Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#51 Before February 2015

IC-1101_98

Re: Whats YOUR view on aliens or other dimension?

Yeah that's right Twippy, Drakes equation, that's the name... And yeah, it may not be that accurate but that's why I changed the numbers a "little". Other dimensions, yeah, they might exist, I read a book some months ago and that book said something about particles: When you use the particleaccelerator in Cern, and let the particles reach like 99.9% of lightspeed they let them collide, and when that happens, the remains, in this case, some other particles (don't know what kind sorry) flies around after the collision, and some of em' disappear not like the way you think, it's some other freaky way. So, maybe the 4th space dimension exists? And that we just can't get to it with these conditions, like that we need some kind of force to overcome the dimensional limit, but that's just a theory, probably not right but it's fun to think at it. And a little off topic: Time travel is possible, but only to the future, cause travel to past would create paradoxes. But travel to the future is possible by using either gravity or speed.

Last edited by IC-1101_98 (Jun 14 2011 2:23:26 am)

#52 Before February 2015

Twipply

Greenzoid2 wrote:

Well I guess I was wrong there, but I'd like to clear something up.

Are you implying that you think that aliens don't exist, or just trying to prove that we have no proof yet?

I am just saying that we don't know for sure yet.   Personally, I'm almost certain that other life exists.   It's nice to think that it existed on Mars at some point, and maybe Europa too.

#53 Before February 2015

MadReaper

My opinion: Aliens: If space is as big as we think definitely. Imagine, space is INFINITE. Somewhere else must be live. But I don't think we'll meet aliens soon, space is just too big.
Dimensions: Maybe, maybe not, we have no idea.

#54 Before February 2015

RT

aliens are living on earth, in fact, I have a friend who's and alien.

#55 Before February 2015

Koto

MadReaper wrote:

My opinion: Aliens: If space is as big as we think definitely. Imagine, space is INFINITE.

Actually, belive it or not, there are a few theroies that the universe isn't as big as we think.   For all we know, alot of other galaxies could simply be mirror images of eachother past the boundries of the universe.   They could just look different, because it would take different amounts of time for the light to reach us, they COULD just be the same galaxy, just from different time periods.

#56 Before February 2015

Greenzoid2

Happy birthday KOTO.

It would be cool if aliens were secretly living on our planet.

#57 Before February 2015

FruitMonster2

*bump*

#58 Before February 2015

Jomarixa

i think black holes are a gateway to another dimension. just need something that could survive it.

#59 Before February 2015

IC-1101_98

It may be possible to enter a black hole, just avoid the event horizon and you will maybe get through, I don't know but at least if you get too close to the event horizon, the black hole will tear your atoms apart. Not even light can escape a black hole if it gets too close to the hole, cause if it does, it gets pulled in. That's why they are black.

#60 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

KingOfTheOzone wrote:
TakoMan02 wrote:

Being religious, I'd say there aren't aliens.

Say that again?

Maybe you should actually read the article you reply with.

"Fundamentally," he said, "the Bible is not a book of science... It's a love letter written by God to his people in the language of two or three thousand years ago... So one cannot ask the Bible for scientific responses."

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

#61 Before February 2015

Gaming_Guy

However, once subsets of a given set X (in Cantor's case, X = R) are considered, the universe may need to be a set of subsets of X. (For example, a topology on X is a set of subsets of X.) The various sets of subsets of X will not themselves be subsets of X but will instead be subsets of PX, the power set of X. This may be continued; the object of study may next consist of such sets of subsets of X, and so on, in which case the universe will be P(PX). In another direction, the binary relations on X (subsets of the Cartesian product X × X) may be considered, or functions from X to itself, requiring universes like P(X × X) or XX.

Thus, even if the primary interest is X, the universe may need to be considerably larger than X. Following the above ideas, one may want the superstructure over X as the universe. This can be defined by structural recursion as follows:

Let S0X be X itself.
     Let S1X be the union of X and PX.
     Let S2X be the union of S1X and P(S1X).
     In general, let Sn+1X be the union of SnX and P(SnX).

Then the superstructure over X, written SX, is the union of S0X, S1X, S2X, and so on; or

81aeb8e4e9552e16f5ce58d090a16ff2.png

Note that no matter what set X is the starting point, the empty set {} will belong to S1X. The empty set is the von Neumann ordinal [0]. Then {[0]}, the set whose only element is the empty set, will belong to S2X; this is the von Neumann ordinal [1]. Similarly, {[1]} will belong to S3X, and thus so will {[0],[1]}, as the union of {[0]} and {[1]}; this is the von Neumann ordinal [2]. Continuing this process, every natural number is represented in the superstructure by its von Neumann ordinal. Next, if x and y belong to the superstructure, then so does {{x},{x,y}}, which represents the ordered pair (x,y). Thus the superstructure will contain the various desired Cartesian products. Then the superstructure also contains functions and relations, since these may be represented as subsets of Cartesian products. The process also gives ordered n-tuples, represented as functions whose domain is the von Neumann ordinal [n]. And so on.

So if the starting point is just X = {}, a great deal of the sets needed for mathematics appear as elements of the superstructure over {}. But each of the elements of S{} will be finite sets! Each of the natural numbers belongs to it, but the set N of all natural numbers does not (although it is a subset of S{}). In fact, the superstructure over X consists of all of the hereditarily finite sets. As such, it can be considered the universe of finitist mathematics. Speaking anachronistically, one could suggest that the 19th-century finitist Leopold Kronecker was working in this universe; he believed that each natural number existed but that the set N (a "completed infinity") did not.

