Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-24 15:15:11

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

Null.Mov effect.

This won't get added because nothing ever does but I've had this idea for a while and I'm sure others have also thought of it from time to time so I'm here to suggest it.

We already have the double jump effect preventing you from jumping when reduced to 0, what what if you could restrict players from more than just jumping?

Basically how this effect block works is you choose from the options 'up', 'down', 'left' and 'right' (enable and disable for each).

When you have Null.Mov.Up you will not be able to move up. If you try to then your keyboard will explode due to the viruses EE is secretly installing on your computer.

When you have Null.Mov.Left you will not be able to move left.

You get the idea.

Open this spoiler if you don't get the idea:

Hidden text

The different Null.Mov effects can be combined for even more limited movement.

So what are the uses of this effect? Well here are some I thought of earlier:
- Trolling.
- Confusing new players even more.
- Interesting new gameplay.
- Can be used as a random number mechanic in machines.
- Preventing people from moving.
- Force people to follow a certain path.
- Can act as if there are 1 way blocks everywhere.
- Adds to the mess that is EE.

So hopefully someone from the future is reading over this idea when EE is saved and is slightly considering it? No? Okay well to all current readers: you have wasted you time, thanks, bye.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

Wooted by:

#2 2017-07-24 15:19:26, last edited by SmittyW (2017-07-24 15:23:18)

SmittyW

Re: Null.Mov effect.

I like this idea. Here's a quick mock-up of what the effect block could look like:
TICHMIS.png

#3 2017-07-24 15:19:29, last edited by LukeM (2017-07-24 15:25:58)

LukeM
Website

Just a quick tip:
To make the names more understandable, dont use 'programmer speech' when you dont need to, it just overcomplicates things (especially when the said 'programmer speech' doesnt make much sense in the first place //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue), and you can just as easily describe it in 'normal person speech', e.g. "No move effect", or "No left" etc

Edit: Also, I just realised that this idea would be really useful for switch machines //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile as it would allow for more compact designs that dont need to allow for players pressing arrow keys (which is really annoying sometimes)

Wooted by: (4)

#4 2017-07-24 15:31:22

Anatoly

Devlin wrote:

So what are the uses of this effect? Well here are some I thought of earlier:
- Trolling.

No.

#5 2017-07-24 16:08:20

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

destroyer123 wrote:

Just a quick tip:
To make the names more understandable, dont use 'programmer speech' when you dont need to, it just overcomplicates things (especially when the said 'programmer speech' doesnt make much sense in the first place //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue), and you can just as easily describe it in 'normal person speech', e.g. "No move effect", or "No left" etc

Edit: Also, I just realised that this idea would be really useful for switch machines //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile as it would allow for more compact designs that dont need to allow for players pressing arrow keys (which is really annoying sometimes)

Switch machines is my main motive for wanting this idea //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue Also I used programmer speech because "no movement effect" sounded too long and stupid to me.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#6 2017-07-24 18:42:53

skullz17

Reminds me of a world I saw a while ago for a contest. You could only run forwards and if you tried to go back, you would die. They used invisible portals to make this mechanic (which I never figured out how to replicate) but this suggestion would make it a lot easier.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#7 2017-07-24 19:16:33

Latif

skullz17 wrote:

Reminds me of a world I saw a while ago for a contest. You could only run forwards and if you tried to go back, you would die. They used invisible portals to make this mechanic (which I never figured out how to replicate) but this suggestion would make it a lot easier.

The secret is revealed
pzNlN_lITnujDQnpzX1_vA.png

Wooted by:

#8 2017-07-24 19:42:41

skullz17

Latif wrote:
skullz17 wrote:

The secret is revealed
https://image.prntscr.com/image/pzNlN_l … zX1_vA.png

So the portals that are 3->4 don't work if you're moving right? That's weird, but pretty cool.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#9 2017-07-24 21:03:20

Latif

skullz17 wrote:
Latif wrote:
skullz17 wrote:

The secret is revealed
https://image.prntscr.com/image/pzNlN_l … zX1_vA.png

So the portals that are 3->4 don't work if you're moving right? That's weird, but pretty cool.

It's because of the 1 > 2 portal. When you hit a portal it disables all other portals until you stop colliding with the portal. I think it's to prevent teleporting back from the target portal when you get teleported to it. There's no portal with the id 2 so it won't teleport you.

Wooted by: (2)

#10 2017-07-24 21:47:27

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

Couldn't you just have the first portals you touch as 0 -> 0 and the second ones you touch 0 -> 1 where 1 is on the spikes. Surely that means there are less redundant Id's? Also even though this portal method is nice it doesn't fill all the roles of the idea. Those portals basically act as fat one way spikes; which still has it's uses.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#11 2017-07-24 22:02:05

Latif

Devlin wrote:

Couldn't you just have the first portals you touch as 0 -> 0 and the second ones you touch 0 -> 1 where 1 is on the spikes. Surely that means there are less redundant Id's? Also even though this portal method is nice it doesn't fill all the roles of the idea. Those portals basically act as fat one way spikes; which still has it's uses.

Doesn't work, if the id is the same as the target it doesn't disable the other portals. They have to be different.

Btw this effect makes the game more complicated so I'm not sure if it should be added, I'm not saying that the idea is bad, it's good. I actually suggest the staff (if they're still alive) to show a balloon above effect blocks which says what effect it is.

#12 2017-07-24 22:07:36

Xfrogman43

skullz17 wrote:

was also in nsfw easter island for the secret part

zsbu6Xm.png thanks zoey aaaaaaaaaaaand thanks latif for the avatar

Xfrogman431500930456669337

Board footer