Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 2015-08-12 20:33:51

andsrt500

Re: Full Screen & Vision Blocker

Tomkazaz wrote:
Onjit wrote:

Would the vision blockers require a enclosed area?

Yes, my friend, the key words are closed polygonal chain. Of course, we can always start from rectangles if the admins find it hard to program.

If you place the blocks in the shape of an open chain, they would simply look like this image.png.

what happens you have turned off god mode and if vision blocker area wasn't enclosed?

That was the most stupidest thing I have seen -prodigy5996
ROAD TO 1000 POSTS:
600---700---800---900---1000
Last edited by Everybody_Edits (Jan 33 3333 3:33:37 pm)

#27 2015-08-12 20:41:45

skullz17

andsrt500 wrote:
Tomkazaz wrote:
Onjit wrote:

Would the vision blockers require a enclosed area?

Yes, my friend, the key words are closed polygonal chain. Of course, we can always start from rectangles if the admins find it hard to program.

If you place the blocks in the shape of an open chain, they would simply look like this image.png.

what happens you have turned off god mode and if vision blocker area wasn't enclosed?

Would probably just act like invisible blocks, or act like they aren't there at all

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#28 2015-08-12 21:24:56

Kirby

This is cool, but I imagine it would be difficult to program, as maybe if you made a weird shape, it wouldn't know what's inside the shape and what's outside.

Just a thought. Maybe you would be forced to make it a rectangle, or the blocks would change red and it wouldn't work?

#29 2015-08-14 15:37:19

skullz17

What if you made a donut shape? Would it just change which part is visible depending here the player is? So if the player is in the ring, the ring area would be visible, but if they were in the hole, that area would be visible, but if they were outside the donut completely then the whole donut would be invisible.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#30 2015-08-28 13:25:41

Joshua708

EE needs something like this, Vision blockers would be SO useful, especially for minigames because then you could make a vision blocker around every minigame and make portals, making it less easier to worry about the other minigames, Good idea.

Hey look a bunch of stats about me
browser-chrome-blue.svg visual%20studio-community%202017-7D3BC4.svg windows-10-brightgreen.svg download-70%20mbps-blue.svg upload-10%20mbps-blue.svg

ram-16%20gb-green.svg Processor-Intel%20i5--5200U-green.svg Graphics-Intel%20HD%20Graphics%205500-green.svg

kyK5VkB.png

#31 2015-11-04 09:54:19

nlmdejonge

Shameless bump.

Can Nou or someone else from the staff comment on whether any of the suggestions in this thread to block vision are feasible from a technical perspective?

I would like to contribute another method that I believe would be very easy to use: an effect block that turns vision beyond walls on/off. This would mean level creators could create whatever shape they wanted to and only needed one block to make everything outside that shape invisible.

I have permanently left the game and forum.
EE is an entertaining game and I enjoyed playing it...
...but it's time for me to move on.

Wooted by: (3)

#32 2015-11-05 15:20:35, last edited by Nou (2015-11-05 15:31:44)

Nou

We are aware that the full screen mode isn't particularly great right now; it just stretches into a pixelated mess. That's because it's currently still in flash.
As you are probably aware, we're in the process of slowly porting EE to unity. We already have a sort of functional version, and it's smooth as hell.

This is relevant because it makes it easier to implement such a thing from a technical perspective when doing it in unity, plus it has a lot less impact on PC performance. We have a lot of stuff left on the planning before we focus all our attention on unity as well.

I've thought about this a lot and I still can't decide yet. I've used the full screen version with a lot more stuff visible, but it really changes the feel of the game, which is something I don't particularly want.

My findings so far is that it makes the game feel a lot slower and smaller, despite everything actually being the same size.

The vision blockers is a solution but not the solution in my opinion, because lots of stuff would have to be changed retroactively to create the same feel.
In addition, the same feel wouldn't return completely, because what you can't see in the screenshots is the empty space around it, which really changes the perspective and feel:

QvLgDZ2.png

Currently, my preference would be to create higher resolution graphics to keep the same feel, while simply looking better. However, this is not something we've had the time for yet, perhaps it turns out to be bad as well.
We will try this, but it currently doesn't have high priority due to the sheer amount of stuff left on the planning. Somewhere around January we will most likely focus on the unity client, and we'll make a decision around that time as well.

Separate from the full screen issue, vision blockers could still be a cool addition to the game.

No u.

#33 2015-11-05 16:30:16

ZeldaXD
EE Homeboy
Website

Nou wrote:

As you are probably aware, we're in the process of slowly porting EE to unity.

