Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-10-21 09:58:47

Luka504

Re: Are you happy with the contest results?

Honestly I'd say that if you do not take the contestant's previous worlds into consideration you'd be creating an even bigger bias than if you do. If you ignore their previous worlds, then you risk having someone make good levels throughout the contest and still lose, while someone who made mostly bad worlds can somehow win the entire thing. Does that sound fair to you? According to your logic it most definitely is.

This is why the tournament system is flawed, it's too luck-based for it to be genuinely fair. Let's imagine 4 people. In terms of skill they rank 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. In a normal and fair contest those would be the places they get. In this tournament however, that doesn't have to be the case. If, by random chance, you pair the 1st and 4th person and the 2nd and 3rd, the 4th and 3rd get sent to the loser bracket against each other. The 4th person loses again and the 3rd moves on. Despite being the 4th best contestant, he got 49th place in the tournament. The odds of this specific scenario happening are very small, however it shouldn't even be possible if you want a truly fair contest.

Something similar happened to music man, however it was to his advantage. Instead of getting paired up against the best early on, he got paired up against the worst early on. If he was paired up against someone like Kira and Lictor and Kaleb or CK and Unau in the first rounds, he would have just straight up lost. He was lucky that that didn't happen to him and he was lucky that his biggest threats ended up giving up (CK and Unau) or losing to bad judging (Lictor and Kira and Kaleb). That is precisely the issue. Musicman won on luck.

Oh but Musicman isn't even the biggest issue regarding this contest's results. It's the fact that one of the rounds had a biased conclusion. This has been something I talked to Master1 privately about, but never got a good answer for my concerns. It's about the round Master1 failed to judge on time, Smitty vs. Azure. Master1 claims that he would've voted for Azure either way, thus making it irrelevant that he didn't vote on time, the results would've been the same.
But here's the problem. How do I know his vote was legit? If he told us that he actually liked Smitty's world more, it would cause a **** disaster and it would throw the entire contest under the bus. So to avoid that he claimed he prefers Azure's world. Of course it's very much possible that he does like Azure's world more, but as of right now there's no way to know for sure.
One round can change the results of the entire contest, thus as long as one round is faulty, the entire contest is too.

How long will it take me to get banned again?
Place your bets right here.

Wooted by:

#27 2018-10-21 14:44:43

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

Luka I honestly can't understand your viewpoint.

It seems like you're just arguing against the whole premise of a tournament. Don't you think it's a little late for that? Your logic that you should consider previous worlds when judging the current one is just stupid. If someone builds really good levels throughout the tournament that shouldn't mean they should win even if they submit a completely crap level against someone who has submitted decent levels throughout (that's not to say this is what happened in the final, just that this is what your logic roots for). Sure, it does seem unfair that someone could get through with bad levels but then wins with one final good level when the other team has had consistently good levels, but that's how tournaments work. But that's beside the point, because that isn't what happened at all. With 1 exception, I found all of Music Man's worlds in this contest to be very enjoyable and creative. Even the one level I didn't like was still creative, just a little too tedious for me to tolerate. I think it's an unfair criticism to try and say Music Man isn't a good builder because he really is. Sure, he's not the best in EE, but you seem to try and make out that he is utter crap. I find your criticisms of his worlds to be very nitpicky. You mainly point to a single mini per level as bad which shouldn't be a dealbreaker for a level. You also make art out as a bigger deal than it is. Unless a world is an eyesore, the art shouldn't matter. Not every world needs to be the best world you've ever seen. His worlds aren't easy to beat, and that's the point. But the important thing I find about most of the difficulty is that it is a learning process and that the more you play the easier it becomes. It's not just minis that are obvious how to complete but difficult to do so. His worlds are good. He earned his win.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#28 2018-10-21 15:25:07

2b55b5g
Formerly 2B55B5G TNG

Art is not the most important thing, gameplay and concept is. This is what I want to say.

I may have misunderstood that art is the key to win. But tbh I didn't really enjoy Musicman's last tournament world.

she/her

also known as DevilCharlotte

search 2bisniekitastan if you wanna find my worlds on ArchivEE

pfp: https://picrew.me/image_maker/1272810

#29 2018-10-21 17:32:19

azurepudding

Luka504 wrote:

One round can change the results of the entire contest, thus as long as one round is faulty, the entire contest is too.

can i just point out how you threw the competition, giving someone a free win, which is unfair to the rest of us?  wouldn't that make that round faulty as well?

