Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

Cyral

Internet Access Is a Human Right, Says United Nations

Player Since 2011. I used to make bots and stuff.

#2 Before February 2015

Krazyman50

Re: Internet Access Is a Human Right, Says United Nations

I say lolno.

#3 Before February 2015

soccerfreak006

Not really a right, but a privelage

#4 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

In a world that is limitless, equal, and bound to knowledge, no man or woman is denied the right to use the internet.

That's the world I want to live in, not a world that preserves humanity's greatest treasures for the few who live in first-world countries.

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

#5 Before February 2015

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

The UN reminds me a bit of Tumblr, where everyone dies without Wi-fi or internet.

But I think I agree. Everyone deserves to have an endless source of knowledge. After all, we're human, the best goddamn species on the planet, and shouldn't we help others get the same knowledge we can obtain? It's only right, fair, and good if some six year old kenyan can look up how to be an astrophysicist when a fifteen year old american can. That's fairness. I like fairness in the world, even though my mother always told me life isn't fair.

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

#6 Before February 2015

JadElClemens

Wow, how silly.

I agree that it'd be a very good thing that as many people have access to the internet as possible, but calling it a basic human right is just insane.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#7 Before February 2015

eeplayer17

I should think access to clean water, food, and education is a more important priority for people in third world countries than internet access.

#8 Before February 2015

xputnameherex

I agree with almost everyone in this topic so far.

#9 Before February 2015

MIHB

I find positive rights to be offensive.   Positive rights being things that must be given, such as food, water, shelter, Internet access, etc.   Negative rights are the only rights I believe in--such as the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, all of which are implicitly negative rights: you have the right to NOT be killed, the right to NOT be imprisoned, etc.   Positive rights are essentially market distortions, and market distortions always have bad implications.

#10 Before February 2015

Shift

So now they're going to supply laptops and wifi for the homeless? Methinks no. It's a right to use that privilege if you have access to it. End of story.

How was this even debatable? I mean, if you don't have access to it, then the right is null. If there's some kind of free library, then it's free to access it. If you own your own stuff, then you have access to it. Is there any way around these three facts?

#11 Before February 2015

Drew12345

Out of all the things the UN could possibly agree on its that the internet is a basic human right?
Why can't they focus on something important like world peace or getting everyone clean water?

#12 Before February 2015

Greenzoid2

I think they mean that no one should be denied the right to access the internet, which means that they have the means to use it but are stopped by government, not that every person in the world should have their internet paid for them. If you have the money to pay for it, you shouldn't be prevented from using it.

Cyral1423663624297808

Board footer