Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-22 15:27:38, last edited by skullz17 (2015-09-06 10:33:43)

skullz17

Completely functional singleplayer RPG - Released!

This level is released, check it out: http://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewtopic.php?id=30265

I am working on an RPG type thing. It does not require edit, other people, or assistance of any kind. It will be completely functional in singleplayer. The objective is to defeat the champion of the arena. There are 7 enemies other than the champion to help you train and you can battle enemies more than once. You earn exp from battles. By gaining exp, you can unlock new weapons. There are 8 weapons, each one a higher level than the last. The higher level your weapon is, the harder you hit. Also, there are two types of weapons: physical and magical. Enemies will have a weakness which will either be physical or magical. If your weapon's type is the enemy's weakness you will do 1 extra damage (this may be changed).

You might be wondering how it works. It uses switches, doors and gates of different IDs. I realised that a switch can  be on or off. Just like a computer has switches that are on or off. On or off = 1 or 0. So when I heard about switches with different IDs, I knew I could make binary values using multiple switch IDs. Because having multiple switch IDs is like multiple binary digits. Now, the way I'm using this in my RPG is by assigning a number of switch IDs to each variable. Player health has 3 switch IDs (8 different values), enemy health has 4 switch IDs (16 different values), weapon has 3 switch IDs (8 values). I also created a way to subtract or add 1 to a value (for health), or set it to a specific value (for weapon selection). I posted a pic of binary addition/subtraction somewhere. (edit: http://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewto … 1959#p1959)

So yeah. Should be done in about 2 weeks (that's when my BC runs out).

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#2 2015-02-22 17:05:50

Creature

Re: Completely functional singleplayer RPG - Released!

A Heroic Quest like world? Yes, I want it. Good luck copying the system.

This is a false statement.

#3 2015-02-22 17:18:45

skullz17

It's not a copy. Don't make assumptions. The system is quite different.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#4 2015-02-22 18:44:55

ILoveBaconYUM

I came here expecting something like heroic quest. However, unlike creature, I actually read the post //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Sounds fun, Skulls! Can't wait until it's released //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile I hope it goes well.

#5 2015-02-22 18:49:24

skullz17

Thanks.

I don't think it's going to be very long or very detailed or anything, so don't expect something like that. It's more of an experiment to test an idea.

I found the post about binary addition/subtraction: http://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewto … 1959#p1959

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#6 2015-02-22 19:07:41

Creature

I wasn't saying this is a copy of Heroic Quest world, and I've read the whole topic, I even know what RPG means, you want to make a Adventure World, not a RPG World.

#7 2015-02-22 22:26:30

skullz17

I don't know the exact definition of an RPG, so you may be correct. But, it has features of RPG games, like earning experience, battling enemies, and having a selection of different weapons, which is why I thought it was an RPG.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#8 2015-02-22 22:44:35

Creature

RPG means RolePlay Game, a real RPG is a game where you'll create your story, along with other players, not a game where you battle monsters or players randomly and level up. You're making a Adventure World, you created the story yourself, but other players will have to follow it, then it can't be a RPG. If you want to create a real RPG, you'll have to do it manually and let players create their stories too.

#9 2015-02-22 23:22:46

Different55
Forum Admin

Creature wrote:

You're making a Adventure World, you created the story yourself, but other players will have to follow it, then it can't be a RPG.

This is actually what most RPGs are. Look at the Final Fantasy series. All RPGs, but you never create your own story, you're always following one written by the person who created the game.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

Wooted by: (2)

#10 2015-02-22 23:25:23

Creature

Different55 wrote:
Creature wrote:

You're making a Adventure World, you created the story yourself, but other players will have to follow it, then it can't be a RPG.

This is actually what most RPGs are. Look at the Final Fantasy series. All RPGs, but you never create your own story, you're always following one written by the person who created the game.

This is what I call of a Fake RPG, or FRPG.

#11 2015-02-23 01:19:43

Different55
Forum Admin

Creature wrote:
Different55 wrote:
Creature wrote:

This is what I call of a Fake RPG, or FRPG.

So every RPG is a fake RPG for you? They're role playing games, not choose your own adventure games. >_>

- ShinsukeIto

Wooted by:

#12 2015-02-23 01:39:40

Bobithan

Back on the topic of the world, I think this is a really interesting concept. I'm really excited to see how you handle everything with switches //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Also, I wonder if Everybody Edits is Turing complete now that it has these switches. They really do open up a lot of possibilities.

aka towwl

#13 2015-02-23 03:28:23

Different55
Forum Admin

Bobithan wrote:

Back on the topic of the world, I think this is a really interesting concept. I'm really excited to see how you handle everything with switches //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Also, I wonder if Everybody Edits is Turing complete now that it has these switches. They really do open up a lot of possibilities.

