Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#101 2015-08-10 19:36:19

BEE

Re: [Going Home] Announcement & General Discussion

nlmdejonge wrote:
BEE wrote:

could I instead have the option to make the trip more difficult?

Please describe to me a hypothetical situation where, when the player is presented with the choice that will impact the level difficulty, the default has to be the easy variant.

I simply like to have my levels easy. So if I can't have the option to make it harder, the only way I could think of to make "easy" easier would be to include a "spectate" mode.

Custom Tab: Forum Post|Trello

Thanks Xen for my Avatar and Smitty for the smiley 47BA5lq.png

#102 2015-08-10 20:07:19, last edited by nlmdejonge (2015-08-10 20:09:38)

nlmdejonge

BEE wrote:
nlmdejonge wrote:
BEE wrote:

Please describe to me a hypothetical situation where, when the player is presented with the choice that will impact the level difficulty, the default has to be the easy variant.

I simply like to have my levels easy.

That's not a description of a hypothetical scenario though. If your 'baseline' - the regular difficulty of your minis - is so easy that making it easier is either impossible (would be spectating) or unwise, and only making it harder is an option, then you can just make the harder variant the baseline (the default) and present the player with an option to make things easier. The bottom line is: if you have two (or more) difficulties - and you need to for this contest, simply make the hardest of the two the default. This doesn't mean the harder variant has to be difficult, it just needs to be harder than the easy path. This is one of the challenges/obstacles you'll have to overcome in order to meet the level requirements.

I have permanently left the game and forum.
EE is an entertaining game and I enjoyed playing it...
...but it's time for me to move on.

#103 2015-08-10 21:55:31

KillThePope

If you are using your Beta Saved World (not Beta Only) you cannot change the world name as it appears in your profile. Will this be a problem as judges may not know which world to enter?

#104 2015-08-10 22:03:35

skullz17

KillThePope wrote:

If you are using your Beta Saved World (not Beta Only) you cannot change the world name as it appears in your profile. Will this be a problem as judges may not know which world to enter?

Can't you just give a link? The title shows when you are in the world, and I'm pretty sure they won't be joining through your profile.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

Wooted by: (2)

#105 2015-08-10 22:17:00

Anch

nlmdejonge wrote:
BEE wrote:
nlmdejonge wrote:
BEE wrote:

I simply like to have my levels easy.

That's not a description of a hypothetical scenario though. If your 'baseline' - the regular difficulty of your minis - is so easy that making it easier is either impossible (would be spectating) or unwise, and only making it harder is an option, then you can just make the harder variant the baseline (the default) and present the player with an option to make things easier. The bottom line is: if you have two (or more) difficulties - and you need to for this contest, simply make the hardest of the two the default. This doesn't mean the harder variant has to be difficult, it just needs to be harder than the easy path. This is one of the challenges/obstacles you'll have to overcome in order to meet the level requirements.

I think he means instead of adding an option to make the level easier (for example, and protection effect), he wanted an option to make it harder (for example, disallowing checkpoints).

#106 2015-08-10 22:33:09, last edited by BEE (2015-08-10 22:33:46)

BEE

anch159 wrote:

<snip>
I think he means instead of adding an option to make the level easier (for example, and protection effect), he wanted an option to make it harder (for example, disallowing checkpoints).

Yes, that is what I wanted, but nlm was clear that that is not allowed.

Don't worry, I'll figure it out. I can always add a few random fires and give the person protection as an option. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

#107 2015-08-10 22:57:38

Krosis
Formerly Arkonagames
Website

BEE wrote:
anch159 wrote:

<snip>

Yes, that is what I wanted, but nlm was clear that that is not allowed.

Don't worry, I'll figure it out. I can always add a few random fires and give the person protection as an option. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

You can make the ''hard mode'' as the default and the ''easy mode'' as the normal that you wanted before

Krosis.gif

#108 2015-08-10 23:04:10

BEE

Yes, that is what nlm suggested. And it would be viable, I will just have to work backwards in my mind. If I end up using switches I might just have the player spawn on the switch, and the option to turn it off would activate easy mode. Thanks for the suggestions though. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

#109 2015-08-10 23:40:45

qweureo345

how do i submit the world i created //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/neutral:|:|

#110 2015-08-10 23:45:25

qweureo345

how do i submit the world i created //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/neutral:|:|

#111 2015-08-10 23:51:57

Krosis
Formerly Arkonagames
Website

qweureo345 wrote:

You need to wait until the date (22 os august i think)

Krosis.gif

#112 2015-08-10 23:54:26, last edited by nlmdejonge (2015-08-21 22:15:47)

nlmdejonge

skullz17 wrote:
KillThePope wrote:

Can't you just give a link? The title shows when you are in the world, and I'm pretty sure they won't be joining through your profile.

Yes, in-game, in the lower left, next to the "GOTO LOBBY" button, is a button you can use to open a pop-up with a direct link to your level.
When the submission period starts, on 22 August, a forum thread will be created where contestants can submit their levels.

MIelsfo.png
(image mirror)

qweureo345 wrote:

See the answer above. Submitting levels will be possible as from August 22nd.
Also, make sure you sign up before August 15th if you want to join this contest.

