Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-28 09:53:51, last edited by Kira (2015-05-28 09:54:51)

Kira

The current state of EE?

Honestly, I think the game is losing popularity, even with shift coming back, all those oldschoolers making new maps.. We can't compare this to 2011 when 2000 players were always active.

Although there's new admins that makes a lot of updates, I think it's a bad idea (You'll probably think I'm crazy). But let me explain why. As far as i'm concerned, the updates are a bit "rushed", like the potions system that gets deleted, replaced by blocks, the "new" smileys etc..

When admins make updates they are most of the time useless, the blocks / smileys are most of the time bad and quickly done. What's the point on having more than 100 smileys when 75% of them aren't used?

6 months ago, it was sci-fi contest, and surprisingly people came back from nowhere, more than 400 players were online..
I think that contests are a good idea, they bring challenge, fun + new quality levels are coming out..

/!\ This is my personal though of the current EE, everyone has their own opinion right?

Wooted by:

#2 2015-05-28 11:03:41

AsurcH

Re: The current state of EE?

Bringing a game back from dead is far harder than starting anew. Sure our admins are working hard but I don't think we will see the fruit of their labour in a few months at least.

I don't really think there are a lot of updates, their timing is well and their content is huge, or game-changing in someway. This, I believe, is the right direction they should take. I completely agree with you that it is pointless to have more than 800 smileys, same goes for blocks too I guess. Well whatever though, concept of variety has been debated over centuries now.

The issue of why we can't get more players lies within the very concept of this game and how we mold it in my opinion. By far many people have overachieved and many new players are underachieved to continue their progress. Yes, we are provided with great updates maybe, but there is nearly nothing to improve new player experience and a community molded around them to satisfy the veterans.

Contests were a nice way to attract old players to do something, but it is just a mere temporary action to save the day, what lies beneath is controversial, however, must be looked at, at some point. Also contests might be somewhat problematic(LOOKING AT YOU HALLOWEEN) to manage and by far all we ever do for them making a contest is to yell back at them saying it is unfair or something. What we are looking for is probably events, events that everyone can achieve something, without distributing the reward to an engulfed minority, making it not only available but also accessible to a wider spectrum of community.

I hope Summergirl was onto something, if they were planning something like campaigns or stuff like that, even if it was accessible for a predetermined period of time, it would give everyone an equal chance to claim the rewards for themselves without leaving a raging majority empty-handed. It doesn't even have to be campaign stuff, it can be anything, as long as it follows this rule.

Also ban bots kthx.

Wooted by: (2)

#3 2015-05-28 11:31:37

khwamwiklcrit

AsurcH wrote:

Bringing a game back from dead is far harder than starting anew. Sure our admins are working hard but I don't think we will see the fruit of their labour in a few months at least.

I don't really think there are a lot of updates, their timing is well and their content is huge, or game-changing in someway. This, I believe, is the right direction they should take. I completely agree with you that it is pointless to have more than 800 smileys, same goes for blocks too I guess. Well whatever though, concept of variety has been debated over centuries now.

The issue of why we can't get more players lies within the very concept of this game and how we mold it in my opinion. By far many people have overachieved and many new players are underachieved to continue their progress. Yes, we are provided with great updates maybe, but there is nearly nothing to improve new player experience and a community molded around them to satisfy the veterans.

Contests were a nice way to attract old players to do something, but it is just a mere temporary action to save the day, what lies beneath is controversial, however, must be looked at, at some point. Also contests might be somewhat problematic(LOOKING AT YOU HALLOWEEN) to manage and by far all we ever do for them making a contest is to yell back at them saying it is unfair or something. What we are looking for is probably events, events that everyone can achieve something, without distributing the reward to an engulfed minority, making it not only available but also accessible to a wider spectrum of community.

I hope Summergirl was onto something, if they were planning something like campaigns or stuff like that, even if it was accessible for a predetermined period of time, it would give everyone an equal chance to claim the rewards for themselves without leaving a raging majority empty-handed. It doesn't even have to be campaign stuff, it can be anything, as long as it follows this rule.

Also ban bots kthx.

Do you think the bots could be banned? That's not true! There are new moderators of this game who support bots. There are bot-assisted levels which are precious to us and we need to preserve our game's programming culture. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Wooted by:

#4 2015-05-28 11:41:29, last edited by AsurcH (2015-05-28 11:43:55)

AsurcH

I would actually want to make a huge thread about why I think they should be banned but I'm too lazy for that. On the other hand, yes, there are reasons why we shouldn't too. I just believe banning them would be more beneficial to the game itself.

Wooted by:

#5 2015-05-28 11:49:18

khwamwiklcrit

AsurcH wrote:

I would actually want to make a huge thread about why I think they should be banned but I'm too lazy for that. On the other hand, yes, there are reasons why we shouldn't too. I just believe banning them would be more beneficial to the game itself.

