Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-06 20:39:37, last edited by iPwner (2017-05-06 20:40:38)

iPwner
Website

[Request] Archive of Worlds as They Were at a Prior Point in Time

Not recently, that wouldn't help... I mean like early 2016, 2015, or 2014, or prior. Does someone out there have any "archive" of world data as they were in the past (1 year+)? Also, if there isn't any, is there a way to get the data of a world from prior saves? Thanks.

ssAARASAAAAAAAAA  iAAAAAAAAAAAAA OU yaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAA YAAAaa YAAaah; yaayaayaa, yayayaya-ya-ya YAAA YAAAYA; YAYAYA YAAHAYAhAAAAAAAAAA 

EPIOOOOOUUUUUUuuuuuu   IUO0O0oooooooooooppi

;3 0>o ~X_x~ <~(^V^)~> (); ;B ;~; *~<:',',',',',{ Q=(*@`)Q

Im A ®a®ity ®

#2 2017-05-06 20:47:14

capasha

Re: [Request] Archive of Worlds as They Were at a Prior Point in Time

iPwner wrote:

Not recently, that wouldn't help... I mean like early 2016, 2015, or 2014, or prior. Does someone out there have any "archive" of world data as they were in the past (1 year+)? Also, if there isn't any, is there a way to get the data of a world from prior saves? Thanks.

Atilla have backups.

#3 2017-05-07 01:36:07, last edited by XxAtillaxX (2017-05-07 01:37:35)

XxAtillaxX

I've stored every world in Everybody Edits in 2015-2016, and have been storing snapshots of every world since.
You can access these snapshots of your worlds via the World Service room in the lobby, which is always online.

I'd highly recommend following the sign, leading to the repository where the source code as well as synchronization tool executable is located.
The synchronization tool is designed such that it doesn't require updates to handle new blocks, and shouldn't need to for the foreseeable future.

signature.png
*u stinky*

Wooted by:

#4 2017-05-08 00:25:00, last edited by iPwner (2017-05-08 00:30:14)

iPwner
Website

capasha wrote:

helpful

atilla wrote:

helpful

wow thas helpful thaymks ;D The only thing is that the world I want to access is of jeffreyshi1345's, he copied over a snowy level of mine to his profile, but deleted it in 2016 and replaced it with a boost afk for some reason... It'd be cool to get snapshots of other people's worlds too. So theoretically one would put a level ID onto a tool, and it would provide all available previous snapshots of the level? And this wouldn't infringe on the "ownership" law, as it's essentially just an archive.

ssAARASAAAAAAAAA  iAAAAAAAAAAAAA OU yaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAA YAAAaa YAAaah; yaayaayaa, yayayaya-ya-ya YAAA YAAAYA; YAYAYA YAAHAYAhAAAAAAAAAA 

EPIOOOOOUUUUUUuuuuuu   IUO0O0oooooooooooppi

;3 0>o ~X_x~ <~(^V^)~> (); ;B ;~; *~<:',',',',',{ Q=(*@`)Q

Im A ®a®ity ®

Wooted by:

#5 2017-05-17 18:30:18

XxAtillaxX

Yikes. I've recently become aware of a few issues relating to exports in the World Service bot-assisted room.
Unfortunately, it's not entirely clear what the primary cause is, given the relatively smooth functionality for months prior.

I'd just like to inform anyone reading this topic that the service will be temporarily offline during maintenance.
It's not entirely a huge concern however, given the archival process will persist in the background in the meantime.

I've been looking forward to allocating some amount of time towards the archive, towards a web-based preview and synchronization client.
I'm unable to conceptualize any potential downsides to publicly releasing the entirety of the data-set, so if anyone is interested I may do so.

The archive currently contains over a million worlds (...yes, really) spanning several years.
It's of course stored in a non-binary format (JSON) so it's fairly easy to create statistics or perform analytical tidbits on it.

In addition, if anyone is willing to store copies of the archive (I'm thinking seeding a torrent.) - it would be most helpful.
I'm currently storing the archives on a up-to 20 gigabit hosting service, and I should be capable of harnessing it as a seed.

The current archive totals around ~25 GB uncompressed.

signature.png
*u stinky*

Wooted by:

#6 2017-05-17 19:38:55, last edited by LukeM (2017-05-17 19:39:16)

LukeM
Website

If you could convert the files into some other format which takes up less space, you could use things like google drive as a backup
Im sure that there are loads of ways to compress world data, and I might look into some soon, if that 25GB could be decreased to something more managable like 1GB (probably fairly easy) then it would probably be easier to upload / download / transfer backups (and probably cheaper too)

#7 2017-05-17 22:32:03

den3107

I think currently it would be best to per default store it as compressed as possible, meaning it'd be a bit file.
Then when people'd like to run analytics they'd have to decompress it with a supplied too.

The tool should be able to decompress single worlds, a list of worlds or all the worlds, since each batch could have their own use.

#8 2017-05-17 23:42:09

LukeM
Website

den3107 wrote:

The tool should be able to decompress single worlds, a list of worlds or all the worlds, since each batch could have their own use.

You would only need to have it able to decompress one world, then you could just run it for each to decompress multiple (its not a good idea to have multiple worlds in one file)

#9 2017-05-18 08:22:50, last edited by XxAtillaxX (2017-05-18 08:25:16)

XxAtillaxX

The compressed archive is  significantly less, below 5 GB.

To clarify, the format won't be changed as it is a direct conversion between Player.IO database objects and JSON which ensures replicability without introducing any additional ****.

signature.png
*u stinky*

#10 2017-05-18 08:50:36

LukeM
Website

I wasn't thinking of changing the format you save them in, just having some 'backups' format where you could store them somewhere else (for free) as well just incase

#11 2017-05-18 10:20:26

XxAtillaxX

Well, in the past I've participated in large file sharing repositories with BT Sync which has since been bought off.

If there were a viable alternative to this I'd be interested in developing an architecture on top which would effectively accomplish a permanent persistent archive rather than relying on a single point.

I do not wish to create compressed volumes as it takes far too much time to enumerate and compress a million files 5 KB on average.

signature.png
*u stinky*

XxAtillaxX1495099226660222

Board footer