Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-03 20:59:03, last edited by Kira (2018-10-03 21:00:41)

Kira

Future Easter Eggs

While the idea of Easter Egg sounds nice, these occasional Easter Egg you introduce from time to time to keep the players "busy" are poorly executed.

Here is why -

1. The Easter Eggs are not related to EE, infact, you have to make plenty of google searches to figure out where to start from.

2. The hints given are just too ridiculous. This isn't a community of hackers trying to solve different cipher codes and wasting time on a bunch of letters.

3. The hunt is just plain boring, and wastes more time than anything else. While the idea is good, it feels rushed. I am sure Xenonetix enjoyed seeing the players trying to solve the different riddles, but have you thought about the community a second? While a lot of us enjoys hunting for easter eggs, the actual solution is so ridiculous that it becomes luck based. Some players found the keys on their own by straight luck testing thousands of combinations. Not a lot of us have the luxury to devote hours and hours on an Easter Egg that makes absolutely no sense.

4. Using the forum to spread the hints, invisible signature. Most of your community is in game, that never even checks the forums. Some are still wondering what's going on, missing the Easter egg hunt entirely. 

5. Be patient. I understand that you staff, are excited to see the players finally solve the riddles, but for god sakes, stop answering the hundreds of questions the community asks. It just ruins the fun.

And now, how to improve and implement an interesting Easter Egg -

1. Work on it! You have the opportunity to entertain your community with secrets and such, why not use your own game to showcase an interesting Easter egg hunt? Mysteries, Npcs, clues that pops up after collecting X amount of coins to prevent EEDitor, creating levels for an interactive Easter Egg hunt, using already existing levels and hide clues inside...

2. Let the community know that you are doing an Easter egg hunt.

3. Do not give hints! Let the players discover on their own! That's the fun part about Easter eggs.

Discuss?

#2 2018-10-03 21:02:21, last edited by Vitalijus (2018-10-03 21:02:56)

Vitalijus
Website

Re: Future Easter Eggs

I never thought that I would say this but I 100% agree with Kira, these easter eggs are not fun at all (for me). Easter eggs are something we should run into, not something we should search through the whole game and having hints given by staff.
I also never thought to see a serious thread from Kira.

wn7I7Oa.png

Wooted by: (6)

#3 2018-10-03 21:19:08

Joeyc

yes i agree //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad just DONT MAKE IT 100%inG LEVELS BAD DESIGN //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/mad:mad::mad: //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/mad:mad: //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/mad

#4 2018-10-03 21:20:30

Vitalijus
Website

Joeyc wrote:

yes i agree //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad just DONT MAKE IT 100%inG LEVELS BAD DESIGN //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/mad:mad::mad: //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/mad:mad: //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/mad

Kira and Joeyc might have switched accounts?

On topic so I don't get a warning - yes I agree don't make bad levels design easter egg somewhat something

wn7I7Oa.png

Wooted by:

#5 2018-10-03 21:25:50, last edited by Trytu (2018-10-03 21:37:00)

Trytu

1. ok, i agree with that
2. 3. EEaster EEggs are added for the community and it's done truhely to cooperate peoples with themselves, and noone said that the EEaster EEgg has to be found in the small amount of time, so it's only the peoples consuming thier time on the game, but yes, some of the hints are distrancting and sometimes doesn't make sense
i loved slime smilley easter egg, it was easy, related to ee, it wasn't even mentioned, same earlier red ninja smilley, and it's ovet 9000 EEaster EEgg
4. i agree, forum is not sufficient, hint could be added to the minimal version of ee, or in the hepful links on the bottom of the page, or in the description on the kongregate, or in the EE blog, or EE patreon, or T-shirt shop  and in the game of course, but i think that on the everybodyedits.com in the description there could be something added
5. i completly agree, people need more time and hints are not necessary, but sometimes when peoples think on the easter egg, they can choose incorrect way
if they do that, staff only "could" (but not should) mention that it's not correct, but if it's just too far away from the answer
give more time if it's too hard, same as in the secret rule game on the forum