How do switches work, anyway?

And @skullz, how would you do fights and stuff?

- ShinsukeIto

#14 2015-02-23 18:57:48

skullz17

It uses turn based combat. Lets say for example there is a level 1 enemy whose weakness is magic. The player always attacks first, so it gives you two options. You can either attack, or you can use another move which I haven't decided on. It might be a heal or a shield or something.

When you attack, there will be a hit or miss type of thing. At first, I planned it to be randomised, but now I have another idea. The player will hit boosts going up and down next a wall which has arrows on it. The player has to jump off the wall at the right time to hit a target which represents the enemy. I think I will also add critical hits depending on where you hit your enemy (a hit to the head or the chest would be a critical hit).

Once you hit your enemy, if you missed, then it will tell you that you missed and move onto your enemy's move. If you hit your enemy, first it will check what level your weapon is. You will deal a certain amount of damage depending on how high your weapon's level is. This is a normal hit. All it does is subtract some of the enemy health variable. Since in this example it is a level 1 enemy, the weapons do the same amount of damage as their level (without a critical hit). Then, it will check if your weapon type is the enemy's weakness. In this example the enemy's weakness is magic, so if you use a magical weapon you do extra damage. This is a weakpoint hit. Again, it subtracts the enemy health variable. But, weakpoint damage is the same for every enemy.

After all that, your attack is over. Straight after, the player will be put into a room with arrows sending them into a sword. Of course, the player has to dodge the sword. If the player manages to dodge the sword, then the enemy misses and does no damage. If the player doesn't dodge the sword they get hit for a certain amount of damage depending on the difference in level between the player's weapon and the enemy. If the player's weapon's level is the same as the enemy's level, then the enemy does 1 damage if they don't do a critical hit. There are no 0 dmg attacks, the enemy will still do 1 dmg if the player's weapon is a higher level than the enemy. However, the player will deal more damage to the enemy so the battle will still be affected if the player is a higher level.

After that, the enemy's attack is over too. The enemy only has the option to attack. They cannot heal/shield/whatevertheotheroptionwillbe. If I added that I would have to create some sort of (simple) ai, which would consume more of my time and also take more space on the level. I am already concerned about space as it is, because there is no variable for enemy level or enemy weakness, so each enemy will have a copy of the battle system except with differences in damage and stuff. I don't know how I will fit all of it in a massive world.

So yeah, that's how the fighting works. It sounds complicated because I explained it thoroughly, but it is quite simple. Also @Creature I'm pretty sure that's not true. An RPG is role-playing because the player usually creates their own character, not because they create their own story. They can give their character a backstory and stuff but the story of the game is the same for everyone.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#15 2015-02-24 18:49:29, last edited by skullz17 (2015-02-24 19:26:13)

skullz17

Update: So, now there are 99 switch IDs. I will keep the same number of weapons and same number of enemies. However, I will add more health so the health of each enemy will vary.

Also, now I can make a variable for enemy level and enemy weakness. This means that all battles can go through one system. This system can check what kind of enemy you are fighting and the enemy's stats, because those are all stored in the switch IDs, and then change damage and stuff according to that.

I'm also thinking about creating more stats for the player and a levelling up system. You can spend points on these stats, and you earn points from levelling up. Stats include things like strength, defense and agility. This will of course make the system

So basically, this world has more potential now that there are 99 switch IDs. I don't plan on experimenting and changing it too much, because that will make this level take a long time to make, and my bc won't wait for me. If I do want to experiment more, I'll do it in a new level after I release this.

EDIT:
Should I make a tutorial in-game? I'm worried it might take up too much space but idk. The other option is to include a tutorial on the forums.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#16 2015-02-24 19:48:54

Creature

skullz17 wrote:

Update: So, now there are 99 switch IDs. I will keep the same number of weapons and same number of enemies. However, I will add more health so the health of each enemy will vary.

Also, now I can make a variable for enemy level and enemy weakness. This means that all battles can go through one system. This system can check what kind of enemy you are fighting and the enemy's stats, because those are all stored in the switch IDs, and then change damage and stuff according to that.

I'm also thinking about creating more stats for the player and a levelling up system. You can spend points on these stats, and you earn points from levelling up. Stats include things like strength, defense and agility. This will of course make the system

So basically, this world has more potential now that there are 99 switch IDs. I don't plan on experimenting and changing it too much, because that will make this level take a long time to make, and my bc won't wait for me. If I do want to experiment more, I'll do it in a new level after I release this.