#113 2015-08-11 12:32:02, last edited by Ben (2015-08-11 12:33:46)

Ben

@nlmdejonge I think you're evading from giving us a direct answer to what this contest is really about. Sure, you gave us the rules and requirements, but your ambiguous descriptions prevent me from understanding the actual goal. What will be the main judging factor? Art? Gameplay? Mechanism? I might focus on one of the aforementioned factors, while in actual fact your meaning was different.

Not only that, the restrictions are VERY frustrating. One can automatically be disqualified simply because of placing a forbidden item.

#114 2015-08-11 13:36:25, last edited by Stagecrew (2015-08-11 13:43:26)

Stagecrew

Tomkazaz wrote:

@nlmdejonge I think you're evading from giving us a direct answer to what this contest is really about. Sure, you gave us the rules and requirements, but your ambiguous descriptions prevent me from understanding the actual goal. What will be the main judging factor? Art? Gameplay? Mechanism? I might focus on one of the aforementioned factors, while in actual fact your meaning was different.

Not only that, the restrictions are VERY frustrating. One can automatically be disqualified simply because of placing a forbidden item.

The goal is the same as any of the other level building contests: make the most enjoyable level possible with the given restrictions. If you're wondering what a winning level would be like, it would most likely be a level that stands out in all the categories you mentioned. We're not judging just one aspect of the level.

Also about the forbidden items, if it was obviously unintentional (for example, an arrow randomly placed outside the gameplay area) I would probably ignore it. I think it's only fair to count it as a disqualification if it would actually make a difference whether it was there or not. Keep in mind, you should still make sure these things are NOT in your level but it's not the end of the world if there's one forbidden item.

Wooted by:

#115 2015-08-11 13:53:24

Codfoshie

It may be a bit late for me to join, but I have a way to get around non arrow/boost rule... Use water/swamp.

300x300 world
Small dark house to begin with
Exit house
3-4 hour swamp maze
Win house
GG you wasted 3 hours of your life.
#original idea.

Wooted by:

#116 2015-08-11 14:13:13

Ben

Stagecrew wrote:

The goal is the same as any of the other level building contests: make the most enjoyable level possible with the given restrictions.

That's exactly the problem, can you really build an enjoyable level with all those restrictions? I understand part of the challenge is to build a world without using specific items, but sometimes you need them for more sophisticated, "inner" or "hidden", mechanisms, not necessarily for the actual gameplay.

#117 2015-08-11 20:11:31

Kikikan

I have no chance but ill signed up. Anyone did the same?

#118 2015-08-11 20:14:11

nlmdejonge

Codfoshie wrote:

It may be a bit late for me to join, [...]

Just in case you really do want to join, which is still possible, make sure to sign up in this thread

Tomkazaz wrote:

can you really build an enjoyable level with all those restrictions?

I concur with what Stagecrew wrote in reply to your post.
Maybe you can seek comfort in knowing that the other teams have to deal with the same obstacles.
You can do it, don't give up. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

#119 2015-08-11 21:46:53

BEE

nlmdejonge wrote:

Tomkazaz wrote:
can you really build an enjoyable level with all those restrictions?
I concur with what Stagecrew wrote in reply to your post.
Maybe you can seek comfort in knowing that the other teams have to deal with the same obstacles.
You can do it, don't give up.

That would actually be a fascinating contest idea: to have people pick a random restriction from a hat and have different restrictions for different levels. While I'm not sure if I could consider it a fair competition, it would certainly be fun to watch from the sidelines =P

#120 2015-08-11 21:49:54

Krosis
Formerly Arkonagames
Website

Does some kind of park or a graveyard counts as building?

Krosis.gif

#121 2015-08-11 22:10:45

nlmdejonge

Arkonagames wrote:

A building is a structure.
Graveyards and parks are not structures, they are spatially defined areas, tracts of land, places.
You could have, for example, a building on a graveyard though (examples).
If you don't fully understand what buildings are, maybe look through this list on Wikipedia.

#122 2015-08-11 22:13:45

Krosis
Formerly Arkonagames
Website

nlmdejonge wrote:
Arkonagames wrote:

A building is a structure.
Graveyards and parks are not structures, they are spatially defined areas, tracts of land, places.
You could have, for example, a building on a graveyard though (examples).
If you don't fully understand what buildings are, maybe look through this list on Wikipedia.

thanks, i was thinking on to something like that, but... can i place signs near the building at the outside? or no

Krosis.gif

#123 2015-08-11 22:17:07

nlmdejonge

Arkonagames wrote:

can i place signs near the building at the outside? or no

Please (re)read the first post of this thread.

nlmdejonge wrote:

- The level may NOT contain signs OUTSIDE the start building and end house. (Signs inside the building and house are allowed.)

Not outside. Only in the building where the player starts, and in the house/home at the end of the level.

Wooted by:

#124 2015-08-12 00:08:00

Marcelomgl
Website

the world must be based on the name we put the team? //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

#125 2015-08-12 00:22:28

nlmdejonge

Marcelomgl wrote:

the world must be based on the name we put the team? //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

No. The name of your level and the contents of your level do not need to be related.
It is your choice, it may be related or unrelated.

AmdS1441833709540436

Board footer