I think there should be some "unsolved" mysteries, that peoples won't even know about them, like the 29 october game borders, or mystery "in the game files there aren't any hidden gem code" message
it's the easter eggs, that gives redvard for self being

4puJMaQ.png
Thanks to Nikko99 for signature
https: //media.discordapp.net/attachments/402174325349941249/482121641745186816/KHiX2DEFewAAAABJRU5ErkJggg.png
https: //i.imgur.com/YFtzyXA.png

#6 2018-10-03 21:36:53

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

to me, the hunt was quite fun and entertaining to observe (personally i took barely any part in solving it, other than hinting at the world id)
what i did not like is that the hunt was driven pretty much exclusively by xeno's hints. the riddles were too hard and your (xeno) hints were the main fuel that propelled the hunt forward. in my opinion, the riddles should be easier, but without any hints or any help coming from the staff, that would be more fun.
the second thing that i did not like about the hunt is, obviously, the third key. not only you have to complete a hard difficulty campaign level (which excludes a good portion of the player base from the hunt), you also have to 100% it, getting all the coins.
third, each player can use each of their keys for unlocking the egg only once, allegedly. this is quite of a restriction on the choice of teammates for unlocking the egg.
speaking of which, i really hoped theres more for the reward than just a glowing egg decoration that doesnt even look so great. the graphics of the egg look rushed.
imo, this amount of effort for a single narrow-themed and not so good looking decoration is just not worth it

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

Wooted by: (3)

#7 2018-10-03 21:41:04, last edited by Luka504 (2018-10-03 21:43:49)

Luka504

In my opinion, I think this golden egg hunt was done very well. I actually kind of liked how you had to use external sources to find the answer, thus giving you a sense of exploration and discovery. That's a really powerful feeling and I believe the staff nailed it.
But man did they drop the ball when they forced you to beat ML's First Samurai just to get the stupid crystal key. It made me, and some other users, completely bail out on the otherwise fun and engaging hunt.

Also, the reward is trash. I didn't really care before, I just wanted to have it as like a memento about the fun I've had working with the community on figuring all of this out, but now I just can't observe the golden egg as anything other than an awful decoration.

How long will it take me to get banned again?
Place your bets right here.

Wooted by: (2)

#8 2018-10-03 21:55:23

Helvi

The design itself followed the ARG line which I like alot.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_reality_game

Hi.

Wooted by: (4)

#9 2018-10-03 22:06:51

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

I tried beating that samurai level, which was a real challenge with the annoying unclear art that blends all the colours together like a diarrhea mess. Confusing level design etc etc... Then to make matters worse i began lagging super hard, it was about 6-8 FPS per hour at some points, then i thought since it was campaign it would save my location if i refreshed. As i went back in my game ran with a smooth FPS... and i had 0 coins and all my progress was reset. Apparently it only saves the progress if you have beaten all 3 worlds before it and are currently "doing" that campaign level. Cue the RQ.
If i ever get that golden egg in the future i'm going to shove it up xenonetix's you know what.
NjywQ5v.png

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

Wooted by:

#10 2018-10-03 22:15:00

azurepudding

>thinks the easter egg hunt takes too much time and is too hard to figure out
>blames xeno for giving out hints now and then, to make it a little easier to figure it out

???

Also as an easter egg, it's kinda meant to be hidden.  If everyone knew about it, that kinda defeats the purpose of it being an easter egg.

Azure2.png

#11 2018-10-03 22:20:20, last edited by TaskManager (2018-10-03 22:20:38)

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

azurepudding wrote:

>blames xeno for giving out hints now and then, to make it a little easier to figure it out

???

easier riddles and no additional hints from xeno/staff is better than nearly impossible riddles and constant hints from xeno/staff
think of it like this:
the former is playing through a medium-hard campaign level on your own and the latter is playing through insane difficulty level where you barely can do anything but xeno teleports you across the minigames every now and then

azurepudding wrote:

Also as an easter egg, it's kinda meant to be hidden.  If everyone knew about it, that kinda defeats the purpose of it being an easter egg.

