Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

[Comp] BATTLE OF THE BOTS

9RbQR.png

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
aKeUG.png

THIRD PLACE...
CAPTAIN9

Score: 57.25%
First submission: none
Second submission: http://everybodyedits.com/games/PWwA0kpYvubUI

We were highly impressed by the technical skill demonstrated in this bot. He chose to emulate a game called Worms, which is about shooting your opponent and strategically moving about. He allows the user to intuitively change strength and angle of trajectory in order to attack opponents. The shots fired follow a curve that follows what it would look like in real life.

However, there is a flaw that damaged his score severely, and resulted in third place instead of second place. The game does not have an end sequence - once your opponent dies, it continually asks you to shoot. I will ask him to include an end sequence since it will be receiving a lot of attention after he is announced the 3rd place winner.

SECOND PLACE...
PROCESSOR

Score: 60.50%
First submission: none
Second submission: http://everybodyedits.com/games/PWqtK3LOhIbEI

Processor's remake of the classic game Tron is nearly flawless and has visited the top of the lobby several times in the past week. Users control their light cycle using arrow keys and expert timing. It is effortless to learn, which is always a good thing when you're dealing with the general public.

FIRST PLACE...

MYLO

Score: 83.75%
First submission: http://everybodyedits.com/games/PWAIiuILR0a0I
Second submission: http://everybodyedits.com/games/PWmSQ3dUeya0I

Mylo is one of the few who had the skill to complete both challenges.

The first, "Relume", is very detailed and emulates a survival adventure game. It has stages for the user(s) to complete, such as: build a shelter, make a bridge, and defeat the "purple". It is immersive and relaxing, comparable to Minecraft but obviously not as complex. It can be made challenging by attempting to break the lowest time.

The second is a remake of the very old Atari game "Kaboom", in which the user must catch the bombs that are being dropped from a wall. His remake is void of bugs and follows the gameplay mechanics exactly. It is simple, well-made, and addictive.

Honorable mention: rubixguy
rubixguy made a very successful version of Connect Four, and if he had submitted it, he would have ranked in second or third place. However, he decided not to submit it, because he did not want the prize.
All prizes will be given as soon as possible.

Congratulations to all the winners, and we thank everyone who participated. It was a lot of fun to judge all your submissions.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
9RbYl.png

Bots have been paving the path to a new, better Everybody Edits for years. From Cyph1e's Snake Bot to FloddyFosh's ICanDigIt, there have been numerous successful bot-assisted levels that have inspired others to create even more. Unfortunately, the golden age of bots has declined along with the userbase, and the League of Androids's goal is to help it rise again.

The Battle of the Bots will not only challenge developers to create something entertaining and original, but give the players of EE back something they have been losing: fun bot levels.

This tournament is represented through three rounds, each with a designated challenge and theme. As the rounds progress, competitors will gradually be eliminated until the best developer stands.

The winner of the Battle of the Bots will not go home empty handed! There are some special rewards awaiting the best bot creator. Only the most creative, skilled, and efficient programmer will take home the money! Will it be you?

9Rc78.png

First Place Prize:
• 250 gems (worth $20 USD)
• 3 months of Builder's Club (worth $30 USD)
• Forum rank of "Master Developer"
• A unique congratulatory signature

Second Place Prize:
• Forum rank of "Experienced Developer"
• A unique congratulatory signature

Third Place Prize:
• A unique congratulatory signature.

Special thanks to Brian Meidell for the prizes of Builder's Club and 250 gems.

9RbTd.png

• Competitors must work individually.
• Competitors must not copy the work of other people, neither conceptually nor schematically.
• Competitors must only use free libraries that are open to the public. EE libraries are allowed. However, you cannot blame these libraries if there are bugs in the presentation.
New rule (6.7.2014): You may not hardcode the judges' names into your program in order to give us a different experience. The judges should be like any other player.
New rule (7.7.2014): You may not use admin text.

How the competition will work:
Updated rule (15.7.2014): There will be two challenges, one after the other.
• We will release the challenge at a specific time and date. You will be given a certain amount of time to finish it, generally ten days. Submissions given after the deadline will be disqualified. There is no grace period. We are ruthless.

• In each challenge, the competitor will create their software from the ground up and then submit the source code and world. We will evaluate it ourselves. (If you chose to keep your password a secret, we will clone your world and use that instead)

• Competitors will be judged on:
     • Creativity, which is defined as being new or original.
     • Fulfillment of task, which is defined as satisfying the goals of the task.
     • Presentation, which is defined as having easy-to-read code, being void of bugs, and most importantly, being fun.
     • User Interface will not give you an advantage or disadvantage.

