Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-21 20:52:54

Luka504

Public Text

*sigh* Well, I've been putting this topic off for a while now. It was going to be made sooner or later, but I kept pushing for later. And here we are now.
Hello again forums. Before you get your pitchforks and torches, I would like to present my case on how I think public text helps players, how it helps the staff, and how it helps EE as a whole. And before some of you type something along the lines of ''EE IS DED WHY ARE U MAKING SUGGESTIONS!!111!'' please understand that, yes I am aware that the staff probably definetly won't read this, and even if they do they probably won't even care enough to consider it.

Public Text has always been something I felt should exist. I felt that they have tons of potential for level design or to just mess around with. However it was just never created. Text was always that one thing that seperated the staff from the community. Want text in your world? Well better go find a mod/admin willing to place exactly what you want. If you are friends with the staff members, you would know when they are online and when you can ask them to place text in your world. In the case that you aren't, then better pray that a mod/admin will visit your world and like it enough to consider placing text. Not only is that really inefficent and time consuming, but it cuts off so many chances for creative and innovative level design/gimmicks people could've created if they had full control over the text.

Tell me, out of the 2 designs below this text, which of the two looks nicer and is more efficent?

Hidden text

I think we can both agree that the text looks nicer and presents a better atmosphere than the signs do.

Before this topic was created, I went around EE and asked a bunch of people what they think of this idea. Most of the responses were rather positive with how they think public text would be a good thing to have. However, some people had a bunch of issues regarding this, which turned out to be very good questions I didn't notice myself. I will talk about them right here, and now.

''Text has always been a mod/admin thing, by making it public, people won't value the mods/admins as much''
This is probably the main reason the admins will lock text for mods/admins only, so that they can have something no one else has. For people who want to be ''treated like normal players'' you guys sure do like yer text eh? However, making text public does have a benefit for you guys. I'm sure you find it irritating when some random person who you have litterarly never met starts asking you to go to their world just because they need a text and they don't seem to be of the giving up type (Some mods and admins told me directly that they find this rather annoying). But by making the text public, no one would need to do this. Sure you sacrifice the being special part, but yeah.

''The Text block is glitchy, people can spam it and break EE''
This made me think that text should be like world portals, where they are owner-only and you have to buy a new one to place more of them. They should cost maybe 1200-1500 energy. Not too expensive but also not something you can get in like half a day. Maybe even tweak the text if possible so it doesn't cause so much lag.

''Signs would lose their value''
Definetly not. See, just as text is better in certain siuations, so are signs. Imagine one of Toop & Badoosh's story worlds, do you think they would work with modtext? Definetly not. It would be too exploitable and would take too much space. Sign's take up way less space than text and are ideal in tight spots, whereas text is best in an open enviorement.

TL;DR - Make text public because EE could use it.

How long will it take me to get banned again?
Place your bets right here.

Wooted by: (5)

#2 2017-09-21 20:57:08

MartenM
Website

Re: Public Text

Luka504 wrote:

''Text has always been a mod/admin thing, by making it public, people won't value the mods/admins as much''

They have that fancy new cringe worthy aura, that should do the trick for them.

lm3hgg8.jpg

Ingame: marten22        My steam: MartenM

#3 2017-09-21 22:24:58

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

Luka504 wrote:

This is probably the main reason the admins will lock text for mods/admins only, so that they can have something no one else has. For people who want to be ''treated like normal players'' you guys sure do like yer text eh? However, making text public does have a benefit for you guys. I'm sure you find it irritating when some random person who you have litterarly never met starts asking you to go to their world just because they need a text and they don't seem to be of the giving up type (Some mods and admins told me directly that they find this rather annoying). But by making the text public, no one would need to do this. Sure you sacrifice the being special part, but yeah.

This isn't actually true. The real reason is:

Luka504 wrote:

suddenly random sig change

Wooted by: (2)

#4 2017-09-22 03:43:52, last edited by Kirby (2017-09-22 03:44:15)

Kirby

Slabdrill wrote:
Luka504 wrote:

This isn't actually true. The real reason is:

Luka504 wrote:

toop wrote:

gS9M4TC.png

Wooted by:

#5 2017-09-22 15:59:26

John

Luka504 wrote:

It's rendered differently on the client and causes massive amounts of lag. It can be used to crash worlds too.

If the above problems were fixed, I'm think they'd release it to the public.

PW?scale=2

#6 2017-09-22 17:22:12

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

It would need censoring like chat and signs currently are.

Next time start with the TL;DR. And then stop after it.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Tomahawk1506097332677788

Board footer