Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 2015-08-09 01:56:07

Abelysk

Re: [Going Home] Announcement & General Discussion

nlmdejonge wrote:

1. 700 gems

WOW.

Wooted by: (3)

#27 2015-08-09 02:00:25

MIHB_casts_confuseplayer

Interesting competition.  The requirements are a bit too stringent for me alas, but I hope it produces some great entries.

Wooted by: (2)

#28 2015-08-09 02:00:35

nlmdejonge

222Hockey222 wrote:
nlmdejonge wrote:

- The level may NOT have a size 25x25 or 50x50. (A big world is not necessarily better than a smaller world. As a comparison, some really good films are 1.5 hours long and would not necessarily be better if they were 3 hours long; maybe they would be worse.)

You say you don't want small or medium sized worlds, then proceed to argue that smaller worlds are better? Does this still mean large world+?

Not 25x25 or 50x50, that's all that's important there. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

The rest of the text - the analogy - is meant for people who are wondering if using, for example, a Huge World (300x300) means a higher chance to win than using, for example, a Large World (100x100). It's the same, because it's not the size that counts but what you do with it. Quality over quantity. One might argue that this means 50x50 (and even 25x25) should be allowed, but in practice I think it's safe to say that there's simply not enough space in those to work with. Having said that, I'm not a judge for this contest (only the organizer), so in the end all that's important is: not 25x25 or 50x50. The text inside the parentheses is basically my opinion (subjective). I hope this clears it up a bit.

I have permanently left the game and forum.
EE is an entertaining game and I enjoyed playing it...
...but it's time for me to move on.

#29 2015-08-09 02:30:55

Krosis
Formerly Arkonagames
Website

make a question but i think you don't read it, so i'll be saying this again.
Why do the world need to don't have gravity arrows? it make the possiblility of gameplay much wrost, why not just let the players use gravity arrows but not the invisible ones? i never have seen a world that is really good and dosen't use any kind of arrows, they are the best and most used action on the game and i think if the staff remove it from the game many people including me would stop playing

Krosis.gif

#30 2015-08-09 03:30:23

Lictor666

I'll probably participate, what happenned if we can't be here during the submission period ? Can I send you the level before ? (If yes it's like two or three days before)

#31 2015-08-09 03:44:31

nlmdejonge

Oh, yeah, I missed that one, Arkonagames.

Arkonagames wrote:

oh, and... can we know why the world must don't have arrows or invisible dots?

The artificial restrictions, like not being allowed to use arrows, are used to cultivate creativity and to provide a challenge that fundamentally differs from previous level design contests. Part of that challenge for contestants is to search for alternatives and freedom within a more restricted framework, and with a more limited set of tools. Each contest/competition has its own challenges. This contest removes minimap art as a challenge, for example, but adds a challenge by disallowing usage of arrows. All just obstacles, all just "dragons that we can take on". Instead of a regular sprint, there are obstacles on the running track; suddenly we're hurdling. Another sport, but still a competition with challenges and winners.

Lictor666 wrote:

what happenned if we can't be here during the submission period ? Can I send you the level before ?

Sure, I'll then add it to the submissions thread on August 22nd.
(Please, only for contestants who really can't post it themselves.)

Wooted by:

#32 2015-08-09 04:46:06

imgood9

222Hockey222 wrote:
nlmdejonge wrote:

- The level may NOT have a size 25x25 or 50x50. (A big world is not necessarily better than a smaller world. As a comparison, some really good films are 1.5 hours long and would not necessarily be better if they were 3 hours long; maybe they would be worse.)

You say you don't want small or medium sized worlds, then proceed to argue that smaller worlds are better? Does this still mean large world+?

I think he meant that while larger worlds (i.e. huge and great) are allowed, it does not mean that they're better than smaller worlds (such as large or wide) for the purposes of this contest.

To be fair a 25x25 and a 50x50 would be too small to portray this theme well. You could try to, but it would be difficult.

