Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-15 19:09:49

Andymakeer

Waypoint & Navigator

So, i was thinking, why the current Checkpoints are so... limited...
Its easy to understand the idea of "restart to the last cp you hit", but i feel that the way it is right now makes it so hard to build complex spawn saving system, where you have to build towers and towers of switches to send the player to the portal you want.

My idea is to keep the current Checkpoint system, where you respawn upon dying, but also add a more malleable option:

Waypoints

Waypoints act similar to Checkpoints, but they also have an ID.
When you hit a Waypoint, it sets it ON and turns OFF only the others Waypoints with the same ID.

~Waypoint OFF
XK4LieE.png
~Waypoint on
sXmfGaa.png

Navigator

Navigator is similar to a Portal, but it has only one parameter, Target ID.
When you hit it, it clears your momentum (as of respawning with Checkpoint) and sends you to the last Waypoint you hit with the Target ID

~Active Navigator
giphy.gif
~Deactive Navigator, occurs if there is no Waypoint ON with the Target ID
WkXpfe9.png
Note: Similar to Portals, Navigator does not need to show the Target ID number.

This would make it easier to create multiple tracks, like life systems, random events, inventory, multiple spawns, etc...
//forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

F

#2 2018-09-15 19:36:12

azurepudding

Re: Waypoint & Navigator

Isn't this kind of the same as a world portal spawn? with a checkpoint placed under or nearby.

Azure2.png

#3 2018-09-15 19:56:55

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

azurepudding wrote:

Isn't this kind of the same as a world portal spawn? with a checkpoint placed under or nearby.

how is it similar to world portal spawns at all? this is similar to checkpoints and spikes (but with ID) - something I've suggested before.

suddenly random sig change

#4 2018-09-15 20:11:48

azurepudding

Slabdrill wrote:
azurepudding wrote:

how is it similar to world portal spawns at all? this is similar to checkpoints and spikes (but with ID) - something I've suggested before.

Replace navigator with world portal and waypoint with world portal spawn with checkpoint.

Azure2.png

#5 2018-09-15 20:43:09, last edited by Slabdrill (2018-09-15 21:59:06)

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

azurepudding wrote:
Slabdrill wrote:
azurepudding wrote:

Replace navigator with world portal and waypoint with world portal spawn with checkpoint.

world portals reset everything, so you can't really use a world portal for anything useful.

edit: except acting as a compact complete resetter

#6 2018-09-15 20:45:28, last edited by azurepudding (2018-09-15 20:45:41)

azurepudding

Slabdrill wrote:
azurepudding wrote:
Slabdrill wrote:
azurepudding wrote:

world portals reset everything, so you can't really use a world portal for anything useful.

Risk and Rewards and Limited Lives rounds disagree //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Azure2.png

#7 2018-09-15 21:59:17

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

azurepudding wrote:

Risk and Rewards and Limited Lives rounds disagree //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

edited my post //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

#8 2018-09-15 22:28:55

peace

Andymakeer wrote:

So, i was thinking, why the current Checkpoints are so... limited...
Its easy to understand the idea of "restart to the last cp you hit", but i feel that the way it is right now makes it so hard to build complex spawn saving system, where you have to build towers and towers of switches to send the player to the portal you want.

My idea is to keep the current Checkpoint system, where you respawn upon dying, but also add a more malleable option:

Waypoints

Waypoints act similar to Checkpoints, but they also have an ID.
When you hit a Waypoint, it sets it ON and turns OFF only the others Waypoints with the same ID.

~Waypoint OFF
https://i.imgur.com/XK4LieE.png
~Waypoint on
https://i.imgur.com/sXmfGaa.png

Navigator

Navigator is similar to a Portal, but it has only one parameter, Target ID.
When you hit it, it clears your momentum (as of respawning with Checkpoint) and sends you to the last Waypoint you hit with the Target ID

~Active Navigator
https://media.giphy.com/media/cJagAZwhx … /giphy.gif
~Deactive Navigator, occurs if there is no Waypoint ON with the Target ID
https://i.imgur.com/WkXpfe9.png
Note: Similar to Portals, Navigator does not need to show the Target ID number.

This would make it easier to create multiple tracks, like life systems, random events, inventory, multiple spawns, etc... //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

so you are suggetsing a new st of hazrads and checkpoints so you cna use the actual ones for a lifes system... do you get a detah?

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#9 2018-09-16 04:36:20, last edited by Andymakeer (2018-09-16 04:43:05)

Andymakeer

azurepudding wrote:

Erm... No?

The idea is to create multiple tracks of what values need to be changed, without interfering other tracks.

World Portals stuff just reset everything and makes it so you have to build HUGE switch towers to redo stuff (also waiting the loading screen is sick)

peace wrote:

so you are suggetsing a new st of hazrads and checkpoints so you cna use the actual ones for a lifes system... do you get a detah?

nope, no death count

the player can build tho so the Waypoint sends you to a hazard, but thats would be not obligatory

F

#10 2018-09-16 05:24:07, last edited by azurepudding (2018-09-16 05:24:35)

azurepudding

Andymakeer wrote:
azurepudding wrote:

Erm... No?

The idea is to create multiple tracks of what values need to be changed, without interfering other tracks.

