Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-01 23:24:13, last edited by drunkbnu (2017-02-01 23:54:40)

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

New ban system

I find it completely useless to ban an user from browsing the forum, because they can always log out (if for some reason they can't, they can clear cookies), browse the forums as guest, and in the worst of cases, create an alternative account (which can of course be compensated with other warnings). A new ban system that allows them to visit the forums, but not to interact with them, would be better.

There can be a user group for those users with 3+ warnings, that allows them to visit the forums, but not to do any interaction with them. They can't make new posts, edit their current ones, or woot other posts. They would neither be able to edit their avatar or signature, or any of their account details, since they can change them to something offensive as a reply to their ban.

However, they can still long out and make an alt to reply to a topic or a post. The IP of the user could be banned from creating new accounts, but this can be avoided by using a proxy or a VPN.

A system that allows new users to interact with the forums after 48 hours (2 days) from registering, would be effective in this case, since moderators can determine if it's an alt, and ban (or simply delete) the account before they post. Most of bans are 1-day or 3-day bans, so by the time the alt account could finally be able to interact, the user's main account would no longer be banned.

The idea is to basically prevent them from doing anything that would affect the forums browsing experience for other visitors, whilst being allowed to visit the forums themselves. They visit it as a read-only forum. This would perfectly fit for a forum like this, since 'banned (clearly not banned)' users would be able read the topics normally, reducing the chance of them creating an alt for browsing.

#2 2017-02-02 02:17:27

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

Re: New ban system

HG wrote:

A system that allows new users to interact with the forums after 48 hours (2 days) from registering, would be effective in this case, since moderators can determine if it's an alt, and ban (or simply delete) the account before they post. Most of bans are 1-day or 3-day bans, so by the time the alt account could finally be able to interact, the user's main account would no longer be banned.

aka chase away any incoming people

Discord: jawp#5123

#3 2017-02-02 02:35:23

Pingohits
Banned

We should adopt a particular website's shadowban concept

For high-risk users (which I know sounds pretty cliche), mods can "shadowban" them, which means it appears they aren't banned, as they can post and woot and change settings, but none of this actually appears to other people

It creates an illusion that they're able to post and such, but it is invisible for everyone else

791mAP8.png

#4 2017-02-02 03:30:43

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Pingohits wrote:

For high-risk users (which I know sounds pretty cliche), mods can "shadowban" them, which means it appears they aren't banned, as they can post and woot and change settings, but none of this actually appears to other people

It creates an illusion that they're able to post and such, but it is invisible for everyone else

I'm not sure that that's a good idea. If somebody's breaking the rules, I think a strict ban will make it clear that what they're doing is unwanted. People won't take any steps to further improve their actions unless they know what they're doing is wrong and disciplined for it.

#5 2017-02-02 03:53:57

Different55
Forum Admin

Pingohits wrote:

Sounds like a massive pain to add. I tried it on fail once, didn't work out too well.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#6 2017-02-02 04:01:49

Pingohits
Banned

Different55 wrote:
Pingohits wrote:

Sounds like a massive pain to add. I tried it on fail once, didn't work out too well.

yeah, and I just realized it was only good for large communities

791mAP8.png

#7 2017-02-02 04:08:41

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

HG wrote:

A system that allows new users to interact with the forums after 48 hours (2 days) from registering, would be effective in this case, since moderators can determine if it's an alt, and ban (or simply delete) the account before they post.

That may scare away new people who ain't got no time for that. Even then, would a two-day wait be needed? I would assume the moderators are online are online at least once a day. If not that's a problem in itself.

#8 2017-02-02 06:35:39

AlphaJon

Let's be honest, there's not much that can be done to prevent alt-making. Any new IP in a new browsing session is undistinguishable from a legitimate newcomer. Larger communities encounter the same problem.
Anything put in place to try to hinder alt-creation would also hinder those who legitimately want to subscribe to the forums.

Wooted by: (3)

#9 2017-02-02 19:00:03

skullz17

I don't think it's a massive problem anyway, especially with such a small community.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

skullz171486058403646249

Board footer