Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 2015-04-15 22:25:07

Abelysk

Re: Found an interesting shortcut to show usernames

Thanel wrote:
some man wrote:

How about if you click on the person's username again it resets to your view?

Possibly doable. Should I make it like this?

Yes.

#27 2015-04-15 22:33:10, last edited by BEE (2015-04-15 22:33:41)

BEE

Thanel wrote:
some man wrote:

No because then I have to remember who I am spectating and find their name again, a terror in a world full of people.

Just let us friend ourselves so our own name appears at the top of the list. Isn't that the easiest option in terms of coding?

Custom Tab: Forum Post|Trello

Thanks Xen for my Avatar and Smitty for the smiley 47BA5lq.png

#28 2015-04-15 22:39:25

Thanel

That wouldn't be a replacement but addition. I think the best idea is to add spectating deactivation button/icon that appears when you spectate someone. That's a task for a later update though.
For now the easiest way to exit spectating will be to use /spec command without arguments.
I don't like the idea of having myself at the top of the list.

#29 2015-04-15 22:46:16

Abelysk

BEE wrote:
Thanel wrote:
some man wrote:

No because then I have to remember who I am spectating and find their name again, a terror in a world full of people.

Just let us friend ourselves so our own name appears at the top of the list. Isn't that the easiest option in terms of coding?

Maybe the name should be highlighted blue while being spectated?

#30 2015-04-15 22:46:21

P788

BEE wrote:
Thanel wrote:
some man wrote:

No it's not a terror, you just have to click on anyone's username twice to reset, if the way of resetting some man said gets implemented.

#31 2015-04-15 22:48:40

Different55
Forum Admin

P788 wrote:
BEE wrote:
Thanel wrote:
some man wrote:

No it's not a terror, you just have to click on anyone's username twice to reset, if the way of resetting some man said gets implemented.

Good luck finding that name again. Unlike your own name, which is always at the bottom, you have to look through the whole list of names to find the guy you're spectating. Although I suppose you could just double click on any old username, but that's more of a workaround.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

Wooted by:

BEE

#32 2015-04-15 22:58:49

TiKen

Thanel wrote:
some man wrote:

Yes, or at least put your own name on top so you don't have to go though half the player list to find yourself =P

#33 2015-04-15 23:03:49

Nou

some man wrote:

It's both, the command doesn't replace the clicking.

No u.

#34 2015-04-15 23:10:32

Hexagon

Since one is able to move around while they are spectating someone else this might not work but what if spectating ended when an arrow key was pressed (or wasd?) That way, you can just try to move around again and just get back to where you were.

Wooted by:

#35 2015-04-15 23:14:05

BEE

So, from what I understand, the ways to unspectate could possibly be:

- Put your own name at the top of the list for easier access to click yourself
- Use command to unspectate (is there a way to not require the name to be put in, ie: "/unspec" instead of typing in "/spec bee"?)
- Select the person you are spectating again to go back to yourself

Out of all, I still like the top option the best (hoenstly preferable to put myself under the list of friends, but I'm not too picky) but I'll take any of the above (or all, porque no los dos tres?)

Custom Tab: Forum Post|Trello

Thanks Xen for my Avatar and Smitty for the smiley 47BA5lq.png

#36 2015-04-15 23:39:50, last edited by Hexagon (2015-04-15 23:47:00)

Hexagon

BEE wrote:

- Use command to unspectate (is there a way to not require the name to be put in, ie: "/unspec" instead of typing in "/spec bee"?)

+1 If an un-spectate command is going to be added, I would definitely want /unspec (what you said) rather than /spec bee (unless you can spectate two players at once, which could be interesting.)

BEE wrote:

Out of all, I still like the top option the best (honestly preferable to put myself under the list of friends, but I'm not too picky)

Well, everyone would have to add themselves as a friend to have this feature or if they were added automatically it would work, however if you have multiple friends online it could be a problem (as they would be at the top too.) Maybe have your name *always* at the top regardless of anything.

I'm not sure if someone already suggested this but what if the player who you are spectating appeared at the top of the level list, and changed to an orange color?

#37 2015-04-15 23:44:54

Fradeshan

i would prefer spectating being commands than clicking at all

dogeman: OH GOD THIS IS WORSER THAN A MASH POTATO

#38 2015-04-15 23:48:45

Hexagon

Different55 wrote:
P788 wrote:
BEE wrote:
Thanel wrote:
some man wrote:

Good luck finding that name again. Unlike your own name, which is always at the bottom, you have to look through the whole list of names to find the guy you're spectating. Although I suppose you could just double click on any old username, but that's more of a workaround.

If you mean yourself as the player, then this functionality already exists (clicking the name of the player who you are spectating in a list of players), unless I'm misunderstanding something.

#39 2015-04-16 00:24:39

Different55
Forum Admin

Hexagon wrote:
Different55 wrote:
P788 wrote:
BEE wrote:
Thanel wrote:

If you mean yourself as the player, then this functionality already exists (clicking the name of the player who you are spectating in a list of players), unless I'm misunderstanding something.

I think you might be. I was talking about it being hard to find the username of the person you're spectator because it can move around the list and isn't in a fixed place, unlike your own username.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#40 2015-04-16 00:37:31

Abelysk

Itsmeandersonlol wrote:
BEE wrote:
Thanel wrote:
some man wrote:

Maybe the name should be highlighted blue while being spectated?

#41 2015-04-16 02:42:17

abrar11

What about a hotkey to exit spectating mode like m or something easily accessible?
Hexagon you probably know about this but when you start writing a name and press tab it automatically writes the name for you

#42 2015-04-16 11:47:50

skullz17

I would like a unspec hotkey or button more than any of these.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#43 2015-04-16 12:03:22

Hexagon

xJeex wrote:
BEE wrote:

Yes, as Thanel said you just need to type "/spec". //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

/unspec might be better in some cases than using /spec to toggle because if you are spectating someone who is not moving, and you unspec using /spec, you don't know if you unspec'd or not (because there is no indicating in terms of camera changes.)

Hexagon1429182202495274

Board footer