World Portals stuff just reset everything and makes it so you have to build HUGE switch towers to redo stuff (also waiting the loading screen is sick)

I guess I'm confused then.. if it's not that.. then how is this different than normal portals?  Besides it not remembering momentum.

Azure2.png

#11 2018-09-16 06:06:53

ILikeTofuuJoe
Website

you'll also need waypoint switch to prevent things completely go wrong

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat ~meow~ https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat
Posting Goal: 2000
#Joe Griffin
Signature
Thanks HG for the signature and avatar!!!

#12 2018-09-16 06:40:44

Anatoly

Can you disable way points of a specific Id?

#13 2018-09-16 09:33:26

MWstudios

If I die and several waypoints are turned on, where do I spawn?

Time before becoming a Member - Leaderboard
1. Whirl - 9 months
2. KirbyKareem - 8 months
3. pwnzor - 2.4 months
4. MWstudios - 2 months
5. ILikeTofuuJoe - 1.5 months
giphy.gif Piskel is the best GIF maker I've seen
HG's signature for me - Anatoly's signature for me
The Mashed Potatoes Song - The longest post on EE forums - Play my Minesweeper

#14 2018-09-16 12:12:42

Trytu

MWstudios wrote:

If I die and several waypoints are turned on, where do I spawn?

to the checkpoint or to the spawnpoint, because only navigators can teleport you to waypoint

btw i think it's not necessary to remove all momentum,
i think it should work same as portal, because it's easy to remove all momentum with some exploints like boost and wall

4puJMaQ.png
Thanks to Nikko99 for signature
https: //media.discordapp.net/attachments/402174325349941249/482121641745186816/KHiX2DEFewAAAABJRU5ErkJggg.png
https: //i.imgur.com/YFtzyXA.png

#15 2018-09-16 14:58:40

ILikeTofuuJoe
Website

momentum is at times, very annoying. Like sometimes portals break with too much momentum.

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat ~meow~ https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat
#Joe Griffin
Signature

#16 2018-09-16 15:35:46

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

azurepudding wrote:
Andymakeer wrote:
azurepudding wrote:

Erm... No?

I guess I'm confused then.. if it's not that.. then how is this different than normal portals?  Besides it not remembering momentum.

note the EXACT WORDING on the suggestion. Waypoints are checkpoints, navigators are spikes.
The difference is that you can set an ID, for 1001 different respawn points. This is extremely useful for making complex systems as it means you don't need to do something like setting a switch to send you back to the part of the system you should be in after entering a common system, while being able to use different navigators in different spots for different purposes.

Wooted by:

#17 2018-09-16 15:46:00

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

oh hey i just found an old suggestion of mine https://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewt … p?id=37541

Wooted by:

#18 2018-09-16 16:08:22

Trytu

ILikeTofuuJoe wrote:

momentum is at times, very annoying. Like sometimes portals break with too much momentum.

because you don't use momentum tricks, like half blocks after portals, or free space after portals, or boosts before walls

4puJMaQ.png
https: //media.discordapp.net/attachments/402174325349941249/482121641745186816/KHiX2DEFewAAAABJRU5ErkJggg.png

#19 2018-09-16 16:13:30

ILikeTofuuJoe
Website

Trytu wrote:
ILikeTofuuJoe wrote:

because you don't use momentum tricks, like half blocks after portals, or free space after portals, or boosts before walls

im serious I go speeding and go on the side then the portal just breaks

#Joe Griffin
Signature

#20 2018-09-16 16:23:11

Trytu

qZh45wW.png
i guess you used variation on the top left side, and i know it stops momentum in some point

i prefer rest variations
they haven't any chance to loss momentum, them work even with boosts, and it's that trick that i said

4puJMaQ.png

#21 2018-09-16 22:27:44

azurepudding

Slabdrill wrote:
azurepudding wrote:
Andymakeer wrote:
azurepudding wrote:

Erm... No?

note the EXACT WORDING on the suggestion. Waypoints are checkpoints, navigators are spikes.
The difference is that you can set an ID, for 1001 different respawn points. This is extremely useful for making complex systems as it means you don't need to do something like setting a switch to send you back to the part of the system you should be in after entering a common system, while being able to use different navigators in different spots for different purposes.

Well.. again, how is that different than a portal linking to another?  If a navigator of ID 10 sends you back to a waypoint of ID 10, how's that different from a portal of ID 10 linking to portal of ID 11?  Other than I guess saving one ID number.

Azure2.png

#22 2018-09-16 22:56:08

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

azurepudding wrote:
Slabdrill wrote:
azurepudding wrote:
Andymakeer wrote:
azurepudding wrote:

Erm... No?

Well.. again, how is that different than a portal linking to another?  If a navigator of ID 10 sends you back to a waypoint of ID 10, how's that different from a portal of ID 10 linking to portal of ID 11?  Other than I guess saving one ID number.

you can have more than one waypoint of the same ID. Note that they don't have the randomness of portals when they have the same ID. Now reread the post again.

read this after

Wooted by:

#23 2018-09-17 04:05:38

Andymakeer

azurepudding wrote:

Have you ever built an location saving system?

The easiest way to build that is using a CP, so when finish the system, you just kill the player and it goes back to the starting location.

The idea of Waypoints is to create various options for this, without having the need to set a single switch for every location you want to go back.

F

Andymakeer1537153538724900

Board footer