longer supported by developers.

Right,

XxAtillaxX wrote:

Windows 8 and above do not include .NET 2.0 and below by default because it's a deprecated run-time.

Right,

XxAtillaxX wrote:

Guess what? None of your .NET software runs on .NET 1.0. Oh, no!

It's deprecated, and no ( if not, barely any ) applications are made with it.

-

If I'm correct, you're trying to make the argument that I'm supporting deprecated .NET Frameworks and OSes. I'm not trying to in this scenario!

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:

I'm simply making a tool for bot developers to include so that their user's can get information if they can run the bot or not, and why.

#7 2017-02-02 17:05:03

XxAtillaxX

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:
XxAtillaxX wrote:

You're crying about deprecated software.

Huh? I'm simply making a tool for bot developers to include so that their user's can get information if they can run the bot or not, and why.

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:

Easier said then done.

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:

If I'm correct, you're trying to make the argument that I'm supporting deprecated .NET Frameworks and OSes. I'm not trying to in this scenario!

I never said that you were. My reply had nothing to do with you, it was a comment stating that those who would need this are people who don't have the latest .NET run-time, typically those who run deprecated operating systems, therefore they should update.

signature.png
*u stinky*

#8 2017-02-02 17:13:06

SirJosh3917

XxAtillaxX wrote:

those who would need this are people who don't have the latest .NET run-time,

This tool was intended for bot makers to pack with their bot, and set the .NET Framework requirements, and if the user had trouble running the bot, they could always refer to NETCHK about information relating to the problem.

Is this all cleared up now?

#9 2017-02-02 17:14:22

XxAtillaxX

Why do you think developers should take responsibility for users using outdated operating systems?

signature.png
*u stinky*

#10 2017-02-02 17:37:48, last edited by SirJosh3917 (2017-02-02 17:40:54)

SirJosh3917

XxAtillaxX wrote:

Why do you think developers should take responsibility for users using outdated operating systems?

It's their users, treat them well.

Notify them about issues, and the download.zip file would be one of the places the user would go first.

A readme in the download file saying "you have to have blank OS and blank .NET Framework" would possibly make the user confused and not know how to check it, while NETCHK does it for the user, and tells them about the problem.

#11 2017-02-02 17:41:11, last edited by XxAtillaxX (2017-02-02 17:43:53)

XxAtillaxX

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:
XxAtillaxX wrote:

It's their users, treat them well.

Why aren't your bots compatible with Microsoft DOS, then?

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:

you have to have blank OS and blank .NET Framework" would possibly make the user confused and not know how to check it, while NETCHK does it for the user, and tells them about the problem.

No, it wouldn't. The information they need is a google search away, and they'd get no less valuable information from a quick search than visiting your forum topic.

signature.png
*u stinky*

#12 2017-02-02 17:55:50

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Why not just open Control Panel, click "Uninstall a program" and scroll down to see which versions of .NET are installed?

This tip would ofc be in the instruction manual or readme that every botmaker includes in their release.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

#13 2017-02-02 17:56:10, last edited by SirJosh3917 (2017-02-02 17:59:13)

SirJosh3917

XxAtillaxX wrote:

Why aren't your bots compatible with Microsoft DOS, then?

Like you said, MSDOS is deprecated and not supported.
However, if for some reason the user decides to be super smart and run the application in DOS mode,

IKDxQQx.png
The users are informed that the bot cannot run with MSDOS.

Likewise, if the user is running Windows XP, NETCHK will inform the user that they can/cannot run the application.

XxAtillaxX wrote:

No, it wouldn't. The information they need is a google search away, and they'd get no less valuable information from a quick search than visiting your forum topic.

I'm sorry to inform you but not all users are smart users.

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:

I'm simply making a tool for bot developers to include so that their user's can get information if they can run the bot or not, and why.

Yes, it's the user's fault for not having a supported OS.
Yes, it's the user's fault that the .NET Framework x.x.x hasn't been installed on their machine.
Yes, it's the user's fault for all of these things, but it's the developers fault for not telling the user about it.

Tomahawk wrote:

Why not just open Control Panel, click "Uninstall a program" and scroll down to see which versions of .NET are installed?

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:

I'm sorry to inform you but not all users are smart users.

However it's not a bad idea.
But wouldn't it be nicer to have a program that the user can run, and the program tells the user about informations, to ease the work load off of the user?

#14 2017-02-02 17:58:56

XxAtillaxX

Why should they include this when they can simply state that it's using the .NET framework and include the same information from google that the topic you provide them with contains?

signature.png
*u stinky*

#15 2017-02-02 18:01:54, last edited by SirJosh3917 (2017-02-02 18:02:20)

SirJosh3917

XxAtillaxX wrote:

Why should they include this when they can simply state that it's using the .NET framework and include the same information from google that the topic you provide them with contains?

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:

But wouldn't it be nicer to have a program that the user can run, and the program tells the user about informations, to ease the work load off of the user?

NETCHK isn't too hard to add, download it, open it with notepad, set it to the .NET framework version of the application, bundle it with the bot and you're good to go.
( Nevertheless doing what tomahawk said isn't too hard either )

However, with NETCHK, you move the workload off of the user and onto the program, so the user can just run NETCHK and NETCHK tells them about the problem.

