Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

jakery

Friendly Error Messages upon freezes

Sometimes I freeze at the splash screen, or at the "trying to load world" screen. I'm left wondering if the thing is ever going to load or if it's frozen indefinitely. If something's wrong and EE can't load, display an error message explaining that there was a problem. It's much better than leaving us in the dark.

#2 Before February 2015

Pawlowic

Re: Friendly Error Messages upon freezes

Agreed. Also,it should be like this "There has been an error . . . Return to lobby?

#3 Before February 2015

BillyP

I agree with this.

Also, as Pawlowic mentioned, a 'Return to lobby' button on the 'Trying to load world' screen would allow players to choose another world to play without having to refresh the page.

#4 Before February 2015

Betaguy

Omg I was just to say what Pawlowic said //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/neutral

#5 Before February 2015

NikK

#6 Before February 2015

JadElClemens

But if the game is frozen/can't load, how is it going to load an error message?

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#7 Before February 2015

Onjit
Website

JadElClemens wrote:

LOL https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/c/c0/069_LOL
how true

:.|:;

#8 Before February 2015

jakery

JadElClemens wrote:

If a program you write is freezing, you find out what causes the freeze and code in a fix. If a freeze comes with a thrown error, and it's not some kind of program loop bug (infinite while loop/stack overflow) your fix looks like this:

try{ //code to load lobby } catch (error) { //code to display an error message to the user if the lobby failed to load. }

If it's not a thrown error, then it's "if/else" or "switch:case" to detect a load failure, and code to display an error message.

You'll be quizzed on Friday. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

Last edited by jakery (Apr 25 2011 7:27:53 am)

#9 Before February 2015

Cyclopsicle

mhmm

#10 Before February 2015

Pike270

You guys having a case of this?

Pike270 wrote:

I have the same problem with my great world. Heres a solution:

To get past this you need to make sure your logged in. Open 3 tabs with the Direct Level Link in the URL. 1-2 of the tabs will load successfully load.

-For Kongregate Users: Use the above method. Then in a 4th tab go on Kongregate and enter your room from Kongregate.

NOTE: You may have to change the name of your level temporarily to get it to appear in the lobby.

NOTE 2 If you do not haveyour level link open 3 tabs with the lobby and ener your room with all three simultaniously. At least 1 tab will load. don't forget to retrieve your level's link.

#11 Before February 2015

jakery

Pike270 wrote:

You guys having a case of this?

Pike270 wrote:

I have the same problem with my great world. Heres a solution:

To get past this you need to make sure your logged in. Open 3 tabs with the Direct Level Link in the URL. 1-2 of the tabs will load successfully load.

-For Kongregate Users: Use the above method. Then in a 4th tab go on Kongregate and enter your room from Kongregate.

NOTE: You may have to change the name of your level temporarily to get it to appear in the lobby.

NOTE 2 If you do not haveyour level link open 3 tabs with the lobby and ener your room with all three simultaniously. At least 1 tab will load. don't forget to retrieve your level's link.

Edit: Erm, it's happening this morning, but I'm not going to get into it here because this is Game Suggestions. I'll post my new wild theories in Bug Reports later.

Last edited by jakery (Apr 25 2011 7:30:04 am)

jakery 1423730064231368

Board footer