Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-24 13:57:07

Emma333

What phone do you have?

Hi hi hi,

I am looking for a new phone, and I'm still figuring out kind of what I should buy. So I want to learn from your experience.

I've had an iphone 6 for 4 years now, and it's starting to have some problems. Instead of fixing these problems I just want to buy a new phone because I think 4 years is a pretty long time to have a phone.
Having a phone for a long time is very nice imo, because you just dont have to worry about getting a new one for a long time. And you also don't have to worry about keeping it clean and nice in case you want to resell it. So I'm looking for a phone that will work perfectly fine for about 4 years.
Now I know the people here aren't very fond of apple, but I have had many friends with android phones that would start to break very soon. For example the battery life declines very early (my 4 year old iphone still has a better battery than many samsung phones). My experience with apple is way better(ofcourse it's not perfect, but Ive only heard of 1 bad experience), which is why I would prefer it.

A few things a phone needs for me:

- shouldnt crash often
- at least 100 GB
- a good camera
- operating system updates should be available for at least 4 years
I dont need the headphone jack thing because I only use bluetooth

Now I would like to hear your experience,
what phone do you have?
Did you buy it when it just came out or later?
How long have you had it?
How long do you expect to have it?
What are your requirements for a good phone?

Im probably going to buy an iphone 8 in september, after a new phone is released (because then the price will drop). But maybe you can change my mind.

Pm me with anything math related please

#2 2018-06-24 13:59:45

MWstudios

Re: What phone do you have?

Do you expect us to sell you our phone?

Time before becoming a Member - Leaderboard
1. Whirl - 9 months
2. KirbyKareem - 8 months
3. pwnzor - 2.4 months
4. MWstudios - 2 months
5. ILikeTofuuJoe - 1.5 months
giphy.gif Piskel is the best GIF maker I've seen
HG's signature for me - Anatoly's signature for me
The Mashed Potatoes Song - The longest post on EE forums - Play my Minesweeper

#3 2018-06-24 14:04:47, last edited by Nebula (2018-06-24 14:05:16)

Nebula

1. Xiaomi Redmi Note 5+
2. later
3. from this month
4. never
5. idk

#4 2018-06-24 14:09:14

Vitalijus
Website

Instead of telling you what phone I own I'll tell you what brand does your requirements.

Samsung - shouldnt crash often
This depends on the model and max expandable space, but most modern phones can go up to this - at least 100 GB
Most new phones, but what I've heard Huawei P20 has a very good camera - a good camera
iPhone only - operating system updates should be available for at least 4 years

wn7I7Oa.png

#5 2018-06-24 14:25:55

Kirby

Emma333 wrote:

what phone do you have?

1) samsung galaxy s9
2) about 3/4 months after it was released
3) like a month
4) i had my old phone for around 4 years (iPhone 5), so around there, maybe more
5) decent battery, otherwise as long as it does basic smartphone things

my old phone was garbage and i had to replace its battery 3 times. this phone's battery is miles better than the batteries for the old phone, even the day after i got them. took a bit of time getting used to android but it was def worth it

#6 2018-06-24 14:38:00, last edited by Zumza (2018-06-24 14:51:19)

Zumza

Firstly, I don't consider myself as a dependent phone user and I'm as good with a good ol'Nokia(which I actually used til 2015).

When I bought a smartphone I thought on what features I'm going to use.
So, my requirements for a good smartphone consists in having a good-sized screen with a good resolution for reading and watching videos but at the same time fit in my pockets, NFC to use my bank's app for payments (which is extremely convenient), a good speaker, a GPS for when I'm traveling in a different city, a camera for readable photos of course materials, and a good battery.

I'm currently owning a Samsung J7 2017 and I'm very satisfied, it has everything I need. The only problem I noticed is with the camera, which lacks a good stabiliser, so you have to be steady when making a photo. The battery is very decent, it lasts me over a week but it also takes quite some time to fully charge it. It has a 5.5 inch display, NFC, GPS, a good speaker and an extra gyroscope which I only used once on a VR(which I have to say it's overrated).
Edit: It has a fingerprint reader too. And you can insert a memory card up to 256GB.

I got it after 3 to 4 moths after release I believe at ~$300, and I'm planning to replace only if it breaks.

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

Wooted by:

#7 2018-06-24 15:27:24

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

what phone do you have? iPhone 5s.
Did you buy it when it just came out or later? Much later.
How long have you had it? About 2 years I think.
How long do you expect to have it? Either until it breaks or my sister wants a new phone so I might also get a new one when my dad buys hers.
What are your requirements for a good phone? Internet and app store access. Touchscreen. Good audio and camera quality. Aka any modern smartphone.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#8 2018-06-24 15:32:32, last edited by Norwee (2018-06-24 15:32:44)

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

what phone do you have?
- Iphone SE

- A little bit later, i chose it instead of the new Iphone 6

- About 1 + 1/4 year.

- As long as it's not broken and does it's job well i don't expect i'll ever throw it away. Of course it will probably break or get too outdated eventually, but right now i'm very satisfied with it.

- Be able to play music, surf on the internet, calling obviously... >_>
I like iphones because they are easy to learn and now that i've used them for a while it's quite easy to pick it back up when buying a new smartphone. I don't care what Android users say, it could be better in many ways, i just don't have time to learn an new operating system.

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

#9 2018-06-24 15:56:47

hummerz5

I love these questions!

Emma333 wrote:

what phone do you have?

