Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

Sai

Tips on what NOT to do

Let's make a list of what annoys us!
1. The same puzzle a thousand times.
There are a lot of standard puzzles. The E-jump or two block jumps with a low ceiling for example. That's fine, but some maps use the same puzzle a hundred time to create difficulty, and if you fail you can do them all again.
This isn't very exciting but okay:

_        |       _|        |             _______|____

This is just annoying:

_        |       _|        |       _|        |       _|        |       _|        |       _|        |              _______|____

2. Too many coins
Coins can be cool to urge users to discover your level or as a reward after finishing a hard part. When you put a thousand of them everywhere in your level it just becomes annoying and uselees. Plus the sound of putting them in falls is grating as hell.

What tips do you have?

Last edited by Sai (Aug 8 2010 8:25:26 am)

#2 Before February 2015

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

Re: Tips on what NOT to do

Oh god, I hate those kind of levels with a passion.
Stairs.

Don't, for the love of god, have stairs made of red, green, and blue doors. We've seen this a billion times, we don't need to see them anymore. kthx.

Last edited by Zoey2070 (Aug 10 2010 12:21:46 pm)

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

#3 Before February 2015

Cyclone or Meredith

Great Sai! Stickied this topic. Maybe you could put all of the tips people post in this thread into your original post? (with credit of course)

Room Names

All capitals in room names, too many spaces, all just so your level stands out in the list. Try to stand out for good reasons, like actually having a decent level people want to play.

"Suicide Coins"

If getting a coin will require you to restart a large part of a level, I'm going to leave the level. I am guilty of this too, when I made "The Pyramid":
pyramid.png
but at least there it was tastefully done. But seriously, even that doesn't require you to go out of your way.

Follow the crowd

If a level has you moving in large groups or trying stuff in groups, it's obviously not easy enough. I'm not saying you should scrap it, but if there's a point where people are obviously stuck then give them a little help.

Monotony of design

We've all seen the same level features implemented in different ways. Okay, great, we're all good at doing platforms sideways and upside down, we can all do the dot trails without falling, and E-blocks are a piece of cake. Try something different! We've barely scratched the surface of what can be done, because of the repetition. I made a level called "Escape" which requires the user to think outside the box, use the minimap, go through "holes" that aren't supposed to be there. The level required the user to break out of the level. Even within the level design, there are shortcuts, ways to skip parts of it.

That's my input too. What's yours?

#4 Before February 2015

Watashii

Anyone played the level "Bad level design", from a few weeks ago?
It pretty much showed everything you should NOT do when making a level. It included many of the examples here and a few more.

#5 Before February 2015

Cyclone or Meredith

Yes, and it really knew what it was talking about.

#6 Before February 2015

Omar

That was a good level, and it makes some good points.

Another thing, these are getting kind of old:

.       .    . .

They are uncoordinated, and it takes too many attempts to get up.

#7 Before February 2015

Cyclone or Meredith

It's even worse when they're uneven.

#8 Before February 2015

Jimmie

The coins are just annoying. I just leave a level when I see the coin counter saying that there are more than 100.
The first example, yeah, it's annoying to see that. I just leave the level.

We just need to get people think out-of-the-box. Cyclone's Escape is one of those best examples.
P.S. It took me around 50 tries to go through it. But you actually learn something from each 'fail'. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

#9 Before February 2015

Rurigok

It's best to take time when making a level, time to think of innovative new challenges, puzzles, and the like. Some levels are put together very quickly with the same old challenges. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it just gets boring after a while.

#10 Before February 2015

Cyclone or Meredith

I've invented a "reset pipe" that Rurigok physically cannot make himself stuck on. Stuff like that should be in more levels.

Yeah, Jimmie had some difficulty with escape, but then again I could only do it because I knew where to go next.

#11 Before February 2015

Rurigok

Yeah, I am the master at getting stuck places, but he made an impossible one.

#12 Before February 2015

Watashii

_______________ |_________  ____  |_____  ________| |__  ______  ___| |_____  ________|  _______________|
_________________ |<<<<<<<<<<<<<| |<<<<<<<.......  ....<<<<.<<<<| |<<<.<<<<.<<<<| |<<<......<<<<| |<<<<<<<<<<<<<| |_____________|

Don't you hate these? Especially the first one.

Last edited by Watashii (Aug 9 2010 5:07:16 am)

#13 Before February 2015

Jimmie

The first one is horrible.
The second one, not worse, but horrible too.

Blacklist:
E-blocks.
Stacks of coins.
Suicide coins.
Antigravity Pads + Gravity Arrows
One-block jumps with low ceiling
Jumping into one single block (takes a lot of tries)

#14 Before February 2015

Rurigok

Both of those are overused. They aren't challenging, they're just annoying.

#15 Before February 2015

icefiremadness

This Minigame

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<B<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<B<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<B<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<<<B<<<

B stands for block.

#16 Before February 2015

liltim101

These are actually a challenge:
|<<<<<<<<<<<<<|
|<<<<<<<.......
....<<<<.<<<<|
|<<<.<<<<.<<<<|
|<<<......<<<<|
|<<<<<<<<<<<<<|
|_____________|

>^~~~
                                                                             >^
                                                                      >>^
                                                                   >^
But these are annoying but fun ^
U have to jump up and land on a block its annoying if u fail 1000 times xD

#17 Before February 2015

Jimmie

@liltim101, the first one is fun.
The second one, there's a worse variation:

<___<       <__     <__   <__ __<

(Kinda looks like I am drawing smilies)

Ah right, and antigravity dots like this is the worst.

...........  .........       .         ....    .... .... <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The dots aren't designed to do this kind of things - I guess. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

#18 Before February 2015

Ryan

I definetelty hate this one, when used excessivelly :

.       .     B .     B B

#19 Before February 2015

Jimmie

Oh right. Anti-gravity pads are just not designed to do these things.
And this is even worse:

< B

It's just like Pixel Hunting. You have to land on the exact pixel so you aren't affected by the arrow.

#20 Before February 2015

pimanrules

Whoever designed this (and I KNOW who did) obviously has no soul:

SIDEWAYSEShapedJumpspnguq.png

Same level, different idiot:

RAGEQUITpngyt.png

(Probably shouldn't be making fun of the first idiot, seeing as he is the IRC op...)

Last edited by pimanrules (Aug 12 2010 5:27:20 pm)

#21 Before February 2015

Google

Oh god please make it a future rule to ban anyone who uses these courses over and over again... and don't forget about what is also getting very old >>> stair levels, bosses and everything listed above.

#22 Before February 2015

Cyclone or Meredith

I don't see how it would make sense to ban people for using the same level design again and again, but it is certainly annoying...

#23 Before February 2015

Zap

What's an E-Block?

#24 Before February 2015

Google

Just so very tired of seeing them Cyclone, if there are any maps that are truly original i sure can't find them...:(

#25 Before February 2015

Rurigok

Zap, an E-block is this:

_  | _|  | _|

Last edited by Rurigok (Aug 13 2010 10:45:09 pm)

Sai 1423488947472485

Board footer