Azure2.png

#30 2018-10-21 18:15:18

Luka504

I am arguing against the way this tournament is designed, however I do see how most of what I say can refer to the concept of tournaments as well. And yes, the tournament system is very flawed. If it has the potential to completely misrepresent how good its contestants are, then it's a bad system. Just because tournaments are "meant" to be like this doesn't mean jack rabbit. It's still bad.
It's still beyond unfair for a good builder to lose while a bad builder can potentially win the entire thing. That's why there needs to be something, anything that gives the advantage to people who are consistently good rather than one-hit-wonders. "It goes against the nature of tournaments" isn't a good enough argument to justify not doing that.

I still do not understand how one genuinely likes MusicMan's levels. Sure, his levels have interesting concepts, but cool gimmicks can only get you so far if you do not have good gameplay to back it up. And honestly, he doesn't. Most of his minigames land on the tedious/annoying side of the spectrum. I really did not have any fun playing through most of his levels. In 2 of his worlds one mistake forces you to restart the entire level from the beginning, and in one world, a mistake usually ends up costing you a lot of time. Saying that "it gets easier the more you play" is a bit of an understatement, since literally every world becomes easier the more you play it.

I also don't understand what you mean by saying that I focus on art way too much, since in those quick reviews I said stuff like "Art is ok" or "Art is bad, somewhat bland and empty". I clearly gave the bigger focus to the actual gameplay of the world.

#31 2018-10-22 09:08:01

azurepudding

azurepudding wrote:
Luka504 wrote:

can i just point out how you threw the competition, giving someone a free win, which is unfair to the rest of us?  wouldn't that make that round faulty as well?

but but what

BTW you even admitted to throwing the contest early on.  You just wanted to beat Pipec to eliminate him, which is a very crummy move BTW.  I had to encourage you to go along but you called quits anyway, giving someone a free win, thus creating a faulty round yourself..

Luka504 wrote:

I am arguing against the way this tournament is designed, however I do see how most of what I say can refer to the concept of tournaments as well. And yes, the tournament system is very flawed. If it has the potential to completely misrepresent how good its contestants are, then it's a bad system. Just because tournaments are "meant" to be like this doesn't mean jack rabbit. It's still bad.
It's still beyond unfair for a good builder to lose while a bad builder can potentially win the entire thing. That's why there needs to be something, anything that gives the advantage to people who are consistently good rather than one-hit-wonders. "It goes against the nature of tournaments" isn't a good enough argument to justify not doing that.

I still do not understand how one genuinely likes MusicMan's levels. Sure, his levels have interesting concepts, but cool gimmicks can only get you so far if you do not have good gameplay to back it up. And honestly, he doesn't. Most of his minigames land on the tedious/annoying side of the spectrum. I really did not have any fun playing through most of his levels. In 2 of his worlds one mistake forces you to restart the entire level from the beginning, and in one world, a mistake usually ends up costing you a lot of time. Saying that "it gets easier the more you play" is a bit of an understatement, since literally every world becomes easier the more you play it.

I also don't understand what you mean by saying that I focus on art way too much, since in those quick reviews I said stuff like "Art is ok" or "Art is bad, somewhat bland and empty". I clearly gave the bigger focus to the actual gameplay of the world.

If you can't understand why people like his levels.. well.. what about those "cool gimmicks"?  Those might be a reason.  What counts as good gameplay is largely subjective. 

I wasn't trying to excuse hard difficulty with "it being easier the next time," I was just meaning it's hard the first time.  Not unfairly hard, like End Quote's.  Replaying Music Man's world, it gets easier, but replaying End Quote's, it's just as unfairly difficult.  Flickering switches that shoulda been team effects, and the marathon minis you have to beat one bajillion times to continue.

Also lol, I can't tell you how many times you took a shot at my art.  To say you don't focus much on art seems like a complete untruth.  One comment that comes to mind is that my art "literally looks like someone trolled it," meanwhile I've received praise ranging mostly decent-good-great.  So it's just like, your opinion, man.  I guess.  But you do seem to focus on art a loooot.