EDIT:
Should I make a tutorial in-game? I'm worried it might take up too much space but idk. The other option is to include a tutorial on the forums.

Maybe make a tutorial in a different world.

#17 2015-02-24 21:28:15, last edited by Bobithan (2015-02-24 21:29:22)

Bobithan

^ Yeah, that's a good idea. You could also always get more space just by linking worlds with world portals //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile (idk how you could "save" progress though)

aka towwl

#18 2015-02-24 22:26:29

skullz17

I guess the player would have to play the tutorial first, otherwise they will lose their progress.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#19 2015-03-05 20:08:56, last edited by skullz17 (2015-03-05 20:09:16)

skullz17

Okay, I'm losing BC tomorrow, and I'm nowhere near done, due to my lazy nature. Though, even though there is a lot to do, I don't think it will take ages to make. As soon as the weekend comes I will be able to work through a lot of it hopefully. However, if I don't have enough switches, then I may have to wait for that (I probably have enough though, so don't worry about that).

Still, I'm sorry to make you wait. Because of this, here's the first version of the battle system which I made while I was still testing the idea (this is not the same world I am making the actual RPG):

http://everybodyedits.com/games/PWnGzQO4YOb0I

It is very basic, and the final version - which you will see when the level is released - will be a lot more detailed and will involve a lot more variables. There will also be a way to view your health, and the enemy's health. I can probably make a way to convert these variables from binary form to a seven-segment display of them, for those who can't read binary. The display will ofc use different switch IDs to the variables themselves, so the 99 switch IDs is what makes this possible. This process will happen after every turn of the battle.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

Wooted by:

#20 2015-03-05 22:11:52

Herosbow

Sounds like a good idea hope it turns out good.

I think switches really opened up the limitation of systems in EE. I figured out how to make a 6-player FE style S/TRPG where teams of players can battle each other. Limited action is a major problem though, it really sucks that they fixed the inf. glitch.

GL on the level

#21 2015-03-05 22:22:34

Herosbow

Problem: if you hold space going into a battle you will always hit

#22 2015-03-05 22:52:34, last edited by Different55 (2015-03-05 22:54:05)

Different55
Forum Admin

skullz17 wrote:

Okay, I'm losing BC tomorrow, and I'm nowhere near done, due to my lazy nature. Though, even though there is a lot to do, I don't think it will take ages to make. As soon as the weekend comes I will be able to work through a lot of it hopefully. However, if I don't have enough switches, then I may have to wait for that (I probably have enough though, so don't worry about that).

Still, I'm sorry to make you wait. Because of this, here's the first version of the battle system which I made while I was still testing the idea (this is not the same world I am making the actual RPG):

http://everybodyedits.com/games/PWnGzQO4YOb0I

It is very basic, and the final version - which you will see when the level is released - will be a lot more detailed and will involve a lot more variables. There will also be a way to view your health, and the enemy's health. I can probably make a way to convert these variables from binary form to a seven-segment display of them, for those who can't read binary. The display will ofc use different switch IDs to the variables themselves, so the 99 switch IDs is what makes this possible. This process will happen after every turn of the battle.

Dudebro.

This is amazing.

I just want you to know that.

EDIT: Also, the shield is 10/10.

- ShinsukeIto

#23 2015-03-05 23:21:02, last edited by skullz17 (2015-03-05 23:24:17)

skullz17

Herosbow wrote:

Problem: if you hold space going into a battle you will always hit

The hit/miss thing is something that will change in the final version.

@diff thanks, the shield really is helpful isn't it //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue
edit: hm why is that smiley so eager to go on the next line

You know, with so many switch IDs, I could probably create a lot more features, like items that you can use in battles, or stuff like that, and maybe those items could be bought from sort of shop. But I feel like this level should just stay as more of an experiment, because that's what it was planned to be from the beginning. It's also to inspire people to use similar concepts. Maybe if I decide to apply these concepts to something bigger in the future, then I can get really creative with that, and add all of these different things. But for now, I won't make this too complicated.

Also about the tutorial, I don't think I'm gonna make one. I'll just put a small one on the forums.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#24 2015-03-07 13:17:48

skullz17

Um. I've run out of switch doors/gates. I thought they were infinite. It's strange because I don't see them in the shop.

help ;_;

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#25 2015-03-07 13:20:29

Different55
Forum Admin

Sounds like it's time for a bug report.

- ShinsukeIto

skullz171438526338526355

Board footer