Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#126 Before February 2015

Calicara

Re: EE Guardian

GKAbyss wrote:

I don't know how moderators decide on what to do with reports, but I think if there is concern over people being biased, you could have some kind of panel of 20-30 people who vote on all the reports.

This is a much better idea than guardians. What EE needs is not more moderators, but a counsel of people to look over and judge bans based on chat logs, etc... I don't think we need 20 though, perhaps only 4-5 would do.
From what I understand guardians cannot directly ban users, and they shouldn't be able to anyways. No one player should be able to pass judgement on other players. That should be left to the moderators. I don't feel comfortable knowing I could be banned at any moment from someone the moderators have never formally met. Basing a person by their actions online is not a fair form of judgement.
This has naught to do with age/race/gender bias etc...., but rather because probably most of the candidates for the position are well respected members of the community, and thus are long time players. It's undoubted they have forged bias and opinions over certain players over time, and so picking guardians from this pool of players and giving them unlimited power will most likely only support their bias. It's better to make someone a moderator who has known no EE player, because then they can judge based on the rules and not personal bias.
This is just my thoughts. I'm no longer a regular player, but perhaps if EE can be redeed in anyway I might play more. I think the way it's going now though is only a step backwards. I've read that EE is on the backburner because it doesn't make a lot of profit, but in it's heyday EE had hundreds of players a day. What EE needs is not micro-managing by some guardians, but rather a complete overhaul by the moderators. Banning players will only make the community smaller. I would prefer what little effort the current owners of EE put into the game be additional content.
Besides, I think chat logs are the least of the problems with this game, the worst that can happen is someone could get their account stolen. Swearing here and there isn't going to hurt anyone. If the moderators want to moderate anything they should fix the holes in the code to prevent hackers and trolls.

Last edited by Calicara (Jul 13 2014 12:02:53 pm)

#127 Before February 2015

Cyclone or Meredith

Calicara wrote:
GKAbyss wrote:

I don't know how moderators decide on what to do with reports, but I think if there is concern over people being biased, you could have some kind of panel of 20-30 people who vote on all the reports.

This is a much better idea than guardians. What EE needs is not more moderators, but a counsel of people to look over and judge bans based on chat logs, etc... I don't think we need 20 though, perhaps only 4-5 would do.
From what I understand guardians cannot directly ban users, and they shouldn't be able to anyways. No one player should be able to pass judgement on other players. That should be left to the moderators. I don't feel comfortable knowing I could be banned at any moment from someone the moderators have never formally met. Basing a person by their actions online is not a fair form of judgement.
This has naught to do with age/race/gender bias etc...., but rather because probably most of the candidates for the position are well respected members of the community, and thus are long time players. It's undoubted they have forged bias and opinions over certain players over time, and so picking guardians from this pool of players and giving them unlimited power will most likely only support their bias. It's better to make someone a moderator who has known no EE player, because then they can judge based on the rules and not personal bias.
This is just my thoughts. I'm no longer a regular player, but perhaps if EE can be redeed in anyway I might play more. I think the way it's going now though is only a step backwards. I've read that EE is on the backburner because it doesn't make a lot of profit, but in it's heyday EE had hundreds of players a day. What EE needs is not micro-managing by some guardians, but rather a complete overhaul by the moderators. Banning players will only make the community smaller. I would prefer what little effort the current owners of EE put into the game be additional content.
Besides, I think chat logs are the least of the problems with this game, the worst that can happen is someone could get their account stolen. Swearing here and there isn't going to hurt anyone. If the moderators want to moderate anything they should fix the holes in the code to prevent hackers and trolls.

Guardians can ban.

#128 Before February 2015

Calicara

Well then... I certainly won't play anymore if that's the case :rolleyes: //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/mad. I guess I'll forever be a forum lurker... Thanks for the info Meredith.

Last edited by Calicara (Jul 13 2014 12:52:12 pm)

#129 Before February 2015

abrar11

Calicara wrote:

Well then... I certainly won't play anymore if that's the case :rolleyes: //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/mad. I guess I'll forever be a forum lurker... Thanks for the info Meredeath.

I posted on the OP what Guardians can do they can kick in any world to also fly //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue meaning they get edit so if one gets angry they could just troll the world or clear etc

#130 Before February 2015

Calicara

abrar11 wrote:
Calicara wrote:

Well then... I certainly won't play anymore if that's the case :rolleyes: //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/mad. I guess I'll forever be a forum lurker... Thanks for the info Meredeath.

