Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-05 03:53:27, last edited by Minisaurus (2018-11-06 16:35:58)

Minisaurus
Banned

"Jump Box" (Action Tool)

The Jump Box:
- Its gravity is centered, if you touch its gravity area, you will be pull to its center.

- It removes all movement until the player jump.

- Depending of which directional keys were pressed, the jump will be directed to that position. (For example: Right-key, jump to the right. Up-key+Right-key,  jump to the Upright, etc).

- If the player press contrary directional keys (Example: Hold Left and then also right), the Box for the direction of the jump will ignore the last directional key pressed while the initial (Firstly pressed) key is being hold.

- If no directional key was pressed while on the Box, after jumping the player will just leave the Box (As portals, when you already joined one, you won´t trigger its action again until you leave its area and touch it again).

- The Box is affected by the acquired effects.

- If no-jump effect is active, the smiley will ignore those Boxes until the no-jump effect is removed, (Same for all effects that removes or replaces a jump into another different action; The levitate effect for example).

Gif example for No-jump situation:

- If after the jump the player has not leave the action area of the Box, (As portals, when you already joined one, you won´t trigger its action again until you leave its area and touch it again).

Gif example for not leaving the action area after jump situation:

- The Box will ignore previous hold-space, the player will need to release hold-space to trigger the jump in the Box.

Gif example for hold-space situation:

_  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Additional features:
The Box could have directional restriction modes, like only allowing the player to jump in specific directions. (Could be: In one direction, or in two directions, or in three directions, or in four directions)
The Box could have a timed duration (Set to "0" for non-timed Box), after the time ends, the box will release the player, without triggering any jump.

In-game demonstration:

★              ★              ★              ★              ★              ★              ★

#2 2018-11-05 06:11:29

ILikeTofuuJoe
Website

Re: "Jump Box" (Action Tool)

Just think of the mini possibillities...

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat ~meow~ https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat
Posting Goal: 2000
#Joe Griffin
Signature
Thanks HG for the signature and avatar!!!

#3 2018-11-05 07:50:24

mikelolsuperman
Website

I don't get how it works. It's basically just a double jump but you can wait on the spot. Why not place a platform or something?

Blue is my favourite color
BhC68b8.png

Signature made by Nebula

I also like lasagna, but not when it's blue

#4 2018-11-05 08:22:24, last edited by azurepudding (2018-11-05 08:22:55)

azurepudding

mikelolsuperman wrote:

I don't get how it works. It's basically just a double jump but you can wait on the spot. Why not place a platform or something?

They sorta act as 4 platforms surrounding one tile to trap you in initially, and depending on which arrow key or letter key held down, de-activates the other 3 platforms with the tile you're on turning into the corresponding gravity arrow, but all within a single tile.

I was skeptical at first but this looks REALLY great actually.  Reminds me of the barrel cannons from Donkey Kong.  Bramble Blast!

Azure2.png

Wooted by:

#5 2018-11-05 09:54:40

Kira

★              ★              ★              ★              ★              ★              ★

what about no

#6 2018-11-05 17:53:26

mikelolsuperman
Website

azurepudding wrote:
mikelolsuperman wrote:

They sorta act as 4 platforms surrounding one tile to trap you in initially, and depending on which arrow key or letter key held down, de-activates the other 3 platforms with the tile you're on turning into the corresponding gravity arrow, but all within a single tile.

I was skeptical at first but this looks REALLY great actually.  Reminds me of the barrel cannons from Donkey Kong.  Bramble Blast!

What do you mean de-activate the other 3?

BhC68b8.png

Signature made by Nebula

#7 2018-11-05 19:50:46

azurepudding

mikelolsuperman wrote:
azurepudding wrote:
mikelolsuperman wrote:

These jump boxes behave like a set of four platforms surrounding a single tile, which would trap a smiley if one fell within.  But upon pressing jump and a directional key, it would be as if 3 of those platforms didn't exist, letting you shoot out the way you want to.  Holding up and jump would be like if you were on a bare platform, but holding right and jump would be as if you were standing on a turned platform with a left gravity arrow holding you down, shooting you to the right since you jumped.

Besides the barrel cannons from Donkey Kong, I'm now also reminded of the four-way directional pipes from Sonic Mania's Chemical Plant.

at 0:06:

at 4:35:

Azure2.png

#8 2018-11-05 19:54:46

XxAtillaxX

kind of difficult to understand all of the different types of jump boxes, let alone how insane that would be to implement

CONTENT WARNING

signature.png
*u stinky*

#9 2018-11-05 20:14:12

azurepudding

XxAtillaxX wrote:

kind of difficult to understand all of the different types of jump boxes, let alone how insane that would be to implement

CONTENT WARNING

But there's only one tho

Azure2.png

#10 2018-11-05 20:24:05

Anatoly

XxAtillaxX wrote:

CONTENT WARNING

Like azure pudding said, it's only one block which works differently if the jump/fly effects are on.

