Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#76 Before February 2015

Interrobang Team

Re: Let's fix Parental Control

what i like about the current system is that you DO get to curse, but it won't get to the ones whos parents don't like it. also ban the people who made boob land

EDIT it gives asterisks! so then the problems are done. all you have to do is add more curses it blocks!

Last edited by Interrobang Team (Dec 28 2010 2:56:30 pm)

#77 Before February 2015

Mrheroadam

Please live in Poland and my parents do not have paypal. I can not pay but my parents agree. PLEASE //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

#78 Before February 2015

Plet53

I've go it!

>Before entering a world, a "Chat Filter Y/N" option appears, that way people who don't like swears (and swearing) can have it filtered out, whereas everyone else who knows that words are just words, can leave it off. Along with a "Set default" check box for those who just want to set it once and be done with it.

#79 Before February 2015

missmurder31

I was thinking that you can turn chat off and on by supplying info like where you live, P.O box number if you have one, stuff like that that a kid probably wouldnt know. To activate it one would have to purchase gems and NOT earn them for free. And then to make it kid friendly, add a filter for swear words so they appear as stars. Like if i said the f word in chat in a sentence it'd appear as **** you or something like that. Also filter perverted things too. You dont have to go with the gems, just add a filter for perverted words, swears, etc. But make sure it doesnt filter things like stupid, dumb, retard, etc. I can list a ton of alternate words for swears to filter too. Make it unpassable. You also could add a system where you just give the credit card number and it'll show the parents name if it was correct to allow chat. [Sorry if it got repetitive]

#80 Before February 2015

DarkFire

missmurder31 wrote:

I was thinking that you can turn chat off and on by supplying info like where you live, P.O box number if you have one, stuff like that that a kid probably wouldnt know. To activate it one would have to purchase gems and NOT earn them for free. And then to make it kid friendly, add a filter for swear words so they appear as stars. Like if i said the f word in chat in a sentence it'd appear as **** you or something like that. Also filter perverted things too. You dont have to go with the gems, just add a filter for perverted words, swears, etc. But make sure it doesnt filter things like stupid, dumb, retard, etc. I can list a ton of alternate words for swears to filter too. Make it unpassable. You also could add a system where you just give the credit card number and it'll show the parents name if it was correct to allow chat. [Sorry if it got repetitive]

but wouldnt that look like a scam? "give your credit card number, and you can chat!!!". that would sound MORE that i little fishy.

I totally agree with the oints system, exept, just take away chat; taking away god mode would be cruel. that would stop developing of maps, and the player would have to spam arrows.

#81 Before February 2015

JadElClemens

As some people above may have said (and I do not know if this is already in place, as I have never had chat) a chat filter would be good to add. The whole reason my Dad didn't enable chat for me is that (quoted) "I have no idea what people are saying on there". I would like you to include on the chat-enablement page (the popup-ish thing that links to the paypal page) that chat is censored (if it already is) and the kind of stuff that is said in the chat , such as this -> (from what I heard, cursing and the sort isn't THAT rampant).

I'm glad that you are trying to improve this system... Hopefully my dad will enable chat if some changes are made.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#82 Before February 2015

loldudev5

CHRIS HERE IT IS:
verify thru FACEBOOK.
system will chack the age written in facebook.
or when user joind email(if its more then 13 year's)
or any other thing.the last thing will be verify thru money.

#83 Before February 2015

bloo47

loldudev5 wrote:

CHRIS HERE IT IS:
verify thru FACEBOOK.
system will chack the age written in facebook.
or when user joind email(if its more then 13 year's)
or any other thing.the last thing will be verify thru money.

1. not everyone has facebook
2. people lie about their age DUH!!

#84 Before February 2015

bloo47

Plet53 wrote:

I've go it!

>Before entering a world, a "Chat Filter Y/N" option appears, that way people who don't like swears (and swearing) can have it filtered out, whereas everyone else who knows that words are just words, can leave it off. Along with a "Set default" check box for those who just want to set it once and be done with it.

one of the more reasonable ideas, but we should all remember: what about the people wh DO cuss?

#85 Before February 2015

RayDof

Chris wrote:
133 wrote:

I'm 20, yet I do not have a personal credit card or PayPal account, while there are many people under 18 who do.
So you can guess I'm not very fond of this system.
I'l give it a shot:
Ask for the birth date first. If the person is under 15 (or whatever age you want it to be), they'll have to enable chat with the 1 cent method.

If they say they're older, give a simple mathematical equation that should be common sense for people over 15, but which looks like gibberish to kids. If they can't solve it, they'll have to enable with the 1 cent method again.
This isn't really the same as a simple quiz, as the answer is impossible to look up on the internet. And to be able to solve it, they'd need to learn the basics first.

