Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-19 06:02:54

JadElClemens

Writing Utensil thread

ITT: Fountain Pens = best

Discuss pens and stuff. I might add some resources later (but seriously, we're talking about pens here).

General writing utensil catchall thread. Talk about nice mechanical pencils and lead clutches too, mmm.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#2 2015-02-19 06:42:17

gkaby
Website

Re: Writing Utensil thread

Like kind of zoey said the fountain pen i have is uncomfortable to use and i have to hold it just perfectly for it to write or whatever
though of course it was really cheap and i assume better ones would be comfortable and easier to write with LOL

do you have any recommendations for fountain pens

like in range of 10-20 dollars?

or just recommendations in general

also Ticonderogas are best pencils ive seen

they are also one of the only pencils with usable erasers
most other erasers just smear the graphite all over the page .-.

idk

#3 2015-02-19 06:47:49, last edited by JadElClemens (2015-02-19 06:49:50)

JadElClemens

gkaby wrote:

Like kind of zoey said the fountain pen i have is uncomfortable to use and i have to hold it just perfectly for it to write or whatever
though of course it was really cheap and i assume better ones would be comfortable and easier to write with LOL

I'm gonna guess you've got something awful like a Zebra V-301? I bought one of those. Thing absolutely would not write, I dunno how they get away with selling such awful writing utensils.

gkaby wrote:

do you have any recommendations for fountain pens

like in range of 10-20 dollars?

or just recommendations in general

Well, everyone in any FP community I've explored so far just absolutely creams themselves over the Pilot Metropolitan as a great beginners' pen. I think they're overrated and ugly. I got myself a Nemosine Singularity, a plastic cartridge/converter pen that comes with six of the former and one of the latter. They come in a wide range of colors (I think?), I'd suggest checking out the blue and black marble varieties. Additionally, Nemosine sells the Fission and Neutrino lines, which are both all metal pens. The fissions (the nicest Nemosine sells, IMO) can be found on Amazon and probably other retailers like Goulet/Anderson/whomever Pens for around $25, though that falls out of your range. Save up, maybe. It's probably worth it.

You can also buy a Platinum Preppy for really cheap (though the converter for it, if you want to use bottled ink, is more than twice the price of the pen) or a Pilot Varsity, a pre-filled FP meant to be disposable. They can be refilled with bottled ink, though, with some hacking. I just bought a 7-pack of Varsities (in different colors) off Amazon for $15.

Another really cheap option is the Jinhao line. I've never researched them, but I hear they're pretty high quality for the $5 or so.

gkaby wrote:

also Ticonderogas are best pencils ive seen

they are also one of the only pencils with usable erasers
most other erasers just smear the graphite all over the page .-.

I have heard fantastic thing about Ticonderogas. I feel like I'm past standard wood pencils though, if I want a nice thick line I'll just get a 2-3mm lead clutch or something.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#4 2015-02-19 06:59:02

gkaby
Website

found pen and checked i cant find a name on it lol

im going to look into nemosines

idk

#5 2015-02-19 21:55:10

Deltaz

All I know is that any pen tip larger than 1mm is awful. 0.7mm is about the perfect size. And you need multiple colors, too.

#6 2015-02-19 22:37:04, last edited by JadElClemens (2015-02-19 22:38:36)

JadElClemens

gkaby wrote:

found pen and checked i cant find a name on it lol

im going to look into nemosines

Sweet, lemme know how that works out!

Deltaz wrote:

All I know is that any pen tip larger than 1mm is awful. 0.7mm is about the perfect size.

I don't know the exact mm measures of fountain pen nibs, especially because they vary slightly between regions, but F/M nibs are perfect for utility. Bigger nibs are better for aesthetics, of course. Back when I was using ballpoints, 0.5mm was my sweet spot.

Deltaz wrote:

And you need multiple colors, too.

