Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

SeymourG

FluxBB

For the love of God, how do you isntall FluxBB to a site? ;_; I've been searching for an hour now and I can't frickin find more than three guides, all of which are for different things or very obscure. Anyone?

If it matters, I'm using Chrome on Windows 7, and if possible I'd like to convert a proboards forum to FluxBB. If I can't, then that's fine.

#2 Before February 2015

Zumza

Re: FluxBB

Do you know html, php, MySql? if no I cant help you sorry.

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

#3 Before February 2015

SeymourG

I know html stuff, but not the other... two...

#4 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

You don't need to know much of anything. It's really simple.
Reaallly simple. In fact, I think the creators made it simple on purpose.

I would advise using PunBB instead of FluxBB, though. In FluxBB, you need to manually edit PHP files to add new extensions, and extensions can interfere with each other if they replace/edit the same part of a script. PunBB has a nice extensions system using hooks so you can easily install/disable/uninstall any extension you want.

For either PunBB or FluxBB, here's how you install it:
1. Obtain a website. I'm going to suggest using http://www.000webhost.com as your host.

2a. Make a MySQL database. If you're using 000webhost, sign in, create the website, then go down to MySQL and make a new database. When you click Create Database, write down all the information there. Copy it to notepad or something. Click Back to Control Panel
2b. If you aren't using 000webhost, figure out how to make a MySQL database. If whatever host you're using doesn't let you do that, find a new one.

3. Download ???BB from either http://punbb.informer.com/ or http://fluxbb.org/downloads/ . Extract the contents of either to a folder wherever you want.

4. Get your FTP details.
4a. If on 000webhost, click View FTP Details.
4b. If elsewhere, good luck.

5. Download, install, and open FileZilla FTP Client.

6a. If 000webhost, copy hostname, username, and password from the View FTP Details page and put them into the text boxes at the top. Leave Port blank. Click Quickconnect.
6b. If elsewhere, copy FTP details into boxes at top. Leave Port blank. Click Quickconnect.

7. If you see a folder called public_html on the right, click it. The left box shows the files on your computer. Find the folder with the forumstuff, then select everything in the folder. Right click, and hit upload.

8a. If PunBB, go to yourwebsitehere.com/admin/install.php. If FluxBB, go to yourwebsitehere.com/install.php.
If you're using 000, pick MySQL Standard from the dropdown. If you're not sure, pick this.
If 000, look at the stuff you copied down earlier, and copy the one that looks like "mysql??.000webhost.com" into Database server. Do the same for the rest of the information until you get to Prefix.
Leave Prefix blank, unless you plan on installing multiple copies or want to install both FluxBB and PunBB.
For the next 3 boxes, enter the admin account's information.
The last one should already be filled out. If it isn't, type in the name of your website with http:// at the beginning and .com .net .org .whatever at the end. No slashes.
If you're using PunBB, you're done here. Click the button, sign in, and start making changes.
If you're using FluxBB, there's more a little more to do, but none of it should need any extra explaining.

Last edited by Different55 (May 2 2013 8:53:43 pm)

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

SeymourG1423711809249623

Board footer