Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-21 19:48:54

Raphe9000

What the rEEboot should leave behind

I keep hearing about what the Everybody Edits Reboot should keep from fans who are too paranoid to lose some key gameplay elements. I'm not entirely immune to this, hoping more than anything I can keep my Fanboy I, but I think we should also be suggesting what the reboot leaves behind from the original game. Because of this, I compiled a list of gameplay features that I believe should be left behind or changed:

1. Current world sizes
This has already been discussed by staff, but I'd add my 2 cents. Personally, I think worlds are too small, and, if the concept of buying different sizes stays, the sizes should all be increased. In the more likely scenario that you can set world sizes, I think it would be logical to sell a world that costs more for a bigger area, but also selling a world with more area than would ever be used (like Omega worlds) is just as viable as an option.

2. Colors of switches
The current colors of switches are kind of confusing at a first glance, as they don't have any sense of coherence. I thought a few options that could work were:
Yellow & Purple Coins, Blue & Orange numbered gates, black and white timer gates, and red & green + and - gates.
Also, it would make sense to abandon the color aspect for purple & orange gates, so they are a single color with something that distinguishes them, though I think maybe a combination of the 2 ideas could work best.

3. Amount of Useless Blocks
Everybody Edits has so many blocks that it can get overwhelming, but that doesn't change that a block you really need in a world doesn't exist. Because of this, I believe the game should ditch most of the blocks, keeping the ones left more simple and clean, and adding blocks with more interpretations and variety instead.

4. Graphic Diversion
What I mean by this is how the game's blocks lack a distinct art style. Of course all blocks are 16x16, but some look realistic, some look unrealistic, and some just look like they don't belong. Because of this, I think the reboot should establish a strictly consistent art style. A good example of how different blocks and backgrounds can be (for the bad) is just comparing the brick, candy, construction, stone, environment, industrial, and jungle packs. There's not much of a common theme between any two of them.

5. Way content is locked.
We all know everybody edits needs to make money and that it doesn't make as much as it used to, but I think what you have to buy may actually be a reason why this is the case. It is 100% fine locking a new block pack behind a steep price or making NPCs energy sinks, but I think locking so many effects and other actions behind the shop hinders a new player's experience. It's true that too much can overwhelm a player, but tutorials and maybe even an unlock system through pure block use can easily combat that. It's then the more complicated and less needed actions that you buy, such as world portals, ice, and zombie/team doors and gates.

6. Variety of smileys
Everybody Edits has a ton of smileys, and this helps give players their own individuality while also making roleplaying very easy. The issue is that it starts to get absurd at a point. For example, who uses the head hunter, turban, and clockwork robot smileys frequently? While it is great to have so many for a player to choose from, it does, like discussed in the last point, make the shop more intimidating and less acceptable to a new player. Because of this, I believe only popular smileys and smileys with distinct personalities, purposes, and meanings should stay. On top of this, a smiley customizer or 'skin shop' with certain features locked could maybe help. The only specific smileys would be magic, campaign prizes, and event prizes.

Wooted by: (4)

#2 2018-06-22 17:07:16, last edited by Xenonetix (2018-06-22 17:10:27)

Xenonetix
Past Owner
Website

Re: What the rEEboot should leave behind

Raphe9000 wrote:

1. Current world sizes
This has already been discussed by staff, but I'd add my 2 cents. Personally, I think worlds are too small, and, if the concept of buying different sizes stays, the sizes should all be increased. In the more likely scenario that you can set world sizes, I think it would be logical to sell a world that costs more for a bigger area, but also selling a world with more area than would ever be used (like Omega worlds) is just as viable as an option.

The current plan for world 'size' is that it won't cost anything, and you would just purchase "worlds", which would have some sort of default size (probably 200x200), but you get to choose the size of world yourself when you buy the world. It may be possible to change the world size after purchase, but it's too early to tell. If you want your world to be 187x393, you'll be able to select that! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Raphe9000 wrote:

2. Colors of switches
The current colors of switches are kind of confusing at a first glance, as they don't have any sense of coherence. I thought a few options that could work were:
Yellow & Purple Coins, Blue & Orange numbered gates, black and white timer gates, and red & green + and - gates.
Also, it would make sense to abandon the color aspect for purple & orange gates, so they are a single color with something that distinguishes them, though I think maybe a combination of the 2 ideas could work best.

We haven't decided exactly the way we'll be handling the switches, doors, and gates yet, but the one thing I'm sure of is that any of these doors and gates won't have a minimap colour. That's all I can really comment on regarding these currently.

Raphe9000 wrote:

Everybody Edits has so many blocks that it can get overwhelming, but that doesn't change that a block you really need in a world doesn't exist. Because of this, I believe the game should ditch most of the blocks, keeping the ones left more simple and clean, and adding blocks with more interpretations and variety instead.

This is something that I know will concern much of the community, but it's true. We are planning on cutting down the existing range of blocks, but the blocks kept may well include more versatility. For the most part, there'll at least be close substitution options which would avoid ruining the nature of existing worlds if people wanted to move their worlds over to the reboot. Again, can't go into much more detail about this yet.

