Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-08 01:22:13

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

My vision of EEU switches

In EE, we have two switches: purple and orange. I'm sure you know the properties of them, so I'll skip that.

For EEU, I propose having three types of switches, all with unique properties not replicatable (on a large scale) in current EE.
Purple switches would be as they are in EE, but they carry over through world portals (or equivalent). This means that if you have switches 1, 4, and 8 enabled, when you go through the world portal they will remain enabled. For worlds that use world portals in a world hub or "go to the next world" fashion, they can simply put a switch resetter at the world portal or spawnpoint. The use of this property would be for projects that span multiple worlds either due to size or as a stylistic choice, or even just as a way to handle information better (in a world hub, you can have a large multi-world puzzle that spans more than one of your worlds!).
Orange switches would also be as they are in EE, but they don't reset when the world goes offline. This allows for persistent data collection, or having silly extras that don't need to be faked (eg. in Infinite Journey (Kank), orange switches are used for a quiz time question - but if no one's been to that quiz time question before, it can't figure out which option should be correct. In The Aurora Crystal (Andymakeer), there's a multiplayer item stash that can have items placed into or taken from - but it would never get any use even if the world took off because the items would get removed after everyone leaves.).
Green switches (color tbd) would be a new switch type that has the property that they are saved, even after the player leaves and returns to the world. To save serverside storage space, they are saved on the player's computer somewhere. This means that they can be cheated - if EEU gets good anticheat, then level creators can choose to not use green switches as to avoid cheating. The main use of this is having an extra that the player can access if they've reached a certain point in the world (eg. you can access an extra winroom if you've won the world before, or have permanent access to godmode if you've achieved 100%), but it has advanced uses too (it saves through a /reset, or a savefile load; that has some good puzzle uses).

----

As a replacement to switch resetters, I think my switch setters suggestion from before should be used. There can be a simple "set to on/off" option (which is enough for simple contraptions), but power users could make use of the ability to copy a switch's setting to that of another switch.

suddenly random sig change

#2 2019-09-08 10:31:58

peace

Re: My vision of EEU switches

yeah that snice so you can actulay make HUB worlds imagine my slide to the finish world that i own that is quite WIP (due to me not having inspirtation for more levels and due to lack fo space/switches to add more features) it uses space to have a crappy level select menu with just 3x3 boxes a portal and a coindoor it works but it quite ugly if you can imagine Click to play PW3QKKfiRicEI! here is it fi you wanan check complete teh 13 already made levels to get godmode alos space isuses in EEU still remain as the max world size is 400x600 or 600x400and yeah a simple switch resetter before or afte rteh worldportal can still work tho it should be updated so you can reset an X set of switches imagine if you have 1-100 on and want to turn off alll but 5,7,13,19,22,30,40,56,78,83,99 will be a pain in the ****
yeah well there shoudl be a way to reset all of them like what if we have super ee party? imo my idea for such great worlds that there is an option to reset all the global switches if everyone fo X gorup agrees (nto all players in world becuase if afking then youre ****) in cause of SEEP its all poeple whihc own a team can vote to reset everyone has to agree it will reset the globals then i hav emixed feelings about these switches maby an 4th switch that is global but resets when ofline?
i dont get this switch tbh is liek purple but doesnt carry over wiht worldprotals but instead stays at that state forever? (until you hit it again) what if world owner rebuilds the level? also isnt this kidna what the prle switches do liek you suggested they carry over wiht world portals they are kidna 'fixed' alsowhy not sotre it on the EE severs? you already store the state of globals in your previous idea this suggestion is kinda meh
switch setters are a good idea as i duggested in purple being able to set an X set of switches and wiht an command ro such being able to see what it resets

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#3 2019-09-08 12:20:59

mikelolsuperman
Website

Other than color, what is the difference between purple and green?

Blue is my favourite color
BhC68b8.png

Signature made by Nebula

I also like lasagna, but not when it's blue

#4 2019-09-08 13:22:19

peace

mikelolsuperman wrote:

form what i see purple sis liek EE BUT CARRYS OVER WITH WORLDPORTALS
green is liek purple but is ppermanent so save sif you leave the world like when you win and get godmdoe you dont have to beat the world again to get godmode again

peace.png

#5 2019-09-08 16:33:03, last edited by Slabdrill (2019-09-08 16:33:31)

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

peace wrote:

yeah well there shoudl be a way to reset all of them like what if we have super ee party? imo my idea for such great worlds that there is an option to reset all the global switches if everyone fo X gorup agrees (nto all players in world becuase if afking then youre ****) in cause of SEEP its all poeple whihc own a team can vote to reset everyone has to agree it will reset the globals then i hav emixed feelings about these switches maby an 4th switch that is global but resets when ofline?

I don't think it's necessary. Complex mechanisms should be built in a way that can be reset manually if required.

mikelolsuperman wrote:

purple - same as ee, but carries through world portals
green - when collected, that is saved permanently. Even resetting the world won't reset it. So, if you place a green switch at, say, a god block (to then open the path to that god block), that switch will always be active even if you come back a year later.

#6 2019-09-08 17:28:24

mikelolsuperman
Website

The green switch stays active in only that world or is it also with world portals?

Blue is my favourite color
BhC68b8.png

Signature made by Nebula

I also like lasagna, but not when it's blue

#7 2019-09-08 17:37:42

ShadowsEdge

I think the main difference between Green and Purple switches is that Purple is the only one that carries through world portals

Don't ask me what I'm doing, I don't even know what I'm doing.

