Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-02 07:10:57

Kirby

Colored Usernames

I really like colored usernames, but there are a few reasons people don't want them. I have (possible) solutions for each of them, though

As for it being hard to read, if we just stick to colors that aren't too dark, I think we'd be fine

As for it being harder to distinguish between players and staff/guests, we could have dividers

LJfaRse.png

Divider names could include - Staff, Friends, Other, Guest (in that order). Guests wouldn't be able to change their username color (as i'd imagine it would be something you'd do in settings/your profile), and staff would be in one divider, as you can simply click on their username if you are curious as to what their role is.

#2 2017-04-02 07:22:20

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

Re: Colored Usernames

The colors you suggested look really nice.

I like the divider idea, but still think they should have tags next to their names.

Discord: jawp#5123

#3 2017-04-02 07:57:03

Raphe9000

Though I initially disagreed, it really is about time we ditch the color identification EE has in favor for dividers. I still think that user colors should only be an option that can be disabled in favor for the old system. Also, crew members would be cool to have a separate section for.

Wooted by: (2)

#4 2017-04-02 15:28:26

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Raphe9000 wrote:

Though I initially disagreed, it really is about time we ditch the color identification EE has in favor for dividers. I still think that user colors should only be an option that can be disabled in favor for the old system. Also, crew members would be cool to have a separate section for.

If that's the case, why not have a section for those with edit? It would make free edit world management a bit easier.

Wooted by:

#5 2017-04-02 16:19:48

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

What if I want to stick with my white name?

#6 2017-04-02 16:26:21

Kirby

HG wrote:

What if I want to stick with my white name?

since colors would be something you can choose in settings, white would definitely be an option

Wooted by:

#7 2017-04-02 16:32:03

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

How about a "favorite color" option that change your minimap color, username color, and aura color?

#8 2017-04-02 16:34:45

Kirby

N1KF wrote:

How about a "favorite color" option that change your minimap color, username color, and aura color?

I mean, I personally wouldn't want the three to be the same, and i think minimap color is kinda important to stay the way it is to distinguish you from everyone else, but i guess if theres a setting in options to have "colored minimap trails", maybe that could work

#9 2017-04-05 14:39:35, last edited by Koya (2017-04-05 23:32:10)

Koya
Fabulous Member

MrJaWapa wrote:

The colors you suggested look really nice.

I like the divider idea, but still think they should have tags next to their names.

Rather than a divider or a word tag (a tiny crown and stronger staff colour would be clear enough, kirby has not suggested any colours richer or darker than the current colours).

I actually quite like the idea, the slight variations in colour would make tracking chat a little easier (having a purple name, I have never had issues knowing what was said since I last said something without reading). - cut down the number of options though.

Kirby wrote:
N1KF wrote:

I mean, I personally wouldn't want the three to be the same, and i think minimap color is kinda important to stay the way it is to distinguish you from everyone else, but i guess if theres a setting in options to have "colored minimap trails", maybe that could work

As all of the colours are basically white - I don't think there would be any issues, but no point

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

I stack my signatures rather than delete them so I don't lose them
giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

#10 2017-04-07 06:38:37

Minisaurus
Banned

Lets give a better use of it:

Mix my idea: http://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewtopic.php?id=32419

Whit yours, that would make more understandable the use of colored usernames for players.

It would be used for friends, muted players, players who muted you, non chat players, moderators, developers, administrators.

Whatever color username for players is not a good idea. But if the colored usernames help the game to be more friendly understandable, giving a logic reason for the color, then it could be very helpful for the game-play and give players a better experience in the community.

#11 2017-04-07 12:11:55

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

Minisaurus wrote:

Lets give a better use of it:

Mix my idea: http://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewtopic.php?id=32419

Whit yours, that would make more understandable the use of colored usernames for players.

It would be used for friends, muted players, players who muted you, non chat players, moderators, developers, administrators.

Whatever color username for players is not a good idea. But if the colored usernames help the game to be more friendly understandable, giving a logic reason for the color, then it could be very helpful for the game-play and give players a better experience in the community.

The whole objective of this suggestion is to make users set their favorite colors for their names, so that friends and EE staff are identified another way (dividers)

#12 2017-04-07 13:54:38

Minisaurus
Banned

HG wrote:

is to make users favorite colors for their names, so friends and staff are identified another way (dividers)

And that is why this topic suggestion makes non sense, colors has been always more than colors:

EE has been using colors for so long, using them to separate, players with moderators, friends with no friends, and like that.

If now you add a separation section for the name list, then the colors would not longer be needed, and moderators can choice than continue giving players a logical color for a logical reason, or give everyone rainbow colors for their hipster feeling filling.

As so, colors can be very significant about how EE rules and work, and the colored usernames by a logical meaning are a powerful tool.

I hope this comment let you understand the need of the logical color giving of EE, that is why rainbow username were a April fool day event.

#13 2017-04-07 14:09:03

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

Minisaurus wrote:
HG wrote:

is to make users favorite colors for their names, so friends and staff are identified another way (dividers)

And that is why this topic suggestion makes non sense, colors has been always more than colors:

EE has been using colors for so long, using them to separate, players with moderators, friends with no friends, and like that.

If now you add a separation section for the name list, then the colors would not longer be needed, and moderators can choice than continue giving players a logical color for a logical reason, or give everyone rainbow colors for their hipster feeling filling.