its literally the opposite of being hidden in the current implementation

i8SwC8p.png

Wooted by:

#12 2018-10-03 22:28:22, last edited by azurepudding (2018-10-03 22:29:19)

azurepudding

TaskManager wrote:
azurepudding wrote:

???

easier riddles and no additional hints from xeno/staff is better than nearly impossible riddles and constant hints from xeno/staff
think of it like this:
the former is playing through a medium-hard campaign level on your own and the latter is playing through insane difficulty level where you barely can do anything but xeno teleports you across the minigames every now and then

azurepudding wrote:

its literally the opposite of being hidden in the current implementation

I don't think that's quite the same thing.  Knowledge can be shared, so if a riddle is easy enough for some, it'll be solved very quickly and shared with everyone else.  Like the PC NPC only took like a day or two to solve, right?  But with this more difficult easter egg hunt, it's actually been at least a week now, right?  Point is, if it's easy enough it's hardly an easter egg for long, but if it's harder to figure out, while it will ultimately be shared for everyone to find out, it'll at least be a mystery for more than a day or two.

And how is it?  As far as I know, there's no in-game message about the eater egg hunt.  The only way to know about it is if someone tells you about it, which can't be prevented.  EDIT: Or to stumble upon a key by pure luck.

Azure2.png

#13 2018-10-03 22:44:35

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

azurepudding wrote:

I don't think that's quite the same thing.  Knowledge can be shared, so if a riddle is easy enough for some, it'll be solved very quickly and shared with everyone else.  Like the PC NPC only took like a day or two to solve, right?  But with this more difficult easter egg hunt, it's actually been at least a week now, right?  Point is, if it's easy enough it's hardly an easter egg for long, but if it's harder to figure out, while it will ultimately be shared for everyone to find out, it'll at least be a mystery for more than a day or two.

PC took more than "a day or two to solve", bold of you to make that approximation
the only reason this one took a week is that there were hints and leaks posted regularly, without those it'd take waaay longer. and im saying that it'd be better dropping the riddles difficulty a bit and not posting hints/leaks to balance that out

azurepudding wrote:

And how is it?  As far as I know, there's no in-game message about the eater egg hunt.  The only way to know about it is if someone tells you about it, which can't be prevented.  EDIT: Or to stumble upon a key by pure luck.

>people analyzing game files after each update instantly raised the alarm
>xeno's hint posts in the thread
>xeno's in game notifications

i8SwC8p.png

#14 2018-10-03 22:56:36

Kira

Xeno wooting every posts against the idea shows long where we're headed

Wooted by: (4)

#15 2018-10-03 23:08:50, last edited by azurepudding (2018-10-03 23:09:59)

azurepudding

TaskManager wrote:
azurepudding wrote:

PC took more than "a day or two to solve", bold of you to make that approximation
the only reason this one took a week is that there were hints and leaks posted regularly, without those it'd take waaay longer. and im saying that it'd be better dropping the riddles difficulty a bit and not posting hints/leaks to balance that out

azurepudding wrote:

>people analyzing game files after each update instantly raised the alarm
>xeno's hint posts in the thread
>xeno's in game notifications

But didn't it take that long?  Maybe 2 or 3 days then?  It wasn't a long quest of clues like this one.

And I don't know about you, but some of these hints were very open-ended and ambiguous.  "There can only be one" for example, I thought involved the Bruce NPC.

As this hunt is heavily inspired by Ready Player One, which was a very difficult easter egg hunt, I think this one was just difficult enough.  IIRC in the movie they go months between keys?

And, again, there is no way to prevent people from sharing information, so that's not a fair fault to point out.  I do not recall any in-game notifications either, besides when you actually find a key.  I don't think Xeno's been spreading any hints anywhere BUT threads and worlds specifically made to discuss/find the keys also.

Kira wrote:

Xeno wooting every posts against the idea shows long where we're headed

Probably because a lot of time went into making this easter egg hunt just for people to complain as always.  Your idea doesn't seem much different from the current easter egg hunt itself even- except about sharing hints, but I thought you were just going on about how these hunts take way too much time that most of us don't have, so I'm very confused here.  You claim the hunt takes too long, yet want the hunt to last at the same time. 

