Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

BEE

Troll Problem? No Problem. [Anti Troll Guide]

Expectations

No matter how much faith you have in humanity you must recognize that some people will ruin your things, whether intentionally or accidentally.

This is especially a problem on the internet, where responsibility for ones actions lies in the anomnymity of a username (aka: people dont know who you really are so you can go around acting like a **** without consequences).

trollek.png

Also, remember that trolling a world ISNT against the rules. The name of the game is, afterall, Everybody Edits. It doesnt put restrictions on how good those edits have to be.

Avoid the problem in the first place:

dontcome.png

Did you know that if you title your level with a bad word it wont show up on the list? This way only people with the direct link will be able to access your level and you can link to friends and chat about the code all you want.

FYI, putting the code in the title of your level does not make it unique and will not attract more players:

codev.png

So make your code difficult to guess. "ABCD" "1234" "code" and four-letter-bad-words are easy to guess, you can fix this by using a formula instead. Perhaps using every other letter from the direct URL, the first letter of everyone in your crew's usernames, or a word with a number after it aka: 'honey3'

Fix the problem as soon as it presents itself

As SOON as someone you don't trust gets the code, change it. Remember, they can draw faster than you can fix.

kicki.png

Know your commands. If you can chat you can get rid of trolls fast.
"/kick X" kicks user X.
"/loadlevel" loads the level from the last save point
"/reset" sends all but gods back to the beginning of the level (useful if you are unsure where the troll is)

Safety nets

modify.png

Save often. If you are someone like me who likes to let other people have the code and help, then save even more often. That way you can always /loadlevel back to the way you liked it 5 minutes ago.
If you simply just want to show off what you've done, save it, then give out the code and don't save it again until the code is changed and the level reloaded.

Tip: If you forgot and havent saved in a while and see a trolling starting, its better to save now and erase the minimal trolling than lose all your work.

Ignoring

Trolls just want attention. Don't give it to them. Say "lametroll is lame" or "you jelly?" (means "are you jealous?") then leave. You can always check back on a guest account in a few minutes, but if there is no audience, the troll gets bored.

Other

Honestly Ive never had a problem with trolls, and I give the code away quite often. People tend to respect work that is well done, so if you work hard on a level (and its not jsut "stairs" "boss" or "the latest fad") then you will find that people will learn to respect you and your level.

Please feel free to post on this thread your own anti troll techniques, or even your problems. Yes, some of these methods don't help against troll-guests, but changing your code always does. You can always open a tiny chat and private message players who you can trust.

Edit: I think I broke something on the forums because my sig and stuff are messd up now O_o

Last edited by Cyclone (Feb 21 2011 8:28:04 pm)

Custom Tab: Forum Post|Trello

Thanks Xen for my Avatar and Smitty for the smiley 47BA5lq.png

#2 Before February 2015

Epic Smiley

Re: Troll Problem? No Problem. [Anti Troll Guide]

I have one! DON'T GIVE OUT THE CODE! Problem solved.

#3 Before February 2015

Rhythm

LOL!

well, yeah cool. Nice tut, proves that people need to be more careful who they give the code to.

#4 Before February 2015

Pawlowic

Its kinda bad,that im not beta,because,to load a level,you need beta //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/neutral and whats 2 dollars in USA/CANADA Is 30 Euro in Europe...You do the calculation

#5 Before February 2015

EDJ

The people to whom this is addressed are probably never on the forums

#6 Before February 2015

BillyP

Nice guide, BEE!

Also, has everyone else's webpage format gone weird on this page?

#7 Before February 2015

EDJ

Yes, I need to press CTRL-A to see the text since its black on blavck...

#8 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

Same here! And, bee, add that if the troll has a username submit it to the un-official list of trolls in the general section. To search for someone you think might be a troll hit ctrl+f and type in the name

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#9 Before February 2015

BEE

Uh oh, I think   I broke this thread O_o wtf

#10 Before February 2015

BlackBars

Bee can do anythyng: make some epic art, write some good guides, break some forums xD
I think this guide is really helpful for newbies, maybe we will see less trolled levels.

#11 Before February 2015

BEE

I feel as if people will still be trolle but now when they complain I can link them to the guide instead of writing a new post each time. Also, now I can say "I told you so //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink" =P

#12 Before February 2015

Raiden

D: This thread is broken D: Well my guide is 3 steps:
1. Change code (If you change the code, make it something VERY hard, like PIPIPIPI1234321234

2. Kick the troll. If theres not too many people, you should find him easily. If theres a TON of people, someone nearby will find him, and chat his username.

