Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-06-10 21:05:25

lex
Brand New Member

Re: Should the bible be labelled as fantasy/science fiction?

I think the right section should be somewhere between philosophy and self-help sections.

Religion is what stops stupid, violent people from ruining the world. Sometimes it backfires but I think it has value in general. When any religious institution has too much power the wrong kinda people become attracted to those institutions, but I feel that can be said about any institution with too much power.

I'ma ramble about my religion/spirituality for a bit, so feel free to ignore the rest if that bores you. Sorry if the writing gets a little clumsy, I tend to get over-exited when I write about this stuff. I'm ignostic. This basically means "god" is very complicated concept that means different things to different people, and in general that debating about the existence of god is pointless. But what does exist is the idea of god. Some people fear god's punishment(heaven/hell, karma for example) and that leads them to do good deeds.
I truly believe one of the most unique aspects that separate humans from animals is the ability to create metaphors. Language is a metaphor. The actuality of the entire universe is simply beyond what the human mind can process, so in an attempt to understand(and stop existential dread) humans have created many metaphors for what the hell is going on in this world.
While I am a believer in science before anything else, I believe the universe is god. Just going from an abrhamaic point of view God is omnipresent:the universe is everything. god is all knowing: the universe contains and is made up of all things that know, therefore all knowledge had, is had by the universe. god is inside of us: we are not separate from the universe, we are a living part of it. Life(and humanity) are gifts of the universe(and therefor god) because the laws of physics(god) made it possible here on earth. From the first cell to now life is a legacy that we are apart of(god connects us). The legacy of life is evolving complexity and understanding. Once humans evolved we gained the ability of language which allows us to pass understanding from one to another. Writing allowed us to store information without what our minds are capable of, and now computers boost our ability to understand and remember more every day. The story of humanity beginning with the very first single-cell organism has been the universe(god) trying to understand more about itself.

You can think of god as the universe, big and all-encompassing. The holy spirit can be life itself, the fact that all things are related and well, alive. Jesus is humanity, life today in 2018 is easier because of the sacrifices made by our ancestors. All the major conflicts and discoveries of history have given us a world nicer than the world of the past. and even today people are working hard at new technology that people will take for granted in 100 years. At the end of the day I think almost all religion boils down to "there is a big picture than your individual life".

I say all this because while I disagree with serious religious people in many ways I find the fact that they understand there is something bigger than us as a way to connect to them. I cannot tolerate those whose religion justifies actions bad for humanity or life. The "fix" for these toxic people is not poking fun at them though, they clearly have some form of convictions that can be appealed to, even if they have lost a lot of reason/logic.

Some day I will be allowed to put a pic in my signature.... if only I knew when.

#27 2018-06-11 00:55:36, last edited by Norwee (2018-06-11 00:59:58)

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

Different55 wrote:

And there it is, the cherry on top.

Yeah because you cherry-picked the quotes for your low-hanging fruit of an insult.

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

Wooted by:

#28 2018-06-11 01:08:35

Different55
Forum Admin

NorwegianboyEE wrote:
Different55 wrote:

And there it is, the cherry on top.

Yeah because you cherry-picked the quotes for your low-hanging fruit of an insult.

There was no point replying to anything else, you completely missed the point and went on a euphoric rant about how you were enlightened by your own intelligence.

Putting the bible in a fiction section serves no purpose other than a circlejerk. You won't convince anyone that way.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

Wooted by: (4)

#29 2018-06-11 02:44:39, last edited by Different55 (2018-06-11 03:10:26)

Kira

To each their own. Sooner or later we will all realize who our true god is. That's right.

It's

ya

boi

nicktoot.png

#30 2018-06-11 07:46:03, last edited by azurepudding (2018-06-11 07:47:36)

azurepudding

AK712 wrote:

no acknowledged classics/history department at any university in the world would argue that the New Testament is historically inaccurate, and in fact you can visit any university and ask them yourselves, and you would get the same answer - the New Testament is historically reliable without question.

i beg to differ

The book is filled to the brim of inconsistencies not just with history and science, but with itself (Sun created on the fourth day [despite needing the Sun for days to begin with] and the Sun existing on day one as well, as a quick one).  A lot of them thought the Earth was flat, but we now know this isn't true (though there are still folks who still believe it is).  Needless to say, if they couldn't understand how the world works, then why would one agree with their explanations over modern day science? 

We can disprove the existence of the christian god, but we cannot disprove the existence of -a- god (or gods), however.  I think a lot of people are able to overlook things because their faith brings them comfort.  I mean, the concept of nonexistence after death is a scary one.  But we can't live in ignorance, knowledge is the way forward, and when evidence disproves stories thousands of years old, we shouldn't dismiss it due to wishful thinking.

That said, while I do think the bible technically falls under fantasy, perhaps as a story based on (some) possibly true events, I know it would upset those who still believe in it.  Maybe in the distant future seeing that religion is on the decline, but not now.

Azure2.png

Wooted by:

#31 2018-06-11 22:51:08

Koto

I agree with the above.  I believe Jesus was a real person, and many people looked up to him/follow him, but he was not the sun of god.  He was just the person that has reached the highest level of enlightenment that any other person has ever achieved (Buddhism).

#32 2018-06-12 18:53:51

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

NorwegianboyEE wrote:

It’s not magic for christians Different55, it’s inherent truth to them. What i cannot understand is why someone that lives in an logical world where fact requires evidence, are perfectly accepting of whatevers said in the bible.

Some of my beliefs don't need evidence. I don't have any evidence to argue that helping another person is good, but I believe it so deeply because I feel it's true, and without that I would feel more empty. Likewise, when I follow what the Bible teaches, I find that my life is more fulfilling.

We can't put personal beliefs to a scientific test, otherwise we miss the whole point. Logic for the sake of logic does not work, just like a house without a door.

Rather than us thinking "So god created Adam and Eve" Why don’t we think: "Why does god exist at all? Does he need to exist? Why does god have so many human features in an inhuman world? Can rocks feel sadness? Can the universe feel pain? Why would an "human" higher being exist rather than maybe some kind of sentient gas cloud?

People can reject the belief of a personal God, but it doesn't mean people need one any less. People will look for something to guide them, whether it be society, money, other people, or personal desires. In my experience, following my own wants and comforts just makes me anxious overall, even if it makes me happy for a moment.

Biblically speaking, humans were created in the image of God. We can think, feel, and act with God. Through following Jesus's teachings, we strengthen this bond, and with the Holy Spirit we become more like Jesus, who is part of God Himself. Rocks are not special creations of God.

By the way, imagery of God in the Bible varies from human to really abstract. He doesn't exist in physical space except as Jesus, and humans can't see God. His true form could be a gas cloud for all we know.

So what is not based on environment? What is universal for people of all cultures? Science.

Science is a way at looking at the physical world. What you are saying is the physical world and how we see it is what we have in common. That's true, but people and their actions are part of our physical world. Our live are things all of us can relate to in some way. Science does not measure life on a personal level which we very much need.

Our personal view is the only way we can look at life. If we can't trust that, what can we trust? How we feel about science? If so, you're going outside of science, and that's okay.

#33 2018-06-24 10:54:32

HeyNK

Some of my beliefs don't need evidence. I don't have any evidence to argue that helping another person is good, but I believe it so deeply because I feel it's true, and without that I would feel more empty.

I think I know what you mean but be careful. Every belief has a justification / argument whether you know it or not. And you should slowly be learning these things.

#34 2018-06-25 00:58:44

soniiiety

the bible does have some science facts, but it is not a science text book.

soniiiety1529884724711219

Board footer