I posted on the OP what Guardians can do they can kick in any world to also fly //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue meaning they get edit so if one gets angry they could just troll the world or clear etc

I guess they should make me a guardian too though. I am a totally respected and mature member of the EE community //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/cool https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/c/c0/069_LOL

#131 Before February 2015

Cyclone or Meredith

abrar11 wrote:
Calicara wrote:

"Meredeath" srs... //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

#132 Before February 2015

Alexthementalone
Banned

I agree, a Guardian shouldn't be eligible to directly ban someone, especially if they have bias.

/Alex

#133 Before February 2015

abrar11

Meredith wrote:
abrar11 wrote:
Calicara wrote:

"Meredeath" srs... //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Haha yeah i was   changing it to meredith but typoed so meh lol

#134 Before February 2015

blizzard

Calicara wrote:
GKAbyss wrote:

Don't care that this is pretty far back , but id have to agree with you wholeheartedly on this.Gaurdians are not the answer , what you suggested is very nice.

*edit* Sorry I cut my previous comment short.Why I don't think guardians should be existent is the fact it's gonna be very ez to get someone that will abuse their power.They will have alot of power due to the fact the mods are inactive.Also , anyone they may oppose their opinion ,that may just go ahead and kick out of the world for their own pleasure.

Last edited by Blizzard101 (Jul 13 2014 6:54:18 pm)

#135 Before February 2015

Bobyy

If anyone of the Guardians edit my worlds, I will instantly complain to one of the mods. I do not want my worlds touched...I spent too much effing time on them for them to be trolled or cleared forever....I would go with Tako's list of people because they're all trustworthy.

Off-topic: Hi

SHwZksb.png  Thanks Bobithan for the sig, love it <3  5d16ccdd4a.png e62a2a5b45.png "You will never know how valuable a thing or a person is...until its not with you anymore, then you`ll regret..."

#136 Before February 2015

Cyclone or Meredith

This has been moved due to the authentication of the emails and the guardian idea.

Thus is this major news that deserves to be in this exclusive category.

#137 Before February 2015

Mylo
Master Developer

Maybe this whole guardian thing would be better without the colored name etc.? Why do these guys even need it? It will just make people like: "WOW! HOW DID YOU GET IT !!!111ELEVEN"

Last edited by Mylo (Jul 14 2014 11:06:14 am)

#138 Before February 2015

Master1

Mylo wrote:

Maybe this whole guardian thing would be better without the colored name etc.? Why do these guys even need it? It will just make people like: "WOW! HOW DID YOU GET IT !!!111ELEVEN"

Exactly what I've been thinking. Nobody needs a special name color and god aura, just gives 'em a reason to make others mad by bragging. Stupid in my opinion.

nicktoot.pngnicktoot.pngnicktoot.png

#139 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Bobyy wrote:

I would go with Tako's list of people because they're all trustworthy.

I made a list of people?

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

#140 Before February 2015

abrar11

Tako wrote:
Bobyy wrote:

I would go with Tako's list of people because they're all trustworthy.

I made a list of people?

lol yeah

#141 Before February 2015

skullz17

I don't think people will just randomly kick people for fun, or because they oppose them. The guardians seem to be encouraged to not kick people, which I think is a really good thing, because that way you're not taking sides in an argument, you're just resolving the problem before it gets bad. Generally, I think people wouldn't do something they know the devs won't like. There are people who would, but most would like to stay on the devs' good side so they don't get banned or whatever. And yeah, the devs could threaten to ban guardians if they don't act properly, or just revoke their powers.

I don't think the problem here is people abusing their powers, I think the problem is that people are going to make bias decisions. A veteran pro player is bullying a nub, by calling them a nub and saying they're really bad at EE and just being mean. A guardian comes, but they're friends with the pro player so they don't do anything about it; they don't see it as a problem at all, and might even join in. That's an example of what could realistically happen.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#142 Before February 2015

Fdoou
Banned

Drama is inevitable when you're giving out something like power. :O is going to happen, and we need to brace ourselves one way or another.

#143 Before February 2015

Calicara

skullz16 wrote:

I don't think people will just randomly kick people for fun, or because they oppose them. The guardians seem to be encouraged to not kick people, which I think is a really good thing, because that way you're not taking sides in an argument, you're just resolving the problem before it gets bad. Generally, I think people wouldn't do something they know the devs won't like. There are people who would, but most would like to stay on the devs' good side so they don't get banned or whatever. And yeah, the devs could threaten to ban guardians if they don't act properly, or just revoke their powers.

