Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 Before February 2015

TrappedTime

Re: If you like/understand geometry click here

So using your 'dot product' math there comes a contradiction to the geometry of the situation...
Hmm...

#27 Before February 2015

Twipply

TrappedTime wrote:

So using your 'dot product' math there comes a contradiction to the geometry of the situation...
Hmm...

As I said, some of the lines are not at 90 degrees to each other.   In fact, I'm not sure any of them are.

You need to realise that the plane EBCH is NOT a square, it's a rectangle.   If you want me to explain further, I can, just ask.

~200 posts~

Last edited by Twipply (Aug 6 2011 9:02:01 am)

#28 Before February 2015

TrappedTime

Oh wow... I can't believe I missed this.

The diagonals for the faces are not equal to the edges, thusfore they produce rectangles...
Wow I was ompletely wrong.

But could you imagine, 4 perpendicular lines, LOL.

EDIT: But then that doesn't account for all the other rectangles... How can there be rectangles if it's a regular cube?

Last edited by TrappedTime (Aug 6 2011 9:05:17 am)

#29 Before February 2015

Twipply

TrappedTime wrote:

Oh wow... I can't believe I missed this.

The diagonals for the faces are not equal to the edges, thusfore they produce rectangles...
Wow I was ompletely wrong.

But could you imagine, 4 perpendicular lines, LOL.

EDIT: But then that doesn't account for all the other rectangles... How can there be rectangles if it's a regular cube?

It's alright.   If you read the Wikipedia page on 3D space, you can see that it only has 3 orthogonal lines.   In fact, it's probably called 3D space for that very reason.

As for your edit, I don't know what you're asking.   There's rectangles inside the cube because there just is.   Take the plane EBCH and it's just a rectangle.   Take a plane through a sphere and you'll get an ellipse.

#30 Before February 2015

TrappedTime

Nevermind, as long as all the edges of the rectangles are equal, it creates a cube.
I got confused //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

#31 Before February 2015

Pike270

Updated Second Post.

Last edited by Pike270 (Aug 6 2011 6:43:32 pm)

#32 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Sorry to be off the topic, but Google "four orthogonal lines on a cube".

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

#33 Before February 2015

Pike270

Think up a transparent cube. Now connect each corner with it's opposite corner to form lines. You get... 4 lines! Now, using some statements about how diagonals in squares are perpendicular, you can use that multiple times to prove all lines are perpendicular.

1ptedges.jpg

^ I believe that you are referring to that (orthogonal lines shown in red). Those are orthogonal lines, but in a different context. As shown in the original post, we are talking about perpendicularity.

There are many definitions of "orthogonal": http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/orthogonal

Last edited by Pike270 (Aug 6 2011 10:45:37 pm)

TrappedTime 1423639824321608

Board footer