Wooted by:

#33 2015-08-09 06:31:11

tak4n

Can we place signs before every "challenge" to tell a story? I am definitely signing up because I have an amazing idea for a concept that I want to bring to life. However, signs would be quite important for this concept to tell a story.

signature3_zpsttrhtmyh.png

#34 2015-08-09 07:16:12

BEE

This theme is frustrating me to no end because the typical literary theme is a "home - away - home" pattern, not an "away -> home" line. I can work with it, but the story is essentially cut in half.

I also dislike how generic the word "building" is. A building is a structure with a roof and walls, so if I have a ruined building with no roof would I be disqualified? If I have a structure that is not conventionally seen as a building, would I be disqualified?

The rule about signs confuses me as well. I can't place signs outside the start/end, but can I teleport the player back there to read a sign or would that disqualify me? Too many odd restrictions only generates more questions than answers for me. Can you at least explain the reasoning behind the rules that way I can interpret whether or not I am violating them when I try to get creative with my level?

If you don't wnt to reveal these answers publicly, can you at least message me the answers?

Custom Tab: Forum Post|Trello

Thanks Xen for my Avatar and Smitty for the smiley 47BA5lq.png

#35 2015-08-09 07:39:40

Tamashiimizu

Even though I like these restrictions, I agree with Bee
What if (for example) 40% of my map it's inside the initial building, and another 40% is inside the home? 80% (or more) of the world would have signs.
Also, can the player return to the initial building?
Can they be teleported back just to show some text from signs? If you're limiting the ability to show text (for whatever reason), can we still write with blocks outside the building/home?

I think these are natural questions, because if I enter this contest, I certainly don't want to spend 1 month on something to be disqualified for something like that.

#36 2015-08-09 07:51:09

BEE

True, Tamashii, I could literally have two buildings one block away from each other and riddle my world with signs, as long as they are not in the small strip between the buildings. I could have huge jungles inside of the rooms in the building, and since it is in the building, it could still count as being able to have signs, right? If I enter another part of the level through a room inside the building, does that count as being inside the building or not? This rule in particular is confusing and I do not want to be disqualified for misinterpreting it.

Wooted by:

#37 2015-08-09 10:07:11

Thanel

Are admins allowed to participate? I would like to team up and create something.

#38 2015-08-09 10:13:22

Lictor666

@BEE : Personally I like the theme, not this one in particularity, but have contraints can be better to create. It becomes a challenge to see how the rules can be bypassed while respecting them.
The Tamashiimizu's proposition is a great example, you made me laught and I'm jealous to not having thought. A level 99% made of this "building" can be a really fun to do the level !

#39 2015-08-09 10:31:05, last edited by nlmdejonge (2015-08-09 11:00:54)

nlmdejonge

BEE wrote:

if I have a ruined building with no roof would I be disqualified?

Think of an imaginary tipping point, if you're moving away from what is conventionally seen as a building; at some point you'll say "Sorry, this is no longer a building." A ruined building is still conventionally seen as a building. Wikipedia has a list of buildings: the starting building could even be a house, although not the end-house (since it's "not the player's home"). See also my related answer below.

BEE wrote:

Can you at least explain the reasoning behind the rules

I think this post might help.
It goes into the artificial restrictions.

Generally speaking, I hope you will embrace the restrictions. What I mean by that is to also look at the spirit and not just the letter of the level requirements. There is still a lot of freedom left, even without navigating on the very edge of what's technically allowed and what's not.

Also - but, just as a side note - as you can see in the Contest Team section I'm not a judge for this contest. As the organizer, a large chunk of what I'm doing is 'guarding' the level requirements and contest rules. If your level is created on the aforementioned edge of what is allowed, then I will not disqualify you(r level), but your level will have to convince the judges that whatever naughty choices you made were justified.

Thanel wrote:

Are admins allowed to participate?

Other than the judges and organizer, everyone may participate, including admins. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

tak4n wrote:

Can we place signs before every "challenge" to tell a story?

Signs are only allowed inside the building and house.