This is exactly why I got into fountain pens. Bottled inks are fascinating.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#7 2015-02-19 23:27:22, last edited by Anch (2015-02-19 23:27:50)

Anch

Ballpoints are disgusting, rollerballs are kewl, fountain pens are AWESOME.
And if you think a ballpoint is a rollerball then go back to kindergarten.

#8 2015-02-20 04:14:52

Onjit
Website

I use fineliners. They're better than ballpoint pens, and they're great for drawing too.

:.|:;

#9 2015-02-20 04:21:40

JadElClemens

Onjit wrote:

I use fineliners. They're better than ballpoint pens, and they're great for drawing too.

Is that essentially just a thin rollerball?

I can't fathom the thought of drawing with a pen. Then again, I can't fathom the thought of drawing. I don't draw.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#10 2015-02-20 04:29:55

Onjit
Website

the internet wrote:

Fineliner pens are a class of fine fibre or plastic tip pens that are typically used for graphic, drawing or sketching purposes, but are also popular for handwriting as many people like the unique feel of the tip compared to a traditional ball-tipped pen.

Basically they are perfect what I do - lots of drawing and ruler-work, and handwriting.

Ever tried drawing with a fountain pen? Impossible.

:.|:;

#11 2015-02-20 04:52:18

gkaby
Website

I've drawn a line with a fountain pen before. But that's where I'd draw the line on what I'd draw with a fountain pen.

idk

#12 2015-02-21 05:52:17

Sybil

my mechanical pencils keep breaking lol

i don't have the kind where if you step on them they shatter into 10 pieces and break lol

f0uiwo.png

#13 2015-02-22 06:04:25

JadElClemens

Onjit wrote:
the internet wrote:

Fineliner pens[...]

Basically they are perfect what I do - lots of drawing and ruler-work, and handwriting.

Ever tried drawing with a fountain pen? Impossible.

Yeah, I can't imagine it works entirely well.

gkaby wrote:

I've drawn a line with a fountain pen before. But that's where I'd draw the line on what I'd draw with a fountain pen.

Do you mean you don't like the writing experience at all, or just the drawing experience?

Personally, now that I've written with some fountain pens, I don't think I'd be able to bear writing with a ballpoint. That's just me. The experience is just too smooth, too nice.

Sybil wrote:

my mechanical pencils keep breaking lol

i don't have the kind where if you step on them they shatter into 10 pieces and break lol

Mechanical pencils are something I'd like to get into. I want to get a rOtring 600 and maybe a TWSBI Precision. I want a Uni Kuru Toga too (the ones that rotate the lead as you write). An exchange student from Japan that my family hosted gave me one Freshman year, but I didn't realize what an amazing utensil I had at the time. I dunno if it got lost or I just stopped using it, but I regret not keeping it //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#14 2015-02-22 07:17:06

gkaby
Website

Just the drawing experience, I found it very fun to "write" with a fountain pen I even "tried" writing/drawing calligraphy. Though I don't think I would try drawing anything else.

Also its especially fun to write with fountain pens because I'd spent a year or so trying to write in italics 24/7 so when I try to write in italics with a fountain pen it usually looks nice.

Sent from immobile.

idk

#15 2015-02-22 15:03:42, last edited by Calicara (2015-02-22 15:04:12)

Calicara

For Pencils I like Bic .7 or .5mm. .9 is way to big and needs to be burned. Wooden pencils are good too, but they write too thick for me.

For pens I like varsity pseudo fountain pens: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G0QZUXK/ref … ds=varsity
they also impress all the easily impressed nobs at my college.

For marker pens I like Micron and Nano-liners, though I've heard millennium makes good marker pens too.

tgA1y17.jpg
I am obsessed with Steven Universe

#16 2015-02-22 16:23:28

BuzzerBee
Forum Admin

As far as pencils I really only use mechanical ones

My favorite is the Pentel QuickDock and I would highly recommend it because it's lasted me all school year and I haven't had to reload the dock. Granted all my essays and long documents are in pen, it's still a highly reliable pencil and the eraser is super long and twist up, which is a huge plus.

