Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-06 04:07:18, last edited by hummerz5 (2017-03-06 04:08:48)

hummerz5

some word discussion

So I was trying to use the word "acclaimedly" in the space of "supposedly" but that's not a word. Does someone know of a word that relies more on the denotation than the connotation to suggest that the information is exactly that-- a claim?

thanks

Also, I found out that "nonplussed" can either be "surprised and confused so much that they are unsure how to react" or " not disconcerted; unperturbed." -- how did we get such conflicting definitions?

Do you have any other words with similar oddities?

thanks

edit: apparently nonplussed is supposed to be the former. we north americans just use it wrong so much that it has an informal contradictory second definition

#2 2017-03-06 04:37:55

SmittyW

Re: some word discussion

The adverb you are looking for is "allegedly".

#3 2017-03-06 05:53:33

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

tfw forgot how to english

Discord: jawp#5123

#4 2017-03-06 14:08:46

hummerz5

SmittyW wrote:

The adverb you are looking for is "allegedly".

thanks! that must be where I was mixing up the essence of the word with a word that already existed. Have a woot, because those are vied for.

MrJaWapa wrote:

tfw forgot how to english

thanks for your contribution

Wooted by: (2)

#5 2017-03-06 15:21:09

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

i have a question
is it correct to say "beat the record" or the only correct phrase is "break the record"
according to this website a phrase such as "beat the record" does not exist but "break the record" does

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#6 2017-03-06 15:57:50, last edited by hummerz5 (2017-03-07 03:36:30)

hummerz5

I've heard both used. Break the record seems more correct, but I wouldn't bat an eye if I heard "so-and-so beat the record!"

edit: here's one for you
"valuable" and "invaluable"
one should be the negation of the other, "in-" -- and yet, they're both quite similar

what even

Wooted by:

#7 2017-03-11 16:27:33

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

hey hi got another question and i need your help hummerz5 (or whoever else is a fluent english speaker or native english)
are the 2 phrases below grammatically correct? (can be used in serious stuff like essays, are not the slang type of talk)
"to catch ablaze" (as in to catch on fire)
"caught ablaze" (as in caught on fire)

generally the thing is that i have a big english exam coming in a few months and i want to improve my english and learn some new phrases/idioms for the essay part of the exam
the exam levels are B1 and B2
(also i should probably mention that it's a british english exam not american english)

if i have used "the" article somewhere in this post where it's not supposed to be used please tell me

i8SwC8p.png

#8 2017-03-11 16:39:25

hummerz5

for what it's worth, if I ever use "ablaze" it's not in serious discussion. For me, I use grandiloquent language ironically.

As you note, it's more common to say "catch fire" -- actually, I might go so far as to think someone checking that exam would be struck by the language.

However, I have heard of the less-qualified use: "something is ablaze." That still seems a bit excessive, but perhaps that's me articulating my personal use of English as opposed to what's actually fine and dandy.

I would not say that "caught ablaze" is an English idiom, at least as far as american english is concerned.

your usage of "the" seems pretty swell

#9 2017-03-11 16:41:04, last edited by Xfrogman43 (2017-03-11 16:41:22)

Xfrogman43

Yes they are correct. your english seems fine enough to create a well-written essay.

zsbu6Xm.png thanks zoey aaaaaaaaaaaand thanks latif for the avatar

#10 2017-03-11 16:53:04

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

damn i always thought it's "catch on fire", as opposed to "catch fire"
thanks guys

i8SwC8p.png

#11 2017-03-11 19:26:11

skullz17

I think both are acceptable.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#12 2017-03-11 20:33:08

Abelysk

Conceivably, perhaps, assumably

#13 2017-04-15 18:16:50

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

hey im here again with another question and i need your help

there is a test where you have to finish the sentence:
"Pass me the sugar, ...?"
A) Do you?
B) Don't you?
C) Will you?
D) Won't you?
im absolutely sure the answer is neither A nor B
i think it's C but im not sure, usually things like this are used together with "not" but i have the strange feeling it's supposed to be C as opposed to D.
also, would a "would you?" part fit in here too? it's not an answer to the test but i just want to know whether it would be correct to put "would you" in there as well

i8SwC8p.png

Wooted by:

#14 2017-04-15 18:27:18

Anatoly

maxi123 wrote:

A) Do you?
B) Don't you?
C) Will you?
D) Won't you?
i think it's C but im not sure, usually things like this are used together with "not" but i have the strange feeling it's supposed to be C as opposed to D.
also, would a "would you?" part fit in here too? it's not an answer to the test but i just want to know whether it would be correct to put "would you" in there as well

It's B or D as the main sentence is positive

Wooted by:

#15 2017-04-15 18:49:30

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

i did some internet research, seems like i was correct //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile
found the answer to this test:
9b609f15e8d44a0f8167b7e8ea3dfebf.png
according to people in the comments under the poll, if the first sentence is imperative and positive then the second part is also positive
that probably means in other cases the second part is negative

i8SwC8p.png

#16 2017-04-15 19:49:45, last edited by Freckleface (2017-04-15 22:23:03)

Freckleface

AnatolyEE wrote:
maxi123 wrote:

A) Do you?
B) Don't you?
C) Will you?
D) Won't you?