However, S{} is unsatisfactory for ordinary mathematicians (who are not finitists), because even though N may be available as a subset of S{}, still the power set of N is not. In particular, arbitrary sets of real numbers are not available. So it may be necessary to start the process all over again and form S(S{}). However, to keep things simple, one can take the set N of natural numbers as given and form SN, the superstructure over N. This is often considered the universe of ordinary mathematics. The idea is that all of the mathematics that is ordinarily studied refers to elements of this universe. For example, any of the usual constructions of the real numbers (say by Dedekind cuts) belongs to SN. Even non-standard analysis can be done in the superstructure over a non-standard model of the natural numbers.

One should note a slight shift in philosophy from the previous section, where the universe was any set U of interest. There, the sets being studied were subsets of the universe; now, they are members of the universe. Thus although P(SX) is a Boolean lattice, what is relevant is that SX itself is not. Consequently, it is rare to apply the notions of Boolean lattices and Venn diagrams directly to the superstructure universe as they were to the power-set universes of the previous section. Instead, one can work with the individual Boolean lattices PA, where A is any relevant set belonging to SX; then PA is a subset of SX (and in fact belongs to SX). In Cantor's case X = R in particular, arbitrary sets of real numbers are not available, so there it may indeed be necessary to start the process all over again.
There, I've explained the universe with mathematics for the people that think they're smart.
Do I have to explain "Do Aliens Exist" to morons in English? Fine. Watch below;

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyvzdcnRC0s[/youtube]

Last edited by GamingGuy (Jul 18 2011 2:05:54 am)

#62 Before February 2015

MaxDG/MXIII

TL;DR.

Also, anyone who's religious and says we don't know aliens exist because we don't have proof, it's the same for the stupid religion, we have no proof GOD exists.

Actually, we have proof of aliens, Bacteria has been found on Mars previously. That's Life. on another planet.

Also, the answer to life, the universe, and everything, is, in fact, 42.

#63 Before February 2015

SWL

i think the aliens REALLY exist and we are not alone in the universe

#64 Before February 2015

supadorf24

GamingGuy wrote:

There, I've explained the universe with mathematics for the people that think they're smart.

That would be considered plagiarism considering you're claiming that you have explained the universe, when in fact you just copy and pasted from Wikipedia.

#65 Before February 2015

Shy Guy

We claim there is no other life in the universe because we haven't seen it yet. Just as how some people claim there is no god.

I believe that their is a planet just like ours somewhere in the universe.

Last edited by Shy Guy (Aug 5 2011 12:25:40 pm)

#66 Before February 2015

Maikel

The proof of aliens can be explained with Ancient Historical Area/Artifacts. Pyramids of Giza, Sphinx, Nazca Lines, And if I do recall correctly this one area had stones with perfects carvings in them (straight lines) and you might say "Humans did it." Let's not forget some of these stones used in ancient structures sometimes weigh over 1,000 tons.

#67 Before February 2015

Twipply

Maikel wrote:

The proof of aliens can be explained with Ancient Historical Area/Artifacts. Pyramids of Giza, Sphinx, Nazca Lines, And if I do recall correctly this one area had stones with perfects carvings in them (straight lines) and you might say "Humans did it." Let's not forget some of these stones used in ancient structures sometimes weigh over 1,000 tons.

I'm not quite sure if a pile of stone is proof of aliens.

#68 Before February 2015

Maikel

Twipply wrote:
Maikel wrote:

Of course, But look at some ancient structures that quite frankly would be done with extreme difficulty. Stone Henge, Sphinx, Pyramids, Puma Punku, ect. Some of the stones lifted high off the ground sometimes weigh like I said over 1,000 short tons which is 1,000,000 pounds. Explain how humans of that age can achieve such things without advanced technology.

Last edited by Maikel (Aug 5 2011 1:24:54 pm)

#69 Before February 2015

Twipply

Maikel wrote:
Twipply wrote:
Maikel wrote:

Of course, But look at some ancient structures that quite frankly would be done with extreme difficulty. Stone Henge, Sphinx, Pyramids, Puma Punku, ect. Some of the stones lifted high off the ground sometimes weigh like I said over 1,000 short tons which is 1,000,000 pounds. Explain how humans of that age can achieve such things without advanced technology.

I was hoping you'd mention stonehenge.   Just because perhaps you and I don't know doesn't make it impossible.

#70 Before February 2015

Maikel

Twipply wrote:
Maikel wrote:
Twipply wrote:

I was hoping you'd mention stonehenge.   Just because perhaps you and I don't know doesn't make it impossible.

That's nice. Now, Take the time to explain how humans did more complex things like..Cutting into Diorite, The Sphinx, And how Triple Digit-Quadruple digit short ton stones were moved so high off the ground. (In case you didn't know anything quadruple digit short ton weighs over 1 million pounds.)

Last edited by Maikel (Aug 5 2011 2:59:36 pm)

#71 Before February 2015

Twipply

Maikel wrote:

That's nice. Now, Take the time to explain how humans did more complex things like..Cutting into Diorite, The Sphinx, And how Triple Digit-Quadruple digit short ton stones were moved so high off the ground. (In case you didn't know anything quadruple digit short ton weighs over 1 million pounds.)

As I tried to imply in my previous post, you don't get to jump to conclusions just because we don't know how something was specifically done.

As for diorite, the wikipedia page has a very nice picture of a diorite vase, so I guess cutting it can't be that hard, unless the aliens came and made that for us, too.

And for the rest, I imagine there's plenty of ideas all far more logical than aliens.

Unrelated to that, you should use real units rather than tons and pounds.

FruitMonster2 1423639663321769

Board footer