Also, make clear on the page with the equation it's to verify age / enable chat, in case they ask the parents to solve it.

Regarding the quiz, I am constantly amazed at how clever our children here are and as soon a puzzle has been solved by one, everyone will know the answer.

If you are above 18 and have this issue, you are more than welcome to send me an email at chris at everybodyedits.com with some form of documentation and I will give to you for free.

Ok so if indeed we can prove we are 18 since some of us play on Kongregate, you'll give chat back for free. Now I agree with you making sure children who aren't allowed by parents to play the game, I'm 24 years old with a little girl who likes this game and be honest with you if I'd found out she had chat and was exposed to cussing and abuse from other players I'd raise, well you know. So the next step to proving your over 18 is, everyone over 18 must have some form of ID, doesn't matter if your in the USA or China. So why not just copy your ID, use paint to remove your address and ID numbers but leaving your First name, removing your middle or/and last name, and leaving your birth date. And to worn people who try to make a ID card, each government has made it so its nearly impossible to make a perfect ID card, also trying this your "country" ID is a federal offense. Doing so you look at some hard time in prison. This should give you more then enough reason to believe someone is saying who they are. Of course posting that kind of information here would be stupid so sending it to your email on the other hand or someone you trust as a "partner" or with great respect to take that information down and giving it to you. Now as I said removing key data off your ID protects that person from Identity theft not saying you'd do something like that but, removing such key items as your ID number, expire dates, middle and last name, and only leaving the birth date and picture of your ID card. ID card being things such as a "government issued" card. Or your DL (Driver Clarification).

Of course however I dont let my little girl on or near the computer unless I'm at least in the room and can watch the computer from time to time, that and I dont let her play on Kongregate but on your main website. Since you dont have a chat on there unlike the other gaming site.

For the rest who doesn't understand why Chris is going through all the trouble about this, cuz really you should be grateful he's giving you this opportunity, he could simple make it extremely hard to get chat. But he's giving everyone a chance, and I wouldnt want parents sending me emails either that their kid was exposed to something like cussing or bad chat behavior if I'd had a chat. Most people cant seem to grasp that a lot of parents where raised a way that we want to pass it on to our own kids, such things as manners, yes sir, no sir, manners. Even my gf plays your game from time to time and she as well agrees with you, about proving you are over 18 years old or have parent consent. Now by no means am I trying to be rude or offend anyone but simple facts are a lot of parents think just about the same as I do.

Now then this method solves one problem anyone over 18 can get chat, however it can so solve the problem under the age too. Of course if it was for under the age, the child must have a parent consent therefore sending two sets of ID such as the parent's ID with the same method above of data removal plus the child's ID with the same method. And since this method doesn't cost money, if done at home, as long as you have a scanner, however if done at a public place be sure to remove any if not all copies from the scan from the computer, such place like a Public Resource Center or Library.   Another small note is to remove the "signature" yours at the bottom or where ever its located when you sign your name for the ID if that is added.

Last edited by RayDof (Dec 29 2010 9:41:26 am)

#86 Before February 2015

emanresu

This looks pretty reputable. It lists gaming as a possible application and says it's able to confirm age based solely on name and address. The page doesn't mention exactly how the system works, but apparently you can sign up for a demo. Seems like it might cost money to license it or something, but being free wasn't one of the criteria you listed so...maybe worth looking into?

#87 Before February 2015

Master1

my point system---

you get 100 points
any minor words s -1
any curse words is -5
anything like racisem or WRONG things -10
for trolling it must be reported by 3 people in the lvl (that way people dont abuse this) -30
if you fall below 50 you lose chat for 3 days
below 25 lose chat for a week
if it falls to 0 you lose your chat u til chris decides to give it back
ON THE GOOD SIDE!
if people find you nice they can add 1 point to your maximum number say ur at 100 you fall to 98 then they add it and your 99 (this can be done bye the same person again and again but only once a day)also if ur at 100 yu go to 101 increasing your maximum number of points
also (back to bad stuff) if anyone says anything offensive to a mod in any way you guys chosse how many points they lose
ONE LAST GOOD THING if you manage to be really nice and get your maximum number up to-
300 as a prize you get a special smiley
500 special decoration pack
1,000 a new god glow color of your choice ( like red or blue instead of white but they have to be single colors no multiple ones)
this also helps people find the nice non trolling people easier
1,000,000 allows you to be an EE mod like cyclone, chris and that rpg guy person (very unlikly to ever happen lol)

