Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-17 11:27:03

SoapFish

Boards

Hello.

I'll be suggesting boards. These action blocks will serve as a "mailbox" for worlds.

What boards do is that whenever a player enters a world, they may leave a message in a board. This will allow the owner of the world to read suggestions, remarks, reviews, and whatnot.

Boards can have these different settings:
   • Publicity: This sets whether the board can be read only by the owner (also the EE Staff andor crew members) or by everyone.
   • Amount Limitation: This sets the number of messages allowed present in the board. Old messages will get archived.
   • Writer/s: This sets the players allowed to write on the board (everyone, friends, EE Staff, crew members)

To write on a board, the following can be considered:
   • The player can click on the board, then type their message.
   • The player can touch the board, then type their message.

Naturally, if boards become implemented, they would have advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages:
   • This will allow the owner to read messages freely.
   • This will allow players to send messages to the owner.

Disadvantages:
   • Players may add any message they desire, so there will likely be unimportant andor rude messages.

It is lowly probable that this idea will get implemented, but this is just a suggestion. Feel free to ask any questions.

Hey there. Wanna know a secret? Send me "Souffezhi" through PM to find out!

GE87uYz.gif

#2 2017-04-17 13:45:20, last edited by LukeM (2017-04-17 13:46:15)

LukeM
Website

Re: Boards

There may be a problem with saving the board
If its stored within the block, then either adding to it would have to save the whole world, or somehow only save the one block (which would be hard), otherwise you wouldnt be able to comment when the owner isnt there

There is always the alternative of just having a forum page, and a sign with a link in the world, which is what I do

Wooted by: (2)

#3 2017-04-17 15:48:42

SoapFish

Yep, that would make the board a not so good idea. As I said, it's lowly probable that it'd get implemented. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

Hey there. Wanna know a secret? Send me "Souffezhi" through PM to find out!

GE87uYz.gif

#4 2017-04-17 17:24:24

skullz17

Is it possible for the data in the board to be saved separately from world data? Then the client would fetch this data only when it wants to access the board.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#5 2017-04-17 17:36:13

hummerz5

skullz17 wrote:

Is it possible for the data in the board to be saved separately from world data? Then the client would fetch this data only when it wants to access the board.

...didn't know you were savvy in the world of PlayerIO! Or maybe you think clearly.

Yes, given that we have trouble saving information as we currently are in 300x300 worlds, adding a forum system would not help. However, saving it separately, perhaps a new table for forum entries or whatnot... yeah you could have room. I'm not sure how the architecture would look, IIRC bigDB on playerio is sketchy

ultimately I"m of the opinion that a forum system would be best utilized and implemented entirely separate from the game, like here, because otherwise creating something that wasn't potato-esque in the game would be unduly difficult and distracting from more important game-centric issues like badges unity

Wooted by:

#6 2017-04-17 17:54:30

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

We already have a Rooms section for this. If we had the Turbofusion Megasuggestion added, it would make connecting the game and the forum a lot easier!

Everybody Edits is Fred

N1KF1492448070655104

Board footer