Banning the bots would NOT be beneficial! In a game without bots, EE would not be so technologically advanced compared to it with bots. Bots make the game increase its technology levels. Therefore, in my opinion, I consider a game without bots be at the lowest level whereas a game with bots is at the highest level.

#6 2015-05-28 12:06:16

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

Potion blocks were planned when we were guardians.

toop makes graphics a couple weeks before we release them.

the new smileys... yeah. those were rushed and very little opinion was taken on them.

A contest is on it's way.

Updates always have a use.  Regardless of what their functionality is.  People will always find a use.

Though something does seem weird to me.  Since we took over, the online users went up to 400, and jumped to 600 at one point.  Not it's back down to 200, but on weekends it's 600.

Discord: jawp#5123

#7 2015-05-28 12:08:22, last edited by 1448 (2015-05-28 12:20:38)

Formerly alkazam1448
Website

AsurcH wrote:

Nooooo! I play this game because of bots!!! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad

If a more experienced programmer was to know this would happen, he would have hacked you or something.

You gotta understand one thing. Programming is not what you think it is. It is not boring. Once you get into it, you can't get out. Do not post that big thread you were mentioning earlier, or if you do, if it does any small thing that can hinder the development of bots, I swear I'm gonna do something to you https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/3/3b/039_vampire

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@JaWapa You do not call that "rush". It is better to be called "stupidity". Why do all EE smileys have to look like a fat watermelon? Why? Whyyyyy?????

We want the following smileys to replace their new versions:

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/81/099_summergirl

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/a/ae/080_madscientist

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/3/3e/071_alien

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/4/4c/091_spartan

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/b/be/081_headhunter

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/1/1c/167_laika

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/4/40/079_skeleton

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/0/00/093_cow

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/6/6e/086_firedemon

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/3/37/085_winter

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/9/99/090_unit

We also want toop to do 32x32 and ask player's opinions before releasing his new crappy graphics.

#8 2015-05-28 12:33:45

nlmdejonge

I don't think comparisons with the 2010/2011 situation are very useful.
Even in its most basic form, EE is a pretty unique game. When it first arrived, people recognized this, but - as with most things - novelty wears off.
So, yes, there were thousands of players, but it was natural for that number to decline.
EE is not dead and neither is it dying, it's just that novelty wears off.
And it's most likely impossible for updates to bring something so unique that the update beats the difference between 'EE not existing' and 'EE existing'.
Daily peaks of 200-300 simultaneous players is fine, and 400-500 in the days after big updates (and contests/events).
If you look past the initial spike of interest in 2010/2011, EE's popularity has been relatively stable.
Hoping for, or even expecting, 1000-1500 concurrent players is very unrealistic.
There are several games in Steam's top 100 games by player count that don't even reach 1500 players.
Dark Souls II is currently at 1037 players, EE at 189 players. Those numbers will most likely increase during the European evening, at US midday.
The current state of EE is fine. The last two months we've had great updates. The future looks bright.

I have permanently left the game and forum.
EE is an entertaining game and I enjoyed playing it...
...but it's time for me to move on.

Wooted by: (6)

#9 2015-05-28 12:36:06

Formerly alkazam1448
Website

nlmdejonge wrote:

I don't think comparisons with the 2010/2011 situation are very useful.
Even in its most basic form, EE is a pretty unique game. When it first arrived, people recognized this, but - as with most things - novelty wears off.
So, yes, there were thousands of players, but it was natural for that number to decline.
EE is not dead and neither is it dying, it's just that novelty wears off.
And it's most likely impossible for updates to bring something so unique that the update beats the difference between 'EE not existing' and 'EE existing'.
Daily peaks of 200-300 simultaneous players is fine, and 400-500 in the days after big updates (and contests/events).
If you look past the initial spike of interest in 2010/2011, EE's popularity has been relatively stable.
Hoping for, or even expecting, 1000-1500 concurrent players is very unrealistic.
There are several games in Steam's top 100 games by player count that don't even reach 1500 players.
Dark Souls II is currently at 1037 players, EE at 189 players. Those numbers will most likely increase during the European evening, at US midday.
The current state of EE is fine. The last two months we've had great updates. The future looks bright.

Too optimistic. Discarded.

Next.

#10 2015-05-28 12:44:43

rgl32

Being someone who only started actively playing after the majority of people called it 'dead', you can't say it hasn't come a long way since then. While talking about regaining popularity, the only major thing the moderators haven't done yet is advertise which would most likely spark at least more interest in people. And what the community has to do is be nice to new people and teach them things, I mean I know not everyone is mean to new player, and it is a minority, but it is still a problem and newer people are more bound to stay if they feel involved and not called out harshly because they don't know things.

