Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-01 04:08:32, last edited by ByteArray (2018-07-01 20:59:21)

ByteArray

You can support faster development of EE and the Reboot!

EDIT: Alright, mind if I word this a little better?

Original Post

Hey guys!

Some of you might be aware that I'm currently using a fairly old laptop that often comes to a crawl when working on EE (the server in particular). You may also be aware that I recently released a puzzle-platformer web game called "Rotate". And since it's on Kongregate, it's eligible for their monthly contest! They offer cash prizes of up to $1750, so if Rotate does well enough I could afford to build a decent computer that could keep up with the work I need to get done. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

The placings in the contest seem to be based at least somewhat on the rating, and Rotate currently has 3.85 out of 5 stars. I'd really appreciate it if you could at least check the game out, and if you like it maybe you could leave a good rating! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile It seems we have until midnight on July 3rd.

I'll put any money I win into building that new computer system, because it would be a huge boost to productivity on the current EE as well as the reboot! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Thanks!
- byte[]

former lead-dev on EE/EEU, 2018—2020
(aka Criobite, Joshua Stone, TechnoWolf99, & LightWolf)

#2 2018-07-01 04:37:31

SirJosh3917
Formerly ninjasupeatsninja

Re: You can support faster development of EE and the Reboot!

i thought you were open sourcing the rEEboot

#3 2018-07-01 04:57:24, last edited by Joeyc (2018-07-01 05:27:37)

Joeyc

when you already gave it a 5 star before the post

Hidden text

edit it's at 3.83 now gg

Wooted by:

#4 2018-07-01 05:13:58, last edited by AlphaJon (2018-07-01 05:16:06)

AlphaJon

Your thread title is misleading, and this isn't what I expected at all when opening it. By the title alone, one would think that you are looking for help from additional developers, either by open-sourcing the game or otherwise recruiting a number of volunteers.
I'll be honest, as much as I want to support the game, I don't feel that asking for a 5-star rating on an unrelated game is the right way to do it. I have actually rated the game 5 stars on Kongregate prior to your post, but I did so because I considered the game as worth the 5 stars*, not because you wanted us to rate it 5 stars.

*I did write 4/5 in the other topic about the game, but I am easy-going with Kongregate ratings, and usually rate 5/5 games I really like even if they aren't perfect.

Edit: I don't know if that counts as vote manipulation, but if it does, I'd be careful, as Kongregate could cancel your reward if they feel like the rating was manipulated.

#5 2018-07-01 07:10:14

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

Did you by chance take inspiration from the "Shift" flash games when making Rotate?

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

#6 2018-07-01 07:37:35

Mait

Done, willing to help as much as i can. Hope you get the money needed //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Mait.jpg
Let's get to 5000.

#7 2018-07-01 09:50:43

peace

nice i wil check my kong in a few mins to see if i already gave a rating or not and chnage it to 5

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#8 2018-07-01 09:52:44

LukeM
Website

Isn't asking for ratings against the rules for the competition? //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Anyway I'd already rated 5 stars before this //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

#9 2018-07-01 10:07:51, last edited by peace (2018-07-01 10:09:14)

peace

LukeM wrote:

Isn't asking for ratings against the rules for the competition? //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Anyway I'd already rated 5 stars before this //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

lukem i think it isnt if you do it outaside kong on a forum noone form kong will read unless they play ee xD and so what kong haas much games all wiht their own comments some with their own chat others with only a general chat in you own language (or you choose another languaga //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile ) then some of th egames also have its own forum on kong

EDIT: (this is somethign outside the quote btut i dont wanna double post so...) i think we should favrorite his game too for the time being an or maby also put in playlist

peace.png

#10 2018-07-01 10:08:12, last edited by mutantdevle (2018-07-01 10:11:10)

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

I too rated 5 upon completing the game on the day it came out.