• Judging will work as follows: Each judge will give each submission a score out of 100. The four scores will be averaged.
Updated rule (15.7.2014): After Challenge 2, your average for C1 and C2 will be your final score. The top three will be decided from these scores.
New rule (16.7.2014): Challenge 2 has a weight of 3/4ths your score. Challenge one has a weight of 1/4th. That means, those who completed challenge one will have up to 25 points extra added to their score, while those who did not will earn nothing, and can have a maximum of 75.
• In other words, Final Score = (C1 Score + C2 Score + C2 Score + C2 Score) / 4

9Rc1R.png

Total: 44  0176 abrar11 anch159 aswell Ayat5 BattleFox203 captain9 Cool12309 Different55 drstereos Fdoou GKAbyss Glenn21 ipwner iYam jenyafio100 jr2 Kentiya Ktostam450 legitturtle09 Mac and Cheese mochonoob Muffin mylo Processor rubixguy seanseag69 Setun/CoolBoy SmittyW. Some man TechnoWolf99 The Doctor theditor tikenalpha Wambo Xfrogman43 zeldaxd Calicara Hexagon Hummerz5 ILoveBacon Jesse lrussell Oryg1n skullz16

Eliminated:

9UDz1.png

What are the specs of the computers that will run my bot?
What should the block delay be?
What if the program crashes because your computer can handle it?
Your program will be run on a variety of computers with varying specs. We will judge performance based on the best of these results. If none of our computers can run it, then that means your program is too intensive and will be dealt with individually.

Part of being a good bot creator is efficiency, and if you are being remarkably inefficient then it makes sense that your score should suffer. Programming skill is not the focus of this competition, but it does matter. We will review your source code if there are complications, and see whether you are being reasonable or not with memory consumption.

Why do I have to give you the source?
We will scan your code for many things, including
• malicious intent
• plagiarizing
• the source of bugs
• programming skill
• other rule violations

I'm fine with giving the source but I don't want you to see my log-in information
I have every confidence that our judges will not use your password, but I will respect your confidentiality. In the event you do not want to disclose your password, just replace it with "password", and we will use our own accounts to run tests.

I'm on your competitors list, but I didn't sign up. Can you remove me?
Yes, I will remove you if you ask. But don't worry, it doesn't affect the other competitors or you in any way.

League of Androids
Sponsored by Brian Meidell, CEO of Cape Copenhagen

Last edited by Tako (Aug 8 2014 2:10:04 pm)

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

#2 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

Re: [Comp] BATTLE OF THE BOTS

What if I don't know how long I've been programming?

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#3 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

You can skip that question.   It doesn't affect our judging of you.

#4 Before February 2015

Alexthementalone
Banned

Good contest! EE does need some more BAL's. Hopefully the prizes available will inspire some bot creators to make some quality bots. BAL's should be a integral part of EE, giving a more competitive aspect to levels.

I would participate in this contest if I had prior knowledge on programming languages, but unfortunately I do not. Anywho, there needs to be new, intuitive levels that show originality!

I really do hope that some really good quality bots are created, then I wont always have to play Yo!Scroll when it's active...

WLuh7hN.png

(I was ranked 2 but didn't play for awhile...)

/Alex

Last edited by Alexthementalone (Jul 1 2014 9:14:25 am)

#5 Before February 2015

hummerz5

I'm confused.
CST == no daylight savings time
Why not?

Signed up.
I'm not the creative type... and since you say these things require basic stufs, i'll probably drown w/ the fishers.

Last edited by hummerz5 (Jul 1 2014 10:06:48 am)

#6 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

hummerz5 wrote:

I'm confused.
CST == no daylight savings time
Why not?

Why does it matter? It's not going to shift or anything.

#7 Before February 2015

TiKen

Interesting. I signed in, but I'll only play if I can backup my crashed hard drive... ==

#8 Before February 2015

Muffin

I'm in it for the gems baby! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/cool

#9 Before February 2015

Buzzerbee
Forum Admin

Muffin wrote:

I'm in it for the gems baby! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/cool

You're a programmer?

TdQRyz3.png
https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/5/5d/135_bee

#10 Before February 2015

lrussell
Website

I suppose I'll give it a shot. What do I got to lose (other than time)?

Also, by general purpose libraries, do you mean we can't use things such as Json.NET or otherwise?

Last edited by lrussell (Jul 2 2014 1:18:54 am)

#11 Before February 2015

theditor

Im in //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/cool
u gonna get pwned

#12 Before February 2015

lrussell
Website

theditor wrote:

u gonna get pwned

Not with that grammar! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

#13 Before February 2015

TiKen

lrussell wrote:
theditor wrote:

u gonna get pwned

Not with that grammar! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Except if he does a bot that says sentences that you have to correct! \o/

#14 Before February 2015

Mylo
Master Developer

Grml. Want to use cupcake. Why cant we use them tho?
Supporting to start another tournament for experienced programmers, which allows use of them c:
Good Luck to everyone.