#16 2017-02-02 18:02:48, last edited by LukeM (2017-02-02 18:04:11)

LukeM
Website

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:

0408rcp_xp1.ashx
2015-11-0212-18-08.jpg

Just to let you know, those are very outdated statistics, ive quickly found some more recent data (I think the percentages are % of all computers):
Windows-OS-Chart-304x288.png
Windows XP is hardly used by anyone now, so I wouldnt worry about having support for it

In my opinion, you could probably just write next to the download link 'If the bot doesnt run, make sure you have .net X.X+ installed'

#17 2017-02-02 18:08:18, last edited by SirJosh3917 (2017-02-02 18:08:50)

SirJosh3917

destroyer123 wrote:

Just to let you know, those are very outdated statistics, ive quickly found some more recent data (I think the percentages are % of all computers):
http://www.server-link.co.uk/home/wp-co … 04x288.png

Ah, thank you for the statistics update. However, read below:

destroyer123 wrote:

Windows XP is hardly used by anyone now, so I wouldnt worry about having support for it

That's like saying "Armour Games is hardly used by anyone to login to EE, so I wouldnt worry about having support for it".

destroyer123 wrote:

In my opinion, you could probably just write next to the download link 'If the bot doesnt run, make sure you have .net X.X+ installed'

But how does the user check if they have the .NET X.X+ installed? Why do I have to check that in order to run your bot?

#18 2017-02-02 18:10:23, last edited by XxAtillaxX (2017-02-02 18:10:54)

XxAtillaxX

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:

That's like saying "Armour Games is hardly used by anyone to login to EE, so I wouldnt worry about having support for it".

Nobody needs to support ArmorGames any longer, because it's deprecated as well. You can merge accounts.

signature.png
*u stinky*

#19 2017-02-02 18:22:57

SirJosh3917

XxAtillaxX wrote:

Nobody needs to support ArmorGames any longer, because it's deprecated as well.

But what if you're still using ArmorGames? If ArmorGames was my game platform, I'd like to be able to play all my games in one place, and not have to goto ee.com specifically for EE.

XxAtillaxX wrote:

You can merge accounts.

Yes you can, but you don't have to. If ArmorGames was my game platform, I wouldn't merge accounts because I'd like to have all my games in one place.

Why did you say ArmorGames was deprecated? If it was because account merges are possible, then what makes the ability to move from ArmorGames to EverybodyEdits.com an upgrade?

#20 2017-02-02 18:23:09, last edited by LukeM (2017-02-02 18:24:29)

LukeM
Website

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:
destroyer123 wrote:

destroyer123 wrote:

But how does the user check if they have the .NET X.X+ installed? Why do I have to check that in order to run your bot?

You shouldnt need to, unless the bot doesnt actually run (isnt there an error message telling you what is missing anyway), in which case a quick google of 'how to check .net version' will tell them how to.
Also, if someone is using a old operating system, then it is their fault, as they havent been bothered to update etc.

#21 2017-02-02 18:34:03, last edited by SirJosh3917 (2017-02-02 18:34:17)

SirJosh3917

destroyer123 wrote:

You shouldnt need to, unless the bot doesnt actually run

If the bot doesn't run then refer to NETCHK for help.

destroyer123 wrote:

(isnt there an error message telling you what is missing anyway)

Yes there is, but this error message is vague, and forces upon the user .NET 4.6.2 when 4.6.2 isn't needed some of the time.

destroyer123 wrote:

in which case a quick google of 'how to check .net version' will tell them how to.

But wouldn't an application to do it for them be much easier on the user?

destroyer123 wrote:

Also, if someone is using a old operating system, then it is their fault, as they havent been bothered to update etc,

It is their fault, but why not tell them that via the use of NETCHK?

#22 2017-02-02 19:02:01

LukeM
Website

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:

...If the bot doesn't run then refer to NETCHK for help...
...But wouldn't an application to do it for them be much easier on the user?...

I get your point, but to me, it doesnt seem useful enough to include it with every bot, just because a few people might have problems and not know how to find out whats causing them

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:

...Yes there is, but this error message is vague, and forces upon the user .NET 4.6.2 when 4.6.2 isn't needed some of the time...

Isn't it a good thing to tell them to install the newest update? Then you wont need to install another version if something else actually needs the new version

#23 2017-02-02 19:14:23

SirJosh3917

destroyer123 wrote:

I get your point, but to me, it doesnt seem useful enough to include it with every bot, just because a few people might have problems and not know how to find out whats causing them

Opinions are opinions I guess.
I'd think that putting a Readme.txt with information about .NET framework junk is harder then including NETCHK and changing "NETVersion" to whatever .NET Framework your bot is, but ok.

destroyer123 wrote:

Isn't it a good thing to tell them to install the newest update? Then you wont need to install another version if something else actually needs the new version

NETCHK tells the user if .NET X.X.X is compatible with their machine, and sometimes .NET 4.6.2 isn't compatible with the user's machine.

#24 2017-02-02 19:53:57

XxAtillaxX

You failed to explain how your information you present would be any different and of any more help than the same information in a .txt

signature.png
*u stinky*

#25 2017-02-02 20:41:18, last edited by SirJosh3917 (2017-02-02 20:41:25)

SirJosh3917

XxAtillaxX wrote:

You failed to explain how your information you present would be any different and of any more help than the same information in a .txt

With a TXT file, the user has to figure out themselves why or why not the application isn't running. They themselves have to figure out what version of .NET they have, they themselves have to figure out where to download it, and it puts quite a bit of load/work on the user, whilst putting in a txt and saying that is less of a load on the developer. However, with NETCHK, it's less (atmost, equal) amount of work to include, and it lessens the amount of work on the user.

den31071486078165646303

Board footer