I get that people wanna actually figure out these egg hunts, but if they're too easy then they're hardly hunts at all, but if made difficult enough, the hunt can actually last for a good amount of time.  Ultimately either way, the answers are gonna get leaked.  You can't prevent people from sharing this info, it's just how it is.

Azure2.png

#16 2018-10-03 23:15:09

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

I think this one was honestly pretty good - the WOW hint should've been found somewhere ingame, or perhaps in hidden text in the update forum post, but everything else seems reasonably solvable from there without extra hints.

Basically, xeno give way less hints next time. its fine to take a few months to find the easter egg.

suddenly random sig change

#17 2018-10-03 23:21:10

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

azurepudding wrote:

But didn't it take that long?  Maybe 2 or 3 days then?  It wasn't a long quest of clues like this one.

And I don't know about you, but some of these hints were very open-ended and ambiguous.  "There can only be one" for example, I thought involved the Bruce NPC.

As this hunt is heavily inspired by Ready Player One, which was a very difficult easter egg hunt, I think this one was just difficult enough.  IIRC in the movie they go months between keys?

smh are you actually going to tie a time period from a movie to a time period in ee
im not opposed to a hunt that takes two weeks or maybe more, but less and slightly easier, riddles (not the keys, the amount of stages being 3 is imo just right) and less hints, get it??

azurepudding wrote:

And, again, there is no way to prevent people from sharing information, so that's not a fair fault to point out.  I do not recall any in-game notifications either, besides when you actually find a key.  I don't think Xeno's been spreading any hints anywhere BUT threads and worlds specifically made to discuss/find the keys also.

literally look in the hunt thread, there are chat and "Notification from XENONETIX" screenshots

azurepudding wrote:

worlds specifically made to discuss/find the keys also.

really lol

i8SwC8p.png

#18 2018-10-03 23:35:23

azurepudding

TaskManager wrote:
azurepudding wrote:

smh are you actually going to tie a time period from a movie to a time period in ee
im not opposed to a hunt that takes two weeks or maybe more, but less and slightly easier, riddles (not the keys, the amount of stages being 3 is imo just right) and less hints, get it??

azurepudding wrote:

literally look in the hunt thread, there are chat and "Notification from XENONETIX" screenshots

azurepudding wrote:

worlds specifically made to discuss/find the keys also.

really lol

Yes because it was inspired by it, and it's only been days in EE.  Nothing wrong with a longer hunt tho.

Less hints would mean easier answers.  The hints seem to build off of each other so they actually prolong the hunt in a sense.  Rather than a quick 1 step riddle, it's 5 steps spread across a few days.  Maybe artificially lengthening the hunt, but it ensures it won't be solved in literally one day with someone with a lot of free time.

I looked but I don't wanna go through a dozen pages clicking every single hot link so could you just link it

And yeah.

Azure2.png

#19 2018-10-04 00:44:31

Joeyc

NorwegianboyEE wrote:

I tried beating that samurai level, which was a real challenge with the annoying unclear art that blends all the colours together like a diarrhea mess. Confusing level design etc etc... Then to make matters worse i began lagging super hard, it was about 6-8 FPS per hour at some points, then i thought since it was campaign it would save my location if i refreshed. As i went back in my game ran with a smooth FPS... and i had 0 coins and all my progress was reset. Apparently it only saves the progress if you have beaten all 3 worlds before it and are currently "doing" that campaign level. Cue the RQ.
If i ever get that golden egg in the future i'm going to shove it up xenonetix's you know what.
https://i.imgur.com/NjywQ5v.png

i got it, time to shove //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

#20 2018-10-04 06:04:42

Freckleface

The main problem my team faced was that it was basically to continue on without xenos hints. We had a fairly large lead on everyone else for the copper key (thanks to tiralmo) but were unable to advance anymore. Forcing us to wait until xeno caught up to us with the hints. Truly the best method to solve this easter egg hunt was to wait until the last key before making an attempt.

