Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-11 22:46:24

shoppa

Why does the lobby say elemental is medium-hard?

When there are space levels that are extreme?

Shouldn't it be tagged as Medium-Extreme then?

#2 2018-12-11 22:59:15

mikelolsuperman
Website

Re: Why does the lobby say elemental is medium-hard?

The medium-hard tag is the average difficulty, there are some medium-hard campaigns that have the first 2 campaigns on medium and then 1 on hard so it's in between with difficulty.

Blue is my favourite color
BhC68b8.png

Signature made by Nebula

I also like lasagna, but not when it's blue

Wooted by: (3)

#3 2018-12-11 22:59:49, last edited by LukeM (2018-12-11 23:00:31)

LukeM
Website

A big misunderstanding about the difficulty labels is that they describe the range of difficulties in the campaign (e.g. Medium-Hard means that there are both Medium and Hard parts of the worlds). This is not correct however, its saying that on average the world / campaign is somewhere between Medium and Hard. I guess think of Medium-Hard as "Medium and a half" XD

This doesn't make much of a difference with most campaigns though, its only really shown in a few special cases, for example when theres a campaign like Elemental which ranges from Easy-Medium to Extreme. The labelling is just saying that most of the worlds in the campaign are around the Medium-Hard difficulty.

Ninja'd again XD
Seems to be happening abnormally often recently

Wooted by:

#4 2018-12-12 00:06:01, last edited by azurepudding (2018-12-12 04:37:51)

azurepudding

It's kinda misleading, yeah.  It should get a special tag of Medium-Hard-Extreme, or maybe just Medium-Extreme.  Tho if I had to pick between Medium-Hard and Hard-MediumEXTREME, the latter makes more sense I think.

Azure2.png

#5 2018-12-12 00:06:49

den3107

Might I object to this system?

This average is "misleading" in a sense.
I mean yeah, it might be medium-hard on average, but people who know they can handle hard might get super discouraged or might even feel betrayed once they actually meet that extreme level, which they have no way of passing.
Taking it a bit too literal, while the average might be medium-hard, you're going to need more skill than that to actually be able to complete the ENTIRE thing. In this case due to the extreme maps.

Wooted by: (2)

#6 2018-12-12 00:56:24, last edited by LukeM (2018-12-12 00:57:25)

LukeM
Website

den3107 wrote:

Might I object to this system?

This average is "misleading" in a sense.
I mean yeah, it might be medium-hard on average, but people who know they can handle hard might get super discouraged or might even feel betrayed once they actually meet that extreme level, which they have no way of passing.
Taking it a bit too literal, while the average might be medium-hard, you're going to need more skill than that to actually be able to complete the ENTIRE thing. In this case due to the extreme maps.

I guess there are two ways of thinking about it:

1. All the enjoyment comes from finishing the campaign
- This is what would be the case if you were only playing the campaign for the final reward
- The campaign itself is really boring, but when you get to the end you get a "wow I finished it" moment making it all worth it
- In this case the "difficulty is the hardest component you need to beat" method would make sense, as you can't get to the end without beating the whole thing

2. The enjoyment is spread throughout the whole campaign
- This is what would be the case if you play campaigns because you enjoy playing EE worlds
- You have fun throughout the whole campaign, enjoying each level you play
- In this case the "difficulty is the average of the components" method would make sense, as it doesn't matter if you complete the campaign, you've had fun nonetheless

Picking 1 when 2 is correct also has bad consequences, for example I don't expect to actually finish the campaign, but if it were labelled Hard-Extreme / Extreme then I would have never even clicked on it, and would have never had the fun I've had playing it.

(Personally I'm strongly in favour of system 2)

Wooted by:

#7 2018-12-12 04:37:28

azurepudding

azurepudding wrote:

It's kinda misleading, yeah.  It should get a special tag of Medium-Hard-Extreme, or maybe just Medium-Extreme.  Tho if I had to pick between Medium-Hard and Hard-MediumEXTREME, the latter makes more sense I think.

O NO i messed up.

But yeh you can kind of compare the entirety of the elemental campaign pack as a game, and when you're told a game is medium difficulty but the final level is absolutely brutally difficult, you feel kind of lied to.  And usually when you play a game, you intend to finish it, yeah?  Especially when there's something as cool as the galaxy aura dangling over you as a huge reason to even play through and finish it all.

Azure2.png

#8 2018-12-12 07:59:01

mikelolsuperman
Website

LukeM wrote:

Ninja'd again XD

How come your posts sometimes include the same info as the post above but you post it <60 seconds after the other post? Kinda strange

BhC68b8.png

Signature made by Nebula

#9 2018-12-12 14:10:58

MWstudios

mikelolsuperman wrote:
LukeM wrote:

Ninja'd again XD

How come your posts sometimes include the same info as the post above but you post it <60 seconds after the other post? Kinda strange

You can avoid that if you notice other posts written on the bottom of the page after clicking Preview
but who uses Preview today

Time before becoming a Member - Leaderboard
1. Whirl - 9 months
2. KirbyKareem - 8 months
3. pwnzor - 2.4 months
4. MWstudios - 2 months
5. ILikeTofuuJoe - 1.5 months
giphy.gif Piskel is the best GIF maker I've seen
HG's signature for me - Anatoly's signature for me
The Mashed Potatoes Song - The longest post on EE forums - Play my Minesweeper

#10 2018-12-12 14:52:12

peace

MWstudios wrote:
mikelolsuperman wrote:
LukeM wrote:

Ninja'd again XD

You can avoid that if you notice other posts written on the bottom of the page after clicking Preview

i someitme so thcekc if BBC code is used corectly

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#11 2018-12-12 15:27:33

LukeM
Website

MWstudios wrote:
mikelolsuperman wrote:
LukeM wrote:

Ninja'd again XD

I always use preview, but the new post was posted in the 30 seconds it took me to read the preview XD

#12 2018-12-13 00:04:12

den3107

LukeM wrote:

- In this case the "difficulty is the hardest component you need to beat" method would make sense, as you can't get to the end without beating the whole thing

You misunderstood me a bit there.
I didn't mean to make the whole campaign be marked as difficult as it's most difficult map, I was supporting the idea of actually having it be a range (so if there're medium and extreme levels, it'd be medium-extreme, instead of medium-hard).

