Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-17 13:51:20

Erith

Regarding the Current Situation of Everybody Edits

Hello all,
As we all inevitably know, the entire EE community seems to be dwindling, especially with many old staff members quitting the game. Personally, it's a little worrying; I've been playing the game for around 7 years now, back when Beta didn't even exist, back when the game itself was in Beta. It has evolved much since.
What I'd like to ask is regarding the current situation of EE, which seems to be stuck in the whole Unity conversion situation, and seems to currently be at a standstill. Sorry if this is not a desirable topic to post about or inquire about (and if it;s even in the right subforum), but I myself am working with a small team on Unity to work on a small multiplayer project which is still in the early stages; although, being a longtime fan of EE, I've considered asking my team to recreate it in Unity (it will not interfere much with our own projects) and get that part of EE over with for the staff and for the community.

I'd like to ask both moderators and members of the community if this is something worth attempting.
I'd also like to make it clear that I don't want to steal the team's current progress or take their work from them. Mostly to lend a hand if possible.

Hidden text

#2 2017-03-17 15:15:41

XxAtillaxX

Re: Regarding the Current Situation of Everybody Edits

The community has been dwindling over the span of several years, and for the last few months progress has been as well.
It's only been a few days since the change of administration, and progress is starting to made towards the Unity project.

It's still very early to be doing any sort of analysis pertaining to the recent events. I'd wait until an announcement is made.

signature.png
*u stinky*

Wooted by:

#3 2017-03-17 15:32:59

Erith

XxAtillaxX wrote:

The community has been dwindling over the span of several years, and for the last few months progress has been as well.
It's only been a few days since the change of administration, and progress is starting to made towards the Unity project.

It's still very early to be doing any sort of analysis pertaining to the recent events. I'd wait until an announcement is made.

The Unity conversion has been a project that was announced a little over/under a year ago, if I recall correctly. And, unless I misinterpreted the post, it was said there was little progress done on it. With time and effort, it's a project that can be done in probably a couple months or a tad longer.

#4 2017-03-17 15:45:46

XxAtillaxX

Erith wrote:

The Unity conversion has been a project that was announced a little over/under a year ago, if I recall correctly. And, unless I misinterpreted the post, it was said there was little progress done on it. With time and effort, it's a project that can be done in probably a couple months or a tad longer.

It should definitely not take very long with experienced developers.
Do you have a considerable amount of experience with Unity?

signature.png
*u stinky*

#5 2017-03-17 15:47:53

Erith

XxAtillaxX wrote:
Erith wrote:

It should definitely not take very long with experienced developers.
Do you have a considerable amount of experience with Unity?

I myself do not have a considerable amount of experience (in my development team, I'm mostly a writer / composer / director), but my programmer, with whom I closely work, has a good amount of experience and programming in general. Over 15 years for programming. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

#6 2017-03-17 16:07:56

XxAtillaxX

Erith wrote:

I myself do not have a considerable amount of experience (in my development team, I'm mostly a writer / composer / director), but my programmer, with whom I closely work, has a good amount of experience and programming in general. Over 15 years for programming. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

As should be expected, there's a prioritization of administrative tasks within the acquisition, of which delegation of staff will likely take precedence.

signature.png
*u stinky*

#7 2017-03-17 16:53:15

LukeM
Website

Just to let you know, one of the reasons that it was taking so long is that they were (/are) not just directly porting it to Unity, they were also optimising / rewriting / redesigning a lot of it

#8 2017-03-17 17:02:54

Erith

destroyer123 wrote:

Just to let you know, one of the reasons that it was taking so long is that they were (/are) not just directly porting it to Unity, they were also optimising / rewriting / redesigning a lot of it

That seems overly tedious. I would think the optimum prime is to just directly port the essential mechanics and then adjust or redesign the rest from there? That way you essentially have the engine and the game isn't too unfamiliar to others.

#9 2017-03-17 17:18:13

LukeM
Website

Erith wrote:
destroyer123

That seems overly tedious. I would think the optimum prime is to just directly port the essential mechanics and then adjust or redesign the rest from there? That way you essentially have the engine and the game isn't too unfamiliar to others.

Im not sure if they were porting small parts of it or not, all I know is that one of the staff (cant remember who) said that they were rewriting a lot of it

Also, the game is in a bad position currently, features have just been added with little to no designing / planning, which has led to messy, sort of patchwork code, so most of it could be improved a lot.

#10 2017-03-17 17:20:48

Erith

destroyer123 wrote:
Erith wrote:
destroyer123

Im not sure if they were porting small parts of it or not, all I know is that one of the staff (cant remember who) said that they were rewriting a lot of it

Also, the game is in a bad position currently, features have just been added with little to no designing / planning, which has led to messy, sort of patchwork code, so most of it could be improved a lot.

Yeah, that seems to be the case. We all know whose era added a lot of these features //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink
What I'd personally do is likely port the core mechanics of the game (movement, blocks, physics, editing, God mode, mod mode, etc) and then the rest can be added on top of the core engine. This includes more advanced UI, shop, "potions", colours, etc.