#15 Before February 2015

ILoveBacon

http://blog.everybodyedits.com/ 250 gems. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile GL everyone!

#16 Before February 2015

Cyral

lrussell wrote:

I suppose I'll give it a shot. What do I got to lose (other than time)?

Also, by general purpose libraries, do you mean we can't use things such as Json.NET or otherwise?

He means you cannot use bot frameworks designed for EE, such as SkyLight. Serialization libraries like Json.NET, extension libraries, etc, should be fine.

Player Since 2011. I used to make bots and stuff.

#17 Before February 2015

Cool12309

Signed up. Y'all are going down!

#18 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Mylo wrote:

Grml. Want to use cupcake. Why cant we use them tho?
Supporting to start another tournament for experienced programmers, which allows use of them c:
Good Luck to everyone.

Alright, alright.   I will allow you to use EE libraries as long as they are public for everyone to use.

And you cannot hold the library responsible for any bugs in your program.

#19 Before February 2015

ZeldaXD
EE Homeboy
Website

I submit. I'll try to recode some of my WIPS bot to be more presentable.

gLjTZE1.png

#20 Before February 2015

Kentiya
Website

I haven't made any bots in a while, so I probably don't stand a chance against some of the other contestants. But if there's a chance I can finally get that Christmas smiley then I guess I could try. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

kentiya-cartoony-120.png
Kentiya / Atikyne — EE & EEU lead artist 2018-2020

#21 Before February 2015

Calicara

Lets say you never made bots before, but you still want to enter, what resources are available for people willing to learn.
I'm all for contests, but this seems very inclusive because you can't enter if you don't know how to make bots.

#22 Before February 2015

Alexthementalone
Banned

Calicara wrote:

Lets say you never made bots before, but you still want to enter, what resources are available for people willing to learn.
I'm all for contests, but this seems very inclusive because you can't enter if you don't know how to make bots.

I agree with this statement also.

But this type of contest is more of an important part to EE than say a 'smiley designing contest'. This contest will hopefully provoke better worlds in EE today, even with it's dwindling player base. And with the current moderation situation, this is one of the only viable options we've got.

/Alex

#23 Before February 2015

ByteArray

I'm gonna give this a try :3

former lead-dev on EE/EEU, 2018—2020
(aka Criobite, Joshua Stone, TechnoWolf99, & LightWolf)

#24 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Calicara wrote:

You are correct - this is a rather inclusive competition. But sometimes the minority needs to be appreciated especially. It would be hypocritical of me to not help people learn, so read on if you're interested in learning.

I would recommend using C#, although it is very subjective which programming language is best. There is also C, C++, Java, and many more. This post by Atilla outlines the advantages of some common languages. But you can only choose one.
--
The first thing you need is a place to write your code, called the Integrated Development Environment (IDE). Here are a couple popular IDEs: Visual Studio (which is extremely popular) and Mono (for those who don't use Windows).   There are undoubtedly dozens of other IDEs out there, so if neither of those strike your fancy then you can google "C# IDE".
--
The second thing you need is general knowledge of your language. A programming language is very similar to a spoken language. It takes time and effort to learn, but you don't need to know everything in order to start speaking it.

With C#, and most other languages, there are a plethora of guides out there. You can just Google "C# tutorial" and pick out the ones you like the best, depending on your learning preferences. I learned it from a physical book, others learn it from Youtube videos, some just like looking at the documentation.

DotNetPerls is an excellent resource if you need specific things to be explained further, such as "if", "switch", and "list".

StackOverflow is like the Yahoo Answers of programming - you will get objective answers to your questions from actual people who know what they're talking about.   However, keep in mind that none of them know what EE is, so questions must be general.
--
The third thing you need is domain-specific knowledge. In order to connect to EE, join a room, place blocks, say things, etc., you need to learn how to use a specific library. The PlayerIOClient library is what everybody uses to connect, however, PlayerIOClient is not specifically for EE, and therefore you need to do extra work. If you do not wish to do this extra work, you can instead use a library that builds off of PlayerIOClient and does a lot of the work for you in regards to EE functions. Some popular libraries are: EECloud by Yonom and Express50, Cupcake by Yonom, and Skylight by yours truly. Those links contain guides that explain how to use it.

I make it seem like a daunting task, but I have seen someone go from "what's C#?" to making their own bot in just a few days. Obviously, you will not be as skilled as someone who has been programming for 10 years, but thankfully you do not need to know advanced techniques to make a fun bot.

#25 Before February 2015

Calicara

Thanks much Tako! I will look into those this weekend.

Tako1423758350203082

Board footer