#40 2015-08-09 13:07:33, last edited by Pyromaniac (2015-08-09 13:09:42)

Pyromaniac
Official Caroler

Bee- personally, and I can't say for the other judges since we're still talking about how we want to judge the levels, I wouldnt mind if there were different takes on a building. I might actually prefer that. I guess as long as it's a home/starting building that tracks logically with the theme of your level (using your example, like a ruined home for an apocalyptic theme or something) you'll be fine, at least with me.

Wooted by:

#41 2015-08-09 13:58:58

Rainbow_Dash
Banned
Website

Bee, do you have... uhh, a huge world? Because there is a big (high I mean) chance we'll win.

Disclaimer: This account was created by AntonioS300 and 3 other members I don't know. I didn't evade a ban, because, my friend wants to use this account for some reason.

#42 2015-08-09 16:25:17

Anch

Wait so can the player exit the starting building and come back to read another sign?

#43 2015-08-09 16:42:04

BEE

So if the rules were created to be a challenge, I will take on that challenge and twist it to my will; there are plenty of loopholes in these constraints. While in theory, I dislike and disagree with artificial difficulty, as there are plenty of other ways to make something difficult, I suppose I really don't have much choice in the matter here so I will just have to have fun with it.

I guess the question is, what is going to be judged? No point in me expending energy on cleverly twisting the restraint challenge to my own ideas if that won't even be judged.

Wooted by:

#44 2015-08-09 17:00:05, last edited by nlmdejonge (2015-08-09 17:02:10)

nlmdejonge

anch159 wrote:

Wait so can the player exit the starting building and come back to read another sign?

Per the level requirements/contest rules, what you describe is allowed.
This means you are allowed to do what you describe.
If that's what you feel you cannot live without. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

Please read on though. It goes against the spirit (intent) of the level requirements. Those describe a player leaving a building that can contain signs, some kind of journey, and the arrival in a home that can contain signs. Using, for example, a portal to temporarily move players into the start building to show a sign is (technically) not against the level requirements. The EE admins have access to regular text that they could use, which is also (technically) not against the level requirements. However, the related requirements basically try to push contestants into a direction of expressing things with in-game visuals. Instead of text. Instead of the usual emphasis on minimap art. So, it's a push in that/another direction. At the end of the day, as the contest organizer I'm only making sure that your level abides by the level requirements (and contest rules). It will be up to the judges to tell us all what are the best levels.

#45 2015-08-09 17:15:44, last edited by Gosha (2015-08-09 17:16:02)

Gosha

i have a question : can i do in the beginig sign with : Choose difficlty (Easy/hard), and after this teleport player ay home

#46 2015-08-09 17:22:01

nlmdejonge

Goshanoob wrote:

i have a question : can i do in the beginig sign with : Choose difficlty (Easy/hard), and after this teleport player ay home

No.

nlmdejonge wrote:

- If a player chooses the easy way (chooses to makes the trip easier), then the player should still visit the same locations as the other (regular) players.

#47 2015-08-09 17:27:57

Gosha

nlmdejonge wrote:
Goshanoob wrote:

No.

nlmdejonge wrote:

- If a player chooses the easy way (chooses to makes the trip easier), then the player should still visit the same locations as the other (regular) players.

i mean, they will be at the same locations, they just do their choce not in the house

#48 2015-08-09 17:33:48

Krosis
Formerly Arkonagames
Website

I have a good idea to make, but it will need some signs on the way, can i place a portal that leads to a sign? like the toop's and badoosh's worlds?

Krosis.gif

#49 2015-08-09 17:41:43

nlmdejonge

Arkonagames wrote:

it will need some signs on the way, can i place a portal that leads to a sign?

Please see my reply here.
(Remember, don't put any signs outside the start building or end house.)

Goshanoob wrote:

i mean, they will be at the same locations, they just do their choce not in the house

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean...

#50 2015-08-09 17:51:51, last edited by Gosha (2015-08-09 17:58:13)

Gosha

Goshanoob wrote:

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean...

i mean look at this :
l0-5DAOGSPs.jpg
portals are going to the beginig (house)
can i do this choce outside the house?

AmdS1441833709540436

Board footer