Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-31 05:48:58

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Phantom Smileys (3 blocks, 7+ new world features!)

If you haven't summoned one already, you can press T while standing on a Phantom Spawner to spawn a Phantom Smiley at the most recent checkpoint. Or spawn point, if you haven't touched any. An icon will stay in the top-right corner as long as that Phantom Smiley is around, indicating that you've summoned it.

Press T to take control your Phantom Smiley. It looks like https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/5/58/040_ghost but with a red tint. It moves and is affected by gravity just like a regular everyday smiley, and your camera will follow it around as long as you're in control of it. You can press T again to get back to controlling your main smiley.

Along with the purchase of a Phantom Spawner, you get Phantom Doors and Gates. Phantom Smileys can go through Phantom Doors. You can probably guess what the Phantom Gate does.

Action blocks activated by the Phantom Smiley will also affect the main smiley. This also goes in reverse. (I'm not sure how effects would work so you can go debate that in the comments.) This includes:

• Coins and switches

• Keys and global switches (This affects all players as usual.)

• Death doors/gates (However, if your Phantom Smiley dies, it will not respawn, and the Phantom Smiley icon in the top-right corner disappears. You will be forced back into controlling your main smiley, and the Phantom Smiley can be summoned again using a Phantom Spawner as usual.)

• Crowns (They will always appear on both you and your Phantom Smiley.)

• Signs (If the smiley you're not controlling gets moved onto a sign, the text in it will temporarily pop up on the top of your screen as an announcement.)

• Music blocks

• Win blocks

• World portals

Let's think of some of the useful things that can be done with Phantom Smileys:

1. A secondary "player" you can switch between and move around for puzzles

2. Systems to keep worlds like "Megaman Dash" up and running without any extra tabs or players

3. Automatic switch-flipping systems that don't trap the player in a machine for seconds straight

4. "Menus" for worlds that you can switch in and out of by pressing T

5. Event timers for individual players that doesn't rely on wonky curses

6. Announcements for things going on (Since only you can see it, perhaps I should create another topic for announcement blocks that reach all players. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink)

7. Dynamic world soundtracks!

8. Anything else you're creative enough to think of

As you can see, the Phantom Smiley is a feature that's pretty simple, but adds a lot of depth into a variety of areas in world creation. It has a high simplicity-to-usefulness ratio. Right now it's probably the most desired world creation feature I have, only topped by iPwner's savepoints~ ♥

However, there's one major problem I can come up with. The first is lag, which is indeedily-doo an ih-shoo as usual, though it may be helped by UnitEE. With two smileys for each player, it would almost be like doubling the player count in a world (assuming each player has a Phantom Smiley, that is). If it were made client-sided to prevent lag, it might be rather easy to hack.

In my signature, I mentioned that I was planning to post this idea, and that the person to message me the closest guess would get a special mention on the topic. Congratulations Evilbunny for winning! You were the only one to message me, though, so your mention on this topic is even more pointless than most of the other stuff I write.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#2 2017-01-31 21:20:36

21Twelve
Formerly 222Hockey222

Re: Phantom Smileys (3 blocks, 7+ new world features!)

This is what we need.

b5c4b4f1a7.png

Wooted by:

#3 2017-01-31 21:22:03

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

But T is the chat hot-key. Make it P. (Unity client will support hot-key customization, so it's not something to worry that much about.)

#4 2017-01-31 21:28:06, last edited by N1KF (2017-01-31 21:38:58)

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

HG wrote:

But T is the chat hot-key. Make it P. (Unity client will support hot-key customization, so it's not something to worry that much about.)

P is too far away, which may make it a bit inconvenient if you need to switch a lot in a world. Actually, now that I think about it, P might actually be convenient alternative. If the left hand is on the WASD button, the right hand would be using the space bar, and might be able to press the P button with its pinky without too much of a problem. However, a button on the left side of the keyboard would work better for those who prefer to use the arrow keys.

I considered E or R, but T was next to Y which is the world portal button. In that case, Y is a bit odd for world portals since the chat button is awkwardly between Y and the WASD movement buttons.

E would may be a bit easy to press which is dangerous for world portals. Since it's convenient for Phantom Smileys, I think E should be for switching between the two, while R be the world portal button.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#5 2017-01-31 21:34:57

Evilbunny

N1KF wrote:

In my signature, I mentioned that I was planning to post this idea, and that the person to message me the closest guess would get a special mention on the topic. Congratulations Evilbunny for winning! You were the only one to message me, though, so your mention on this topic is even more pointless than most of the other stuff I write.

I guessed cars.

This idea might be better than cars.

Evilbunny (in cursive)

Wooted by:

#6 2017-01-31 22:17:57, last edited by Raphe9000 (2017-01-31 22:19:19)

Raphe9000

I hated this when I read the first part. After reading the whole thing, I actually kinda like it. I do think that the button should by Y instead of T though.

EDIT: I do kinda have a concern about how the game and our computers would be able to handle multiple of you in one game.

#7 2017-01-31 22:30:22

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Raphe9000 wrote:

I do think that the button should by Y instead of T though.

That would create a button conflict with reset blocks and world portals. That wouldn't be much of an issue unless a world were poorly designed, but I think it would be a good idea to future-proof in case there are eventually more blocks activated by the Y button.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#8 2017-02-04 19:11:42

dcomet

rcmnsge.png
i think the phantom would look like this.

1xxoWGb.png
X6pVnTA.png
@MAMETCHl on twitter for the pfp artist, @snuffyowo on twitter for the character drawn in the pfp.

#9 2017-02-05 02:12:10

Freckleface

Why not just add a functionality to hologram?

F

#10 2017-02-05 02:13:52

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Freckleface wrote:

That may wonkify worlds with hologram blocks already.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#11 2017-02-05 02:24:12

Freckleface

N1KF wrote:
Freckleface wrote:

That may wonkify worlds with hologram blocks already.

Transmorgify holograms into something else?

F

#12 2017-02-24 07:05:56

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Nou in his official Staff topic wrote:

EE has a very, very broad audience, ranging from young children to adults, from casual players who play a few hours a week to no-life hardcore players. Within that group, each player can define themselves as either a builder, a player, an artist, a musician, etc.,  or a combination of these.

Where's the support for musicians? We haven't gotten any single addition for musicians in over a year. I'd like to emphasize that Phantom Smileys would help a lot by adding in-game soundtracks to worlds.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#13 2017-02-24 12:47:00

Abelysk

I support this very fine idea kind sir.

Wooted by:
Abelysk1487936820648749

Board footer