Azure2.png

#32 2018-10-22 11:21:59

daneeko

Honestly, I couldn't really care less about the tournament because I only found out about it when it was too late to sign up, but honestly I prefer musicman's level over endquote's level. Both of them were pretty hard, but one was fun and one was outright unfair,

Musicman - Concept was a bit confusing, but got pretty fun after picking it up, though the blue coins were a  bit irritating. Art was pretty good on minimap and ingame, overall nice world
End Quote - I honestly couldn't even get to finishing either levels, but I ended up leaving when it got to the random minigames part. Not only do you have little to no time to react, for some reason you constantly have the poison effect? Not only that, it was just annoying that you had to perfectly hit singular switches, overall meh.

UzI5nBc.png

#33 2018-10-22 18:26:25

Luka504

Azurepudding wrote:

Paragraph 1

I don't get what you're trying to prove with this paragraph. Are you calling me a hypocrite in an attempt to discredit me? Are you calling me a bad person in an attempt to discredit me? Maybe you're trying both? If so, then I have to inform you that that changes nothing I've actually said.

Secondly, don't go around telling half-truths now. I never admitted to throwing the contest, I only said that I was considering leaving the contest because I wasn't having any fun and had other things I wanted to work on. I wanted to beat pipec because, y'know, he was my opponent in that round? If by "encourage" you mean "pestering me until I said yes", then you did a great job of encouraging me. Also I never called quits on the contest. I stayed a few more rounds after the one with pipec, and lost because I was too busy to finish my world, so my opponent won by default. These were all things you knew yet still chose to leave out the most relevant information to paint a bad picture of me.

Thirdly, even though you disagree with me on this one, Azure, you seem to be arguing that my stance about the tournament is correct. If you're going to argue that I created a faulty round by "giving someone a free win", then that's even more of an indication on how inaccurate the contest results are. If you want to prove that, go ahead. I won't stop you.

Azurepudding wrote:

Paragraphs 2, 3, and 4

Honestly, we can go back and forth forever with this "Is musicman good or not" issue. How about something you likely already agree with? The fact that Musicman isn't the best team in this tournament. But that raises an issue. If musicman isn't the best, why did he take first place? Obviously first place is reserved for the best team, so if you aren't the best you need other factors in order to get it. Namely, luck. As long as musicman isn't the best, it's proof that these contest results are inaccurate.

Is "you're a hypocrite" the best you could come up with? Yes, I've bashed your art in the past, but that doesn't change the fact that the short reviews I've posted in this topic don't focus much on art.

#34 2018-10-22 19:20:53

azurepudding

Luka504 wrote:
Azurepudding wrote:

Paragraph 1

I don't get what you're trying to prove with this paragraph. Are you calling me a hypocrite in an attempt to discredit me? Are you calling me a bad person in an attempt to discredit me? Maybe you're trying both? If so, then I have to inform you that that changes nothing I've actually said.

Secondly, don't go around telling half-truths now. I never admitted to throwing the contest, I only said that I was considering leaving the contest because I wasn't having any fun and had other things I wanted to work on. I wanted to beat pipec because, y'know, he was my opponent in that round? If by "encourage" you mean "pestering me until I said yes", then you did a great job of encouraging me. Also I never called quits on the contest. I stayed a few more rounds after the one with pipec, and lost because I was too busy to finish my world, so my opponent won by default. These were all things you knew yet still chose to leave out the most relevant information to paint a bad picture of me.

Thirdly, even though you disagree with me on this one, Azure, you seem to be arguing that my stance about the tournament is correct. If you're going to argue that I created a faulty round by "giving someone a free win", then that's even more of an indication on how inaccurate the contest results are. If you want to prove that, go ahead. I won't stop you.

Azurepudding wrote:

Paragraphs 2, 3, and 4

Honestly, we can go back and forth forever with this "Is musicman good or not" issue. How about something you likely already agree with? The fact that Musicman isn't the best team in this tournament. But that raises an issue. If musicman isn't the best, why did he take first place? Obviously first place is reserved for the best team, so if you aren't the best you need other factors in order to get it. Namely, luck. As long as musicman isn't the best, it's proof that these contest results are inaccurate.

Is "you're a hypocrite" the best you could come up with? Yes, I've bashed your art in the past, but that doesn't change the fact that the short reviews I've posted in this topic don't focus much on art.

