Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 Before February 2015

jakery

Re: Idea: A visual warning for gravedig posts

Jojomanjo wrote:

Firebug? Wannabe.

Do tell... wannabe what? And if you say, "Webkit developer tools," you and me have a problem. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

#27 Before February 2015

Chimi

Supadorf24 wrote:
jakery wrote:

I had to fix the syntax in the CREATE TABLE statements (change the long-obsolete 'type=' to 'engine=') just to get install.php to finish. And now, FluxBB is totally ignoring the fact that I specified port 8080, and so my IIS server on default port 80 is receiving the redirect requests, and (rightfully) screaming bloody murder with 404 errors.

Oh, um, yeah, uh, I hate it when that happens. If you set the port to a calibrating function of 81, you might even get some 405 errors.
//forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue So, yeah, I have no idea what you're talking about, but good luck with those tables that you're creating.

Eh, I'm no good at carpentry.

#28 Before February 2015

Sansander97

This idea seems to be worth the time to program. What would be the criteria for a post to be considered "a simple reply." Would there be a character counter implemented into said system eg. a post has to be over 20 characters long for it to be accepted?

#29 Before February 2015

jakery

Sansander97 wrote:

This idea seems to be worth the time to program. What would be the criteria for a post to be considered "a simple reply." Would there be a character counter implemented into said system eg. a post has to be over 20 characters long for it to be accepted?

If I build that, it won't be in this iteration. That's how scope creep starts.

We can discuss it for a future build. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

---

Edit: Also, the goal of what I'm building right now is to inform the user that they might be breaking the rules. It's not a good idea to outright prevent a post that fails a minimum character requirement, because there's no way of knowing if it breaks a rule. For all we know, it's a game thread that doesn't require long replies to play. Or maybe it's a person who can adequately express himself in fewer than [X] characters. I can't write a script that can detect these things. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Last edited by jakery (May 13 2011 8:07:34 am)

#30 Before February 2015

BEE

^ Or it could be a bump from the author

Custom Tab: Forum Post|Trello

Thanks Xen for my Avatar and Smitty for the smiley 47BA5lq.png

#31 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

Or it could be a mod locking a topic that he forgot to lock.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#32 Before February 2015

jakery

@Bee & Different55: Yes, those too.

Testing is going well so far...

Capture.png

Last edited by jakery (May 13 2011 9:32:50 am)

#33 Before February 2015

Panic

Nice idea. Hopefully it solves some grave-digging problems.

Off-topic: I'm pretty sure 1931 was during the Depression. Good luck buying anything, much less a car...

Obligatory piece of text placed here forcing you to load an extra 100 bytes of data per post I make.

#34 Before February 2015

jakery

Here's the double-post caution:

Capture2.png

Panic wrote:

Nice idea. Hopefully it solves some grave-digging problems.

Off-topic: I'm pretty sure 1931 was during the Depression. Good luck buying anything, much less a car...

You're pretty sharp. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile I figured if the guy managed to get Internet in 1931, a new car wasn't too much of a stretch. 1xd1

#35 Before February 2015

Panic

Is the blue link-like text a link to edit your latest post? Another thing I want to see. Imagine you have the latest post on page 2, but not on page 1. You forget to change pages or look at time and date of post. You 'post' on page 1. Will it warn about double post?
This also applies to grave-digging. If you want to reply to the last post on page 1, let's say it was 4 months old, and forgot to change pages to the most recent posts( 5 minutes old), will it still think that it's a grave-dig?

Off topic: If the guy got Internet in 1931, would it be of any use? If no one else has Internet, there's nothing the guy can do. The only thing I can think of is being able to suck at online games and still have the world record on all of them...

Obligatory piece of text placed here forcing you to load an extra 100 bytes of data per post I make.

#36 Before February 2015

BillyP

Looks cool //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Last edited by BillyP (May 13 2011 10:28:43 am)

#37 Before February 2015

jakery

Panic wrote:

Is the blue link-like text a link to edit your latest post? Another thing I want to see. Imagine you have the latest post on page 2, but not on page 1. You forget to change pages or look at time and date of post. You 'post' on page 1. Will it warn about double post?
This also applies to grave-digging. If you want to reply to the last post on page 1, let's say it was 4 months old, and forgot to change pages to the most recent posts( 5 minutes old), will it still think that it's a grave-dig?

