Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#51 2019-09-12 18:46:06

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

Re: EE Universe Closed Beta Information!

Xenonetix wrote:
Luka504 wrote:

Can we, like, have a list of players and dates when they'll be able to play? I mean, I'm not sure if such a list can be made, but it would really help because then I'd know when to expect my EEU invitation instead of just checking my e-mail daily and hoping I'm going to be able to play soon.

Although I can't give out full lists, a little over 350 people opted in on 31st December 2018, which was the day we added the Opt In option. If you opted in any time after that, you'll be in one of the 1000 people from Batch 8 onwards. We may try to invite more than 50 people a day, but right now, the aim is going to be 50 people or so daily, so people in those 1000 are unlikely to receive invites until at least a week or so into the Closed Beta.

Might have been explained already, but why is it being released like this? Why not just launch it to everyone at the same time?

Discord: jawp#5123

Wooted by: (3)

#52 2019-09-12 19:37:23

daneeko

mrjawapa wrote:
Xenonetix wrote:
Luka504 wrote:

Can we, like, have a list of players and dates when they'll be able to play? I mean, I'm not sure if such a list can be made, but it would really help because then I'd know when to expect my EEU invitation instead of just checking my e-mail daily and hoping I'm going to be able to play soon.

Although I can't give out full lists, a little over 350 people opted in on 31st December 2018, which was the day we added the Opt In option. If you opted in any time after that, you'll be in one of the 1000 people from Batch 8 onwards. We may try to invite more than 50 people a day, but right now, the aim is going to be 50 people or so daily, so people in those 1000 are unlikely to receive invites until at least a week or so into the Closed Beta.

Might have been explained already, but why is it being released like this? Why not just launch it to everyone at the same time?

as far as im aware, this hasnt really been explained, so yeah, im wondering this too

UzI5nBc.png

Wooted by: (2)

#53 2019-09-12 20:06:52

peace

mrjawapa wrote:
Xenonetix wrote:
Luka504 wrote:

i thnk they need diffrent codes ofr everyone if like ~1-2K players opted in thats ~1-2K diffent codes and emials one mistake and they **** up which coudl cause an little breeeach comign up

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#54 2019-09-12 20:09:33

Kira

peace wrote:

i thnk they need diffrent codes ofr everyone if like ~1-2K players opted in thats ~1-2K diffent codes and emials one mistake and they **** up which coudl cause an little breeeach comign up

yeh ti takes al ong time too sned codes to everoyone hoenstly i woulndt be surpsuieded if it acutayll delysa Closed btea guses we will hvae to **** wait ands ee

#55 2019-09-14 11:51:21

Mariomaster

I bet I could literally get BETA for my Kongregate EE account (and by extension EEU access) before EEU could come out. From literally just daily rewards and campaign levels.

Wooted by:

#56 2019-09-14 12:57:31

peace

nah bro idk how manu gem su have now but i doubt that is poss unles youre pro and canbeat extreme capaigns rewardign 15 gems each

peace.png

Wooted by:

#57 2019-09-14 14:23:04

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Merged Mariomaster's thread from Game Discussion - not thread-worthy.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

#58 2019-09-14 15:12:09

peace

meanwhile lukem you still diddnt fix www. thing

peace.png

#59 2019-09-14 17:58:57

Adonis123

Xenonetix wrote:

Accounts will have Jewels and Stardust compensation from EE, and this will display to you in-game, but even though they can't be spent initially, we'll provide things for you to spend these on when we introduce the shop system at some point during the Closed Beta period!

Getting more worried that I won't get much from the compensation because of the items I've lost after breach... Still haven't got it sorted out. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/neutral

#60 2019-09-14 18:25:54

Gosha

Xenonetix wrote:

Following this, we'll be sending out emails and Kongregate inbox messages to approximately 50 people at a time out of the massive 1350 of you who have opted in to play EE Universe!

when, exactly?

#61 2019-09-14 20:24:21, last edited by Luka504 (2019-09-14 20:42:37)

Luka504

mrjawapa wrote:

I heard someone (I think it was ZeldaXD) say that if they allow too many people into the game at once, it could cause the server to overload and crash. So, to prevent it, they're only allowing in 50 people at a time.

How long will it take me to get banned again?
Place your bets right here.

#62 2019-09-14 20:30:53

peace

^ makes sense if all 1350 people loging at the same time the sever has a har dtime to read everythign lol

peace.png

#63 2019-09-14 22:25:18

Charlie59876EE

Luka504 wrote:
mrjawapa wrote:

I heard someone (I think it was ZeldaXD) say that if they allow too many people into the game at once, it could cause the server to overload and crash. So, to prevent it, they're only allowing in 50 people at a time.

xeno might want to fix that before the open beta, probably before the closed beta, because if xeno plans on advertising and making this a big game, there could be some points where it gets 500+ players or maybe even 1350 players at the same time

When your energy refills...
mfe5hE8.png

#64 2019-09-15 01:44:22

den3107

mrjawapa wrote:

It also helps with processing feedback. If you let everybody in at the same time, you'll just be spammed with that one thing that has to be fixed and nothing useful.

Generally with a project like this, you'd like take a sprint-like approach, letting people in in batches for every sprint. Weighing development speed (likely 2 weeks) vs customer demands (instant, 1 day sprints), I'd personally suggest a 1 week sprint, instead of 1 day (although you might want to stick with 1 day at first to test out server load).

With this, you drop in a batch, get some initially major bugs out of the way you might've looked over, and maybe then those players will decide (after the fixes): this is good enough. This would be because they're used to "much worse".
Next batch comes in next week, they see the game for the first time, and they'll share their desires, again, being satisfied or marking it as "good enough" once the suggestions have been processed. This cycle can then repeat itself to assure you get constant fresh minds on your project.