#11 2018-11-05 20:28:05

XxAtillaxX

azurepudding wrote:

But there's only one tho

lord have mercy upon whoever has to write the physics.
it just doesn't seem very intuitive, would need demonstrations for every combination and even then probably would forget which does which. gravity effect at least comes naturally

signature.png
*u stinky*

Wooted by:

#12 2018-11-05 20:29:25

mikelolsuperman
Website

azurepudding wrote:
mikelolsuperman wrote:
azurepudding wrote:
mikelolsuperman wrote:

These jump boxes behave like a set of four platforms surrounding a single tile, which would trap a smiley if one fell within.  But upon pressing jump and a directional key, it would be as if 3 of those platforms didn't exist, letting you shoot out the way you want to.  Holding up and jump would be like if you were on a bare platform, but holding right and jump would be as if you were standing on a turned platform with a left gravity arrow holding you down, shooting you to the right since you jumped.

Besides the barrel cannons from Donkey Kong, I'm now also reminded of the four-way directional pipes from Sonic Mania's Chemical Plant.

I know how the barrels in Donkey Kong games work, but I don't get what you mean with that 3 platforms. Only 1 goes away, the one that is blocking you from going the direction you're holding.

BhC68b8.png

Signature made by Nebula

#13 2018-11-05 20:47:44

azurepudding

XxAtillaxX wrote:
azurepudding wrote:

But there's only one tho

it just doesn't seem very intuitive, would need demonstrations for every combination and even then probably would forget which does which. gravity effect at least comes naturally

It came across easy enough in DK/Sonic, I think it'd be similar in EE too.

mikelolsuperman wrote:
azurepudding wrote:
mikelolsuperman wrote:
azurepudding wrote:
mikelolsuperman wrote:

I know how the barrels in Donkey Kong games work, but I don't get what you mean with that 3 platforms. Only 1 goes away, the one that is blocking you from going the direction you're holding.

Oof, look, it feels like you're being nitpicky, the side platforms don't necessarily need to be there for you to launch also.  You get what I mean.

Azure2.png

#14 2018-11-05 21:10:11

mikelolsuperman
Website

azurepudding wrote:
XxAtillaxX wrote:
azurepudding wrote:

But there's only one tho

It came across easy enough in DK/Sonic, I think it'd be similar in EE too.

mikelolsuperman wrote:
azurepudding wrote:
mikelolsuperman wrote:
azurepudding wrote:

Oof, look, it feels like you're being nitpicky, the side platforms don't necessarily need to be there for you to launch also.  You get what I mean.

I genuinly (It's probably spelled wrong) don't understand what you mean with 'you don't need the platforms' and the 3 platforms. Look here I have an image of what happens
lKrYPhN.png
On the left you see what happens if you don't move and just press space with a block to jump off of and on the right it shows what happens if I go out of godmode while standing still on the spot and try jumping. (It went inside each other so I used different colors there.)

BhC68b8.png

Signature made by Nebula

#15 2018-11-05 21:10:25

peace

ofc it wokrs diffrently with fly/jump effects as it rellys on jumping and what if you cant jump? right you will be stuck in the box for ever

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#16 2018-11-05 21:22:58, last edited by azurepudding (2018-11-05 21:23:19)

azurepudding

mikelolsuperman wrote:
azurepudding wrote:
mikelolsuperman wrote:

I genuinly (It's probably spelled wrong) don't understand what you mean with 'you don't need the platforms' and the 3 platforms. Look here I have an image of what happens
https://i.imgur.com/lKrYPhN.png
On the left you see what happens if you don't move and just press space with a block to jump off of and on the right it shows what happens if I go out of godmode while standing still on the spot and try jumping. (It went inside each other so I used different colors there.)

3rc6hda.png

The first is how it acts when initially jumping into it, the second being how it acts if pressing up and jump, then next is right and jump, down and jump, then left and jump.  The yellow platforms don't necessarily need to be there since it's one directional jumping, unless the suggestion allows diagonal jumping.

Azure2.png

Wooted by:

#17 2018-11-05 21:36:23

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

azurepudding wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/3rc6hda.png

The first is how it acts when initially jumping into it, the second being how it acts if pressing up and jump, then next is right and jump, down and jump, then left and jump.  The yellow platforms don't necessarily need to be there since it's one directional jumping, unless the suggestion allows diagonal jumping.

well thats the best way to explain it but
seems like a bit too complex mechanic for a block, dont ya think?
are there any other action blocks in EE have a similar level of complexity?