1. LG Extravert

2. Much later
3. Three years
4. Until I break it (last one I had for about four years, so)
5. It should make calls and texts. Though, a smarter phone would be nice... I run into the processing speed problem. It has a one-track mind

Sadly, this phone falls short of your 100GB expectations, boasting a 512 MB onboard memory. However, you can expand with micro SD cards. The camera is OK. Never crashes! OS updates ... not sure they exist

#10 2018-06-24 16:28:33, last edited by LukeM (2018-06-24 16:29:45)

LukeM
Website

Emma333 wrote:

What phone do you have?

I'm still using an iPhone 4S
I've had it quite a few years now, not completely sure how many but I think I got it somewhere between when the iPhones 5 and 6 came out, so I got it a couple of years after it came out, about 5 years ago.
I'm probably going to get a new phone fairly soon, as this one is starting to get noticably slow on some websites, and is no longer supported by a lot of apps.
Pretty much all phones do everything I need them to, so the main thing for me is that it lasts a long time. I was considering getting an android phone, but they are usually given updates for two years or less, and I don't want to buy the latest most expensive phone so this probably means I would only have a year or so of updates... iPhones however are supported for four or more years, so even if I get a year old phone it would still get updates for three years, which is much better than the one year of android phones, so I'm thinking I might just stick with an iPhone.

Wooted by:

#11 2018-06-24 16:29:20

Raphe9000

I still use a flip phone.

#12 2018-06-24 22:41:18

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

There’s not a whole lot of difference between the iPhone 7 and 8 - or at least perhaps not enough difference to justify the extra spending.

I have a 6s atm and it’s great. If you’ve got the cash for the iLoaded ballpark and are used to iOS anyway, then the 7 or 8 should meet your criteria. Idk if the 6s will get updates for 4 more years.

Regardless, your experiences with Apple and Android are entirely anecdotal and you shouldn’t use them to generalise like that.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

#13 2018-06-25 11:55:50

Emma333

Tomahawk wrote:

There’s not a whole lot of difference between the iPhone 7 and 8 - or at least perhaps not enough difference to justify the extra spending.

I have a 6s atm and it’s great. If you’ve got the cash for the iLoaded ballpark and are used to iOS anyway, then the 7 or 8 should meet your criteria. Idk if the 6s will get updates for 4 more years.

Regardless, your experiences with Apple and Android are entirely anecdotal and you shouldn’t use them to generalise like that.

I think experiences of others is a pretty good way to get to know what it's like to own that phone. It does show something about the lifetime of it. One of my friends with an Iphone 6s had her battery broken after a year, probably because she went to China and extreme temperature changes are very bad for a battery. My brother also had a problem with his battery, but the problem was fixed for free because it was a known fault of apple.

Most of my friends with a samsung had to repair them after 1 year, because of unexpected crashes or battery problems, and ofcourse repairing them costs a lot of money. I just don't want this insecurity.

I also know a few people with Huawei, and at first I wanted to buy this phone too because it's pretty cheap. But they happen to break very soon too.

Thanks for the replies, I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick with apple now because I want os updates for more than 2 years. Still unsure about what type, I think I'm just going to wait until the new phone is out and see what kind I can buy with the money I have. Maybe spending less money on random **** is worth the security of a newer phone.

Pm me with anything math related please

#14 2018-06-25 16:12:23

capasha

I'm still using my Nokia 3310. Because not much money and the only needs for calling and text messages.
I have no idea how you guys can afford a new phone so easy. But I guess this forum is for kids "Daddy pays".

#15 2018-06-25 16:29:31

The Party Animal
Formerly TPA2

i have one of those dollar general brand phones that i bought from working i rarely ever use it besides looking up ways to figure stuff out.

#16 2018-06-25 18:23:31

Yu

I have a landline.

Oh, and a Samsung Galaxy S6.

#17 2018-06-25 19:03:20

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

I don't have or need a phone.

#18 2018-06-25 19:32:38, last edited by Different55 (2018-06-25 19:35:07)

Different55
Forum Admin

Got a Droid Turbo 2 which I would NOT recommend. It's Verizon-specific and Verizon is a trash. The non-Verizon version I think is either the Moto X Force or Moto X Play, can't remember which but they're 100% identical except for the DROID™ and Verizon® logo and library of preinstalled trashware™. Since I got a Motorola phone it's hard to use any other. The gestures and other contextual crap like sending/receiving texts 100% by voice when driving are blended very well with the OS.

Also the screen's plastic. Basically indestructible. Sorta. Physically impossible to shatter it, but it's very easily scratched so don't leave it in your pocket with your keys. But I've dropped this phone onto asphalt/concrete/whatever while running and the only thing I have to show for it is a scuff on the body of the phone.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#19 2018-06-25 19:51:07

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

i got an iphone 8 a couple days ago because it was really cheap

suddenly random sig change

#20 2018-06-25 20:39:31

Kira

Iphone 9

#21 2018-06-25 20:41:46

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Emma333 wrote:

what phone do you have?
xiaomi redmi note 2 and samsung galaxy mini (yes, the latter one is 7 years old by now and it still works, in terms of executing calls and setting alarm clock)
bought samsung galaxy mini when it came out, bought xiaomi redmi note 2 slightly later iirc
xiaomi - about 2 years maybe? samsung - 7 years
xiaomi - not for much longer since this one's been glitchy ever since i got it (despite everyone else that i know is using xiaomi phones has a good working one), im gonna buy a new one soon; samsung - indefinitely, im using it as a secondary phone number plus alarm clock, have no expectations for it now that it's been alive for so long so now i'll just stick to it until it dies
no trashware, no glitches/poor performance, has to run smoothly and support latest software, also phone calls (obviously), good RAM (at least 2gb+) and decent memory (at least 16gb+)

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

TaskManager1529955706711302

Board footer