Raphe9000 wrote:

4. Graphic Diversion
What I mean by this is how the game's blocks lack a distinct art style. Of course all blocks are 16x16, but some look realistic, some look unrealistic, and some just look like they don't belong. Because of this, I think the reboot should establish a strictly consistent art style. A good example of how different blocks and backgrounds can be (for the bad) is just comparing the brick, candy, construction, stone, environment, industrial, and jungle packs. There's not much of a common theme between any two of them.

This is an overall consideration, and comes into play when considering which blocks to remove. Sorry to anyone who likes them, but I think it's time to say goodbye to the Carnival pack, described as "eye-rape" by so many people. In many instances, we want to return to the relative simplicity in style, so blocks such as Basic, Beta (even though they may not still be called Beta), and Plastic are some examples of packs likely to be maintained. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Raphe9000 wrote:

We all know everybody edits needs to make money and that it doesn't make as much as it used to, but I think what you have to buy may actually be a reason why this is the case. It is 100% fine locking a new block pack behind a steep price or making NPCs energy sinks, but I think locking so many effects and other actions behind the shop hinders a new player's experience. It's true that too much can overwhelm a player, but tutorials and maybe even an unlock system through pure block use can easily combat that. It's then the more complicated and less needed actions that you buy, such as world portals, ice, and zombie/team doors and gates.

With the natural reduction of blocks available, this also means there'll be a natural reduction in the number of packs to purchase.

I'd be interested in hearing the community's view on this (and I haven't even discussed it with staff, so the team will probably be annoyed with me for posting it directly here), but IF energy is kept as a currency system, I've been considering the possibility of, rather than have so many options to purchase things with the premium currency (gems), an alternative would be to spend money on reducing the Energy Regeneration Counter (or the ERC as I call it (as of just now)), so it might start by default at 3 minutes, and then people can pay certain amounts of money to reduce it to 2:30, 2 minutes, and 1:30 (permanently). I thought this would be a simpler way for asking for monetary support where people want to do so and gain the advantage of regenerating energy over shorter periods of time, and the energy can then be used to purchase (almost) all of the items.

I do not plan on implementing this in the current version of the game - This is purely an idea for the reboot at this stage, but isn't guaranteed.

Raphe9000 wrote:

6. Variety of smileys
Everybody Edits has a ton of smileys, and this helps give players their own individuality while also making roleplaying very easy. The issue is that it starts to get absurd at a point. For example, who uses the head hunter, turban, and clockwork robot smileys frequently? While it is great to have so many for a player to choose from, it does, like discussed in the last point, make the shop more intimidating and less acceptable to a new player. Because of this, I believe only popular smileys and smileys with distinct personalities, purposes, and meanings should stay. On top of this, a smiley customizer or 'skin shop' with certain features locked could maybe help. The only specific smileys would be magic, campaign prizes, and event prizes.

Sadly, this is the one subject I can say nothing about at all at this stage.

Xenonetix_2.png

#3 2018-06-22 17:31:36

Vitalijus
Website

Xenonetix wrote:
Raphe9000 wrote:

1. Current world sizes

The current plan for world 'size' is that it won't cost anything, and you would just purchase "worlds", which would have some sort of default size (probably 200x200), but you get to choose the size of world yourself when you buy the world. It may be possible to change the world size after purchase, but it's too early to tell. If you want your world to be 187x393, you'll be able to select that! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Raphe9000 wrote:

2. Colors of switches

We haven't decided exactly the way we'll be handling the switches, doors, and gates yet, but the one thing I'm sure of is that any of these doors and gates won't have a minimap colour. That's all I can really comment on regarding these currently.

Raphe9000 wrote:

This is something that I know will concern much of the community, but it's true. We are planning on cutting down the existing range of blocks, but the blocks kept may well include more versatility. For the most part, there'll at least be close substitution options which would avoid ruining the nature of existing worlds if people wanted to move their worlds over to the reboot. Again, can't go into much more detail about this yet.

Raphe9000 wrote:

4. Graphic Diversion

This is an overall consideration, and comes into play when considering which blocks to remove. Sorry to anyone who likes them, but I think it's time to say goodbye to the Carnival pack, described as "eye-rape" by so many people. In many instances, we want to return to the relative simplicity in style, so blocks such as Basic, Beta (even though they may not still be called Beta), and Plastic are some examples of packs likely to be maintained. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Raphe9000 wrote:

With the natural reduction of blocks available, this also means there'll be a natural reduction in the number of packs to purchase.

I'd be interested in hearing the community's view on this (and I haven't even discussed it with staff, so the team will probably be annoyed with me for posting it directly here), but IF energy is kept as a currency system, I've been considering the possibility of, rather than have so many options to purchase things with the premium currency (gems), an alternative would be to spend money on reducing the Energy Regeneration Counter (or the ERC as I call it (as of just now)), so it might start by default at 3 minutes, and then people can pay certain amounts of money to reduce it to 2:30, 2 minutes, and 1:30 (permanently). I thought this would be a simpler way for asking for monetary support where people want to do so and gain the advantage of regenerating energy over shorter periods of time, and the energy can then be used to purchase (almost) all of the items.