#65 2019-09-15 09:33:56

peace

nah 1 day is fine so you constantly get new feedback

peace.png

Wooted by:

#66 2019-09-15 15:09:57

Piotrek

I can't wait for EEU!

#67 2019-09-15 16:03:17, last edited by LukeM (2019-09-15 16:05:28)

LukeM
Website

mrjawapa wrote:

Luka504 wrote:

Charlie59876EE wrote:

xeno might want to fix that before the open beta, probably before the closed beta, because if xeno plans on advertising and making this a big game, there could be some points where it gets 500+ players or maybe even 1350 players at the same time

den3107 wrote:

It also helps with processing feedback. If you let everybody in at the same time, you'll just be spammed with that one thing that has to be fixed and nothing useful.

Generally with a project like this, you'd like take a sprint-like approach, letting people in in batches for every sprint. Weighing development speed (likely 2 weeks) vs customer demands (instant, 1 day sprints), I'd personally suggest a 1 week sprint, instead of 1 day (although you might want to stick with 1 day at first to test out server load).

With this, you drop in a batch, get some initially major bugs out of the way you might've looked over, and maybe then those players will decide (after the fixes): this is good enough. This would be because they're used to "much worse".
Next batch comes in next week, they see the game for the first time, and they'll share their desires, again, being satisfied or marking it as "good enough" once the suggestions have been processed. This cycle can then repeat itself to assure you get constant fresh minds on your project.

It's a bit of a mix of all of these, as well as a couple other things, I'll try to give a brief overview of each:

First is server power, up until now we haven't had more than a handful of concurrent players online in the alpha server, so we don't have a great idea of how many people our servers can support. In the long term our plan is to set up automatic scaling where if the servers are having a hard time coping then more can be allocated, but we haven't got to this yet so it's currently manual. We don't really want to be spending more money than we have to so we don't want to go overboard, so the best option is to test the waters so we know how many people we can handle before we let everyone in.

Linked to this is the 'first minute rush' where people will play the game a lot more when it first comes out, so if we let everyone in at once then we could have several times as many players at first, stressing our servers more than we need to.

Also, the more players we have, the more likely it is for a 'game-breaking' bug to be found causing either the servers to stop working or requiring us to shut them down while we fix things, so if everyone joined at once it wouldn't be a very good experience for anyone. It's much better to let people trickle in as we continue to make the servers more stable.

Next is the feedback, we've still got a lot to do, so we'd like to have a fairly consistent amount of feedback throughout, it doesn't really help us if 1000 people report the same bug, it just means we spend more of our time reading and responding to feedback instead of actually working on the game. Letting people in slowly means that when bugs are easy to find we don't get more reports than we can handle, and when bugs are harder to find we can ramp up the number of players helping find them.

Finally is the general atmosphere, new players generally make the game more exciting, and we don't expect to get many more beta members than we already have throughout the closed beta, so letting people in slowly generally helps to keep up a good atmosphere and keep the game is active.

As for the reason why we're letting people in every day, it's basically just because it's the easiest for us to manage, we're too small of a team and don't have a regular enough time to work on EEU for sprints to be effective, we're basically just going to be fixing bugs as we get to them, and implementing features when we've run low on bugs to fix, and for this it makes sense to have a fairly quick interval between groups of players to keep feedback consistent.

#68 2019-09-15 16:13:16

Gosha

Gosha wrote:
Xenonetix wrote:

Following this, we'll be sending out emails and Kongregate inbox messages to approximately 50 people at a time out of the massive 1350 of you who have opted in to play EE Universe!

when, exactly?

no really, when are you going to start doing this?

#69 2019-09-15 17:14:43

LukeM
Website

Gosha wrote:
Gosha wrote:
Xenonetix wrote:

when, exactly?

Xenonetix wrote:

The first invites are very likely to be sent out this month

Wooted by:

#70 2019-09-15 17:18:28

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

LukeM wrote:
Gosha wrote:
Gosha wrote:
Xenonetix wrote:

when, exactly?

Xenonetix wrote:

The first invites are very likely to be sent out this month

At any given point in time we live in "this month", so that's pretty much early 2019 in disguise //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

Wooted by: (6)

#71 2019-09-15 18:39:16

capasha

"but we have to invite people on a first-come, first-serve basis, based on when accounts have clicked "Opt In" in Everybody Edits"
Which mean the first people who clicked opt-in get first, or do I understand wrong?

Wooted by:

#72 2019-09-15 20:10:52

mikelolsuperman
Website

capasha wrote:

"but we have to invite people on a first-come, first-serve basis, based on when accounts have clicked "Opt In" in Everybody Edits"
Which mean the first people who clicked opt-in get first, or do I understand wrong?

Yes, the first 50 people who opted in get invited at day 1 so if you were to opt in now you'd have to wait a few weeks

Blue is my favourite color
BhC68b8.png

Signature made by Nebula

I also like lasagna, but not when it's blue

#73 2019-09-15 20:38:05

peace

i really wish to know aroudn what date i have to check my mail box i hate checking daily tosee an empty box o ruseless facebook stuff

peace.png

Wooted by:

#74 2019-09-15 23:58:34

capasha

mikelolsuperman wrote:
capasha wrote:

Yes, the first 50 people who opted in get invited at day 1 so if you were to opt in now you'd have to wait a few weeks

Which isn't weeks, it's months. And patreon wouldn't help either.

#75 2019-09-16 05:30:16

Kkay
Formerly Kaydog99

All people are asking for is a specific date or ballpark shot as to when the codes are sent so they aren't constantly checking mailboxes when they don't need too
Saying "this month" is almost as funny as "Early 2019" being in September, at least give them something

Wooted by:
Kikikan1602016097785088

Board footer