~BeepnBoop

Forums_Signature-1.png_3.png

#8 2019-09-08 17:42:16

peace

Slabdrill wrote:
peace wrote:

I don't think it's necessary. Complex mechanisms should be built in a way that can be reset manually if required.

mikelolsuperman wrote:

green - when collected, that is saved permanently. Even resetting the world won't reset it. So, if you place a green switch at, say, a god block (to then open the path to that god block), that switch will always be active even if you come back a year later.

1. super EE party isnt you hae to tieirhter leave all or have kirby /resetall
2. this is bad what if owner decides to rebuild the level? and you still have say green switch 0?

peace.png

Wooted by:

#9 2019-09-08 19:31:30, last edited by Slabdrill (2019-09-08 19:32:19)

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

mikelolsuperman wrote:

The green switch stays active in only that world or is it also with world portals?

only in that world. it would be hard to make work with world portals, as there would be problems with stuff like if your incoming green switches overwrite the green switches in the world you're going to (which I can't think of a reason that you'd want except for very large-scale projects, which are going to be extremely uncommon... and there's workarounds).

ShadowsEdge wrote:

I think the main difference between Green and Purple switches is that Purple is the only one that carries through world portals

that is not the main difference; the carrying between world portals is a side extra to purple switches to make them more useful and shunt behavior to an existing block instead of making a new one for the same purpose.

peace wrote:
Slabdrill wrote:
peace wrote:

mikelolsuperman wrote:

1. super EE party isnt you hae to tieirhter leave all or have kirby /resetall
2. this is bad what if owner decides to rebuild the level? and you still have say green switch 0?

1. then kirby should build it better next time. eeu should come with extra tools to make it easier to build it better, which i could suggest but they'd be far less useful than this.
2. that's the level owner's fault if they didn't think of that. there's ways to get around it with foreplanning.

#10 2019-09-08 21:17:46

peace

alos can greenswitch by anymeans be turned off? and can there be an option to turn it off fo reveryone if you really wanna use the world form somethign else?

peace.png

#11 2019-09-08 23:29:19

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

peace wrote:

alos can greenswitch by anymeans be turned off? and can there be an option to turn it off fo reveryone if you really wanna use the world form somethign else?

1. They're switches. That means they work like you'd expect a switch to. You can also turn off a green switch by modifying the file that has them saved.
2. That's possible, yes. It would likely use a similar system to whatever they use for if you remove a save point that someone saved at.

#12 2019-09-09 07:36:07, last edited by peace (2019-09-09 07:36:42)

peace

also why save it at your pc not everyone wants hundred files of greenswithces flooading their storage

Slabdrill wrote:

To save serverside storage space, they are saved on the player's computer somewhere.

Slabdrill wrote:

but they don't reset when the world goes offline. This allows for persistent data collection, and for flooding the sever wiht data

peace.png

#13 2019-09-09 20:57:41, last edited by Slabdrill (2019-09-09 20:58:44)

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

peace wrote:

also why save it at your pc not everyone wants hundred files of greenswithces flooading their storage

Slabdrill wrote:

To save serverside storage space, they are saved on the player's computer somewhere.

Slabdrill wrote:

but they don't reset when the world goes offline. This allows for persistent data collection, and for flooding the sever wiht data

I've suggested the green switches before. LukeM said no because they take up serverside storage space of O(n^2) where n is game activity. If the user saves them instead, it's only O(n) on their computer - completely managable, unless you play like 4 million worlds.
Storing 1000 extra bits per world is not storage intensive. The game already uses much more than that to save a world with a single sign at the character limit.

#14 2020-05-20 19:05:03

XxTheProTx9999Xx

Slabdrill wrote:

In EE, we have two switches: purple and orange. I'm sure you know the properties of them, so I'll skip that.

For EEU, I propose having three types of switches, all with unique properties not replicatable (on a large scale) in current EE.
Purple switches would be as they are in EE, but they carry over through world portals (or equivalent). This means that if you have switches 1, 4, and 8 enabled, when you go through the world portal they will remain enabled. For worlds that use world portals in a world hub or "go to the next world" fashion, they can simply put a switch resetter at the world portal or spawnpoint. The use of this property would be for projects that span multiple worlds either due to size or as a stylistic choice, or even just as a way to handle information better (in a world hub, you can have a large multi-world puzzle that spans more than one of your worlds!).
Orange switches would also be as they are in EE, but they don't reset when the world goes offline. This allows for persistent data collection, or having silly extras that don't need to be faked (eg. in Infinite Journey (Kank), orange switches are used for a quiz time question - but if no one's been to that quiz time question before, it can't figure out which option should be correct. In The Aurora Crystal (Andymakeer), there's a multiplayer item stash that can have items placed into or taken from - but it would never get any use even if the world took off because the items would get removed after everyone leaves.).
Green switches (color tbd) would be a new switch type that has the property that they are saved, even after the player leaves and returns to the world. To save serverside storage space, they are saved on the player's computer somewhere. This means that they can be cheated - if EEU gets good anticheat, then level creators can choose to not use green switches as to avoid cheating. The main use of this is having an extra that the player can access if they've reached a certain point in the world (eg. you can access an extra winroom if you've won the world before, or have permanent access to godmode if you've achieved 100%), but it has advanced uses too (it saves through a /reset, or a savefile load; that has some good puzzle uses).

----

As a replacement to switch resetters, I think my switch setters suggestion from before should be used. There can be a simple "set to on/off" option (which is enough for simple contraptions), but power users could make use of the ability to copy a switch's setting to that of another switch.

i literally had the exact same idea, and what about green coins with the same properties?

#15 2020-05-20 19:26:30

peace

these ideascoudll still satnd havgi ng thigns to carry over with world portals is good i suggested portalble (green??) wordl portals few years back to toop to convert coin/switch/death amount ect to next world he said he woudl comunicate it with team enver got a response back

peace.png

peace1589999190781152

Board footer