Off topic: If the guy got Internet in 1931, would it be of any use? If no one else has Internet, there's nothing the guy can do. The only thing I can think of is being able to suck at online games and still have the world record on all of them...

I had consulted with Cyclone about multi-page thread support. We'd concluded that I'd write a couple of lines of PHP (and a MySQL query), so both the gravedig caution and the double-post caution will work on every page of the thread. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile Also, if you click "quote," or "post reply," the warning comes up when you're replying on the special "post.php" page.

Also possible because of the PHP/MySQL call: the blue link does take you to edit your most recent post. I'm pretty proud of that one. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

1931 Internet: I figure if it's true Internet, the guy's cable is probably running through a time portal, and it's plugged into an Ethernet jack in modern times. *shrug* Which means he has a modern computer, too. It makes me wonder why he needs a gramophone. I really didn't intend for that test-post to be analyzed so closely. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Last edited by jakery (May 13 2011 11:13:55 am)

#38 Before February 2015

Panic

I was thinking of the multi-page thing cause of some other independent forum I was on a while ago that's not connected to any forum hosting site. On there, it just completely removes the reply box if you have the last post on that page. If you had the last post in the topic and went to another page where you aren't the last post, the reply box will come back, but when you post, it doesn't let you and gives you a pop-up message. Not sure how grave-digging worked on that forum though.
Also, I know close to nothing about coding and whatnot. I only understood about half of your first paragraph.

I would say more off topic stuff about how time portals to the past are impossible, but I'm too lazy and I'm not sure how to word it.

#39 Before February 2015

jakery

Panic wrote:

I was thinking of the multi-page thing cause of some other independent forum I was on a while ago that's not connected to any forum hosting site. On there, it just completely removes the reply box if you have the last post on that page. If you had the last post in the topic and went to another page where you aren't the last post, the reply box will come back, but when you post, it doesn't let you and gives you a pop-up message. Not sure how grave-digging worked on that forum though.
Also, I know close to nothing about coding and whatnot. I only understood about half of your first paragraph.

I would say more off topic stuff about how time portals to the past are impossible, but I'm too lazy and I'm not sure how to word it.

Occupational hazard; I build web apps for a living, so I'm around people who talk about complicated computer/web technology all day.

Disabling replies isn't planned because sometimes a gravedig/double-post isn't against the rules. That's why I'm going for a "You'd better know what you're doing" approach. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Last edited by jakery (May 15 2011 1:59:47 pm)

#40 Before February 2015

Panic

I know how this could help prevent grave-digs and double posts that were unintentional, but it's still not going to prevent idiots who do it for fun. They're just going to think that it's a minor inconvenience.

#41 Before February 2015

Chimi

Hmm... Does your system automatically send a report for violators of the double post function?

#42 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

That would be neat... but I think unnecessary.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#43 Before February 2015

jakery

Chimi wrote:

Hmm... Does your system automatically send a report for violators of the double post function?

Nope. My script is purely informational. The data is a one-way trip to the browser. Nothing gets sent back to the server.

Besides, double posting isn't always against the rules, so there would be a lot of false reports.

#44 Before February 2015

MadReaper

I'd really need this thing- My first comment was my first time grave digging 0.o

#45 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Chimi wrote:

I'm glad I taught you hex.
I like this, tis FF3333.

You taught me NOTHING!

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

#46 Before February 2015

Cyclone or Meredith

And, done.

Jakery, job well done.

+1 for you good sir.

#47 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Hey... so I see you've gone through with it. Congrats jakery, making the forums a better place. I definitely think the amount of double-posting and gravedigging will go down.

But I still think the color is too much. Compared to the light gray behind it, it's like a neon sign in a pitch black room. Using a paler color would definitely be the best option, so I don't go blind //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Last edited by Tako (May 14 2011 9:01:44 pm)

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

#48 Before February 2015

RhazzleFrazzle

great. now get back to work.

#49 Before February 2015

Chimi

Hmm. Works great. Good job.

#50 Before February 2015

jakery

Awesome. I'm glad it worked out. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile