Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 Before February 2015

Flare

Re: New bricks and other stuff

.. ^ that. You pretty much summed it up.

#27 Before February 2015

Alex

Some of the recolors are ok, but all the Mario blocks are pointless(and would get the game sued something awful), the vertical blocks, too are pointless because it wouldn't work(think of the minimap, a block is 1x1 pixel on the minimap, there's no way to make slanted blocks half a pixel ;-;) the coins are a bad idea, because it would molest the screen of space in the top right corner. The crowns are far too similar, and would be confusing for the level creator to figure out which ones have and have not been used. And finally, I support more key doors/reverse doors, however, I believe they should be made to math the existing basic blocks first before we start adding new colors. But still, they are just recolors(which don't seem to match the other bricks at all, EE's colors are very muted and distinct for the similar saturation.

Jojomanjo wrote:

Rips, such a word?

A rip is something taken from something else(in a way, a short term for rip off), very common in spriting communities.

It is called a quote,

I suggest you know what you're talking about before you try to be a smarmy know-it-all.

And I am not dissimulating that I am a real robot.

Oh my god, are you like 12 or something?
-
Fun fact: this post had quite a few choice words replaced because cyclone doesn't want people to swear. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

Last edited by alex (Oct 4 2010 11:34:01 pm)

#28 Before February 2015

YoshisIsland

alex wrote:

the vertical blocks, too are pointless because it wouldn't work(think of the minimap, a block is 1x1 pixel on the minimap, there's no way to make slanted blocks half a pixel ;-;)

Then all of the community SHOULDN'T have suggested the ramp/slanted blocks

Some of the recolors are ok, but all the Mario blocks are pointless(and would get the game sued something awful),

As much as I know EE has 3 none-mario bricks and one of those can't be used without using cheat engine.
About all other critic: It depends on the taste. Everything depends on Chris's decision. It those SOME of those tiles and objects won't be added then they won't be added that's all I say. It's just a collection of possible blocks that COULD be added. (or whatever something like that.)

Last edited by YoshisIsland (Oct 5 2010 5:34:32 am)

#29 Before February 2015

Cola1

alex wrote:

Some of the recolors are ok, but all the Mario blocks are pointless(and would get the game sued something awful), the vertical blocks, too are pointless because it wouldn't work(think of the minimap, a block is 1x1 pixel on the minimap, there's no way to make slanted blocks half a pixel ;-;) the coins are a bad idea, because it would molest the screen of space in the top right corner. The crowns are far too similar, and would be confusing for the level creator to figure out which ones have and have not been used. And finally, I support more key doors/reverse doors, however, I believe they should be made to math the existing basic blocks first before we start adding new colors. But still, they are just recolors(which don't seem to match the other bricks at all, EE's colors are very muted and distinct for the similar saturation.

Jojomanjo wrote:

Rips, such a word?

A rip is something taken from something else(in a way, a short term for rip off), very common in spriting communities.

It is called a quote,

I suggest you know what you're talking about before you try to be a smarmy know-it-all.

-
Fun fact: this post had quite a few choice words replaced because cyclone doesn't want people to swear. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

I don't think you'd need to make half a pixel

smilpat.gif
kQgdwOD.png

#30 Before February 2015

Alex

YoshisIsland wrote:

Some of the recolors are ok, but all the Mario blocks are pointless(and would get the game sued something awful),

As much as I know EE has 3 none-mario bricks and one of those can't be used without using cheat engine.

As much as the bricks may bear similarities to the ones in various mario games, they are all unique to the game.

#31 Before February 2015

YoshisIsland

neweeblocksexample1.png

They look good in my opinion :\ :rolleyes: hmm..

#32 Before February 2015

RPGMaster2000

Agreed, I think that looks amazing, YoshisIsland!

#33 Before February 2015

Zap

S*** just got real serious.

I like the re-colors, but I want more originality.

Also, it takes more than designs to be an Admin.

#34 Before February 2015

Azarlak

I love it!

#35 Before February 2015

YoshisIsland

Zap wrote:

S*** just got real serious.

I like the re-colors, but I want more originality.

Also, it takes more than designs to be an Admin.

I can get adobe flash cs 4 professional for free too and I can learn languages pretty fast if I want to. Is it enough now? -.-

Just to point that out.

#36 Before February 2015

Alex

That image looks decent, but you're response to criticism is very childish.
The snow bricks would look better with a different block beneath them, imo, as it has some strange contrast going on(also I'd recommend making the snow darker and bluer, as it'd be the lightest block in the game otherwise).
The ice block needs to be remade, as it's a blatant ripoff,
The water blocks are great, and the underwater brick matches very well.
Why can't we just use the current brick block? it looks better and has already been put in the game.
I have already explained why I dislike ramps.
And the new coins/crowns, as I said before, aren't a great idea.
I also don't like the colors chosen for the new basic and beta blocks.

That being said these are pretty good, so keep trying, dude.

#37 Before February 2015

YoshisIsland

That image looks decent, but you're response to criticism is very childish.  
~Maybe because I'm 15 years old and didn't feel well.

The snow bricks would look better with a different block beneath them, imo, as it has some strange contrast going on(also I'd recommend)
~you mean that the white snow and dark brown brick don't match? I understand.

making the snow darker and bluer, as it'd be the lightest block in the game otherwise).
~Snow is the lightest on the world and is known as white. Maybe it looks better without the other blocks which would compare it.

The ice block needs to be remade, as it's a blatant ripoff,
~Unfortunately you're wrong in this case. The ice block is a Mario ice block with a coin inside but I've edited the block so far that there's no coin in it anymore.

The water blocks are great, and the underwater brick matches very well.
~The top looks a bit weird I already tho about surface but it would be better if it's kept simple so we don't have an overload of blocks.

Why can't we just use the current brick block? it looks better and has already been put in the game.
~The current tiles are in the tile-set too. So I don't get your question.

I have already explained why I dislike ramps.
~I just made graphics for the suggestion. And Chris already mentioned it in the stuff he's going to add. So we only have to think about a way to print the ramp blocks/slanted blocks onto the map.

And the new coins/crowns, as I said before, aren't a great idea.
~The crown difference can be seen. They seem to be the same on the first look but when you look at it a second time they look different. Although I could think about some better change. About the coins: Yeah we already have 2 coins but there are games with more than 2 coins.
In the end it's Chris decision anyways.

I also don't like the colors chosen for the new basic and beta blocks.
~I think this depends on the persons taste. Some may like pink for example others may hate it.

That being said these are pretty good, so keep trying, dude.
~Again sorry for being childish before. And thanks. I'll keep trying to make the blocks similar to the simple style of EE. Maybe some of you people won't like the way I think but in my opinion variety is awesome. Not because of trolling reasons just because I love rainbow colors and you would have more blocks for mini games which are all colorful. You could make great art too!

Last edited by YoshisIsland (Oct 7 2010 11:29:42 am)

#38 Before February 2015

RPGMaster2000

I think everyone already know that the game uses graphics ripped from other games, but personally, I don't think that can really justify any other graphics designers (such as you and me) using this as an excuse to get lazy.

If Chris were to add more Mario blocks to the game, I doubt anyone would really mind. Hell I know I wouldn't. But the point I'm making is that the expectations made on forum members that wish to contribute graphics are quite different from what they expect Chris to add in the game. Using Mario blocks and recoloring them is just being lazy and does not exactly add to your credibility as a graphics designer.

That said, I'd like to reiterate where I said that they were quite good looking and the ramps were, in my opinion, quite well done. You have potential, but please don't use any more source material from other games. Originality is where it's at! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Last edited by RPGMaster2000 (Oct 7 2010 11:48:51 am)

#39 Before February 2015

YoshisIsland

I've used few blocks as start off. I already made some great graphics in MSpaint (unbelieveable I know) And I run out of useable blocks that already exist anyways xD xD. Well however I planned on adding your glass blocks because they seem to really look good and recolor them to some more colors. And after that I'll start making new blocks (since I run out of already existing blocks //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue).

The main reasons I'm lazy: Because   I am xD, Because of school, because of C++ and now VC++, because of homepage, because of searching for a job and stuff.

I'll try my best. Oh and a little note beside: I'll do requests too so feel free to request and thing that seems to look good for EE.
As I'm not the best one in getting ideas. xP

#40 Before February 2015

Azarlak

A burning block?

#41 Before February 2015

YoshisIsland

AZarlak wrote:

A burning block?

More information would be useful //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

#42 Before February 2015

Azarlak

YoshisIsland wrote:
AZarlak wrote:

A burning block?

Like what? I come with the basic idéa and you make something out of it. Ok?

#43 Before February 2015

YoshisIsland

AZarlak wrote:
YoshisIsland wrote:
AZarlak wrote:

A burning block?

Like what? I come with the basic idéa and you make something out of it. Ok?

Well okay let's see what I imagine //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

#44 Before February 2015

frec100

i like it //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile:):)

#45 Before February 2015

Zerda

I like it! It's pretty cool //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile..
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Last edited by Zerda (Mar 15 2011 12:18:07 pm)

#46 Before February 2015

rdococ

Alex wrote:

Jojomanjo wrote:

Rips, such a word?

It is called a quote,

-

To my knowledge, a block is actually 3x3. However if it is 1x1, can't it just be a darker version of the pixel in the minimap? That's close to half a pixel. I've seen half-a-pixels before.

#47 Before February 2015

Jeremifier

I LOVE THEM ALL!! We really need those in EE!! But I don't really like the water ones...:D

#48 Before February 2015

CrazyGrape

As for the mario blocks, anyone could take stuff from a sprite sheet such as this and use them as graphic suggestions...
nsmbtilesetmegaicon1174324757.png
(Image from MFGG. Rip from game by C.J. Hammer)
I would say the recolors and the ice block without the coin would be fine though...

Last edited by CrazyGrape (Apr 26 2011 8:42:37 pm)

#49 Before February 2015

jj4

cool stuff //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

#50 Before February 2015

JadElClemens

y'know, I love the ramps, but how would the physics work? It seems like the diagonal movement would be buggy as hell...

As for new bricks, I would suggest making some easter-themed decorations, and some different versions of crowns. Not recolors, but new versions altogether.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

YoshisIsland 1423718474242958

Board footer