Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 Before February 2015

jakery

Re: Ranks for Game

mrvalley wrote:

saying ranks will lead to RPG-like stats is like saying sitting down will lead to baldness.   they have absolutely nothing to do with each other.   as proof, the forums here have ranks, yet they don't have stats.  

at least put in a reputation system, like the one used in the forums.

I would argue that the convention of forum rankings is worthless, since post count does not necessarily mean your posts are any good.

Besides, like I said, there's no measurable statistic in EE that correlates to a person's skill, popularity, or value to the community. The ranking would be meaningless.

#27 Before February 2015

noelzkie

JadElClemens wrote:

All we need is new bricks and art. We don't need to make this into any type of game that isn't sandbox. You people are trying to turn it into some CTF/minigame game. It is, always has been, and always needs to be a multiplayer sandbox.

Yes correct. Ben is just trying to be artistic(I'm not sure but I think yes!) by thinking on his own way or something like that and that.

#28 Before February 2015

jakery

Any rank system will artificially influence the way EE levels are built.

-If rank is based on level hits, everyone builds "popular" designs (staircases, mini games, smiley art. yuck), or calls their world "Code is 123."

-If rank is based on skill jumps, everyone builds frustratingly difficult jumps and endless hook jump obstacles.

-If rank is based on users rating a level, everyone tries to be super nice and do whatever anyone suggests, even if it wrecks the level, just to get higher ratings.

-If rank is based on time spent playing EE, people spend more time on the game than they would, diluting the level of enjoyment.

-If rank is based on crowns obtained, everyone spams crowns in their level.

-If rank is based on coins / magic coins obtained, the "afk coin factories" reach epidemic levels.

The "best" of the options is a peer user rating system, like forum reputation. But even this encourages brown-nosing, "helping" players through obstacles, and a constant fear of "hurting my rank" by making an unpopular decision in a level you control... or by having an unfinished level played by impatient players.

Is it really important to have an artificial hierarchy of players? Or garner a false sense of accomplishment through an arbitrary rank? Let's just have fun and be creative; That's what I do when I play.

Nighterlev 1423729232232200

Board footer