And @alkazam1448, do you know what opinions are? You don't have to agree with what people say, but if you don't have any evidence as to why it is wrong (which doesn't happen often because they are opinions), just accept and respect their opinion, and I happen to like the majority of the revamped smileys, some of them are a little off, but some of them look a lot better than they were before.

Wooted by:

#11 2015-05-28 12:49:51

Formerly alkazam1448
Website

I didn't say all of them sucked. Only the new ones of the smileys I pointed out.

#12 2015-05-28 13:30:52

Insanity

Advertise, advertise, advertise

Maverick: Started up on a 6, when he pulled from the clouds, and then I moved in above him.
Charlie: Well, if you were directly above him, how could you see him?
Maverick: Because I was inverted.

#13 2015-05-28 13:48:28, last edited by Kira (2015-05-28 13:48:47)

Kira

alkazam1448 wrote:

We also want toop to do 32x32 and ask player's opinions before releasing his new crappy graphics.

Too optimistic. Discarded.
Next.

This was the kind of behavior I was expecting of you. I even added a sentence where I wrote " Everyone has their own opinions right?"

You ignored that and keep going on with your nasty attitude. Toop makes awesome graphics and everyone can agree with this.

When you reply to NLMDEJONGE saying that he's too optimistic, I think he's right in some ways, but your reply was too much. You're not the center of the world. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/neutral

#14 2015-05-28 13:56:27

Anak

alkazam1448 wrote:

You don't speak for the whole of the community. Don't force your opinions as the words of everyone else.
There was a reason the smileys were revamped, and I don't think they'll get devamped any time soon.

Wooted by:

#15 2015-05-28 14:08:57

khwamwiklcrit

Anak wrote:
alkazam1448 wrote:

You don't speak for the whole of the community. Don't force your opinions as the words of everyone else.
There was a reason the smileys were revamped, and I don't think they'll get devamped any time soon.

Yes. All smileys shouldn't be devamped! If they were to be that, we would hate EE! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad

#16 2015-05-28 15:14:25, last edited by ewoke (2015-05-28 15:48:50)

ewoke

alkazam1448 wrote:

Nooooo! I play this game because of bots!!! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad

If a more experienced programmer was to know this would happen, he would have hacked you or something.

You gotta understand one thing. Programming is not what you think it is. It is not boring. Once you get into it, you can't get out. Do not post that big thread you were mentioning earlier, or if you do, if it does any small thing that can hinder the development of bots, I swear I'm gonna do something to you https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/3/3b/039_vampire

first "If a more experienced programmer was to know this would happen, he would have hacked you or something." not everyone here is biased as f*ck( dont  want to offend bimps here ).

second " I swear I'm gonna do something to you." like what? bad posting about some ugly nonfunctial string to int converter? pinging him with command promt?

if you can read this....good for you

Wooted by:

#17 2015-05-28 15:42:35

Muftwin

When admins make updates they are most of the time useless, the blocks / smileys are most of the time bad and quickly done. What's the point on having more than 100 smileys when 75% of them aren't used?

This is literally the exact opposite of what the new mods do this is what the old mods do.

the updates are a bit "rushed", like the potions system that gets deleted, replaced by blocks

rushed? wth is rushed about them this is absolutely a top notch update we've needed forever that has no problems whatsoever

hNtlhM5.png
ZOEY DOESNT ACCEPT ANYTHING

Wooted by:

#18 2015-05-28 16:22:49, last edited by Calicara (2015-05-28 16:23:24)

Calicara

I think most of the underlying problem lies within a lack of a community.

The thing that made EE great for me as a newbie wasn't all the stuff, it was having friends and being part of a crew. Crews were an integral part of promoting community values as well as good level making. First of all, you would have multiple users contributing in many ways to a single level, thus making a more quality level. Second, you would learn to build bonds and communicate with others in a friendly way. Even bad crew levels were still fun in the sense of building and being with friends.

Organized crews now are rare, and new crew maps ever rarer. The focus on EE now is solo maps, which is fine, except there is less communication between players. It's ok for pros to be pro, but I think there comes a point when if we truly want to improve upon the community we need to give back and help the newbies become the pros we are today. Otherwise we're going to have a few really good maps, and then a bunch of really crappy ones. Then after a while the pro players will get bored and leave, and thus the pro community dies out and is replaced by a noob one. The logic is simple.

Also, moderators should make the game more user friendly for new players. Even if the game isn't inherently about 'stuff', starting the game with so many missing packs can still seem very overwhelming. Though I've been told the moderators are working on this, so time will tell.