#11 2017-03-17 17:28:01, last edited by LukeM (2017-03-17 17:28:52)

LukeM
Website

Erith wrote:
destroyer123 wrote:

Yeah, that seems to be the case. We all know whose era added a lot of these features //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink
What I'd personally do is likely port the core mechanics of the game (movement, blocks, physics, editing, God mode, mod mode, etc) and then the rest can be added on top of the core engine. This includes more advanced UI, shop, "potions", colours, etc.

Even some of those things are a mess... for blocks they just have functions with huge switch case blocks for half blocks / rotatable blocks etc
I guess you could port over some of it though, I dont think there is much wrong with the physics (at least if you want it to function the same as it does now)

#12 2017-03-17 18:29:45

hummerz5

I agree. As creative as this does feel, it is still centered on EE and goes in an EE-related subforum. no big deal, I just made it harder for you to find your topic.

thanks

#13 2017-03-18 02:46:59, last edited by Erith (2017-03-18 02:51:27)

Erith

hummerz5 wrote:

I agree. As creative as this does feel, it is still centered on EE and goes in an EE-related subforum. no big deal, I just made it harder for you to find your topic.

thanks

Thanks for moving it.

Regarding the topic though, why did they choose Unity and not HTML5? The latter could easily be browser based and be converted from Flash a lot easier than it would to rewrite it on Unity.

Edit: That could also simplify some rework in the physics engine (if a "reboot" is truly desired), as well as (potentially) being able to save existing worlds on to it.

#14 2017-03-18 03:31:39

Freckleface

Erith wrote:
hummerz5 wrote:

thanks

Thanks for moving it.

Regarding the topic though, why did they choose Unity and not HTML5? The latter could easily be browser based and be converted from Flash a lot easier than it would to rewrite it on Unity.

Edit: That could also simplify some rework in the physics engine (if a "reboot" is truly desired), as well as (potentially) being able to save existing worlds on to it.

The remake will be HTML in browsers and Unity for the client.

F

Wooted by:

#15 2017-03-18 03:44:03

Jedpogi

ee is currently going irish

叄咶吹吱吅厬匷匕勹动凸刲刳刎凸制冹匸勋像償亡丸乮伶睻豖豔財貜谷谧谕鷙鶂鶢鷑袂蠲蠿勋像償亡丸乮伶睻豖豔㰹㲐㱯㳫㲎財貜吅厬匷匕勹动凸刲刳刎凸衢袶蜽蝽蝇螷虜蘢葖萜蓀蒱臯臼俠俟俘䶳两买予丵乂争䳮䴻䳻䵍䵏䵴丹义䶘乸亖乵么乯圞圝圜圛圚圙團圗圖圕圔圓園亠亞亹亸伏伦冁儿兾冃冫冷冷冥冧凕勓勦劔礞䮼㼿㽗㼟㽵㼼㽹㽴㻻㶈㸁鐒鏔鏟鐷鹳鸟糱紘糹紖瘦癣癶瘱痿皜妍妋奋妘夲太圌四䯗彗垭䮘䰜幼幺螨枞奒㱯㰹㲐㱯㚻㚎㛷瘺皙皁阆阝閁髈薟蕚藃藯藎薒薝蕙薭蕴菲菏萠落萇菞菵萬䪺铭働䛒砯㩾癟䓪星卐卍厚印叄厉厕去叮厝匇匛匍勲区勨厉吪变厹吸吂厯厞䟬䞾侸㐀㐅㐻㓩㔗㕀㘛㖴㖕㗼㘣㘄㖵㘇㘯㘞㘟㖠㖍㱷㲷㱨㱃㲗㳓㲃㲺㳝㳨㳖㲅㱘㳀㳐㳖㳫㳫㔩㒽㒠㓯㓿㓀㒚㒭㓈㒚㓽㓷㔦㕂㙾㘧㚏㜶㛠㝋㛄㜬㛲㛜㜧㜆㚺㚡㜟㝞㞀㝏㞁㞬㞧㝤㝽㞺㞗㝄㜞㝖㝜㞃㞭㟕㟗㡉㟛㠚㠙㡩㠠㟜㠻㡵㣪㢓㣻㣀㢄㢩㣂㤂㥹㣹㥟㤹㤝㥚㥋㤹㥶㤧㤐䫒䫶䭊䫱䬊䪰涢涂涯浹淝淭笼竟筇讏謸讠讟譭讖譍謨謣豺谪豔豤谻豲豤豻豖谕谡豋賏貎貵貏豢賘賌貋跳趺跹踵踣赻趞跅趲踰踷軨躾軎軞軦軾軀躦躀躕軩躙躑辫转辤迏辘辄轴辜迖辦迏辚辭辶辴迉迭辯辻辁迬迧辫鄘郅邮郪郛邯部釐醡釄酷酣醢醥里酶釓釉野金鋁鉏銎鉖銓銼鋓銼鎥鏑鎗鏓鏉鎓鍕鍯鏗鏾鏤鎕鎫鎒鍭鎔鎪鎗鍺鎵鏓鐎鐡铗钖钄铕锓铮铐锍铼锞铡锒

02/04/2021: Sorry for being an unfunny piece of ****, no-good human trash. I hate my **** life.

#16 2017-03-18 04:56:13

Erith

Freckleface wrote:

The remake will be HTML in browsers and Unity for the client.

Ah, that's good at least.

Erith1489809373651372

Board footer