I was pointing out by your standard, you yourself created a faulty round.  And nah, you didn't say you wanted to beat him cuz he was your opponent.  Your reason was you didn't want him to win, fully knowing you weren't going to put in the time to reach the end anyway.  You only wanted to beat him to take his chances away.  I do count that as "being bad," yes.  I was there, you told me.  Time wasn't the issue then, you just wanted to take his chance of winning away and solely that.  Maybe later on you fell short on time, but you knew what you were signing up for.  I only "pestered" you to continue because I didn't want Pipec's loss to be for nothing.  He wanted to win, he wanted to compete.  Why let the person who doesn't want to compete continue on?  That makes no sense.

The contest results are accurate as they're results in tournament form.  Musicman wins in tournament form, but in standard contest form?  Maybe, maybe not.  It's hard to tell, as with only one world to make, you can put much more effort into a world.  Less work, less building fatigue.  We already get that tournament form doesn't work for EE building and I think Kirby said this will be the last tournament.  So what are you arguing now?  That they should have picked End Quote's world?  But I thought you said Music Man's world was better this round?  What is it??

Azure2.png

#35 2018-10-22 19:37:08

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

If Luka and Azure debating was meant to be the result of the contest, then yes, I'm happy.

HG005-400px.png

#36 2018-10-22 19:57:00

Luka504

Even if you were pointing it out by my standard, you still pointed it out. You made the argument that I created a faulty round, whether you actually agree with it or don't doesn't matter. You made it.

And holy **** how dramatic can you be? No, I did not participate in that round solely to destroy pipec's chances of winning the tournament. Back then I was still uncertain whether or not I wanted to participate in the contest. As a precautionary measure, I stayed in that round until I've made up my mind on what I wanted to do, so that I avoid the situation of me bailing and then wishing I hadn't done that. And what do you mean by "you knew what you were signing up for"? I most certainly didn't. I believed the contest would be fun and fair, and it turned out to be neither. I also had no way to predict that I would be particularly busy during the round that I lost in.
You also seem to have ignored my question - Does this even relate to the topic at hand? You clearly believe so since you brought it up. Even if I was a bad person, that doesn't change the fact that this tournament's results are utter garbage.

And that's what I'm arguing about. The point of this topic is "Are you happy with the contest results", and I think I've precisely shown why I am not happy.

#37 2018-10-22 20:55:04, last edited by azurepudding (2018-10-22 20:57:57)

azurepudding

Luka504 wrote:

Even if you were pointing it out by my standard, you still pointed it out. You made the argument that I created a faulty round, whether you actually agree with it or don't doesn't matter. You made it.

And holy **** how dramatic can you be? No, I did not participate in that round solely to destroy pipec's chances of winning the tournament. Back then I was still uncertain whether or not I wanted to participate in the contest. As a precautionary measure, I stayed in that round until I've made up my mind on what I wanted to do, so that I avoid the situation of me bailing and then wishing I hadn't done that. And what do you mean by "you knew what you were signing up for"? I most certainly didn't. I believed the contest would be fun and fair, and it turned out to be neither. I also had no way to predict that I would be particularly busy during the round that I lost in.
You also seem to have ignored my question - Does this even relate to the topic at hand? You clearly believe so since you brought it up. Even if I was a bad person, that doesn't change the fact that this tournament's results are utter garbage.

And that's what I'm arguing about. The point of this topic is "Are you happy with the contest results", and I think I've precisely shown why I am not happy.

..What? I was pointing out the irony.  Attacking the contest for the potential of faulty rounds, yet faulting a round yourself.  How is that on me?? No, that was all you.  So what if I brought it up?  I brought it up because you were claiming faultiness elsewhere, so why not mention your own faultiness as well?  You don't see the irony of you blaming the contest for being faulty when you yourself were part of the faultiness??

Now you're just lying- you had something against Pipec and wanted to at least beat him before calling quits, even saying you wanted to take his chances away.  It's part of why I unfriended you.  You did it, and now are pretending you didn't to save face.  This is not me being dramatic, it's calling you out for the thing you did.  Take responsibility and own up for it.

What made it unfun and unfair?  If by the very nature of tournaments being unfair, you should have known this the moment you knew it was a tournament.

You seem to be more arguing how tournaments are naturally unfair than actually voicing disapproval of the results.  Because according to tournament rules, Music Man winning?  Was completely fair, by tournament standards.  You can't really be upset with results that were inevitably set to be unfair.  So we get it, you don't like the tournament structure, nor do I, so hate the tournament structure and not the results.  You're just diminishing Music Man's hard-earned win and that's pretty lame.