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#18 2018-11-05 21:56:29

mikelolsuperman
Website

azurepudding wrote:
mikelolsuperman wrote:
azurepudding wrote:
mikelolsuperman wrote:

Well without double jump or any kind how does removing the platform allow you to jump?

BhC68b8.png

Signature made by Nebula

#19 2018-11-05 22:24:27

azurepudding

TaskManager wrote:
azurepudding wrote:

Don't think so but don't think it's too complicated- as for jumping without a direction key held down, I'd say maybe instead of just dropping you, it should jump you in the direction of your current gravity effect.

mikelolsuperman wrote:
azurepudding wrote:
mikelolsuperman wrote:
azurepudding wrote:
mikelolsuperman wrote:

Well without double jump or any kind how does removing the platform allow you to jump?

You'd be standing on a platform, the removed platform is the ceiling holding you in.

Azure2.png

#20 2018-11-06 08:29:48

peace

lets be clear its a box you get pulled in andyou can jump in 1 or 2 directions wiht it kinda like a canon you can control the angle of and then shoot out

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#21 2018-11-06 13:21:39

Anatoly

Atilla: if you enter this box your speed will be stopped, you’ll need to jump to go on.

#22 2018-11-06 14:13:47

mikelolsuperman
Website

azurepudding wrote:
TaskManager wrote:
azurepudding wrote:

Don't think so but don't think it's too complicated- as for jumping without a direction key held down, I'd say maybe instead of just dropping you, it should jump you in the direction of your current gravity effect.

mikelolsuperman wrote:
azurepudding wrote:
mikelolsuperman wrote:
azurepudding wrote:

You'd be standing on a platform, the removed platform is the ceiling holding you in.

You said it's the 3 platforms being removed but then there's nothing to jump from if you remove the ceiling one and the other 3. 4-1-3=0 and you can't jump off of 0 blocks.

BhC68b8.png

Signature made by Nebula

#23 2018-11-06 16:06:08, last edited by Minisaurus (2018-11-06 19:17:54)

Minisaurus
Banned

Some clarifications for the comments ˄.˄
XxAtillaxX wrote:

different types of jump boxes

There is only one type of Jump Box for all its purposes.

mikelolsuperman wrote:

basically just a double jump

No, its not basically a double jump. (Jump is a very restrictive word, as this Jump Box will give the smiley an impulse to any direction of the compass [Or none, the cases are stated in the OP], I used the word "jump" to give an easy understanding of the meaning of this suggestion, but not the literal expression of it). (Only one direction of the compass per shot).

mikelolsuperman wrote:

you can't jump off of 0 blocks.

Yes you can, many different ways to accomplish that, if we are talking about to move suddenly and quickly in a specified way.

mikelolsuperman wrote:

instead of just dropping you, it should jump you in the direction of your current gravity effect.

The reason it does not jump on the current gravity orientation of the player, is because of the base logic of the Jump Box, the only way to not get a bucle while AFK on the Box, is to drop the player off after any of the situations stated on the OP

azurepudding wrote:

platforms surrounding

Not totally accurate, In this game would be a type of gravity (Not solid walls or platforms being involved) that suck the player to its very center, the player remain static in it until the player press space-bar.
Note: Barrel cannons from Donkey Kong could be recreated in EE using this suggestion, and many other game-based cannons from classic games.

#24 2018-11-06 18:27:59, last edited by mikelolsuperman (2018-11-06 18:29:53)

mikelolsuperman
Website

The message above but quoted

This is a reply to what you said on my comments:
1: I now get what you mean, it's like a gravity arrow that can go up, down, left and right by holding any arrow key or wasd to go that way. And you can restrict one or more of those like you can't jump up or jump left for example.
2: You can, but that involves double jump effect or hacks. Invisible blocks don't count since they're still there but you just don't see them.
3: What do you mean? It drops you so if your gravity is set to right it just doesn't do anything and it's like you went out of godmode on that spot. And about that, what if someone has none gravity and gets in one of these? They can still jump out but what if they are dropped but there is no place to go to unless they manually move.

BhC68b8.png

Signature made by Nebula

#25 2018-11-06 19:12:02

Minisaurus
Banned

˄ All your questions has been answered already.
Still, if you want, you can PM to me a world, we can join together and I can explain you thoughtful all your questions //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

Minimania1541605939730903

Board footer