Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

Calicara

In-Game Layers

I think I might have mentioned this before, but this is just an expansion of the idea.

Layers, is an idea I learned about with photoshop. The idea of layering one picture on top of another, but in different layers so you can edit individual aspects of a picture without ruining the whole thing.

Alot of times people fill their backgrounds with blue, green, or red keys and gates, because they are the only blocks (besides the crown) that you can pass through and they make colors on the map. So my idea is instead of more gates, just add layers.

My plan is first you need to buy a level. Then on the side of the screen there's a little bar, and when you click it it shows level upgrades. Each layer will cost energy. How much depends on the level size.

After there is more than one layer, on the same bar there should be tab that says layer options. There the player will have the choice to choose between which layers to edit.

The main layer, or the playing layer, will be the layer where all the minigames go.

The background layers are where the blocks go that are supposed to be in the background. When playing the background layer is opaque, but not invisible.

Each level should be allowed up to 4 layers. Then people could edit between layers and then minis will not get in the way of art.

This feature should only be for owners of saved worlds.

so, tell me what you think.

Last edited by Calicara (Apr 21 2011 9:13:41 pm)

#2 Before February 2015

JadElClemens

Re: In-Game Layers

I support this idea, but how would it all work on the minimap? That's pretty much the only reason people fill their levels with keys/gates.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#3 Before February 2015

Calicara

Well see the layers allows people to make their level pretty, and have really good minigames at the same time.

Think about it, what's the number one problem with level filled with art? No room for minis. With layers that can become possible.

For this to work, blocks need to be relevant to their current layer. So say I want to go to the background layer, all the minis turn opaque, and the background turn solid. Then when I switch back the minis background would be opaque and the minis solid. It's kinda a far-fetched idea, but I think it's a better alternative to gates.

#4 Before February 2015

BadBoySingh

i was thinking about this idea just yesterday but then i remebered it was already posted so what was the point of posting the same idea...

and i get the idea being it makes the game map more cube/cuboid then square/rectangular. but this idea requirs a large amount of time to write down all the codes for it for the visual aspect and the gaming aspect so really it is a big concept that will take up most of the EE teams time to make a working prototype for this in beta mode.

plus with the idea of it being 3D you would have to have a movable carmera in which you could see the map in a different angle to make the map easy to go through if it were 3D but that would make it more of a MMORPG and not a sandbox game that everyone can enjoy.

#5 Before February 2015

Wezza

I like this idea, maybe expand it with a also playing the background, so when you finished the front you get teleport to (for ex.) level2, which was shown on the background.

#6 Before February 2015

Calicara

Your so smart Wezza. Although, that would be so confusing 0_0

@Badboysingh: I'm not saying make it 3-d.

#7 Before February 2015

correiajoao

Is a good ideia! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink
I think was suggested before.

#8 Before February 2015

JadElClemens

Failgirl101 wrote:

Well see the layers allows people to make their level pretty, and have really good minigames at the same time.

Think about it, what's the number one problem with level filled with art? No room for minis. With layers that can become possible.

For this to work, blocks need to be relevant to their current layer. So say I want to go to the background layer, all the minis turn opaque, and the background turn solid. Then when I switch back the minis background would be opaque and the minis solid. It's kinda a far-fetched idea, but I think it's a better alternative to gates.

Yes, but what would all the bricks look like as they're compiled on the minimap? Would the colors blend? You see, as I said, the only reason people fill levels with keys/gates are to make it look good on the minimap, not on the actual playing field.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#9 Before February 2015

BadBoySingh

Failgirl101 wrote:

Your so smart Wezza. Although, that would be so confusing 0_0

@Badboysingh: I'm not saying make it 3-d.

what i was talking about is in a gaming point of view not visual view (which your talking about).
and how your putting it makes it seem that it would take still a long time to make and design but make more artistic levels look much better.

another thing i would like to say is that is it only the creator of the make then can go through the layers or can anyone with the code can?

#10 Before February 2015

Calicara

It would be for owners only.

I guess it would be kinda hard to explain, but it would be just like in photoshop. Layer 1 would be in the very back, and each layer on top of that goes on top of it.

Only one layer would be for the background, and that would be what is shown on the minimap. The "playing layer" would be whats visible on the playing field. All the other layers would be opaque in hte background.

Hope this kinda helps //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

#11 Before February 2015

JadElClemens

Yes, so filling in the back layers with keys would do nothing for the minimap, which is the only reason anyone ever does that. You would have to be able to put players in lower layers for it to work.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

Calicara 1423730053231379

Board footer