TdQRyz3.png
https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/5/5d/135_bee

#17 2015-02-22 17:33:56

Anak

Fountain pens annoy me. I can feel them jus scratch on the paper and it gives me awful chills.

#18 2015-02-22 19:01:49

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

If you live in Europe, I highly suggest bic's AI mechanical pencils.

If you live in America, I highly suggest getting a time machine back to 2009ish and hoarding them... or just importing them from Europe.

.7 master lead size.

Seriously, between some bic AI's I've had for years and Pilot v5s, I refuse to write with anything else unless it's a calligraphy pen.

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

#19 2015-02-22 19:03:39

Anak

Bic pens are wonderful. I'm not picky over pens though, as long as it works.
I love the pens from Tiger, though.

#20 2015-02-22 19:58:20

Koya
Fabulous Member

I can't write with any sort of biro, I love the Pilot liquid ink pens.

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

I stack my signatures rather than delete them so I don't lose them
giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

#21 2015-02-22 21:08:00

JadElClemens

gkaby wrote:

Just the drawing experience, I found it very fun to "write" with a fountain pen I even "tried" writing/drawing calligraphy. Though I don't think I would try drawing anything else.

Right, gotcha.

Calicara wrote:

For pens I like varsity pseudo fountain pens: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G0QZUXK/ref … ds=varsity
they also impress all the easily impressed nobs at my college.

Based on my limited experience, varsities write just like "real" fountain pens. The ink feathers more on cheap paper than some of the more expensive ink does, which is weird because you'd think they'd account for the fact that most of their users will not be using super FP-friendly paper.

Anak wrote:

Fountain pens annoy me. I can feel them jus scratch on the paper and it gives me awful chills.

Like I told Zoey in the other thread, they really shouldn't be that way. Maybe you've got alignment issues, or maybe you need to smooth out the nib. Maybe you've just got an awful nib, I dunno. But a proper nib won't do that.

Koya wrote:

I can't write with any sort of biro, I love the Pilot liquid ink pens.

Liquid ink is literally the bomb.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#22 2015-02-22 22:44:17, last edited by Calicara (2015-02-22 22:44:34)

Calicara

I'm not an entirely huge fan of the varsity pen, more the way it looks haha. I use it when I'm around non-english majors and they're all like, omg cool pen. It also has a tendency to only write from a certain angle. If you don't hold it right it won't write at all. But yea. I don't use it as much as I show it around.

Pilot pens are pretty nice. I like the way they roll.

tgA1y17.jpg
I am obsessed with Steven Universe

#23 2015-02-24 02:51:38, last edited by Anch (2015-02-24 02:54:17)

Anch

I just got a new Jinhao 250 pen which I filled and it works great! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue
Btw if it feels scratchy you should get a brass sheet or a clean non-fibrous paper and run it through the nib. Also you should do that often so fibers don't get stuck in the feed...

#24 2015-02-26 04:26:04

JadElClemens

anch159 wrote:

I just got a new Jinhao 250 pen which I filled and it works great! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue
Btw if it feels scratchy you should get a brass sheet or a clean non-fibrous paper and run it through the nib. Also you should do that often so fibers don't get stuck in the feed...

Nice! Today's my birthday, and my parents got me (among other things) a new TWSBI Vac 700 (EF, I think). It's super cool, can't wait to use it on some homework or something.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#25 2015-02-26 21:42:35, last edited by Anch (2015-02-26 21:43:04)

Anch

JadElClemens wrote:
anch159 wrote:

Nice! Today's my birthday, and my parents got me (among other things) a new TWSBI Vac 700 (EF, I think). It's super cool, can't wait to use it on some homework or something.

I used to use it in school but then I decided it was a waste of ink.
And plus they banned them cause people were getting up to get tissues too often to clean their nib.

JadElClemens1426132907481652

Board footer