Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-24 01:22:30

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

World scripts

Bots each day become more powerful, and the result is a whole new generation of professional, enjoyable BALs, that give the players a new fun experience on this 7.5 years old game.
As of today, users can not only download, but write and compile their own bots on each operative system. Nobody can't say they can't.

But, there are always limitations. Bots can easily lose connection, and people cannot get them online 24/7.
This very simple suggestion can fix that.

World Scripts

World Scripts are basically what the title says: Scripts. The script, like any common bot, checks events, and then executes actions.
They can be enabled/disable with a toggle button on the world settings.
Scripts, unlike common bots, have pre-defined functions and events, which make it easier for users who don't know anything about programming, to make a BAL.

Example of a World Script in C#
Example of a World Script in Python

While those languages may become more useful for current bot developers, I think that the best way to go is with Atilla's EEScript scripting language. It's the simplest and most understandable way to write a script.

Wooted by: (3)

#2 2017-04-04 22:41:40

Koya
Fabulous Member

Re: World scripts

Either make the programming like Scratch or host your own bots.

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

I stack my signatures rather than delete them so I don't lose them
giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

#3 2017-04-04 23:02:37, last edited by N1KF (2017-04-04 23:03:59)

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Koya wrote:

Either make the programming like Scratch

I don't like this. I think it would just water down HG's suggestion, in addition to making an in-game "programming" system which I'm also against for other reasons. If you really want a Scratch bot maker you can use a external program to generate the code then submit it as a world script.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#4 2017-04-04 23:41:00

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

1 ticket for the hate train pls.

Nah, I suppose it would be interesting, but this would be a massive update and unjustified in terms of the proportion of the player base that would actually use it.

Wb Koya <333

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

#5 2017-04-05 10:56:57

LukeM
Website

There would need to be some consideration for computing power, as I'm sure the EE servers couldn't manage to run many worlds while also running inefficient scripts on each of them

Also please dont use EEScript, it's good for your first bot, but not for anything more complicated

This is where a scratch like thing would be good, it makes it simple to make bots, while also allowing for more complicated behaviours.
It also provides an easy way to limit the speed (and therefore decreases processing time) used by bots, which is limiting the number of code blocks executed per second

Wooted by:

#6 2017-04-05 14:34:20

Koya
Fabulous Member

destroyer123 wrote:

There would need to be some consideration for computing power, as I'm sure the EE servers couldn't manage to run many worlds while also running inefficient scripts on each of them

A scratch based bot system would throttle the processing power required and lower the bar to who can make a bot, if you are capable of programming your own bot then you are capable of hosting it yourself.

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

Wooted by:

#7 2017-04-05 16:19:13

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Koya wrote:
destroyer123 wrote:

A scratch based bot system would throttle the processing power required and lower the bar to who can make a bot, if you are capable of programming your own bot then you are capable of hosting it yourself.

Since you didn't respond to my original concerns I posted here are more:

• A Scratch system would give less freedom to those who actually can code. If you can't code, somebody can (and I think somebody already has) create a Scratch program that converts Scratch to C# (or whatever your world script runs on).

• A Scratch system would, ironically, make things more complex. Instead of being able to paste lines of code, you have to manually put blocks together.

• It's a lot more work to implement. I would rather see a basic "submit lines of code" instead of "recreate a whole Scratch system" if it means we see UnitEE sooner.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#8 2017-04-05 16:32:02

Koya
Fabulous Member

N1KF wrote:
Koya wrote:
destroyer123 wrote:

Since you didn't respond to my original concerns I posted here are more:

• A Scratch system would give less freedom to those who actually can code. If you can't code, somebody can (and I think somebody already has) create a Scratch program that converts Scratch to C# (or whatever your world script runs on).

• A Scratch system would, ironically, make things more complex. Instead of being able to paste lines of code, you have to manually put blocks together.

• It's a lot more work to implement. I would rather see a basic "submit lines of code" instead of "recreate a whole Scratch system" if it means we see UnitEE sooner.

• If you can code, just make your own bot and run it.
• You can create a text file from a scratch-like program to copy/paste
• I think it would be more rewarding to build it and for those to use it, if you have little to no programming experience you can make something that is implemented in EE so it will work and the servers aren't brought to a halt with it.
Before leaving I was actually working on a web version scratch-like bot builder with free hosting, it's not hard to actually make - it's probably about as difficult as making an IDE that doesn't look like poop, I think the bar should be lowered to accommodate more people.

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

#9 2017-04-05 16:44:16, last edited by N1KF (2017-04-05 16:47:21)

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Koya wrote:

If you can code, just make your own bot and run it.

Many bots people already have would become a lot easier to host with HG's suggestion. Unless you make some sort of compromise, you're alienating a lot of the decently-sized programming community we already have.

You can create a text file from a scratch-like program to copy/paste

I was wrong then.

I think it would be more rewarding to build it and for those to use it, if you have little to no programming experience you can make something that is implemented in EE so it will work and the servers aren't brought to a halt with it.
Before leaving I was actually working on a web version scratch-like bot builder with free hosting, it's not hard to actually make - it's probably about as difficult as making an IDE that doesn't look like poop, I think the bar should be lowered to accommodate more people.

Yeah, that's true. However, if somebody's genuinely interested in making bots, they can download a coding program. Why not include a C# editor, or a Python editor? It's because there are programs for doing that already. In the same way, I don't think we need a Scratch editor.

Maybe have an option to import Scratch code (since like I just learned, Scratch can be imported and exported as text), but not something that can be done with computer programs already. Or maybe I'm wrong, but my quick research leads me to believe it's a programming language, so I assume there are editors for it.

I don't feel like bot making should become part of the internal game. Of course, you feel differently about it which I don't think is something I can change.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#10 2017-04-05 16:49:39, last edited by Koya (2017-04-05 16:51:48)

Koya
Fabulous Member

@N1KF, actually
giphy.gif

Would need to work in a custom data storage and throttling bots though, can't have bots just making files or taking up as much CPU power as possible.

A scratch-like ide would make controlling it easier and managing the power.

Important notes that cannot just be ignored.

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

Wooted by:

#11 2017-04-05 16:58:03

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Koya wrote:

@N1KF, actually
https://media.giphy.com/media/3ohfFhG5V … /giphy.gif

Would need to work in a custom data storage and throttling bots though, can't have bots just making files or taking up as much CPU power as possible.

That's a fair point. Of course, that all comes down to how willing the developers are to check for bugs and possible abuse. Since that's pretty much just speculation I don't think there's much more to discuss here.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#12 2017-04-05 17:39:46

Koya
Fabulous Member

N1KF wrote:
Koya wrote:

@N1KF, actually
https://media.giphy.com/media/3ohfFhG5V … /giphy.gif

That's a fair point. Of course, that all comes down to how willing the developers are to check for bugs and possible abuse. Since that's pretty much just speculation I don't think there's much more to discuss here.

Or a pseudo language that rides on C# could be made, I'd say reworking JavaScript would be the easiest.

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

#13 2017-04-05 18:39:53

LukeM
Website

I just thought that I would point out that scratch doesn't really make it harder to program for people who have programmed before, I would happily convert all my bots to scratch if it would mean they could be run 24/7
Also it would mean people would have to think about the efficiency of their bots, which would be a challenge I would quite like

Scratch also has an inbuilt data storage technique, and iirc it is open source, why take months to make something new if it's already basically done for you

Wooted by:
LukeM1491413993653313

Board footer