Upon other’s concerns, might I suggest you change the title to “You can help support me developing EE and the Reboot!”.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

Wooted by: (2)

#11 2018-07-01 10:55:58

Zumza

The title is misleading. I don't believe you're going to use that laptop only for the interests of EE. Promoting personal favours for only being part of the staff is not something I endorse.
Don't understand me wrong, I'm not against you from crowdfounding, but I'd be more careful with the wording, as it may be understood wrong. I rate it 5 stars, but next time please leave EE out of this.

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

#12 2018-07-01 11:05:29

MartenM
Website

First impression of the the topic only by title: Hmm, that looks interesting.
After reading the first 2 paragraph: So he is asking for money?
After reading the rest: Ah, like that...

lm3hgg8.jpg

Ingame: marten22        My steam: MartenM

#13 2018-07-01 11:58:38

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Perhaps this is a test to gauge the moral integrity of the playerbase, in order to find those worthy enough to try the closed alpha.

In which case, and regardless, never!

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

#14 2018-07-01 11:59:15

Latif

Rated 5 stars and made a level

Code

Wooted by:

#15 2018-07-01 12:18:44

Loganyoshi

Rated 5 stars.

I'm happy that we can help! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Wooted by:

#16 2018-07-01 12:55:32

peace

5 stars are in better lsptop=better ee? okay you need to win that money //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

peace.png

#17 2018-07-01 13:03:09

Raphe9000

AlphaJon wrote:

Your thread title is misleading, and this isn't what I expected at all when opening it. By the title alone, one would think that you are looking for help from additional developers, either by open-sourcing the game or otherwise recruiting a number of volunteers.
I'll be honest, as much as I want to support the game, I don't feel that asking for a 5-star rating on an unrelated game is the right way to do it. I have actually rated the game 5 stars on Kongregate prior to your post, but I did so because I considered the game as worth the 5 stars*, not because you wanted us to rate it 5 stars.

I don't believe it's misleading. The title is not, "You can develop the reboot with me," and it's not even, "You can help me", or, "us with the reboot!"
We can help him by supporting him buying a new laptop. And, I'd expect, without maliciousness, a plea for donations, even if through the game. It is just a way we can try to help him have a better chance of succeeding in the contest without detriment to us.

AlphaJon wrote:

Edit: I don't know if that counts as vote manipulation, but if it does, I'd be careful, as Kongregate could cancel your reward if they feel like the rating was manipulated.

That I am concerned about. In fact, it's the only reason I didn't create tons of accounts to 5-star the game.

Wooted by: (3)

#18 2018-07-01 13:40:39

ByteArray

I apologize for any confusion the title caused; I probably didn't think it through well enough. I've changed it to better describe the contents of the post.

And I appreciate the help from all of you, looks like we're up to a 3.85 so far! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

As for whether or not asking for help goes against the rules, I can't seem to find anything against it. I would expect that every contestant would be asking their friends or family for help to some degree. Now I'd imagine creating alts to rate the game is probably against the rules of the entire site in general. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

NorwegianboyEE wrote:

Did you by chance take inspiration from the "Shift" flash games when making Rotate?

Yeah, I played those games growing up, and they were some of my favorite games.

former lead-dev on EE/EEU, 2018—2020
(aka Criobite, Joshua Stone, TechnoWolf99, & LightWolf)

Wooted by: (4)

#19 2018-07-01 14:09:48

hummerz5

Raphe9000 wrote:

I don't believe it's misleading. The title is not, "You can develop the reboot with me," and it's not even, "You can help me", or, "us with the reboot!"

the OP was edited before you got here it looks like. So just FYI, you're not commenting on the same title

#20 2018-07-01 14:29:12

Koto

That looks like N.

#21 2018-07-01 14:29:57

Raphe9000

hummerz5 wrote:

the OP was edited before you got here it looks like. So just FYI, you're not commenting on the same title

Well, I do know it was different than it is now. I think it was "You can help me develop the reboot!" which implies helping ByteArray do something better or faster, though it could be misunderstood by people with previous biases. If it was different from that, my bad.

