Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

Kaslai
Official Caroler

LUA Integration

I was thinking the other day that EE is pretty fun, but the simple engine does get a little stale after a while. Then I realized: not only could the game be made more fun, but a new user base could be ushered in if Chris somehow integrated the LUA interpreter into EE.

This would allow level designers to write and/or use scripts to improve their level. One level really made me realize how awesome this cold be. It was that metroid remake (That wasn't half bad). With LUA, he could have made it so you could get missiles and bombs etc. I'm not saying this would be a quick task, but i would surely enrich gameplay and bring in a large portion of new players who will do more than troll levels.

TL;DR: Let people make 3rd party mods for EE

Last edited by Aslai (Mar 13 2011 12:47:14 am)

#2 Before February 2015

karim

Re: LUA Integration

this would be cool but most of the player of EE are young (9-13) and they dont even know what is a script.....

#3 Before February 2015

Kaslai
Official Caroler

Like I said, it would usher in the user base that DOES know how to script. Everyone would benefit.

#4 Before February 2015

Jojatekok

karim wrote:

this would be cool but most of the player of EE are young (9-13) and they dont even know what is a script.....

HEY! I'm 13 and I know what scripts are >.<
I started my first website written in HTML 3-4 years ago, and closed it a year ago. It has got 300 visitors/day.
Now, I'm "coding" in PHP and GML.

#5 Before February 2015

Gamer1120

I know what they are, almost every computer virus is a script //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

#6 Before February 2015

Burnett

Gamer1120 wrote:

I know what they are, almost every computer virus is a script //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

Buy a Mac,get rid of these viruses.

#7 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

I vote yes/no. Yes it would be cool. No, people could crash the game. Or at least a world.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#8 Before February 2015

Chewy
Banned

Burnett wrote:
Gamer1120 wrote:

Don't even start. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

#9 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

Mac has viruses, too. But people who make the viruses want to target a lot of people. Most people have windows, so most viruses are for windows. But Mac isn't fail-proof.

- ShinsukeIto

#10 Before February 2015

Kaslai
Official Caroler

Different55 wrote:

I vote yes/no. Yes it would be cool. No, people could crash the game. Or at least a world.

It would have to be crippled in some way, eg a script cannot take longer than 50ms to execute, and maybe have the client execute it, but only if it's pre-approved by the server. This would keep the server load down as well.

#11 Before February 2015

D-rock2308

Burnett wrote:
Gamer1120 wrote:

Buy a mac, they are slow as crap.

#12 Before February 2015

Showpath

great idea i programed in a few diffrent laugages and i know how to script some

#13 Before February 2015

Pawlowic

Lua scripts are like mods... There should even be   a zombie lua script...That when human touched,its forced to become a //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue smiley!

#14 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

Aslai wrote:
Different55 wrote:

It would have to be crippled in some way, eg a script cannot take longer than 50ms to execute, and maybe have the client execute it, but only if it's pre-approved by the server. This would keep the server load down as well.

Great idea. Maybe the server could have a sandbox area where each script could be tested for length? A place that won't be able to access any files, of course. Just a safe little spot. If it takes longer than 50ms it is auto terminated.

- ShinsukeIto

#15 Before February 2015

correiajoao

Nice ideia Aslai! I agree with you! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

I start do some work with PHP language with 10 years old! 1 year ago I start do minigames in GML! So if you tink that kids dont know what is a script, you are mistaken! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/neutral

#16 Before February 2015

Gamer1120

Burnett wrote:
Gamer1120 wrote:

I have a computer for GAMING, a Mac doesn't support a lot of games...

#17 Before February 2015

JadElClemens

karim wrote:

I was eleven when I first started getting interested in scripting (specifically LUA, actually, I wanted to be able to do cool things on Roblox)
I never learned LUA. I can't seem to learn things like that, but I'd be interested to pick it back up if EE integrated it. It is object-based, so it'd work great with EE and all of those.... objects. Plus, it'd be easier to work with co-ordinates since they're simple positive integers, and there's only 2 planes.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#18 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

I saw an 8yrold who could mod a complex C++ simulator. He had a tutorial on youtube.

- ShinsukeIto

#19 Before February 2015

Betaguy

I can some few scripts, and I am 12.

#20 Before February 2015

JadElClemens

Betaguy wrote:

I can some few scripts, and I am 12.

I am 12 and what is this?

I guess it would kinda be hard to integrate rules and parameters on the scripts.... IDK.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

Kaslai1423729090232342

Board footer