I don't think the problem here is people abusing their powers, I think the problem is that people are going to make bias decisions. A veteran pro player is bullying a nub, by calling them a nub and saying they're really bad at EE and just being mean. A guardian comes, but they're friends with the pro player so they don't do anything about it; they don't see it as a problem at all, and might even join in. That's an example of what could realistically happen.

This in a nutshell.
It would seem the overall task of a guardian is to pass judgement, and to have such a role can be a very tricky thing. It can be difficult to draw the line, especially when the people you're moderating are friends.
This reminds me a bit of the Helvi situation. Before EE had rules it was pretty lawless, but then again apart from the occasional noob people were decently nice to each other. One day Helvi joined and decided to make some art which was mildly sexually explicit. The art he made and shared existed in the realm of EE for quite some time before he was decidedly banned, but there was a lot of controversy around his ban (which eventually lead to him being unbanned), because it was a time in which EE was slowly transforming from it's original lawless state, unto one which was attempting to be child friendly.
EE was not originally created with rules and instructions, and EE was not originally created with chat. The lexicon and rules developed over time, but with no real foundation how could users be banned? The only real issues were with shared accounts and hackers like the infamous Supermen2.
As said before, if the community of EE were to attempt to improve, the last thing we should do is exclude people by banning them. Yes, I understand a lot of new players can be very immature, yet instead of shoving them off as trolls or noobs, or banning them, we should help them understand and be better people too. We all have to start somewhere.
Micro-managing based on users who infringe on the few rules there are is going to make EE feel like a dictatorship in which we can no longer have the freedom to express ourselves. I agree certain activities should be banned, like hacking/cyber bullying/account stealing, etc... but on the same note EE was created as a Sandbox game, and thus I feel it should remain this way. Swearing or drawing mildly nude pictures never hurt anyone, and no one is forcing all the users to like each other.
If you don't like someone, don't play with them.

#144 Before February 2015

blizzard

I think another issue with this is so many ee vets are gonna be like "DUDE,i've been on ee forever why didn't I get it? //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile" Youll probably just choose your friends,no offence , but I highly doubt any of you forum mods would choose someone you don't like or know.This is a good way for many people to quit.My opinion , it's just gonna cuz more rage , id hate some undercover mod watching my conversations.And if a guardian came in and started flying around my world,id half a mind to kick them , but then they'd probably ban me.

#145 Before February 2015

Master1

Blizzard101 wrote:

And if a guardian came in and started flying around my world,id half a mind to kick them , but then they'd probably ban me.

Any guardian that bans you for kicking them, doesn't deserve to be a guardian - and honestly should be banned themselves, or at least demoted from the position.

Last edited by Master1 (Jul 14 2014 9:13:50 pm)

nicktoot.pngnicktoot.pngnicktoot.png

#146 Before February 2015

blizzard

Master1 wrote:
Blizzard101 wrote:

And if a guardian came in and started flying around my world,id half a mind to kick them , but then they'd probably ban me.

Any guardian that bans you for kicking them, doesn't deserve to be a guardian - and honestly should be banned themselves, or at least demoted from the position.

Exactly.I just don't want some guy flying around my world that I didn't give edit and easily can edit anything. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile It would slightly take the fun away from making worlds cuz you never know if a guardian is gonna show up and take a quick fly about your world and edit some of our hard work.

#147 Before February 2015

ABC Boy

Blizzard101 wrote:

Exactly.I just don't want some guy flying around my world that I didn't give edit and easily can edit anything. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile It would slightly take the fun away from making worlds cuz you never know if a guardian is gonna show up and take a quick fly about your world and edit some of our hard work.

Yeah, that's just hacking legalized...

But well, if a guardian is chosen, it wouldn't be randomly someone with unknown maturity, but someone who deserve the rights... Unless the guardian system is wrecked. Who knows until it's being published, heh.

#148 Before February 2015

Anch

You gotta hire a guy with no friends so it's not biased.

#149 Before February 2015

Sensei1

Some people are talking about guardians editing worlds. Why would a guardian need to be able to edit worlds?

#150 Before February 2015

blockzoid

I vote for ALEXTHEMENTALONE

abrar1114239592012231

Board footer