Wooted by:

#22 2018-07-01 15:22:21

Luka504

Tbh, I would advise people to not rate this game just because ByteArray asked you to. Now don't get me wrong here, if you genuinely loved the game and believe it was a stellar experience, then feel free to rate it 5 stars. But please don't rate this game 5 stars if you believe it doesn't deserve it. Like me.
This is a 3 star game imo. And that's exactly what I'm going to give it.

Frankly this kinda feels like you're just using your playerbase to get money you didn't deserve by telling them that it's going to ''speed up the game development''. Make a better game next time and try again. Don't beg for money.

Pls no ban

How long will it take me to get banned again?
Place your bets right here.

#23 2018-07-01 15:37:39

Xenonetix
Past Owner
Website

Luka504 wrote:

Tbh, I would advise people to not rate this game just because ByteArray asked you to. Now don't get me wrong here, if you genuinely loved the game and believe it was a stellar experience, then feel free to rate it 5 stars. But please don't rate this game 5 stars if you believe it doesn't deserve it. Like me.
This is a 3 star game imo. And that's exactly what I'm going to give it.

You'd be free to change your rating after July 3rd.

Luka504 wrote:

Don't beg for money.

I apologise if anything I say here comes across as rude, but this is a frustrating statement, because that's literally the opposite of what ByteArray is doing. He's asking politely for free support that costs you nothing, and not asking you to give any money.

Millions of people do that every single day. Any time you click on an advertisement, you're supporting the game being advertised, and the site it's being advertised on. If you consider advertising as "begging for money", then why are you present on the internet at all? //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/neutral

Even when people aren't advertising, they specifically ask for your reviews on podcasts, or to "Hit that like button" on videos, and "Subscribe". I really don't see the difference here, except that Josh isn't even asking you to play his game, but just to help him win some money to help him out. In winning that money, that indirectly helps the development of Everybody Edits because he can upgrade his computer to be faster and more efficient.

Luka504 wrote:

you're just using your playerbase to get money you didn't deserve

Everybody Edits does not currently make anywhere near enough money to support the staff working on it, so you know as well as I do that Josh absolutely DOES deserve the money, and he's doing what he can to get it. For everything he's done so far, he deserves so much more than the minimum he can win on Kongregate, and if he wins nothing, working on the game will continue to be harder for everyone involved.

Xenonetix_2.png

#24 2018-07-01 16:04:28

Raphe9000

Xenonetix wrote:
Luka50[quote=Xenonetix wrote:

Everybody Edits does not currently make anywhere near enough money to support the staff working on it, so you know as well as I do that Josh absolutely DOES deserve the money, and he's doing what he can to get it. For everything he's done so far, he deserves so much more than the minimum he can win on Kongregate, and if he wins nothing, working on the game will continue to be harder for everyone involved.

It has always irked me that the game can't support the people involved (decreasing ability to work on the game), and it is one reason why I support increased monetization of some of the game's aspects.

A fair argument is too that him spending his own money on the computer solely to help develop the game would put him at a significant loss beyond the game's many inconveniences. Even if it is mainly for his benefit, it is undoubtedly true that it would help us too.

In my honest opinion, I think everyone who is part of staff deserves something for their efforts, monetary or not, from the community. Hell, I mostly see hate from players instead of much support.

I also have further advice to anyone who wants to support ByteArray's game:

I don't know if Kongregate has any way to recognize 'faulty' votes (votes from people who haven't played the game for long enough), so it would be a good idea to play the game through a bit before rating it. For me, Kongregate thought I was a bot when I tried to create an account to rate it.

Wooted by: (5)

#25 2018-07-01 16:13:49

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

ByteArray wrote:
NorwegianboyEE wrote:

Yeah, I played those games growing up, and they were some of my favorite games.

I knew it! That gif really gave me that impression. I feel like such a flash game connoiseur!(^∇^)
Ahhh... nostalgia of sitting on my macintosh wasting hours on armorgames...

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

peace1530971736713298

Board footer