#13 2018-12-13 02:34:49, last edited by Slabdrill (2018-12-13 02:36:45)

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

i'd actually increase the difficulty to hard; there's just enough "hard" rated worlds in the campaigns (i believe it's around 8 of them, plus 2 with a difficulty above that) that it deserves that difficulty hike

though regardless of if that goes through... unknown.png

suddenly random sig change

#14 2018-12-13 13:20:10, last edited by LukeM (2018-12-13 13:22:56)

LukeM
Website

I'd say medium to hard is a good representation of the sorts of worlds in the campaign

Also, Kirby mentioned to me that they were also considering space a 'hidden' extra campaign, as such it wasn't included in the overall difficulty (making it 6 medium, 7 medium-hard, and 5 hard), in which case it really should be medium-hard whatever system of rating it you use.

E-M - 3 - xxx
 M  - 6 - xxxxxx
M-H - 7 - xxxxxxx
 H  - 8 - xxxxx...
H-X - 1 - .
 X  - 1 - .

#15 2018-12-13 20:41:30

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

LukeM wrote:

Also, Kirby mentioned to me that they were also considering space a 'hidden' extra campaign, as such it wasn't included in the overall difficulty (making it 6 medium, 7 medium-hard, and 5 hard), in which case it really should be medium-hard whatever system of rating it you use.

ok but unknown.png

...which makes hard clearly the better difficulty

Wooted by:

#16 2018-12-13 20:46:44

LukeM
Website

Slabdrill wrote:
LukeM wrote:

ok but https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ … nknown.png

If you're using the 'no enjoyment until you finish the campaign' argument then maybe, but if you take it to be an average difficulty then, whether you include space or not, its medium-hard

#17 2018-12-13 23:43:29, last edited by azurepudding (2018-12-13 23:45:42)

azurepudding

LukeM wrote:
Slabdrill wrote:
LukeM wrote:

If you're using the 'no enjoyment until you finish the campaign' argument then maybe, but if you take it to be an average difficulty then, whether you include space or not, its medium-hard

I think he was making the "It says there are 5 campaigns" argument tho..

Also while there's fun in both the journey and the destination, the journey stops being so fun once you hit a brick wall.  Then it becomes all about the destination.  Said brick wall is the extreme section of this campaign pack, which wasn't listed in its difficulty setting, even though it's counted as 5 total as Slabdrill pointed out.  As of now, the Elemental campaign is the only Hard campaign that I have yet to beat, despite having beaten some Extreme worlds already.  I've beaten all other Hard ones, and some Extremes, but not this "Hard" one, because it's actually Extreme.

Medium-Extreme should do it I think.

Azure2.png

#18 2018-12-14 07:44:13

peace

i would make an eclusive tag easy-extreme and with a lil descrioption syaing difficutly vary's between...

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#19 2018-12-14 19:38:02

skullz17

So what's the issue with using a range? Just call it easy-extreme and you know what it takes to beat the campaign entirely, and you can assume that medium-hard is the average difficulty. Usually you can even check if this is the case by checking the difficulty of the individual worlds, but in this case the hub system makes this difficult, which is one of the reasons I don't really like the hub.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

Wooted by:

#20 2018-12-14 22:07:47, last edited by drunkbnu (2018-12-15 02:19:58)

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

various.png

EDIT: It doesn't look bad.

elemental.png

#21 2018-12-14 22:14:44

mikelolsuperman
Website

What's the bright blue one?

BhC68b8.png

Signature made by Nebula

#22 2018-12-15 02:21:50

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

mikelolsuperman wrote:

It's a placeholder color, added with the only purpose of filling all characters and preventing color repetition.

#23 2018-12-15 02:22:50

mikelolsuperman
Website

HG wrote:
mikelolsuperman wrote:

It's a placeholder color, added with the only purpose of filling all characters and preventing color repetition.

Ah ok.

BhC68b8.png

Signature made by Nebula

#24 2018-12-15 05:12:08

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

LukeM wrote:
Slabdrill wrote:
LukeM wrote:

Generally, from what I can tell, campaign difficulties in EE tend toward the harder end of the difficulties in the campaign. That might be wrong, but that's usually what it feels like.

#25 2018-12-15 06:14:05

Xenonetix
Past Owner
Website

The Elemental Campaign is primarily the 4 core Elemental Campaigns of Fire, Water, Wind, and Earth. All 4 of those campaigns are either "Medium" or "Medium-Hard", and that's what the difficulty represents.

The Space Campaign is an extra campaign unlocked for completing the Elemental Campaign Set of 4 Campaigns, and is, as such, separate from the other 4, but we can't consider the Elemental Campaign complete, because it breaks the system for reaching Space in the Campaign Hub.

Hope this clears some stuff up.

Xenonetix_2.png

Wooted by: (4)
MWstudios1544858535734931

Board footer