As so, colors can be very significant about how EE rules and work, and the colored usernames by a logical meaning are a powerful tool.

I hope this comment let you understand the need of the logical color giving of EE, that is why rainbow username were a April fool day event.

So you are saying that colors should only be used to identify players such as staff and the other types of players you mentioned because it would be a more efficient use of colour than just because we like being a certain colour?

Well why not have dividers for that...? And then colours can be used for aesthetic purposes. This way both things are achieved.

Furthermore, dividers would be more efficient at identifying staff than colours. Currently, you have to know what the colours mean in the first place in order for them to be any use; which is kinda pointless since most of us can recognise staff and friends by their usernames anyway.

There are plenty of times when I've seen players ask "why does [player] have a purple username?". This clearly shows that colours are not an effective way of identifying specific types of players. Surely a divider saying "staff" will be more helpful for new users to recognise who the staff are than coloured names?

Conclusion: Dividers are more helpful to identify players than colours and as a result, if they are added, colours could be used for personal preference of our usernames.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#14 2017-04-07 14:21:35, last edited by LukeM (2017-04-07 14:21:58)

LukeM
Website

I would personally much prefer using colours to identify staff / friends, that way you can quickly identify who is on at a glance, without needing to actually read the names
Also, using colours allows for names to be ordered on time joining, while dividers would not allow for that, I personally like to be able to see who has joined recently and who has been on for a while

#15 2017-04-07 17:56:17

Minisaurus
Banned

Devlin wrote:

Conclusion: Dividers are more helpful to identify players than colours and as a result, if they are added, colours could be used for personal preference of our usernames.

Yup agree, dividers are the best option for identify players.

Keep friends, administrators, non-chat, moderators respective name colors and add to it the muted, muted you and non-chat respective colored names as a easy way to refer and identify players into the in-game screen.

Colors are the best option to recognize them in-game screen, so it could be extremely helpful to have specific colors with logic coherence of use.

#16 2017-04-07 18:20:46, last edited by Koya (2017-04-07 18:21:29)

Koya
Fabulous Member

Minisaurus wrote:

Yup agree, dividers are the best option for identify players.

Dividers are ugly, would never vote for them - I do however like the idea of people being able to choose a username colour see above

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

Wooted by:

#17 2017-04-07 18:32:48

Minisaurus
Banned

Koya wrote:

Dividers are ugly, would never vote for them - I do however like the idea of people being able to choose a username colour see above

Hm! yeah! that could be too, I made time ago a similar suggestion about tiny crowns in a side of the name: http://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewtopic.php?id=32313

I guess to separate players the crowns can be used instead, then it would need a order in the chat room name list, ordering according to the crowns, but i think there must be other icon for the player role, because crown is more like for a reward than anything else, maybe a filled dot or so.

Btw, about the colored usernames I keep the idea that its better to keep the coherence of logic use of the username colors; but that is up to moderators.

#18 2017-04-07 18:35:29

Koya
Fabulous Member

Minisaurus wrote:

Btw, about the colored usernames I keep the idea that its better to keep the coherence of logic use of the username colors; but that is up to moderators.

Coloured usernames are cool and with the colours Kirby suggested you can't mix up players and staff.

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

#19 2017-04-07 18:51:45

Minisaurus
Banned

Koya wrote:

Coloured usernames are cool and with the colours Kirby suggested you can't mix up players and staff.

About if colors for usernames is cool or not is just an opinion, some will feel them cool, others will feel it ugly.

If there will be a color rainbow its properly to keep it as a personal choice for every player.
It would be pretty annoying for minimakers to have rainbow colors flying around the screen while editing, some players will like it, some players will hate it.

#20 2017-04-07 22:15:42

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

Minisaurus wrote:
Koya wrote:

About if colors for usernames is cool or not is just an opinion, some will feel them cool, others will feel it ugly.

If there will be a color rainbow its properly to keep it as a personal choice for every player.
It would be pretty annoying for minimakers to have rainbow colors flying around the screen while editing, some players will like it, some players will hate it.

Then what about an user option to toggle name colors?

#21 2017-04-07 23:02:15

Minisaurus
Banned

HG wrote:

That is what i´m telling, in the remote case players get able to have rainbow colors, then it must be a personal option.

#22 2017-04-08 01:23:51

Freckleface

HG wrote:
Minisaurus wrote:
Koya wrote:

There already is an option for this though

F

Wooted by: (2)

#23 2017-04-08 04:54:06

Minisaurus
Banned

Freckleface wrote:

Not really, that option is not for what we are talking about, we are not talking about chat, we are talking about in-game screen colored names, and that option does not integrates the additional feature for in-game screen color customization, having only its function in the chat.

#24 2017-04-09 03:50:20

Freckleface

Minisaurus wrote:
Freckleface wrote:

Not really, that option is not for what we are talking about, we are not talking about chat, we are talking about in-game screen colored names, and that option does not integrates the additional feature for in-game screen color customization, having only its function in the chat.

Well, then we make it work for in-game screen?

F

#25 2017-04-09 03:51:19

Minisaurus
Banned

Freckleface wrote:

Well, then we make it work for in-game screen?

That could be, I guess its better to make another one option for that, both are very different but looks similar.

Minisaurus1491706279653851

Board footer