Why do you move EE from a cancerous platform to another even more cancerous platform

gLjTZE1.png

Wooted by: (5)

#34 2015-11-05 17:18:24

lrussell
Website

Nou wrote:

We are aware that the full screen mode isn't particularly great right now; it just stretches into a pixelated mess. That's because it's currently still in flash.
As you are probably aware, we're in the process of slowly porting EE to unity. We already have a sort of functional version, and it's smooth as hell.

http://strawpoll.me/5927025/r
Please. no. Unity.

#35 2015-11-05 17:55:22, last edited by AmdS (2015-11-05 17:56:21)

AmdS
Website

lrussell wrote:
Nou wrote:

Please. no. Unity.

Well, I don't know any of these "things" called Java, HTML5, Flash or Unity, but I would like EE to pass in HTML5. The reason is because I saw the client that xJeex made, and it looks very nice. I would like to HTML 5.

Anyway, can someone explain to me what really Unity is? Sorry, but I don't know programming or other. And yes, I've already played Unity games.

#36 2015-11-05 19:05:54, last edited by Krosis (2015-11-05 19:07:31)

Krosis
Formerly Arkonagames
Website

AmdS wrote:
lrussell wrote:
Nou wrote:

Please. no. Unity.

Well, I don't know any of these "things" called Java, HTML5, Flash or Unity, but I would like EE to pass in HTML5. The reason is because I saw the client that xJeex made, and it looks very nice. I would like to HTML 5.

Anyway, can someone explain to me what really Unity is? Sorry, but I don't know programming or other. And yes, I've already played Unity games.

unity is a webplayer, it's pretty lagged and cpu hog

Krosis.gif

#37 2015-11-05 19:11:28

rgl32

Arkonagames wrote:
AmdS wrote:
lrussell wrote:
Nou wrote:

Please. no. Unity.

unity is a webplayer, it's pretty lagged and cpu hog

Not to mention google chrome doesn't support it anymore, that isolates quite a bit of people, HTML5 would probably be the best way to go.

Wooted by: (4)

#38 2015-11-05 19:50:46

some woman

add-on suggestions:
1. the minimap only shows the part you're in (unless you're in godmode)
2. an effect block that disables the blocking of vision and allows you to see the whole minimap
3. a world setting that always allows you to see the full minimap
4. the world border counts as a vision blocker

10 years and still awkward. Keep it up, baby!

Wooted by:

#39 2015-11-06 08:07:30

nlmdejonge

Clearly some of you folks do not fully understand what Unity is.
Unity is a cross-platform game engine that can deploy to a very wide range of platforms.
It can not just run in browsers via plug-ins, it can also run as a standalone application.
It can create native applications on all the main platforms: desktop (Windows, OS X and Linux), console (Xbox, Wii U, PlayStation, etc.), mobile (iOS, Android, etc.) and more.
Some games you may know that use Unity are Rochard, Guns of Icarus Online, Electronic Super Joy, Rust, Wasteland 2, Cities: Skylines, Kerbal Space Program and Pillars of Eternity.
Chrome deprecating/rejecting the NPAPI API that the Unity Web Player uses doesn't matter, because Unity 5 can now deploy to WebGL.
Unity is a fine pick and it's great to know that EE is being modernized that way, it must be a massive undertaking.
I bet if everything works out the game will play smoother than ever and I'm happy the developers are working on this transition.

I have permanently left the game and forum.
EE is an entertaining game and I enjoyed playing it...
...but it's time for me to move on.

Wooted by: (6)

#40 2015-11-06 21:20:05

Era

The good thing about this is that it would work for every resolution, as opposed to modeling a world after a fixed window.

#41 2015-11-12 00:04:14

shadowda

this could be so useful for making levels with invisible portals in stead of having to center each room so they are surrounded by dark blocks you could use these to hide the outside.

color = #1E1E1E       

latest?cb=20150604065609

Wooted by:

#42 2015-11-12 02:10:20

I like this idea, I could use this for something special that I have in mind... <insert evil laugh here>

Despite what people say, Different55 is the best mod.