Azure2.png

Wooted by:

#38 2018-10-22 21:55:11

Luka504

Again, irony/hypocrisy isn't an argument, so stop using it. Regardless of the reason you brought it up, you still did it. You brought up the point that I made a faulty round, and that point further shows how garbage this entire thing is.

I most definitely did not say that. I'm not taking up responsibility for something I haven't said.
You still haven't answered my question, so I'm just going to assume the answer is no, this entire "you're a bad person" thing has nothing to do with the current issue at hand.

Azurepudding wrote:

You can't really be upset with results that were inevitably set to be unfair.

Yes I can. I've been doing that this entire time. Just because something is "meant" to be unfair this doesn't mean ****. It's still unfair.

#39 2018-10-22 22:49:57

azurepudding

Luka504 wrote:

Again, irony/hypocrisy isn't an argument, so stop using it. Regardless of the reason you brought it up, you still did it. You brought up the point that I made a faulty round, and that point further shows how garbage this entire thing is.

I most definitely did not say that. I'm not taking up responsibility for something I haven't said.
You still haven't answered my question, so I'm just going to assume the answer is no, this entire "you're a bad person" thing has nothing to do with the current issue at hand.

Azurepudding wrote:

You can't really be upset with results that were inevitably set to be unfair.

Yes I can. I've been doing that this entire time. Just because something is "meant" to be unfair this doesn't mean ****. It's still unfair.

but I did answer it and this post can be summed up as:

"but still

and but still"

Azure2.png

#40 2018-10-22 23:08:31

bunglybongle

there was a contest?

Wooted by:

#41 2018-10-22 23:48:48

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

Arizona0117 wrote:

there was a contest?

There was indeed my dear stoned looking guy.

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

#42 2018-10-22 23:55:04

bunglybongle

NorwegianboyEE wrote:
Arizona0117 wrote:

there was a contest?

wow what happened to your anime pfp i'm mildly infuriated

#43 2018-10-23 00:18:34

Minimania
Moderation Team

Arizona0117 wrote:
NorwegianboyEE wrote:
Arizona0117 wrote:

there was a contest?

ohzrd5t.jpg
This is you, my guy

I'm kind of satisfied with the contest results, kind of

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

Wooted by: (4)

#44 2018-10-23 15:05:12

daneeko

Arizona0117 wrote:
NorwegianboyEE wrote:
Arizona0117 wrote:

there was a contest?

you should be mildly relieved what are you even talking about

UzI5nBc.png

#45 2018-10-23 16:45:40

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

Arizona0117 wrote:

Oh yeah i just remembered i had to switch that out. The Norwegian flag was just a placeholder.
Thanks for reminding me.

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

#46 2018-10-24 04:13:30

Joeyc

no, i'm actually very unhappy with the results, in fact this entire tournament. when i saw you can get knocked out first round i thought immediately this was poor design.

i'm just disappointed you gave the losers bracket less effort with a bunch of the medium worlds. as well as let others get knocked off whom may have had the potential to create a good level on the first or second round...

#47 2018-10-24 04:23:22

azurepudding

Joeyc wrote:

no, i'm actually very unhappy with the results, in fact this entire tournament. when i saw you can get knocked out first round i thought immediately this was poor design.

i'm just disappointed you gave the losers bracket less effort with a bunch of the medium worlds. as well as let others get knocked off whom may have had the potential to create a good level on the first or second round...

But losing first round doesn't drop you out of the contest.

Also I think the loser bracket was mainly mediums because there were more rounds to complete.  Not only did you have to compete similarly like in the winners bracket, but every other round you also had to face off against the most recent loser from the winners bracket.

Azure2.png

#48 2018-10-24 04:28:46

Joeyc

azurepudding wrote:

Also I think the loser bracket was mainly mediums because there were more rounds to complete.

GIVE US SOME VARIETY AT LEAST

Wooted by:

#49 2018-10-24 04:45:15

azurepudding

Joeyc wrote:
azurepudding wrote:

Also I think the loser bracket was mainly mediums because there were more rounds to complete.

The themes?

Azure2.png

#50 2018-10-24 04:46:19, last edited by Joeyc (2018-10-24 04:47:08)

Joeyc

idk what do you think

azurepudding wrote:
Joeyc wrote:
azurepudding wrote:

The themes?

Wooted by:
Schlog1540353197729054

Board footer