3. Load the level. TIP: Right after you have your level awesomely perfectly the way you want it, SAVE. After one adjustment (If you make another one) save again. Theres a time when a SMART troll will come and hack into your level to get code (I think thats possible, right?).

Thats my guide. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

Last edited by Raiden (Feb 21 2011 4:52:18 pm)

#13 Before February 2015

MIHB

While I agree with most of your post, I disagree with your argument that having "code" in the title doesn't attract more players.   I noticed you showed the "code" levels down near the bottom; a more reasonable test would be the ratio of "code" levels that are popular relative to all "code" levels in comparison to the ratio of all other levels that are popular relative to all other levels.

From my own testing, I expect that having those catch phrases in the title makes it more popular.

#14 Before February 2015

Rurigok

Woah, the CSS failed on this page, lol.

#15 Before February 2015

Greenzoid2

is it just me or is this topic glitching?

#16 Before February 2015

Rurigok

I have isolated the problem to an extra </div> in the HTML (all posts except the first aren't in the PUNVIEWTOPIC div), but since I do not have root access to the files, I cannot correct the problem.   I will have to wait for Cyclone to get back and fix it himself.

And yes, everyone is experiencing this problem.

#17 Before February 2015

Krazyman50

omg what happened to this page

thanks to bbcode I can make my text visible

anyway thanks for this guide (sorta //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue)

Last edited by Krazyman50 (Feb 21 2011 7:59:23 pm)

#18 Before February 2015

Cyclone or Meredith

Fixed //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

#19 Before February 2015

BEE

MIHB wrote:

While I agree with most of your post, I disagree with your argument that having "code" in the title doesn't attract more players.   I noticed you showed the "code" levels down near the bottom; a more reasonable test would be the ratio of "code" levels that are popular relative to all "code" levels in comparison to the ratio of all other levels that are popular relative to all other levels.

From my own testing, I expect that having those catch phrases in the title makes it more popular.

I would do that right now but as its night time I find it would skew the results toward my favor so I will wait until tomorrow.

However, I would only count 25% of the guests on the list, to ensure that they are indeed unique players. I would have counted none of them but figured that wouldnt be fair. This would take forever sadly, but I feel its the only way to statistically measure it.

What I meant to show by that picture was actually the scroll bar, look at how many freakinglevels have the word code in the title. Just putting the word code there doesnt make it unique, it has to be worth it once you click on it.
And yay for fixing it //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile thank you so much //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

#20 Before February 2015

MaxDG/MXIII

Why, this does help against most trolls.

But, the good trolls like me, won't be affected by this. We destroy levels not because we're jealous, but a we're satirists. We mock the sad trolls that are really just posers, and we destroy the levels for amusement, but we know that REAL people can easily fix the level.

This is an example of a SatiristTroll:

http://www.27bslash6.com/foggot.html

WARNING: Very, Very, many curse words.

David Thorne is the SatiristTroll, the other person is a PoserTroll.

Last edited by MaxDG/MXIII (Feb 22 2011 11:05:32 am)

#21 Before February 2015

BEE

MaxDG/MXIII wrote:

Why, this does help against most trolls.

But, the good trolls like me, won't be affected by this. We destroy levels not because we're jealous, but a we're satirists. We mock the sad trolls that are really just posers, and we destroy the levels for amusement, but we know that REAL people can easily fix the level.

It doesn't really matter the reason behind the trolling, the basic principles of level safety still apply.

#22 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

You might want to mention that you shouldn't make your code the password to your account. Unlikely, but people who are after accounts WILL try to log in with the code.

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

#23 Before February 2015

Lopoi2

Hehe, I'm not wanting (wow) to get attention..... IDK about the others.....

But its funny, and this is a good topic.....

I still think that the best way to avoid trollers is:

DON'T GIVE THE CODE

CYA

#24 Before February 2015

TrappedTime

Wow, Bee... I am impressed. Awesome input, but very inevitable... Though unlike me, you gave very detailed descriptions on what to do.
B+ (no pun intended, really)

#25 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

Haha... Very Punny. Great guide, BEE.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

BEE1423745953215479

Board footer