F

#21 2018-10-04 06:36:59

Joeyc

Freckleface wrote:

The main problem my team faced was that it was basically to continue on without xenos hints. We had a fairly large lead on everyone else for the copper key (thanks to tiralmo) but were unable to advance anymore. Forcing us to wait until xeno caught up to us with the hints. Truly the best method to solve this easter egg hunt was to wait until the last key before making an attempt.

main problem your team faced was keeping everything secret. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad

Wooted by:

#22 2018-10-04 06:46:04

peace

Kira wrote:

While the idea of Easter Egg sounds nice, these occasional Easter Egg you introduce from time to time to keep the players "busy" are poorly executed.

Here is why -

1. The Easter Eggs are not related to EE, infact, you have to make plenty of google searches to figure out where to start from.

2. The hints given are just too ridiculous. This isn't a community of hackers trying to solve different cipher codes and wasting time on a bunch of letters.

3. The hunt is just plain boring, and wastes more time than anything else. While the idea is good, it feels rushed. I am sure Xenonetix enjoyed seeing the players trying to solve the different riddles, but have you thought about the community a second? While a lot of us enjoys hunting for easter eggs, the actual solution is so ridiculous that it becomes luck based. Some players found the keys on their own by straight luck testing thousands of combinations. Not a lot of us have the luxury to devote hours and hours on an Easter Egg that makes absolutely no sense.

4. Using the forum to spread the hints, invisible signature. Most of your community is in game, that never even checks the forums. Some are still wondering what's going on, missing the Easter egg hunt entirely. 

5. Be patient. I understand that you staff, are excited to see the players finally solve the riddles, but for god sakes, stop answering the hundreds of questions the community asks. It just ruins the fun.

And now, how to improve and implement an interesting Easter Egg -

1. Work on it! You have the opportunity to entertain your community with secrets and such, why not use your own game to showcase an interesting Easter egg hunt? Mysteries, Npcs, clues that pops up after collecting X amount of coins to prevent EEDitor, creating levels for an interactive Easter Egg hunt, using already existing levels and hide clues inside...

2. Let the community know that you are doing an Easter egg hunt.

3. Do not give hints! Let the players discover on their own! That's the fun part about Easter eggs.

Discuss?

if you don tliek ti dot play it

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

Wooted by:

#23 2018-10-04 07:22:04

Luka504

peace wrote:

if you don tliek ti dot play it

"don't like it don't play it" is a sad argument that people use to shelter something from deserved criticism.
By using it you're directly telling the staff that it's okay to be mediocre, even though they can be better.

How long will it take me to get banned again?
Place your bets right here.

Wooted by: (2)

#24 2018-10-04 14:29:26

MWstudios

No, I like hints
and if staff wouldn't say any hints after Vitalijus discovered the easter egg,
how long could they stay speechless with everyone begging for hints? I prefer hints.

Vitalijus wrote:

I never thought that I would say this but I 100% agree with Kira, these easter eggs are not fun at all (for me). Easter eggs are something we should run into, not something we should search through the whole game and having hints given by staff.
I also never thought to see a serious thread from Kira.

>Kira finally posts real content
>gets banned for spam

Time before becoming a Member - Leaderboard
1. Whirl - 9 months
2. KirbyKareem - 8 months
3. pwnzor - 2.4 months
4. MWstudios - 2 months
5. ILikeTofuuJoe - 1.5 months
giphy.gif Piskel is the best GIF maker I've seen
HG's signature for me - Anatoly's signature for me
The Mashed Potatoes Song - The longest post on EE forums - Play my Minesweeper

#25 2018-10-04 20:18:34

Kaleb
Formerly Kaleb123

I agree, don’t @ ME BUT I LOVED THE IDEA OF IT, though as well not all Easter eggs are meant to be stumbled upon by accident, they are meant for people who are just curious to search the game itself IMO. Sorry not sorry. someone who

cpcrabs1538729464727339

Board footer