I do not plan on implementing this in the current version of the game - This is purely an idea for the reboot at this stage, but isn't guaranteed.

Raphe9000 wrote:

6. Variety of smileys

Sadly, this is the one subject I can say nothing about at all at this stage.

That means 2019 = 2011, and it's perfect!

wn7I7Oa.png

Wooted by:

#4 2018-06-22 17:49:54

Raphe9000

Xenonetix wrote:
Xeno's Reply

One thing I've always desperately wanted in EE is the ability to revisit the classic game in a modern light, as it is very obvious to many of us that where the game was going changed with each owner. I really admire you and your team's mindset of cautious innovation and listening to the fans but not to the detriment of the game. I think I'm more confident of the rEEboot being great more than I've ever been across talks of it among different owners & the community. I understand what it is going to leave behind is a touchy subject among the community, but it has come to my realization that we want too much to stay. As always, props for the honesty & transparency.

#5 2018-06-22 22:13:16

peace

nice selection world sizes switches should be kept butcan be recoded/get new ghrapic carnival has some nic ebg and some a bit usseless bgs checkered and green bg are 2 bgs i use most out of that pack

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#6 2018-06-22 23:03:26

shadowda

Xenonetix wrote:

switches, doors, and gates yet, but the one thing I'm sure of is that any of these doors and gates won't have a minimap colour

why no color on the mini map for theses blocks? seems like an interesting choice, and i wonder what your reason is for it.

color = #1E1E1E       

latest?cb=20150604065609

#7 2018-06-22 23:07:46

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

shadowda wrote:
Xenonetix wrote:

switches, doors, and gates yet, but the one thing I'm sure of is that any of these doors and gates won't have a minimap colour

why no color on the mini map for theses blocks? seems like an interesting choice, and i wonder what your reason is for it.

It's unfortunate, since showing flipped doors and gates as different colors on the minimap has a lot of potential.

Everybody Edits is Fred

Wooted by:

#8 2018-06-23 00:30:23, last edited by mutantdevle (2018-06-23 00:38:57)

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

Personally, I have no problem at all with the number of smileys we have. I honestly don't see the problem with having smileys that are barely used (they still get used sometimes //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue). I think the issue of 'too many smileys' is more a fault of the smiley selector which could definitely use a lot of improvement and how they are all presented in the shop.

For the shop, a better way for smileys to be laid out, in my opinion, would be to have them in equal sized grids rather than a list. Then when you click on the smiley, it gets larger and you can click the add energy button. If you currently have energy on a smiley, then there should be a little blue bar under it.

Something like this:
Bln9iw7.png
QTedGxc.png
But obviously better quality and all the different smileys.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

Wooted by: (2)

#9 2018-06-23 00:55:47

Xenonetix
Past Owner
Website

shadowda wrote:
Xenonetix wrote:

Primarily because they're designed as gameplay tools rather than art assets, so people don't feel 'forced' to incorporate them into their art if they wish to use them for their gameplay. Instead, whatever the background colour behind the doors and gates would show on the minimap instead, so effectively, they would act the same as most decorations currently do. This would also apply to crowns, keys, and almost all doors and gates.

Again, this isn't a change that's planned for the current version of the game at all, but only for the reboot. If you're worried about losing the minimap colour, I'd simply recommend placing the closest equivalent background colours behind any of the items, but that's something I think people could relatively easily fix quite quickly after transferring their levels to the reboot.

Xenonetix_2.png

Wooted by: (2)

#10 2018-06-23 10:37:58

peace

mutantdevle wrote:

Personally, I have no problem at all with the number of smileys we have. I honestly don't see the problem with having smileys that are barely used (they still get used sometimes //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue). I think the issue of 'too many smileys' is more a fault of the smiley selector which could definitely use a lot of improvement and how they are all presented in the shop.

For the shop, a better way for smileys to be laid out, in my opinion, would be to have them in equal sized grids rather than a list. Then when you click on the smiley, it gets larger and you can click the add energy button. If you currently have energy on a smiley, then there should be a little blue bar under it.

Something like this:
https://i.imgur.com/Bln9iw7.png
https://i.imgur.com/QTedGxc.png
But obviously better quality and all the different smileys.

4K energy for bigspender? im in //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#11 2018-06-23 16:14:05

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Xenonetix wrote:
shadowda wrote:
Xenonetix wrote:

Primarily because they're designed as gameplay tools rather than art assets, so people don't feel 'forced' to incorporate them into their art if they wish to use them for their gameplay. Instead, whatever the background colour behind the doors and gates would show on the minimap instead, so effectively, they would act the same as most decorations currently do. This would also apply to crowns, keys, and almost all doors and gates.

Again, this isn't a change that's planned for the current version of the game at all, but only for the reboot. If you're worried about losing the minimap colour, I'd simply recommend placing the closest equivalent background colours behind any of the items, but that's something I think people could relatively easily fix quite quickly after transferring their levels to the reboot.

Do you think there could be any possible way to have an automatically changing minimap? I feel this is pretty important. If doors and gates couldn't do it, I'm not sure what could.

Everybody Edits is Fred

Wooted by:
N1KF1529766845710948

Board footer