#43 2015-11-12 02:37:55

shadowda

what if you added a jumper. ie you put it on either end of an opening and as long as they on the same axis and have the same id it would close the vision as if there were vision blocker between them 

Hidden text

color = #1E1E1E       

latest?cb=20150604065609

#44 2015-11-13 14:48:53

Prodigy

This would be a nice idea but like what do you actually want to do with it?

h0qIF0q.png

Wooted by:

#45 2015-11-13 21:01:13

shadowda

Prodigy5996 wrote:

This would be a nice idea but like what do you actually want to do with it?

hide stuff.

color = #1E1E1E       

latest?cb=20150604065609

#46 2016-01-22 19:02:02

TiKen

Is it gravedigging or golddigging when bumping such a thread?
The vision blocker is probably one of the best idea since the invention of portal and would require little work on the algorithmic side: simple region-growing with an easy yes/no condition (I can provide that). It has the advantage of being pretty fast and you can even compute the different regions when the map is loaded so you would just have to create the black masks to hide what's supposed to be hidden. if you ungod in a block? Well, either you decide you can see both ways, or nothing. That's just a hard coded rule to decide, nothing fancy!
Adding a new block will IF YOU ARE CLOSING THE FIRST REGION AND IN THE WORST CASE SCENARIO have to recheck all the block in the map. In the normal case, you ONLY have to check the blocks in the smaller region. Then, everything will be confined to the region you are in.

Checking all the blocks on a 300x300 map, with Matlab and a VERY BADLY optimized code took me 3secondes. And when I write VERY BADLY, I mean it: I have unnecessary operations (to switch from linear index to 2D indexes and vice versa), I am reallocating the array EVERY time because I am not using an adapted data structure, etc etc...

Once the region is defined, you don't even need to check every time to see in which region you are: just when you are teleported! So it is a very light charge while playing!

This feature could be easily implemented and would be an awesome game changer by optimizing the space required to create these awesome maps (e.g.: the Square & Co). And as said, I can provide the algorithms necessary...

#47 2016-02-23 00:38:02

Prodigy

TiKen wrote:

Is it gravedigging or golddigging when bumping such a thread?
The vision blocker is probably one of the best idea since the invention of portal and would require little work on the algorithmic side: simple region-growing with an easy yes/no condition (I can provide that). It has the advantage of being pretty fast and you can even compute the different regions when the map is loaded so you would just have to create the black masks to hide what's supposed to be hidden. if you ungod in a block? Well, either you decide you can see both ways, or nothing. That's just a hard coded rule to decide, nothing fancy!
Adding a new block will IF YOU ARE CLOSING THE FIRST REGION AND IN THE WORST CASE SCENARIO have to recheck all the block in the map. In the normal case, you ONLY have to check the blocks in the smaller region. Then, everything will be confined to the region you are in.

Checking all the blocks on a 300x300 map, with Matlab and a VERY BADLY optimized code took me 3secondes. And when I write VERY BADLY, I mean it: I have unnecessary operations (to switch from linear index to 2D indexes and vice versa), I am reallocating the array EVERY time because I am not using an adapted data structure, etc etc...

Once the region is defined, you don't even need to check every time to see in which region you are: just when you are teleported! So it is a very light charge while playing!

This feature could be easily implemented and would be an awesome game changer by optimizing the space required to create these awesome maps (e.g.: the Square & Co). And as said, I can provide the algorithms necessary...

Gravedigging and I like the vision blocker and the fact that you gravedig on birthday

h0qIF0q.png

#48 2016-02-23 11:21:30

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Nou wrote:

Separate from the full screen issue, vision blockers could still be a cool addition to the game.

yes pls //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile
whats the current situation with this stuff? it is still possible we will have vision blockers?

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#49 2016-02-23 16:02:11

Koya
Fabulous Member

maxi123 wrote:
Nou wrote:

yes pls //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile
whats the current situation with this stuff? it is still possible we will have vision blockers?

You know you aren't going to get a response you'll be happy with; the staff have definitely seen it and Nou seems to like it - you can make your own conclusion.

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

I stack my signatures rather than delete them so I don't lose them
giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

#50 2016-02-23 17:29:50, last edited by Processor (2016-02-23 20:09:06)

TiKen

Tomkazaz wrote:

@TiKen That sounds like a great idea. I appreciate you taking the initiative and making such generous offers on behalf of improving the game!

Sorry for the late reply, I've been... busy. I saw TiKen's post and was filled with hope of my suggestion becoming reality. So there you go, admins, mods, whoever runs this game nowadays. You are now put to the test. Provided with a simple solution to a lot of problems on a silver platter, the decision is up to you. You can only hope TiKen's proposal is still valid.

Still valid. (I have lots of work so I won't be able to do it in less than a week, but yeah, it's still valid)

SirJosh39171532608495716256

Board footer