SO PLZ TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK

Last edited by klmaster (Dec 29 2010 10:01:42 pm)

nicktoot.pngnicktoot.pngnicktoot.png

#88 Before February 2015

PlasmaVirus

Well, in Platform Racing games, the chat filter ALTERS the cuss words used. Once, I said "Damn, this race was fun!" in a a chat, but my text was altered to, "Dingy goo, this race was fun!" You should make the chat alterations so incredibly lame that people might not even want to attempt cussing in the first place. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

#89 Before February 2015

Master1

PlasmaVirus wrote:

Well, in Platform Racing games, the chat filter ALTERS the cuss words used. Once, I said "Damn, this race was fun!" in a a chat, but my text was altered to, "Dingy goo, this race was fun!" You should make the chat alterations so incredibly lame that people might not even want to attempt cussing in the first place. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

lol that would be funny actualy so people might want to just o make others laugh

#90 Before February 2015

Xpo20

xD Indeed. Thats hilarious. Son of a female dog.

#91 Before February 2015

Master1

what da flippin doddles lolz

#92 Before February 2015

DBear

Considering that you have to pay for this parental thingy, it's stupid that the words are still censored. I mean, I know there are still little tiny babbys who think "omg! they said damn!"*heart attack*, but for those of us who are over the age of 5, that's a little unfair to us, imo.
Babbys should not use teh intranet.

Please, call me Danni.
NNID: DanniDearest
MK8 or Splatoon, brah.
EOnu2OZ.png

#93 Before February 2015

neloa

klmaster wrote:
PlasmaVirus wrote:

lol that would be funny actualy so people might want to just o make others laugh

I agree.

"Damn, that race was hard!" into "Dingley dorp, that race was hard!" //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

#94 Before February 2015

lord

Why are parents so overanxious?

They stop the fun of other people!!

TO BAD!!!

#95 Before February 2015

Master1

also they cant stop them from hearing the bad words it will happen sooner or later

#96 Before February 2015

FMaster

klmaster wrote:

also they cant stop them from hearing the bad words it will happen sooner or later

Soooo true

#97 Before February 2015

Glitcherkid

I have an Idea.

Maybe the game could have a word filter that filters out any bad words so that they can't be typed. When someone tries to type a bad word, it will show up in red or just not appear when they send the chat. I like the idea of paying a penny, but could you maybe add the word filter to paying a penny? Pay a penny to chat, then the chat has a word filter. That is my idea. I love everybody edits!! :O:D:lol::P:/

PaNFnqB.png

#98 Before February 2015

ra376953

I'm sure somebody has already said this but I don't want to read all of them so why not just block obscene stuff like Kongregate does with the F word????

Maybe I should have read the last comment.........

Actually I like the idea of a chat filter that redoes what they said so it's funny so just do that. Actually you could even just make it so that it doesn't even comment at all if there is a swear. And you could take a little extra time to make words that aren't swear words but are close like spelling errors that make it obvious it's still a swear filtered too.

Last edited by ra376953 (Dec 30 2010 6:37:07 pm)

#99 Before February 2015

BillyP

I have an idea that won't necessarily solve the chat problem entirely, but will still make a difference. I have emailed Chris about this but not sure if he'll reply so anyway...

It's called Simple Chat and it's for anyone who doesn't have normal chat, so that people who do have chat can communicate with people who don't.

If you take a look at the rough picture:

16c53zq.jpg

It shows a set of options on the right of the screen. Chris/RPGMaster or whoever can adapt this, but for the moment it's okay for this explanation. Anyway, simple chat users will get a limited choice of things to say to normal chat users and other simple chat users. Normal chat users can use simple chat to write back to Simple Chat users because Simple Chat users can only see messages sent using Simple Chat. This is secure because Simple Chat will (obviously) not contain bad language or harassing sentences and they cannot view messages from Normal chat users, (unless a normal chat user USES simple chat to write back to a simple chat user) preventing them from seeing anything they shouldn't see.

*EDIT* Also, in the room list that tells you who's in the room, Normal chat users and simple chat users should be different colours.
*EDIT2* If you click the button 'The code is _____.', a prompt could appear on screen to confirm whether you want to send the code.

Also, instead of just loads of options for them to say on the right side, there could be categories, e.g, you click on 'General' and it will come up with 'Hello.', 'Goodbye', 'Yes', 'No' etc. etc.

Yes, that is a very confusing paragraph, but if you read it carefully it makes sense (hopefully) //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/cool

PS. This is MY idea. That is all. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

Last edited by BillyP (Dec 31 2010 11:47:03 pm)

#100 Before February 2015

Master1

^ really needs an lol button //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Chris 142393302928403

Board footer