I think if we really want to bring back the community, we need to build a community we can be proud of. Help the noobs and being back the revival of crews. However, understandably most of us older players are adults or are going to be adults, and hence there is less time to spend on EE, it's not fair to blame any one person in particular. However, I wouldn't blame the mods insofar as their updates. I really don't have any formal complaints about the recent changes that are worth mentioning.

tgA1y17.jpg
I am obsessed with Steven Universe

Wooted by: (4)

#19 2015-05-28 16:53:30

Abelysk

Many people here think EE is the cause of the lowered population. To be honest, it's all in the golden billboard: advertisements. I remember when EE scored the top in Multiplayer and Platforming sections of Flash game sites for being new. After time passed by, EE began to sink down the categories, being shrouded from the eyes of gamers.

EE itself is fine. We just need to reach out.

#20 2015-05-28 17:26:01, last edited by Calicara (2015-05-28 17:26:41)

Calicara

Itsmeandersonlol wrote:

Many people here think EE is the cause of the lowered population. To be honest, it's all in the golden billboard: advertisements. I remember when EE scored the top in Multiplayer and Platforming sections of Flash game sites for being new. After time passed by, EE began to sink down the categories, being shrouded from the eyes of gamers.

Advertisements will only get you so far though. It doesn't matter how many people sign up if they all stop playing within a week. There should be a way to integrate them into the community that makes them want to come back, as well as an incentive to share the game with other people they know. I know it was suggested before to do gems for referrals, but was quickly shot down because it would be easy to abuse by making multiple accounts.

If the moderators focused on making new players feel welcome, and the older players were more accepting of the newer players then I think the population of EE, as well as the overall quality of the game, would improve.

tgA1y17.jpg

#21 2015-05-28 17:29:08

Abelysk

Calicara wrote:
Itsmeandersonlol wrote:

Advertisements will only get you so far though. It doesn't matter how many people sign up if they all stop playing within a week. There should be a way to integrate them into the community that makes them want to come back, as well as an incentive to share the game with other people they know. I know it was suggested before to do gems for referrals, but was quickly shot down because it would be easy to abuse by making multiple accounts.

If the moderators focused on making new players feel welcome, and the older players were more accepting of the newer players then I think the population of EE, as well as the overall quality of the game, would improve.

You can't surely agree that EE is worse now than it was 4 years ago?

#22 2015-05-28 18:18:01

Zumza

I started on forums in 2011. I have no idea when this game was created on. Since I entered ee forums this type of topic "we must bring people back" was present.
Seriously, does somebody really missing? I don't believe that this game had more players, maybe just more guests. People who opened 20 tabs only to make them world appear in the front of the lobby.
EE after all is a closed community... You can't say its like Minecraft. BTW how many of you played Minecraft at least once?

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

#23 2015-05-28 18:36:08, last edited by Calicara (2015-05-28 18:38:53)

Calicara

@Anderson: EE isn't worse than it was 4 years ago, it's just become a lot more complex. What used to be a simple sand-box game has turned into an entirely unique game design experience. For me and many other forumers it's easy to understand because we have been members of the community for many years, but consider EE now from a newcomers perspective:

There would be four years worth of content to buy, with a measly 200 energy limit. There are tons of players, but many can be close minded, or mean (trolls). There are many players who are better than you, people we call 'pros', and even when a newbie tries to make something potentially good, they are shot down by a forums community who expects levels no less then the quality of EX crew.

We need to give newbs a chance. They are our future. When us older players die out, the newbies will replace us. That's all I'm saying. And IMO the best way to promote good level making and quality values is crews.

tgA1y17.jpg

Wooted by:

#24 2015-05-28 18:51:13

realmaster42
Formerly marcoantonimsantos
Website

khwamwiklcrit wrote:
AsurcH wrote:

Also ban bots kthx.

Do you think the bots could be banned? That's not true! There are new moderators of this game who support bots. There are bot-assisted levels which are precious to us and we need to preserve our game's programming culture. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

my world Building Contest only lives cuz i made the bot for it , same for flood escape

http://i.imgur.com/bjvgH5L.png?1

#25 2015-05-28 20:27:00

Anch

alkazam1448 wrote:
AsurcH wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@JaWapa You do not call that "rush". It is better to be called "stupidity". Why do all EE smileys have to look like a fat watermelon? Why? Whyyyyy?????

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/81/099_summergirl

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/a/ae/080_madscientist

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/3/3e/071_alien

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/4/4c/091_spartan

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/b/be/081_headhunter

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/1/1c/167_laika

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/4/40/079_skeleton

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/0/00/093_cow

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/6/6e/086_firedemon

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/3/37/085_winter

Don't say 'we'.
And if you consider his graphics 'crappy' then DON'T BUY THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wooted by: (4)
khwamwiklcrit1433068059508701

Board footer