Yes, never use a double-positive.

/s Why are you guys so clueless?

F

#17 2017-04-15 20:14:20

hummerz5

Wait why never use a double positive?

"Looks like rain, no?"
"Looks like rain, yeah?" seem like reasonable things to say.

Now, I would picture myself saying "get on with it, will you?" more often than "get on with it, won't you?" but I wouldn't think that either was wrong.

I would even say "run a lot, don't you?" and "run a lot, do you?" but I suppose that wouldn't be imperative.

Wooted by: (2)

#18 2017-04-15 20:24:35

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Freckleface wrote:
AnatolyEE wrote:
maxi123 wrote:

A) Do you?
B) Don't you?
C) Will you?
D) Won't you?

Yes, never use a double-positive.

the said test has a double-positive as a correct answer and i took it from https://www.newschool.co.uk/ which i think is a reliable source

i8SwC8p.png

#19 2017-04-15 20:56:21

Ratburntro44
Website

if it sounds correct to an l1 then it is correct unless they have a language disorder

#20 2017-04-16 05:18:45

Anatoly

Then we have been thought in school wrong. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad

#21 2017-04-16 06:48:39

Swarth100

Kinda off topic but...

At times I believe I associate a certain sound and "taste" to specific words.
When putting a sentence together at times I'm looking for a word that "tastes" just right: the right type of adverb with the right number of syllables, the right vowels for alliteration, etc.
So what happens is I get a "sound" in return, and ALL THE TIME I make the mistake of crafting non-words (such as acclaimedly), just because I can't remember the right English word for that particular taste and sound (i.e. As Smitty pointed out "alleggedly").

Anyone with the same issue?

#22 2017-04-16 10:45:01

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Damn you freckleface
2nd question though, could I stuff a "would you" in there instead?

Swarth100 wrote:

Kinda off topic but...

When putting a sentence together at times I'm looking for a word that "tastes" just right: the right type of adverb with the right number of syllables, the right vowels for alliteration, etc.
So what happens is I get a "sound" in return, and ALL THE TIME I make the mistake of crafting non-words (such as acclaimedly), just because I can't remember the right English word for that particular taste and sound (i.e. As Smitty pointed out "alleggedly").

You mean creating new non-existing words by connecting usual words with parts like "-ly", "-ness" etc to make a word with a slightly different tone/mood?

i8SwC8p.png

#23 2017-04-16 13:48:16

hummerz5

oh heh I forgot to answer that. Seems like a swell solution. "Pass the ketchup, would you?" yeah

What sort of emphasis are we placing on the idea of "taste" -- like are you neurologically sensing taste or are we just metaphorically trying to explain working through the language on a "Feels right" basis?

I, too, often create words that have questionable authenticity. That is, because so many adverbs are adjective + ly, or nouns are [verb] + tion (or something like that) I find myself with words that may or may not be legit.

Wooted by:

#24 2017-04-16 16:01:22

Kirby

Swarth100 wrote:

Kinda off topic but...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexical … ynesthesia

Wooted by:

#25 2017-04-16 16:04:02, last edited by Swarth100 (2017-04-16 16:19:25)

Swarth100

Kirby wrote:
Swarth100 wrote:

Kinda off topic but...
[...]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexical … ynesthesia

Dang, must add to my psycho disorder list

maxi123 wrote:

You mean creating new non-existing words by connecting usual words with parts like "-ly", "-ness" etc to make a word with a slightly different tone/mood?

It's more like adjusting a course of a meal. You know you want to have pasta with a tomato sauce, but then you're unsure if you want to add a hint of satuéed vegetables (onion+carrot?), or maybe wanna give a hint of spicyness? Or what about working on how the plate itself is presented to the audience, rather than on the actual meal quality.

I guess it could be compared to writing a symphony, where every word has a very specific sound and adds some character to the melody. At times you might just need a 4 syllable word with the "th" sound to soothen a harsh sentence, or you feel the urge to have a certain buildup to emphasise specific verbs or nouns.

hummerz5 wrote:

What sort of emphasis are we placing on the idea of "taste" -- like are you neurologically sensing taste or are we just metaphorically trying to explain working through the language on a "Feels right" basis?

I, too, often create words that have questionable authenticity. That is, because so many adverbs are adjective + ly, or nouns are [verb] + tion (or something like that) I find myself with words that may or may not be legit.

Yeah I might have abused the word taste. It might be better explained as an inner feeling of "sensing" what the most appropriate word for a given sentence is. As if words have, to some extent, specific "tastes" and "sounds" other than unique meanings.

EDIT:

Just to give an idea this is an extract of (what was) my personal statement for University Application.
It took me ages to write every single sentence as I would ponder to impact of every single word at the semantic, auditive and "flavour" level.

swarth100 wrote:

What really initiated my interest for Computer Science was programming. I was enthralled by
the amazement of entering the logical structure of a computer, of being able to reason as it
does and, mostly, of acquiring the skills necessary to create digital equivalents to the mental
products of one’s mind. I started with a Python beginner’s guide, but gradually took it further
to independent learning; I soon realised that with programming I could code my own world
and decide how I wanted it to be.

Swarth1001492355042654929

Board footer